Football World Cup 2018 Discussions

Mentor

Japan play some decent stuff but even at 2-0 up there was always a feeling Belgium could rally. A good game to watch if you weren’t invested in either team.

I missed the game earlier but had a feeling it would be a Sweden win. Not sure how deserved it was or if it was a good game, all I have is stats in front of me.

Big one starts soon. Is it in fact “coming home” or are they going home? (Sorry, it’s always there to be said!) Who’s everyone got? Can Sanchez handle Kane? You’re a Spurs fan Mentor, yeah?

Yeah, England have their best chances possibly ever to make it to the finals. Personally i would love the England vs Russia in the semi final and England vs France in the final, although a rematch with the main teams of England vs Belgium would be nice as well. That will mean we will have 8 Spurs players in the finals of the World cup!

• Upvote 1

Definitely the best chance they’ve had or will have for some time. It’s like other teams have done the hard work for them but you can only beat who is in front of you. Good on them if they do it.

I’m on holiday just now and having some good banter with a lot of Scottish, Welsh and English lads. Watched the games with them and was fine. Unfortunately the few ruin it for the many and just after the game myself and my 10 year old son got called “Filthy Scottish faggots” by some horror of a woman and had a pint launched at us from across the room. Plastic cup fortunately. But what the fuck man?!?!

Definitely the best chance they’ve had or will have for some time. It’s like other teams have done the hard work for them but you can only beat who is in front of you. Good on them if they do it.

I’m on holiday just now and having some good banter with a lot of Scottish, Welsh and English lads. Watched the games with them and was fine. Unfortunately the few ruin it for the many and just after the game myself and my 10 year old son got called “Filthy Scottish faggots” by some horror of a woman and had a pint launched at us from across the room. Plastic cup fortunately. But what the fuck man?!?!

Damn dude. I could only imaging how to handle that. Maybe a shovel to the face for that foul mouthed Bitch of a woman. If your kid wasn't there it would be a good laugh but damn.

i think Croatia goose is cooked .They look super tired in the Russian game cant see then recovering before the game with england who or as fresh as daisy's

France and Belgium is a coin flip both have talented players but both dont play as a team that great .

Hate to say it but my money would be on England to lift it .They have the easiest route to the final in the history of the world cup .I think they beat a tired Croatia team 2-0 and have a chance to rest key players near the end .Belguim and france look like it could go to penalty tiring the France and Belgium for the final

I think Belgium and France are better teams than England, however it is England we are debating here. Most English people would of taken a 1/8 at the start of the WC, 1/4 would probably had been beyond their dreams. Getting to the finals with a real chance of winning it? I mean if you would ask 100 English fans, you would not find more than 5-6 fanatics that would believe that. I think we have played better than expected, but we have also been fortunate with the draw's, avoiding any of the favorites all the way to the semi-finals. Our group stage was a cake walk in the end, we did not even need the last game. I am not taking away anything from their performance, i think we are doing well, we have lots of fight in us, we have strength, conditioning and in some places some class as well, but this is not what you would call a "World cup winning team".

If we do end up winning it, i think "talent wise" it could be the worse team to win the WC for..................................maybe ever, or at least as long as i remember. I do not remember 1982, but every team since then that has won it, probably had more talent than the current England team. So taking that in mind, we better take full advantage of this opportunity.

They have the easiest route to the final in the history of the world cup

Highly debatable. Germany in 2002 had as easy a route to the finals as I have seen.

8-0 vs Saudi Arabia (GS)

1-1 vs Republic of Ireland (GS)

2-0 vs Cameroon (GS)

1-0 vs Paraguay (R16)

1-0 vs USA (QF)

1-0 vs South Korea (SF)

I think vs Croatia could go either way. They will be more fatigued going into the game, but their team is still very much a threat. We could win the tournament, but if we beat Croatia, whoever we face in the finals will be a tremendously difficult game. Regardless, this tournament has been a tremendous success for England as a whole, and it's a great experience for the team. England had one of the youngest squads going into the whole thing, and they've all done themselves proud with where they have gotten.

• Upvote 2

Highly debatable. Germany in 2002 had as easy a route to the finals as I have seen.

8-0 vs Saudi Arabia (GS)

1-1 vs Republic of Ireland (GS)

2-0 vs Cameroon (GS)

1-0 vs Paraguay (R16)

1-0 vs USA (QF)

1-0 vs South Korea (SF)

I think vs Croatia could go either way. They will be more fatigued going into the game, but their team is still very much a threat. We could win the tournament, but if we beat Croatia, whoever we face in the finals will be a tremendously difficult game. Regardless, this tournament has been a tremendous success for England as a whole, and it's a great experience for the team. England had one of the youngest squads going into the whole thing, and they've all done themselves proud with where they have gotten.

I agree that it is debatable and I would admit that due to being in the UK, more spotlight is on England in every tournament than other countries so it maybe stands out more when they get an easier run like this one. Whereas Germany were just progressing without too much emphasis on who they were playing, if that makes sense.

I would suggest the potential for slip ups for Germany in 2002 was maybe greater. Ok they destroyed Saudi Arabia but Republic of Ireland and Cameroon could have caused problems. If England failed against either Panama or Tunisia in this tournament however then I’m sure the media would have been cruel towards them. That being said, I don’t know what’s going on in Germany right now. I guess the point is that being here I see first hand the expectation, elation and disappointment that surrounds England at every tournament.

I also wanna add that South Korea were awesome that year. Taking out both Spain and Italy I’m sure. So the run is probably more comparable than people would remember.

I’ve said earlier in this thread that I am a bit of a fan of Croatia. England have the potential to win though, it is a difficult game for both. Whoever goes to the final though is going to face a scary French side if theyre on their game. With the exception of Girouds finishing I thought they put in a pretty much perfect performance against Belgium last night.

i think Croatia goose is cooked .They look super tired in the Russian game cant see then recovering before the game with england who or as fresh as daisy's

Hate to say it but my money would be on England to lift it .They have the easiest route to the final in the history of the world cup .I think they beat a tired Croatia team 2-0 and have a chance to rest key players near the end .

Nope

• Downvote 2

Well I have to say that I found both semi final matches a good watch. England started well tonight and seemed to have a lot of confidence about their play. I didn’t share the pundits/commentators view that England “dominated” although Croatia did seem to lack some spark in the first half. A different Croatia turned up for the second half though and I felt England struggled from then on. Overall I reckon the finalists deserve their spots and it should be a cracking game.

Nope

Yeah i got that one wrong :blush: :blush: .England look way more tired later in the game then Croatia which came as a big shock .Croatia upped the pace in the second half and extra time and England fell apart .No idea where they got the energy to be honest .

Again this was another draining game with extra time i going for France win in the final .All then hard games have to take effect eventually

England on top all the 1st half & come out for the second in defense mode fucking wankers. Deserved to lose in the end. A world cup final there for the taking & they blew it. Forget in another 4 years i dont care if this squad is young noway are the germans, spanish, italians or anyone going to be as piss poor next time. Getting to the semis looks great but on the field we beat fucking noone