The Island Season 13 Previews

WELTERWEIGHT - FINAL

Jack Black (19-1) [1] Vs Bradley Lemons (15-5) [4]

I said before this round that it was good to see Jack Black tested a little bit more by going 3 rounds with Liko Dares. Apparently this insulted him because it took just 18 seconds to dispatch of Jesse Thomas Babcock and book his spot in the final. Similarly, Bradley Lemons had a comfortable win by keeping the distance with Werner Heisenberg before knocking him out with an overhand right just before the 2 minute mark. Now, where does that leave us? Jack Black has scored two first round knockout wins over Bradley Lemons, defending his Rogues WW title in each. However, that is dismissive of what happened in that rematch. Jack Black comes out very aggressive and trying to work his clinch game. Bradley wants to step back and counter. Round 1 goes by, maybe a slight edge to Gentleman Jack. Round 2 starts…BOOM, down goes Black. Fighting for his life, Jack desperately tries to cover up. He survives until the third minute mark and….BOOM again. This time it’s Jack who lands the shot and Bradley tries covering up. Shots get through his guard and the referee is forced to step in. Jack Black defends his title, but Bradley Lemons earned his respect. So now we’re back again. Two men who want to stand in the centre of that cage and throw bombs. Either man could walk away from this as the Season 13 Island Welterweight Champion in a matter of seconds, and everyone’s tuning in to see it.

• Upvote 4

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT - FINAL

Kil Bon Hwa (17-1) [3] Vs Stevo Caruga (13-1) [2]

THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENED! Kil Bon Hwa has ended the legendary unstoppable reign of terror of Karockas Thibodeaux and booked his place in the final. If you want a little bit of context, unless I am missing something, Torhte Finlayson has the greatest Island undefeated record of all time at 19-0. Torhte is managed by Kil Bon Hwa’s manager Action Jackson. If Karockas defeated Kil and won in the final, he would have matched Torhte’s accomplishment. Action didn’t want this to happen and put his all into stopping the reign. Rockafella got the clinch working early and managed to drop Hwa late in the first round. Hwa came back strong in the second and managed to open a nasty gash above the eye of Karockas as blood pooled into his eye socket. The third round was razor close. All to play for. 1-1 with one round to go. But the referee stops it. The cut is too bad and Karockas is deemed unable to continue. Hwa goes to the final. Phew. Drama left right and centre, and now I feel bad as Stevo Caruga over here has absolutely no drama at all.  For the fourth fight in a row Caruga ends up on the ground early, slaps on a submission, back home by supper. So here we are, the final is upon us. Kil Bon Hwa, the former Rogues champion who wanted to finish off this season proving he’s still the best. Stevo Caruga, the newly reigning VFC champion who wanted to show everyone that he was just hitting his stride before the tournament. This all comes down to whether Hwa can keep the fight standing or not.

• Upvote 6

HEAVYWEIGHT - FINAL

Havardr Vollan (13-0) [1] Vs Qing Wu (7-1) [18]

You have to give it up for Qing Wu. From being seeded 18th, to defeating number 15, 2, 25 and 14. This has been an incredible run. Havardr needed just 38 seconds to finish off Kiase Quama to book his spot in the final and protect his amazing undefeated record, while Wu was unable to match him by a whole 2 seconds as Iulian Simionescu went down at 40 on the dot. Two devastating strikers with the power to strike fear in any opponent. Unlike the other final breakdowns, there’s not a massive amount I feel needs to be said here. Wu came into this as an underdog but I feel that by this stage and by the wins he’s achieved, he now has as much of a chance of winning this fight as Vollan does. Vollan wants to go down in history with the other Island tournament champions to win without tasting professional defeat. If we take the one loss on Wu’s record, it was an early submission loss, so we can’t even extrapolate any data from that. If I perhaps try to bring a single differential into the equation, Vollan struggled early with Iulian Simionescu before stopping him the second round, so a slight edge to Wu based on that. But really, there’s no splitting this. Both are at the top of their game with fight handing power in both fists. Our job is to sit back and watch.

• Upvote 8

SEASON 13 END OF ISLAND TOURNAMENT - LIGHTWEIGHTS (155lbs)

Finals

(#5) Gillechriosd McCoy (12-5) vs. (#2) Lesley Dancer (15-2) 

The good lord certainly blessed the work of humble servant Gillechriosd McCoy and provided him with a spectacular first round TKO over #1 seed Albert Einstein. After such dominating performances all the way through to this point, it only took one occasion for Einstein's calculations to be incorrect and that in turn allowed McCoy to smite him justly for his failed takedown attempts. In truth, it was a little bit disappointing to see Einstein go out without much of a fight but then really that just points to the level of performance for McCoy. He now faces the #2 seed and final boss of the season 13 end of island tournament Lesley Dancer. Dancer had a tougher time in reaching the final when he faced off against #4 Purple Aki. He struggled to find his rhythm in the first round where Aki was able to take him down and soften him up with ground and pound. He couldn't put him away though and Dancer came back like a gelded bull in the second, winging ferocious shots to the head and body and caring little as to what landed. Luckily for him enough did eventually find their mark and at around the two minute mark, Aki was cut, wobbled and sent to bed. 

These two fighters have looked fantastic through the tournament and either one of them would make well deserving victors. Both favour fisticuffs but it is Dancer who looks to be the better bet overall with his perfect 100% record of KO's over his fifteen victories. No one has yet managed to KO him whilst McCoy, for all of his own KO prowess, has been far more vulnerable in that department having suffered a total of four KO losses. However, all two of Dancer's losses have been via submission and it just so happens that the good lord has seen fit to bless McCoy with a BJJ blue belt and just enough submission savvy to have picked up a sub victory on his pilgrimage. Surely it would make for a blessed ending and a truly glorious way for McCoy to end this final battle between good and evil. Let us pray for McCoy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Ikkitakeda said:

Morton Masters: Now I know you guys probably expect me to be classy in my defeat but I'm going to disappoint you. How did I lose split decision? Rounds 1&2 we're mine. Need more judges like judge 3. Landed more shots, had him busted up and bleeding clearly doing more damage, and spent more time in the dominant clinch position instead of the one being meshed up with their back to the cage. So significant shots landed, cage control, and damage I was the leader of for two of the three rounds. I was robbed.

All you did was try to hug me, and you weren't really too good at that either. According to my calculus, totals shots is in my favor too. Easy win really.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, clydebankblitz said:

HEAVYWEIGHT - FINAL

Havardr Vollan (13-0) [1] Vs Qing Wu (7-1) [18]

You have to give it up for Qing Wu. From being seeded 18th, to defeating number 15, 2, 25 and 14. This has been an incredible run. Havardr needed just 38 seconds to finish off Kiase Quama to book his spot in the final and protect his amazing undefeated record, while Wu was unable to match him by a whole 2 seconds as Iulian Simionescu went down at 40 on the dot. Two devastating strikers with the power to strike fear in any opponent. Unlike the other final breakdowns, there’s not a massive amount I feel needs to be said here. Wu came into this as an underdog but I feel that by this stage and by the wins he’s achieved, he now has as much of a chance of winning this fight as Vollan does. Vollan wants to go down in history with the other Island tournament champions to win without tasting professional defeat. If we take the one loss on Wu’s record, it was an early submission loss, so we can’t even extrapolate any data from that. If I perhaps try to bring a single differential into the equation, Vollan struggled early with Iulian Simionescu before stopping him the second round, so a slight edge to Wu based on that. But really, there’s no splitting this. Both are at the top of their game with fight handing power in both fists. Our job is to sit back and watch.

Been rooting for Qing Wu. He's one of my favorite Rogues.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ikkitakeda said:

Morton Masters: Then you need to go back to school and learn basic addition.

Morton Masters: Wow must have been a really terrible third round for both of us and if so then I should have won that round from control because apparently there were no strikes at all in that one. Or do you want to go back reevaluate and recount the first two rounds again. Either way you lost 2 rounds to 1.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ikkitakeda said:

Morton Masters: Wow must have been a really terrible third round for both of us and if so then I should have won that round from control because apparently there were no strikes at all in that one. Or do you want to go back reevaluate and recount the first two rounds again. Either way you lost 2 rounds to 1.

OK you lost me I have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gwad12345 said:

OK you lost me I have no idea what you're talking about.

Morton Masters: That's apparent because the original comment must have lost you. Rounds 1&2 you were out stricken, were cut and cut further opened, and had your back to the cage most of those two rounds. So how two judges could score you two rounds is beyond me. But fight was left in the hands of the judges.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ikkitakeda said:

Morton Masters: That's apparent because the original comment must have lost you. Rounds 1&2 you were out stricken, were cut and cut further opened, and had your back to the cage most of those two rounds. So how two judges could score you two rounds is beyond me. But fight was left in the hands of the judges.

Ah, I see what you mean. The truth is I could have smashed you anywhere, including the clinch, but I chose to be boring and go for the guaranteed victory rather than allow the 1% chance you could get a doctor stoppage. Really just an easy W, you were totally gassed by mid second round, all those failed hugs vs my 80 damage saw to that. Thank you fighting the fight I predicted to the tee.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gwad12345 said:

Ah, I see what you mean. The truth is I could have smashed you anywhere, including the clinch, but I chose to be boring and go for the guaranteed victory rather than allow the 1% chance you could get a doctor stoppage. Really just an easy W, you were totally gassed by mid second round, all those failed hugs vs my 80 damage saw to that. Thank you fighting the fight I predicted to the tee.

Morton Masters: The truth is should have been 2 rounds to 1 this way. So that puts that easy W you talking about to rest. And next time you get stopped.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clydebankblitz said:

And just like that, every review is done. Big thanks to Tycoon Judas and Alfred for their reviews. By my probably incorrect maths that was 176 fights that we reviewed so that's a good shift over 5 days. Good luck to anybody left in the finals!

Thanks to Gollum, Alfred and Judas for all the hard work  with the pre/reviews.

Thans to everyone else for playing.

Much appreciated. See you next season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Awesome work with these write ups and what a great tournament across all divisions. I took a risk with McCoy and chose to take the fight to the ground. Too bad Gillie didn't quite have the BJJ skills to sub Dancer but still an impressive tourney for him. He proved all his doubters wrong and hopefully can carry that moment back to the mainland. Word on the street is that there are at least a few orgs interested in bringing his highlight reel finishes to their show. 

• Like 1