Boba Fett: The Interview Continues (Part II)

I arrived at Anthrax Island at 4:30 in the morning. The sun hadnt even begun to peak from the night's sky. Despite the fact that Boba Fett said that yesterday evenings training session was his list, hes sparring with Chad Kaufman in the small make shift cage. His corner men are evaluating him, likely to make sure he is cognizant of their instructions during a fight. He sees me and tosses me a little head nod to acknowledge my presence. The car service is picking us up at 5. Boba hops in the shower and emerges a few minutes later with his Blitzkrieg sweatshirt and jeans.

We arrived and JFK Airport around 6:30. For some reason, there was a bleating goat in a crate near the entry where the skycaps were ferrying luggage back and forth. Boba and his small entourage all had tickets for the flight in economy, but I didnt. He was planning to buy me a ticket at the booth, but all economy seats were sold out. The ticket agent, an elderly black woman with a thinning afro, told him that first class tickets to Hilo were available. Seven of them, to be precise. Without a thought, Boba told her he would like to upgrade the five tickets on his credit card from economy to first class and to purchase an additional first class ticket for me. I thanked Boba, and he reassuringly gave me a pat on the shoulder as if to say, No problem.

We got through security and walked through Terminal F to our gate in what seemed like record time. Our flight didnt leave until 8:47, but we were sitting at the gate by 7:30. I reached into my carry-on luggage and pulled out my digital recorder.

Why Blitz?

Fett: The money was nice, but, look, I received several offers with much better pay and rejected them. Why Blitz? Thats simple. I want to be number one. Ive always wanted to be number one. As a little kid, I grew up watching wrestling. My favorite is, and always was, Ric Flair. (He holds four fingers out on each hand while strutting with a goofy grin on his face.) To be the man, youve got to beat the man! (Boba lets out a Flair-like Whooo!) At the time I signed, Manny Baddabing reigned supreme over the middleweight division for years (in Tycoon time). I wanted a shot at him. I still want a shot at him.

Are you calling him out?

Fett: Christ, no.

Then what?

Fett: I would equate it to a sign of respect. Hes the man. He tripped up against Varsi, but he exacted his revenge pretty emphatically last month. Before that, Baddabing hadnt last in over four years (Tycoon time). Someday, Id like to be mentioned in the same breath as guys like Baddabing, guys I respect and look up to. To do that, I feel like Ive got to beat the man.

You think that Baddabing is still the best middleweight in the world?

Fett: Absolutely. Like I said, he went four years without losing and promptly avenged his loss. No reason to take him out of that spot.

What about the winner of the Pasi v. Glozman fight in the newly minted Nordic Fire Championship?

Fett: Without a doubt, one of those guys can lay claim to the number one ranking, but for my money that title belongs to Baddabing and if you want it, you have to come beat him…or whoever beats him.

What about the rest of Blitzkriegs middleweight division?

Fett: Its pretty sick. I try not to pay attention to the rankings too much. I leave that to you guys, but Blitz has 9 of the top 100 middleweights in the world.

Do you think youre making the jump into the shark tank too early in your career?

Fett: Could be. Could be. Im just 21 years old and only been training a little over three years. Mannys been in the game a long time. Hes one of the pioneers. Same with a guy like Fedor Belfort. Then you have guys who are in the peak of their careers like [Hiro] Protagonist and [Rick] Thomas.

Did you watch the Dawson Hopkins v. Sunny Disposition fight?

Fett: I didnt watch it live, but Ive watched it several times while training for Sunny.

What did you think of Sunny?

Fett: Without saying too much, I think Sunny is a great fighter. Hes a lot like me in many ways. I think he might be a little more well-rounded, but Im confident in my over skillset.

Hopkins?

Fett: That kid wowed me. He went into that fight as, what, a -550 underdog? He looked like it too in that first round. He came back in the second and really started turning the tides. He really changed the fight in the last minute of the second when he knocked Sunny down. Hopkins straight up tooled Sunny in the last round.

How do you think hell do against Baddabing?

Fett: Ill never bet against Baddabing.

(A young man wearing shorts and a light, long sleeved shirt walks by. He appears to give Boba the hang loose sign. Boba responds in kind, thinking hes a fan, or at the very least, a Blitz fan. Embarrassed, moments later, Boba realizes that the mans carry-on is a short board. After a brief discussion, Boba learns that the young man is going to the North Shore for a surfing competition. They also discuss Bobas upcoming professional fight. Both men wish each other good luck. The flight attendant calls, Now boarding all first class passengers for Flight 641 from New York, New York to Hilo, Hawaii. Thats our call.)

Gunmetal, you clearly don't spend enough time in chat...the Boba train will never be derailed:) I'd be disappointed if Boba got crushed, but that was about as close as fights come. I'm not disappointed at all.

Sliders against elite competition are a little different than I'm used to, but I learned a lot about Fett and elite sliders in this fight.

The epilogue from Chapter I of the Boba interviews will continue. Then...onto chapter 2.