Another Damn "Ethics" Thread - The Farming of Hype

KingEpicity

I really want an answer for something from everyone in general to clear things up. This original post wasn't to call out Bjorn or anything but I have heard mixed answers on this and previously I was told quite adamantly that this was considered farming hype. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. The little bit of feedback I got was pretty mixed. Some consider it farming some just don't give a shit. So I wanted to see what the general consensus on scenarios like this is without blowing up Bjorn's thread, which I wasn't trying to do. I already asked Marky to delete that post.

http://www.mmatycoon...803&fidb=251685

777140ef87effcfbc03cad0ce1cafc69.png

Is this not hype farming?

Looks to me JLP is volunteering to have the hype farmed from his island guys and given to a fighter that is actually has a future on the roster. The mismatch is clear, what's going to happen is clear, the hype switch is clear.

Maybe this doesn't qualify as hype farming ethically or maybe it does. I have no idea. I just want to know for myself. I just want answers.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It's not illegal and an Island fighter with hype is about as useless as tits on a bullfrog.

:D

^Contain the rage Clyde, contain the rage :knifehead:

:D Poor Clyde. It's bad enough you're the second fattest kid in South Park.

A guess a bigger question since no one minds scenarios like this is, what constitute "hype farming"? 'Cause this is making really unsure if this is even a real thing or just one of those things to accuse orgs you don't like of doing.

i get what your saying but this example is a bad example just because the island fighter doesnt deserve the hype he has, thus nor being ranked higher at this moment -- but on other hand i have seen fights like this where lower skilled fighter still wins -- there use to be many orgs that did what you are saying but it just this one is a bad example cause many look at it as the lower skilled fighters doesnt deserve the rank he has

• Upvote 3

i get what your saying but this example is a bad example just because the island fighter doesnt deserve the hype he has, thus nor being ranked higher at this moment -- but on other hand i have seen fights like this where lower skilled fighter still wins -- there use to be many orgs that did what you are saying but it just this one is a bad example cause many look at it as the lower skilled fighters doesnt deserve the rank he has

This is where people seem to be getting the miscommunication. This was the example I chose because I was unsure if it was or not because it was an island guy with inflated hype. I wasn't trying to accuse anyone which is why I more reworded and asked the simple question, is this example hype farming or not hype farming.

Basically, (sorry Clyde I love you) you are saying since it's inflated Island hype it's undeserved and no reason it can't be transferred to the real game. Thanks PBR, this is the kind feedback I was looking for. Thanks for the reply man.

• Upvote 1

I'm with PBR on this one Ryan, he said it very well.

I get where you're coming from, but JLP is a veteran of the game & probably is just trying to put on a good high hyped fight for his friends and his org.. Win or lose..

I wouldn't consider that hype farming.

:)

• Upvote 2

+1s for everyone who replied. Thanks for the answers. Yeah the biggest thing was the fact that JLP was the manager (and matchmaker) so if he wants to give his hype away then that is pretty much his decision right? I just recalled asking the question when I was a n00b and someone answered wayy differently. Thanks for the answers guys and sorry for the use of the example but it was perfect example for something I wanted clarification on.

• Upvote 1

I give i then the benefit of the doubt here since there trying to raise money for noobs with this event .I suppose they just what any high hype fight thy can get on the card

This is where people seem to be getting the miscommunication. This was the example I chose because I was unsure if it was or not because it was an island guy with inflated hype. I wasn't trying to accuse anyone which is why I more reworded and asked the simple question, is this example hype farming or not hype farming.

There was a great example there a few months a go.Some guys had a load of multi s in his org and he just kept fighting then again and again .When they have enough hype build up they would lose to one of main account guys thus giving him rise in the rankings and hype.etc this what i would consider hype farming

• Upvote 1

The victim is the game when it suffers from hype inflation. Like when mid tier orgs have fighters in the top 100 from hype that came from nowhere.

Which leads to money inflation within the game which is another issue amoung others..

This is a perfect example of hype farning, if it was any other manager feeding hype to their org they would be critisized..

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I give i then the benefit of the doubt here since there trying to raise money for noobs with this event .I suppose they just what any high hype fight thy can get on the card

There was a great example there a few months a go.Some guys had a load of multi s in his org and he just kept fighting then again and again .When they have enough hype build up they would lose to one of main account guys thus giving him rise in the rankings and hype.etc this what i would consider hype farming

If one manager has two guys fight against each other, neither of them gain or lose hype. The org gets hype for the fight however.

Yep, there seems to be an issue with Island fighters and their hype as they can get quite high up the P4P rankings iirc.

I feel the opposite.. If it was anyone but Bjorn or JLP, no one would care at all..

Pretty much.

I got that island hype fair and square, even if Island hype is inflated. Because the fighter doesnt have a future, I'll go ahead and have him fight a fighter signed long term to NYFN for the orgs benefit. I'm going to do it with Wilson Wills too (still looking for an opponent), but he will go to Highlanders afterwards and continue on with his career. I'll take a sizable hit to my manager rank, but manager rank hasnt been a big deal for me for quite a while.

While we are having an conversation on ethics, I would also like to point out that Mr Epicity works for an org where the owner routinely fills out his cards by having his own fighters fight each other to avoid having a penalty for a non-full card. Sometimes 3 of the 10 fights were his own fighters fighting each other. I'm curious where the opinion of the rest of the community falls in on that situation.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Pretty much.

I got that island hype fair and square, even if Island hype is inflated. Because the fighter doesnt have a future, I'll go ahead and have him fight a fighter signed long term to NYFN for the orgs benefit. I'm going to do it with Wilson Wills too (still looking for an opponent), but he will go to Highlanders afterwards and continue on with his career. I'll take a sizable hit to my manager rank, but manager rank hasnt been a big deal for me for quite a while.

While we are having an conversation on ethics, I would also like to point out that Mr Epicity works for an org where the owner routinely fills out his cards by having his own fighters fight each other to avoid having a penalty for a non-full card. Sometimes 3 of the 10 fights were his own fighters fighting each other. I'm curious where the rest of the community falls in on that situation.

Mr Epicuty should be publicly burned for that. What a shame
  • Downvote 2

Pretty much.

While we are having an conversation on ethics, I would also like to point out that Mr Epicity works for an org where the owner routinely fills out his cards by having his own fighters fight each other to avoid having a penalty for a non-full card. Sometimes 3 of the 10 fights were his own fighters fighting each other. I'm curious where the opinion of the rest of the community falls in on that situation.

I agree and that is literally exactly how I stated the scendario was going down. It was an island fighter with no future but a ton of hype, basically giving it to a fighter who actually has a future in the org where as the Island guy is looking at retirement (Or HG forever). I just wanted to get the real consensus on it and the public has spoken that it is fine. Was never trying to put you or Bjorn on the spot but it was literally the exact type of scenario I had questions about.

There is no rule about testing your fighters on cards nor any established line of ethics but if anything having 0-0 fighters on a card only hurts the org. If we're talking about fighters over 1000 p4p mark in hype fighting each other then it helps the org. Spar bots with no hype don't help the org either aside from being a filler fight. I see no reason why anyone would willingly let a card go ahead without 10 fights, that would just be plain stupidity. I always test my fighters against each other, that way I know way more than what I have in that fighter than doing a lame QFC match up. There is no hype gain in that scenario either. Not sure what kind of shit you're trying to stir JLP because you dislike Grant but bringing up something like that is reaching. It's funny how you just couldn't resist bringing up Grant. Your hate for him is quite out there.

Mr Epicuty should be publicly burned for that. What a shame

:D Yeah fuck that guy. Epussity is shady as fuck.

I agree and that is literally exactly how I stated the scendario was going down. It was an island fighter with no future but a ton of hype, basically giving it to a fighter who actually has a future in the org where as the Island guy is looking at retirement (Or HG forever). I just wanted to get the real consensus on it and the public has spoken that it is fine. Was never trying to put you or Bjorn on the spot but it was literally the exact type of scenario I had questions about.

There is no rule about testing your fighters on cards nor any established line of ethics but if anything having 0-0 fighters on a card only hurts the org. If we're talking about fighters over 1000 p4p mark in hype fighting each other then it helps the org. Spar bots with no hype don't help the org either aside from being a filler fight. I see no reason why anyone would willingly let a card go ahead without 10 fights, that would just be plain stupidity. I always test my fighters against each other, that way I know way more than what I have in that fighter than doing a lame QFC match up. There is no hype gain in that scenario either. Not sure what kind of shit you're trying to stir JLP because you dislike Grant but bringing up something like that is reaching. It's funny how you just couldn't resist bringing up Grant. Your hate for him is quite out there.

I just asked an ethics question, just like you. Don't get all upset and try to insinuate ulterior motives. I don't have any problem with GBK that I know of.

Letting a card go with under ten fights is a mistake, its also a shortcut to use your own fighters to fill that card. That does benefit the org because you are not taking a penalty, I'm sure you know this. I'm also sure that you know that we are not talking about testing fighters.

These two GBK fighters last 11 fights are against each other, all filling out the bottom of Troids cards and they arent 0-0 fighters:

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=169101

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=169041

I hardly see where you are talking about this as an alternative to QFC fights. It's just an attempt to avoid penalty due to underbooking a card. I was just asking the community if this is cool, its kind of funny how you tried to play the victim card immediately.

• Upvote 1

I'm not playing the victim card JLP cool down, you weren't even talking about me just seemed to me you love any chance to take a shot at Grant but it's cool either way. I am not trying to start an argument there have been plenty on the forums and we all know you have some weird superiority complex where you think you're always in the right. Funny enough I actually agreed with your assessment of the situation from the OP.

I am fine with ethics questions. I would like to know what the community thinks about it BUT my points still stand. These aren't high hyped fighters being put on the card they're sparbots used to fill events. At worst I wouldn't call it unethical I would blame it on lack of good matchmaking to make sure cards are being filled early. Not really an ethical question since no one in their right mind would take the penalty if they had a choice but rather a question of making sure cards are filled. It's not like those two guys you mentioned have any real hype but then again, let's see what others have to say.

I didn't take a shot at GBK, I just asked if it was cool what he was doing. I cant recall ever having a problem with GBK outside the WC thread. I have a fighter in ITFL (which I co-created with shortfuse) and was fine with Shortfuse handing it over to him when he no longer wanted to run it. Hard to see where I'm taking shots at him all the time. Saying that I brought it up only because "you love any chance to take a shot at Grant" is just deflection and has no basis in reality.

Back to the subject, the point isn't hype gain, it's avoiding a penalty due to poor planning. It's probable that Troid would have less hype then it does now had they taken the penalty rather than filling the bottom of cards with his own fighters. I know when Syn or EVO or other top orgs have fights fall through those owners send out mass mails to get short notice fights scheduled for their cards. They dont have a number of their own fighters just waiting around to fill out cards they plan poorly.

You've gone from claiming it was test fighters to now calling them sparbots. Sparbots dont fight 3 or 4 times in a given month. A sparbot that is fighting that often is not in the gym sparring. These fighters are pretty clearly just waiting around to fill out cards.

• Upvote 2

Pretty much.

I didn't take a shot at GBK, I just asked if it was cool what he was doing. I cant recall ever having a problem with GBK outside the WC thread. I have a fighter in ITFL (which I co-created with shortfuse) and was fine with Shortfuse handing it over to him when he no longer wanted to run it. Hard to see where I'm taking shots at him all the time. Saying that I brought it up only because "you love any chance to take a shot at Grant" is just deflection and has no basis in reality.

Back to the subject, the point isn't hype gain, it's avoiding a penalty due to poor planning. It's probable that Troid would have less hype then it does now had they taken the penalty rather than filling the bottom of cards with his own fighters. I know when Syn or EVO or other top orgs have fights fall through those owners send out mass mails to get short notice fights scheduled for their cards. They dont have a number of their own fighters just waiting around to fill out cards they plan poorly.

You've gone from claiming it was test fighters to now calling them sparbots. Sparbots dont fight 3 or 4 times in a given month. A sparbot that is fighting that often is not in the gym sparring. These fighters are pretty clearly just waiting around to fill out cards.

Just to clear a few things up, Troid would still have the hype it has now, the last fights on a fight card mean jack shit; although some org owners are just anal about filling them. That is a fact, not an opinion, MFN sometimes doesn't fill their cards, yet make a fortune and are one of the highest ranked orgs out there who don't go full retard on advertisements (1003 events).

Is what Grant does a bit unethical? Yeah, i'd agree with that. I wouldn't personally fight two guys just so my card was full (i have however fought two 0-0 guys against each other for testing purposes in different orgs). Is it a big deal? Nah, plenty of org owners have done it in the past and it was never really seen as a cause of concern.

Now we move onto the "hype farming" and how it isn't a big deal. I remember when I joined this game, a rather large bunch of members wanted to castrate the FinnFighters for doing the exact same thing. They held a legitimate tournament for themselves to see who was better. Since their fighters were then useless with that hype they fed them to fighters in NFC. You yourself had something to say about the FinnFighters.

“Not much of a shock to see the FinnFighter record padding/hype farming org pussy out.”

You also called out Mentor not too long ago for doing the same thing with Scotty Bennett

"nice can you lined up for your next hype farming session. http://mmatycoon.com....php?FID=146462"

You also called out QFC Tokyo for doing the same thing.

“Xyd used to be one of the main beneficiaries of the noob hype farming scheme known as QFC Tokyo, so this isnt news.”

It would suggest that you are very much against hype farming; so much so you posted three times about three separate orgs about it... but now the shoe is on the other foot; some may say this is rather hypocritical.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1