Gastelum-Belfort

bjornmma1

This should be an interesting fight but I feel like gastelum is a little small for middleweight.

Yes but he is much faster. In boxing at least, there have been many heavyweight champs who are much smaller and lighter than their opposition and because they are faster end up koing the bigger dudes. We already see how fast and powerful his striking is against average middleweights, but now we will see how he does against someone more high level. The true test is someone in the top 3 of the MW division.

I love how his entire career Belfort has been under rated and pushed to the side.

I think that in general all Brazilian fighters are underappreciated, but among the fighters from Brazil, he is probably a top 3-4 rated UFC fighters ever and he does get the credit for it.

That said, i think Gastelum will win this fight, Belfort has been in decline mode for a while now, without the roids he has also looked a lot worse. He has cardio issues, chin has been in question, has been poor in defending takedowns and on the ground as well. I think Gastelum will have the speed advantage, which is usually considered Belfort's key advantage against most MW fighters. Wrestling wise he will also struggle against Gastelum and if it goes into the later rounds, Gastelum will probably out work him as well. You never know though, Belfort could land a flurry and end it in the first round, he wont be the first guy to go down to that.

if anything vitor has been extremely overrated since like 1997

Since 1997 , he has (t)KO'd the likes of Wanderlei, Eastman, Couture, Franklin, Bisping, Rockhold, Henderson (twice), submitted AJ,...

He is by nobody considered one of the most elite skillled guys in the world now, but he is one of the most dangerous ones still.

Since 1997 , he has (t)KO'd the likes of Wanderlei, Eastman, Couture, Franklin, Bisping, Rockhold, Henderson (twice), submitted AJ,...

He is by nobody considered one of the most elite skillled guys in the world now, but he is one of the most dangerous ones still.

I think he was joking :sad01_anim:

he blitzed an extremely green wanderlei (whos never had a particularly good chin), got murdered by randy twice and only really beat him due to a freak cut from a defective glove, pumped himself full of hgh and beat up bisping and rockhold, and submitted an extremely gassed rumble who missed weight by 15 lbs and tried to wrestle him for some reason...

meanwhile hes gotten thoroughly and insanely owned by saku, randy (x2), lhw dud overeem (x2), wrestled to death by hendo, embarassed by anderson and clowned on by weidman/jacare/mousasi.

vitor has always been a horrible frontrunner and showed the same mental failings when randy took him behind the shed in 1997 as he does to this day.

• Upvote 1

I don't say Vitor is one of the best ever or anything like that, but he is dangerous for every guy in his division, even at this point of his career. That doesn't mean he isn't beatable obviously, but he can finish the fight anytime. Sure, his roids-version was better than what he is like now, but still... not an easy guy to face.

obviously vitor is still a dangerous dude but kelvin has taken some huge shots before, has way better footwork, is blazingly fast, a better wrestler, and is a smothering combination boxer in the pocket. i think hell take vitors lunch money

Gastelum is certainly able to beat him, but people seems to underestimate Vitor in this fight, what is dangerous to do.

I still think Vitor is one of the most iconic MMA fighters that rarely gets on many non-Brazilian's top 10 list. He should be compared to the likes of Randy, Ice Man and all the old school guys, but you do not get the impression that is the case.

the only reason he should be mentioned in the same breath as those two is if youre talking about the guys they beat up.

• 2 weeks later...

Barboza is the most exciting striker in the UFC he should beat Dariush easily.

The UFC should give him Alvarez next if Diaz won't fight either of them.

Diaz vs Alvarez or Diaz vs Barboza would be a tough matchup for Nate

Alvarez vs Barboza is also good.

I think Diaz will hold out for Conor and will probably be "on vacation"

• 4 weeks later...