28 replies to this topic

#1 Splitm

Splitm

Blue Belt

• Manager
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

What's the difference between transition,escapes, and defensive grappling?

I understand it as def grappling being defending submissions, escapes being getting up from ground fighting, and transitions is changing positions on the ground?

Is that it? are they all mutually exclusive or do these skills affect all the above?

• Guests

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

I think def grappling helps a bit in the clinch

Bullshit of the year 2014.

#3 nandorossi

nandorossi

Black Belt

• Manager
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

I was told de grappling was only on the ground, but I have not been around as long as most. I would like someone to weight in and less me know if it helps in the clinch or not for sure. To the OP you nailed the other two.

1400358715HFC.jpg

#4 JuveLeo

JuveLeo

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

I was told de grappling was only on the ground, but I have not been around as long as most. I would like someone to weight in and less me know if it helps in the clinch or not for sure. To the OP you nailed the other two.

I'm with you on this. I want to get a better understanding between the 3. I figured degrapp was for everything wrestling and BJJ related.

13965760841mainlogo_zps9604df2e%5B1%5D.j

#5 nandorossi

nandorossi

Black Belt

• Manager
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

• Defensive grappling - Groundwork only. Consider it both sub defense and also a little positional defense.
  • Transitions - Moving from one position to another on the ground. Also helps prevent other fighters from transitioning to a better position.
  • Escapes - Your fighter will need this to get back to his feet, if he is on the ground.

This is from the wiki. Now I have had fighters stand up from top position with no skill points in Escapes other than the one you have to put there. So from what I am gathering Defensive grappling will help you defend submissions and defend against sweeps. Transitions will help you sweep and pass to better positions and also aid Def Grappling in preventing sweeps. Escapes only help you get back up, so if you are on top you dont need to much escape and if you are on bottom you would need all three. So from what I am gathering you dont need any Escapes at all if you have high defensive grappling and transitions.

1400358715HFC.jpg

#6 JuveLeo

JuveLeo

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

I understand what there for, but I want to know what's more effective because everyone is saying escapes are useless.

13965760841mainlogo_zps9604df2e%5B1%5D.j

#7 Scooby

Scooby

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

I havent seen many escapes and they are all from top position

1484925009Taijutsu.gifKmiLato.gif1418162563rnc.jpg

#8 Splitm

Splitm

Blue Belt

• Manager
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yes I saw it on the wiki, but as somebody pointed out, I keep reading escapes are useless, and wanted to know if that was true.. a standup fighter for instance in theory should be all about escapes no?

#9 Scooby

Scooby

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

I would rather go def grappling and transitions for a referee standup, i dont think you want to tire your fighter out on failed standup attempts, but this is just my opinion. More experienced players may see it differently

1484925009Taijutsu.gifKmiLato.gif1418162563rnc.jpg

#10 duphus

duphus

Red Belt

• 2,543 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Escapes work, people just don't know how to use them.  <----FACT!!!!!

That being said, I doubt I'd put escapes on a fighter since we have a skill cap now.

#11 Pilpipka

Pilpipka

Blue Belt

• Manager
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

how set a tactics to fight against good grappler? My opponent has black belt and my fighter has brown belt (12++) and 13 trainsitions and 13 def grap. Have I any chance on the ground? Should I set more aggressor and finisher if I have 14 gnp  or more control and adv positions? i have 11 escapes.

#12 ddennis2

ddennis2

Blue Belt

• Manager
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

Escapes work, people just don't know how to use them.  <----FACT!!!!!

That being said, I doubt I'd put escapes on a fighter since we have a skill cap now.

Yeah with the current skillcap i think you should focus on just transitions between the two

#13 PBR

PBR

Red Belt

• 11,959 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

Yeah with the current skillcap i think you should focus on just transitions between the two

well its not the skill cap that makes escapes useless (or somewhat useless) or not needed -- it's the fact of getting a ref stand up is so easy that makes escapes useless -- if ref stand ups were redone making escapes really needed to get back to feet the skill cap would work the way it should against stand up fighters

1410590406devilsrejects1.jpg

"I am the devil... and I am here to do the Devil's work."

Bomb Squad knocked into retirement by Biggums

#14 cmattos

cmattos

Blue Belt

• Manager
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

transitions works for change the stand up game to takedown/chinch?

#15 MMATycoon

MMATycoon

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 9,601 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:51 AM

no, just on the ground.

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:41 PM

how set a tactics to fight against good grappler? My opponent has black belt and my fighter has brown belt (12++) and 13 trainsitions and 13 def grap. Have I any chance on the ground? Should I set more aggressor and finisher if I have 14 gnp  or more control and adv positions? i have 11 escapes.

just a tip... dont post your fighters skills in the forum...

#17 stpierrecanada

stpierrecanada

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

Right now as the game is I need at least sensational escapes to get my guys back to their feet against decent fighters I find, I find them hard to train up until the changes and speed train update.
Fedor will always be the Greatest P4P fighter to ever live.

Posted Image

#18 fbwellman

fbwellman

Black Belt

• Manager
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:41 PM

What exactly determines how well your fighter controls on the ground? Like pause and control position etc

Guess what????

#19 juicemalone

juicemalone

Purple Belt

• Manager
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:02 PM

Transitions help a guy get up when he is on top position not escapes. Escapes are only for getting up from bottom position.

#20 DeadDisney

DeadDisney

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Transitions help a guy get up when he is on top position not escapes. Escapes are only for getting up from bottom position.

Not true...

Escapes are for getting to your feet from both top and bottom. Transitions help you move from one position to another, and can help keep your opponent from doing the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users