TUF 18: Team Rousey vs Team Tate (Discussion Thread)

DeadlyDirk

Before the show I thought I would be all for Rousey and would end up disliking Tate but the exact opposite is already happening only 2 episodes in. Tate is way more chilled out and down to earth than I thought she would be and Rousey is arrogant and bitchy. I'm even finding Tate more attractive then Rousey now and I didn't think that way before the show either LOL! They both only look good from a distance though.

I was so happy that Pena won I was rooting for her but didn't expect her to win. It sucks for her to lose after such a long road to get there but with that kind of attitude it looked good on her.

This, and i also think Cat would have handed Ronda her first L.

yah Zingano is more of a challenge, Rousey's stand-up is still nothing special. Plus with Zigano's husband she can train that armbar a lot. I hope Carmouche gets another shot at her after a few more fights to. McMann can be a good match-up to in a few fights.

yah Zingano is more of a challenge, Rousey's stand-up is still nothing special. Plus with Zigano's husband she can train that armbar a lot. I hope Carmouche gets another shot at her after a few more fights to. McMann can be a good match-up to in a few fights.

I would assume zingano is next,but carmouche fought her just too early. I like rhonda but she has no standup

yah Zingano is more of a challenge, Rousey's stand-up is still nothing special. Plus with Zigano's husband she can train that armbar a lot.

It's not just the armbar, it's the part where she makes every woman she's fought look like an amateur on the mat when it comes to positional control -- I've never seen a Rousey fight where her opponent was able to prevent her getting to a dominant position with pretty minimal effort.

She's not in TUF, but former boxer Holly Holm could be one to watch out for, she'd no doubt be extremely disadvantaged in the grappling but could pose significant problems for her standing.

You can check out her most recent bout here, with the knockout happening about 9 minutes in, it's a beauty!

Despite being a boxer you can see she's rapidly improving the rest of her game with some tasty kicks, trains with Mike Winkeljohn down at Greg Jackson's and given her pro boxing background, she's someone the UFC could bring in with a bit of hype.

In my opinion Holly Holm is the most interesting foil for Rousey at this point already. Rousey's biggest weakness is her striking, and Holm is probably the best pure striker in women's mma. And don't forget she isn't just a boxer, she has trained kickboxing for a long time as well. She's also got good size and strength and trains at Jackson's. So even though Ronda will probably just hip toss her and slap on an armbar, you have to think she has the physical tools plus the people around her to make a gameplan that makes Ronda strike with her. At least for a little while.

I was a Rousey fan before this but after watching her on here i can't stand the bitch. I was so happy when Baszler lost too she talked herself up so much and even after the fight saying she was 3 times the fighter her opponent is. Rousey is just a huge kid thats never been told no by the looks of her. I also let out a laugh when Rousey made a fool of herself at the end telling tait she would pay for laughing at her girls pain and Tait was like "wtf are you talking about Shana is my friend".

I'm exactly with you. All of her fights before I've been a big Ronda fan, and I will still like watching her fight, but she seems like a childish sore loser. I can't root for someone who demonstrates such a profound lack of self awareness and emotional control.

Your Michael Jordan type ultra alpha winners are always going to be a little conceited and have an almost psychotic obsession with winning, but it's so gross seeing someone completely incapable of losing gracefully.

It's not just the armbar, it's the part where she makes every woman she's fought look like an amateur on the mat when it comes to positional control -- I've never seen a Rousey fight where her opponent was able to prevent her getting to a dominant position with pretty minimal effort.

She tends to give up her back rather easily and her aggression allows her to be swept pretty often as well. She just happens to be able to pull off that arm bar from any position.

She tends to give up her back rather easily and her aggression allows her to be swept pretty often as well. She just happens to be able to pull off that arm bar from any position.

She gives up her back being aggressive, but nobody has ever actually got solid back control on her and she gets out easily; she can be swept but it's irrelevant because she'll be back on top seconds later.

• Upvote 1

She gives up her back being aggressive, but nobody has ever actually got solid back control on her and she gets out easily; she can be swept but it's irrelevant because she'll be back on top seconds later.

Good point. I still think a high level, knockout capable striker like Holm would be the most interesting challenge for Rousey, but like a strong positional grappler would be interesting as well. Rousey is one of the best lady grapplers out there but it's her strength, transitions, and obviously submission offense. She hasn't demonstrated really strong positional control, although that could be just because she's so aggressive.

She's not in TUF, but former boxer Holly Holm could be one to watch out for, she'd no doubt be extremely disadvantaged in the grappling but could pose significant problems for her standing.

You can check out her most recent bout here, with the knockout happening about 9 minutes in, it's a beauty!

Despite being a boxer you can see she's rapidly improving the rest of her game with some tasty kicks, trains with Mike Winkeljohn down at Greg Jackson's and given her pro boxing background, she's someone the UFC could bring in with a bit of hype.

Seeing this KO cheered my day up Lol but seems like nobody likes rhonda, she has a gimmick style with some major weaknesses but shes not an average joe,shes one of the best female wrestlers on the planet. But i cant say meisha looks better... Her nose makes me mad, Rhonda's "body issue" beats meisha's by unanimous decision too lol

Seeing this KO cheered my day up Lol but seems like nobody likes rhonda, she has a gimmick style with some major weaknesses but shes not an average joe,shes one of the best female wrestlers on the planet. But i cant say meisha looks better... Her nose makes me mad, Rhonda's "body issue" beats meisha's by unanimous decision too lol

I mean Rhonda does have sort of a gimmick style, but why change it if it's working so well. Besides doing judo forever and being very proficient at the handful of things she's shown us, she's just a stud athlete. I think the main reason for her success is that she's just a caliber above the women who are currently competing.

There's only been money in women's MMA for about 5 minutes. I think we might see more talented female athletes coming over due to Rhonda's notoriety. The woman to really put it to Rhonda might not be on our radar yet.

And for the record I think both are attractive, but Tate more so. Tate's nose is a little funky but that's really not a huge deal to me. Her body is smokin.

• Upvote 1

Funny thing is that i have never watched a TUF series! I watched every single PPV though. We do not get TUF at home and i usually want to just watch the main fights anyway, so a PPV is enough for me.

That said watching a bunch of kids and midgets is not something i would like to see, lol. I always hate the lower weight classes.

after ep 3 now I just want Ronda to die.

most soap opera like tuf ever.

yea ronda said everyone will think im mental after watching tuf -- well probably cause you are -- lol -- the way she kept trying to start shit by going to the bar next to brain was just funny -- even funnier was when tate finally told brain to grab him a handful of ass -- lmao

yea ronda said everyone will think im mental after watching tuf -- well probably cause you are -- lol -- the way she kept trying to start shit by going to the bar next to brain was just funny -- even funnier was when tate finally told brain to grab him a handful of ass -- lmao

hahah yep that was fun stuff.

who is that coach of hers? dude seems to have been found in the same mental school where ronda came from.