Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

pain and gain 8/10

#42 Erik

Erik

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Troll me if you like. I'm not even talking about her writing. Don't forget that she wrote all of her literature in a second language.

Not trolling, her philosophy was pretty much literally an extension of an observation by Adam Smith.

Frank Zappa was a troll, you are just a twat.

See You Next Tuesday

• Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:35 AM

Not trolling, her philosophy was pretty much literally an extension of an observation by Adam Smith.

I guess you're right. But people are still committing the same logical fallacies despite Smith's observations, despite Rand's observations, despite Milton Friedman's observations, and despite Hayek's observations.
I have still yet to hear a valid argument against their economic philosophies.

#44 Erik

Erik

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

I guess you're right. But people are still committing the same logical fallacies despite Smith's observations, despite Rand's observations, despite Milton Friedman's observations, and despite Hayek's observations.
I have still yet to hear a valid argument against their economic philosophies.

Well the main issue with that is that the latter three completely ignored large parts of Smith's works and large parts of that which came after Smith as well.

See You Next Tuesday

#45 Kronix

Kronix

Black Belt

• Manager
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

Despicle me, 7/10 - a kids movie but def fun for adults as well. Easy going and if you pay attention a lot of fun things in the background. Looking forward to watch nr 2.

Oblivion - 6.5/10 , its always difficult to find a sci-fi movie with any major flaws or contradictory story line. But I found oblivion to be an interesting movie and a good story that's not immediatly apperant. I liked it

hWp6UjN.pngcheryl-believe.gifhWp6UjN.png

#46 Fallen.Angel

Fallen.Angel

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

oblivion

5/10

the movie was interesting to watch .. but could have included more action scenes ...

Camp League :- x1 Winners (Camp Fallen.Angel)

Pick'em League :- x1 Winner, x2 Runner-up
Camp-Fallen-Angels-Sig-v1-7-2019.png15-nuggets.jpg

• Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Topic says it all ... :)

so I will start ...

Oblivion ---- 7/10

oblivion

5/10

the movie was interesting to watch .. but could have included more action scenes ...

oh ok then

#48 Fallen.Angel

Fallen.Angel

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

oh ok then

thanks for pointing it out .. :thumbup:
I watched it for the second time, in theater this time ... and watching the same movie again drops back some points it seems
the topic says 'Rate the last movie u saw'
so that was just it ... oblivion

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

Well the main issue with that is that the latter three completely ignored large parts of Smith's works and large parts of that which came after Smith as well.

I can see where you're going with this. If you want to debate Keynesian vs Austrian Economics let's start another thread.

#50 Erik

Erik

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

I can see where you're going with this. If you want to debate Keynesian vs Austrian Economics let's start another thread.

Yes, lets debate two economic theories, neither of which have ever been put into practice in full, that'll be fucking stimulating for all concerned.

See You Next Tuesday

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

Yes, lets debate two economic theories, neither of which have ever been put into practice in full, that'll be fucking stimulating for all concerned.

Ok, well if you don't want to debate, then stop making small little shots at my comments and throwing around assertions. You have yet to respond to our other debate.

To you have anything else of value to add to that debate rather than just walking away calling me a child? Willing to admit you at least MIGHT be wrong?

#52 Erik

Erik

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

Ok, well if you don't want to debate, then stop making small little shots at my comments and throwing around assertions. You have yet to respond to our other debate.

I'm honestly not sure why you've tried to turn it into an Austrian vs Keynesian debate (which, even ignoring the "no real world data for either" problem, seems largely unrelated to the topic). I am, however, asserting that Rand held a substantially different view to Smith (and also to Hayek and Friedman, who didn't agree on several points either).

To you have anything else of value to add to that debate rather than just walking away calling me a child? Willing to admit you at least MIGHT be wrong?

The problem with said other debate is we'd just back and fourth for a long time and go nowhere, I've learnt that it's pointless debating with people who are certain in a set of beliefs.

See You Next Tuesday

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

A modified version of Keynes' ideas worked out pretty well for Norway during the most recent recession!

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

I am getting the feeling Erik actually knows about Economics *boggle*

Arguing economics is like arguing politics, because despite the university degrees attesting to the opposite, both are art forms not sciences. They are massively influenced by a variety of external variables which cannot be controlled and usually can't even be measured. This isn't to say various theories can't be applied within a general range of results but the comparison of one to the other with the expectation that there will be an objectively quantitative outcome is pretty naive.

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

But can we all agree that Ayn Rand is an evil troll?

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

Fuck you, I got mine.

#57 Fallen.Angel

Fallen.Angel

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Contraband

4/10

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

But can we all agree that Ayn Rand is an evil troll?

How is she evil?

She was a very cold woman, especially considering she is believed to have an abortion, but she wasn't "evil"

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

A modified version of Keynes' ideas worked out pretty well for Norway during the most recent recession!

Why isn't Keynesian economics working for the United States. Keynesian economics is essentially trying to treat the symptoms of a recession without actually solving the problem.

Erick, so you aren't even possibly considering that I might have a superior belief to your's?

• Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

How is she evil?

She was a very cold woman, especially considering she is believed to have an abortion, but she wasn't "evil"

Yeah having abortions makes you "a very cold woman". Right.
Ayn Rand was the kind of person who'd literally push a hobo in front of the bus if she believed it'd yield any kind of personal advantage.

Why isn't Keynesian economics working for the United States. Keynesian economics is essentially trying to treat the symptoms of a recession without actually solving the problem.

Erick, so you aren't even possibly considering that I might have a superior belief to your's?

Because the extreme capitalism of the US is inherently flawed in the first place. It would probably work better if psychotic republicans didn't actively sabotage every effort to, you know, sort things out.

Solid arguments for objectivism being a "superior belief" to anything, up to but not including stalinism:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users