ITFL Season 5 - Official Thread

GBK16

Rumlow v. Labak

Pedro v. McGobblecock

Whoever named their fighter McGobblecock deserves a damn reward. That's hilarious.

• Upvote 1

Jack Russell
Johnson Schimd
Renato Silvia
Jermaine Wright

Welcome fight fans to another episode of MMA Fanzone, I’m your host Jack Russell and we will be covering week 2 of ITFL season 5. Vendetta take on The Dong Squad, I still laugh at that name. Team Conquer face off with Team Icon, which leaves us with Sully’s Regulars taking on The Charles Grace All Stars. Join us for our 3 part preview where I will be joined by renowned former All Star American wrestler Johnson Schmid and former MMA fighter turned BJJ trainer Renato Silvia. Our guest for this week will once again be Jermaine Wright, he decide to forgo his evening training to be with us again, so thank you Razor!

Jermaine Wright: Pleasure to get paid to talk. My next opponent, well let’s say I don’t think much of him. I don’t need to be training for this dude.

Anyhow, part 1 we will be discussing Vendetta vs. The Dong Squad and the first chosen for these two was Cornelius Carr vs. Bruno “The Bomber” Aires. Both fighters won their opening match ups, with Carr taking out Matt Kroblur whilst Aires defeated Antonio Lobo. Aires is considered to be the best fighter on The Dong Squad, so his team will likely be pinning their hopes on him taking out the formidable Carr.

Johnson Schmid: I liked both their opening fights, Carr took on, in my opinion, one of the best grapplers in the tournament and he beat him everywhere. He popped back up to his feet when taken down and absolutely smashed him on the feet, credit to Kroblur for hanging in but he was no match. Aires, now he shut his opponent out and showed his new striking game, but lets face it Lobo wasn’t a tough match up for him and I sensed he was playing around with him rather than doing what he can do and finish the fight on the ground.

Silvia: I can’t pick against Carr, but Aries is a different prospect than his first opponent. Neither can afford a slip up. Aires for sure has the better ground game offensively, he can do it all. Carr may not have the greatest takedown defence and that may be an issue but he has exceptional cat like balance where he pops up to his feet if he gets taken down. I like Carr in this matchup, but don’t sleep on Aires.

JW: Carr took out one of the top dogs this season, in his first fight of the tournament. Aires is much like his first opponent in that he won’t want to stand too long with Carr. Aires hasn’t fought the same level of opponents either, I expect Carr to get a finish bonus this fight.

JR: Moving on, the next fight is Igor "Under The Umbrella" Quincy vs. Russell "Stringer" Bell. Both men lost their first fights and I can imagine both will be jumping at the bit to not lose 2 in a row and get that all important first ITFL win. Quincy arguably had the harder opponent in Duane Perry and did well in going 3 rounds, but didn’t really offer much. Whilst Bell was out-wrestled for 3 rounds on the way to a UD loss. Renato what do you make of the chances of each fighter?

RS: The bits we saw of Bell on the feet, he looked okay but he lost to Labak in that department as well, he was loading up too much and couldn’t connect. Quincy had a similar effort, he was looking for haymakers and landed a very small amount of his strikes. Neither really impressed during their fights, and Bell has no won a fight in his career. Maybe he’s not cut out for it.

JS: I expected more from Bell, and I still do. He’s the older fighter in this fight so I still expect him to be the more dominant but he did miss out on a lot of training when he was younger. I like the determination of Quincy, but he didn’t have anything to offer in his first fight and I don’t think he will have much here.

JW: Quincy is my boy, I can’t not back him. He fought one of the top fighters in his first fight in Perry. Yea he was outmatched but Quincy is learning every day instead of just trying to keep sharp. Bell really didn’t show much against an average opponent, he got beat up on the feet by a grappler. The longer this stays on the feet the more I will take Quincy’s chances of getting a KO.

JR: The 2nd fight chosen by Dong Squad captain was "Blood Fire" Ras Li Judah vs. Demetri Puleveski. Judah came back from a 1st round scare, getting knocked down and visibly hurt and secured a TKO in the 2nd round. Whilst Puleveski was KOed inside a round.

JW: When I saw who they chose, I laughed. Puleveski should not be matched against Judah, anyone competent enough can see that. Judah hits hard, what’s more he can take a punch then come back and hit you harder. Puleveski doesn’t do well under pressure and gets knocked out far more than anyone should. So yea, Judah will take this in the first.

JS: I wouldn’t be so sure there Razor. Yes Judah has power, but he also has a suspect chin. He was knocked down in round 1, but I think it was more his opponent letting him back in the fight rather than an amazing recovery by Judah. Demetri hits harder than Rutherford, and I am expecting a fierce 1 round battle with one of these men laying on the floor.

RS: Puleveski seems to me to be the whipping boy of the tournament, well one of them. He can’t take a punch very well, and Judah is an expert fighter everywhere. On the ground he is dangerous, but on the feet his explosiveness is great to see.

JR: The 2nd fight chosen by the home team, Vendetta was Jermaine "Razor" Wright vs. Rio Yaj. Wright took on highly touted Edward Stoker in his first fight, and won a comfortable 30:27 decision whilst Yaj showed poor fight IQ taking down red belt, Penn, and was quickly submitted. So Razor, let’s get your thoughts on the fight first.

JW: I’m a little disappointed, Yaj is not one of the best in the tournament, far from it. Stoker was a great challenge for me but going from fighting him to fighting Yaj is a big step down in competition. I’m not worried at all about this fight. Yaj will go down in the 1st.

JS: I have to agree, Yaj has a good ground game with some crafty takedowns but Wright is a different animal all together. Yaj also has had some trouble with powerful hitters whom he can’t get to the ground, and gets tagged too much against superior striker like Razor.

RS: Agreed, I don’t see a way for Yaj to win this. He can steal a round with his wrestling but to avoid the power shots for 3 straight rounds is asking him to do a little too much.

JR: And the final fight of Vendetta vs. The Dong Squad is team captain taking on one of the fighters tipped to go the ‘Bosco Brown’ route. It’s "Baron" Friedrich Von Kuschelbär vs. Neil Gilas. ‘Baron’ looked highly impressive in his first fight as he won a shutout decision, mixing his striking perfectly with his wrestling to defeat Bryer Michel. Gilas put up a fight, snatching one round from the judges but ultimately he was outstruck by Yamoto and he couldn’t get much going on the ground.

JS: I like this fight, I believe it will be a clash of two great wrestlers. Friedrich is arguably the better MMA fighter, he mixes his attacks up very well. But Gilas is almost impossible to stop with strikes and he will keep pushing for takedowns well into round 3. I haven’t seen much of Friedrich’s tape, so I’m not sure how well he will do to an offensive wrestler pressuring him, as that is usually his strategy.

RS: Pfft, hype Gilas up all you want but Baron is a different beast. He can wrestler, he will know how to stuff Gilas’ predictable attacks. I wouldn’t be surprised if he chose to take Gilas down and show him his own ground game. But he can equally beat the snot out of him on the feet. Gilas will need a miracle to win.

JW: What Renato said. Gilas has balls, he stepped up to face the best but he’s not cut out for it, even if he doesn’t know it whether it’s through his stupidity or him not knowing when to quit. Freddy will whoop this fool and will probably be the first to stop him.

JR: That wraps up Vendetta vs. The Dong Squad, join us for part 2 where we will be discussing the fights between Team Conquer and Team Icon.

• Upvote 4

Jack Russell
Johnson Schimd
Renato Silvia

Jermaine Wright

JR: Welcome to part 2 of our ITFL 5 round 2 preview. That was a lot of numbers. Anyhow, Team Conquer vs. Team Icon is what’s on the menu, Conquer are looked on as the favourites to win. They went 4-1 in the 1st round as did Team Icon, so one of these two teams will be taking a loss. The first fight between these two teams is Bruce Brady vs. Antonio "Amazon Assassin" Lobo. Both of these men were the only ones to lose for their teams so both will be wanting to put that behind them. Johnson, what do you see happening in this fight?

JS: If Brady and his team do some scouting they should be in for the win, Lobo tends to only throw leg kicks and look for the clinch. He doesn’t really change his strategy, in the clinch he goes for takedowns and tries pulling guard so he can work his very good submission game. But like I said he is predictable and predictability in MMA usually spells the end. Brady is a good grappler with nice takedowns, but it will be his ability to predict where the fight takes place which will win him this fight.

RS: I’m hoping for a grappling match, these two have excellent submissions, but Brady is probably overall the better grappler and he has more tactical awareness on the floor. Lobo might be able to snatch him up in his limbs, but he is used to fighting at 155 so he will be the smaller man. Brady should take this.

JW: I like Lobo, he knows that his opponent knows what he is going to do but he comes in and does it anyway. Unfortunately ITFL is for big boys, he will have to adapt or go down fighting.

JR: The next fight between these two teams is Kai Kha vs. Akihiko Yamato . Kha showed good chin and good heart in his first fight, as he was hurt badly by Liam McGuiness’ strikes but he returned fire even harder for the quick KO win, whilst Yamoto outscored Gilas on the feet for a decision win.

RS: I was very impressed with Kha in that fight, I didn’t think he’d be able to take that sort of power but he showed more than that as he took the power, recovered quickly then gave as good as he got which crumpled Liam. Yamoto looked okay, but it was average competition at best, his ground was purely defensive and didn’t once try to show any offence there he was hanging on for dear life. His stand up was good, but again it was against Gilas who isn’t really known for his stand up. I would say Kha takes this fight through his power.

JS: Yamoto looked fairly confused on the floor against Gilas, even losing a round. I would say Kha got lucky with his punch that ended the fight, Mcguiness was landing a lot and it was only a matter of time before Kha was out cold.The fight between Yamoto and Kha should be a good stand up affair, neither have the best of chins but both pack some great power. One of them is going for an early sleep.

JW: Kha looked pretty decent, he mixed it up with his kicks and stayed cool, calm and collected under pressure. Yamoto is on for a decent test for his chin here.

JR: "The Comedian" Edward Blake vs. Mr Steel Penn is the third match up. Blake used his superior striking in the first two rounds of his fight before being outgrappled in the 3rd, but still walking away with a decision against a highly competent grappler. Penn won his fight quickly, as he was taken down but wasted no time in securing an armbar for the win. Renato, you love these ‘grappler vs. striker’ matchups, which way will this fight turn?

RS: I said it before, I will say it again. Penn is probably the best grappler in the tournament, purely from a grappling perspective. His stand up leaves much to be desired however. Blake is a smart fighter, he has power but he doesn’t look for that one punch KO with his shots, he wears them down. Penn will be needing to get this to the floor, unless Blake can KO him early he will probably be taken down and submitted. BJJ is and always will be king.

JS: Typical, no no I can’t agree with what this idiot is spouting. Penn, yes is a good submission artist. But Blake showed for 2 rounds he can stuff takedowns, he outstruck Swanson and it was only Swanson’s toughness that kept him in the fight. Penn doesn’t have the same mental toughness as the wrestler Swanson, he is a weak BJJ artist who will fold as soon as he gets hit.

JW: If Penn gets it down, Blake is in for a long night. But I can’t see that happening, Blake will use his volume to tag Penn too many times for his liking for the KO.

JR: Moving on, arguably two of the best on each team face off as "Crossbones" Brock Rumlow takes on Kabal Labak. Rumlow is one of the betting favourites to take the whole thing, he looked good in his first fight taking on the young Jackson and scoring a first round KO. Labak used his wrestling chops to dominate 3 rounds against Bell, and looked good on the feet as well. An interesting clash here. Johnson, what’s your take on it?

JS: Rumlow is probably one of the most complete fighters and will probably be one of those who leaves this tournament and had great success. But Labak is tough as nails, one of those in your face grapplers. Rumlow hasn’t really shown much on the ground apart from holding on, so it would be interesting to see if Labak can get him down and put him in bad spots. I can’t really see Rumlow finishing Labak here.

RS: Look at who they beat, Rumlow has wins over top fighters, Labak loses when he is against those fighters. Barring a major error from Rumlow, Labak is on for a long, or short, night.

JW: I can see it now, a few months from now, when ITFL individuals are on. The finals appear, it’s my name next to Rumlow’s. That’s how this season will end, Labak is a stepping stone for Rumlow.

JR: Ever confident Razor. That wraps up part 2 of our preview. Be sure to join us on the final segment when we will be discussing Sully’s Regulars vs. The Charles Grace All Stars.

• Upvote 4

Jack Russell
Johnson Schimd
Renato Silvia

Jermaine Wright

JR: Welcome to our 3rd and final segment for Round 2 of ITFL 5. Sully’s Regualrs vs. The Charles Grace All Stars is the two teams doing battle. Both were on the receiving ends of a 4-1 loss in the opening round and both teams will want to get that taste out of their mouths, especially The Charles Grace All Stars as they were one of the teams who were favourites to win the tournament before things started. The first fight between these two teams is John Swanson vs. Duane "Brainsmasher" Perry, Swanson lost his first fight after being out struck whilst Perry dominated for 2 rounds before scoring an impressive KO victory.

JS: Perry was ruthless in that fight, he was enjoying that fight. He didn’t allow Quincy one moment to recover and he might have played with him a bit, but he was having fun out there. He even showed off his improving ground game. Swanson had trouble in his fight, it was only really in the last round he was able to score some points, he’s a good wrestler but he’s going up against a true blooded American who will probably score another finish victory.

RS: Perry is proving to be the real deal, but Swanson is no joke. If he gets on top it is bad news for his opponent as he just smothers them. He will be working on his stand up as we speak. Going from older fights Perry should have this in the bag, he’s beaten similar opponents to Swanson. But fights aren’t fought from past opponents, every fighter is unique and if Swanson gets Perry down early in each round then Perry might be having trouble here.

JW: I can’t see Perry losing this fight, Swanson is a tough fighter but Perry is a different level.

JR: Next up is "Ice Cube" O Shea Jackson vs. "The Unknown" Thomas Rutherford. Both men suffered KO losses in their opening fights, Jackson despite being younger is the more experienced fighter.

RS: I don’t think his experience will count for much, Rutherford displayed solid striking skills up until he was finish with very nice power. He hurt his opponent but didn’t go in for the finish when he had the chance. Jackson, well I don’t think he will be lasting much longer in this tournament. He is too chinny, he gets hurt by most of the strikes thrown at him so I can’t see him standing up for long against Rutherford.

JS: Jackson is more than just a chinny striker, he likes pulling guard on people in the clinch then attacking off his back. I’m not sure how developed Rutherford’s ground is and Jackson may be able to catch him by surprise. Other than that, the longer this fight stays standing the more the advantage goes to Rutehrford.

JW: Two fighters with no chin fighting each other, should be a good fight with one of them heading home early.

JR: Everyone’s favorite Irishman is fighting again against a tough as nails wrestler. That’s right it’s "Lucky" Liam McGuiness vs. Matt "Lost Cause" Kroblur. Both lost their opening fights, Lucky losing via KO in the first round after having his opponent hurt, and Kroblur was unable to get his grappling going as he was beaten to a unanimous decision by Carr.

JS: McGuiness is good, but too one dimensional. He needs to start mixing up his attacks or he will suffer more losses like his last one. I am of the belief Kroblur will be tough to finish, and he will get on top and start hammering down some ground and pound reminiscent of Mark Coleman.

RS: I like me some Lucky Liam. He is a fighter who doesn’t come to hug or point score. No, he comes to finish. Kroblur will have to endure the early onslaught if he hopes to survive this fight, he won’t want to be standing in front of Liam for too long and tempt fate to give him his first KO loss.

JW: If Liam can’t get the early finish, then I think Kroblur’s takedowns will wear on him and Kroblur will be scoring with a late TKO victory.

JR: Danny "Cyclone" Ciprianni vs. Edward Stoker is next on the list. Ciprianni took home a UD victory after he was able to neutrilise the ground game of his opponent and score with his strikes and control on the mat. Stoker lost an entertaining 3 round scrap with Razor here, as he was outstruck.

RS: Jack, Ciprianni could be the sleeper here. His team-mate Bustamante won the last season from nowhere, everyone counted him out. People are doing the same no for Danny, he may not be the most exciting but he can rack together those wins. He can strike, he can shoot he can smother. Stoker is good, but he is really only a striker, albeit a better striker than Danny but the ability to mix it up and keep Stoker tentative may be the deciding factor.

JS: Listen to this bull****, Ciprianni is nothing but a mid carder .. a filler. Stoker lost, but he’s still one of the all round better fighters on any team. I don’t see him having much of a problem at all.

JW: Stoker can take a punch, I hit him hard numerous times and he walked through. Ciprianni is a jack of all trades master of none. And quite often when a master takes on an all rounder, the master wins because he is able to use his abilities to power through.

JR: The final fight sees Johan "Bloddy Hailstorm" Attila vs. Bryer Michael. Attila has some nasty cuts he sustained from his last fight, lets hope they heal in time. The doctor called of his fight, after he was stuck underneath his opponent unable to see due to the blood in his eyes. Michael was dominated from start to finish by a wrestling onslaught.

JS: Attila did not want to quit and he was very angry when the doctor ended the fight, having to be restrained. He does get cut easily with lots of scar tissue around his eyes, but he is able to mix it up, being a very powerful striker and wrestler, with a commanding top game. Michael showed trouble with that sort of fighter in his first fight.

RS: Michael had a hard time to get going in his opening fight and Attila is not the same calibre of wrestler that Baron is. Michael may be able to win this fight on the feet, but Attila is no slouch there either. Michael might want to think about using his elbows to make Attila bleed again, the judges always favour the one who does more damage.

JW: Attila should take this, dude got a nice top game. You don’t want him on top of you.

JR: That wraps up this preview. Thank you for being with us. If you know anyone who would like to be on this show who is knowledgeable about MMA and this tournament, please get in touch we would love to have a variety of guests on the show. Be sure to let us know what you thought of the episode, and leave your thoughts on how you think the fights will go below. Until next time, I’ve been Jack Russell, goodbye.

• Upvote 6

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14046526106802.jpg

James "Sully" McGuiness (237725)

(Participant of The Island Season 2. Former MMA and KT Fighter.

Owner of Sully's Bar & Grill on The Island)

Hello everyone!!! As we move into the second round of ITFL 5, i present to you my thoughts on my boys as we head into the next round!

We didn't do too well in the last round going 1-4 to Team Conquer. This week we face The Charles Grace All-Stars who were also on the wrong end of 1-4. Both teams will be looking to turn their luck around. Who will do it?

Find out on....

http://i.imgur.com/yPwBr4L.png

This week our boys once again head to Amsterdam as we face off against 5 of the Charles Grace All-Stars at ITFL 2.1 which is hosted by GENERATION.

"Ice Cube" O Shea Jackson v "The Unknown" Thomas Rutherford

Interesting fight here as Rutherford has made his debut at the age of 18 then spent 6 (tycoon) years away from the cage before coming back for this ITFL. Both men are coming off losses but i gotta say my boy O Shea has the edge in experience and that will be a big factor.

Sully's Prediction: O Shea to absolutely maul Rutherford and make him wonder why he even came back to active fighting!

Danny "Cyclone" Ciprianni v Edward Stoker

Stoker lost his last fight while Danny is the only member of our team to get a win last round. On paper Cyclone seems to have the advantage on the ground although neither are afraid to stand and bang.

Sully's Prediction: Stoker will put up a fight, but Cyclone to take him down and submit him late in the fight.

Johan "Bloody Hailstorm" Attila v Bryer Michael

My man "Bloody Hailstorm" lived up to his last name in his last fight, but for the wrong reason! He comes into this fight with some fresh wounds so hopefully they won't get reopened in this fight. Despite this, i don't see any way Attila can lose this fight unless he slips over his own blood and breaks his back.

Sully's Prediction: Attilla to absolutely blitz through Michael with his wounds not factoring into the fight at all.

"Lucky" Liam McGuiness v Matt "Lost Cause" Kroblur

Both men lost their last fight and both men will be looking to bounce back. On paper one would think Liam's luck has run out but he has made a habit of winning those "unwinnable" fights. Has my brother's luck run out?

Sully's Prediction: One punch is all it takes for Liam to end someone's night. He may hit it early, he may hit it late. But it's coming... :boxing:

John Swanson v Duane "Brainsmasher" Perry

Perry was the sole winner of The Charles Grace All-Stars last round but it seems to have come at a cost as there is a rumour he is going into this fight with an injury. Swanson on the other hand lost a close decision last round and a win over a big name like Perry would be great to add confidence to his resume.

Sully's Prediction: Perry's 8 fight win streak will come to an end as Swanson will overpower the smaller man to wear him down to get the late TKO. Hopefully he won't injure him anymore.

And that's all we have for Team Sully's Regulars! So whether you are in Amsterdam and will be joining us at The Red Light or you are watching at home, be sure to enjoy the night.

Or for all you guys on The Island, you can watch it at Sully's Bar & Grill while relaxing with my Home Brew.

That's it for The Sully Show for now!

Until next time,

Train hard :training2:

Fight hard :boxing:

Play hard :drunk:

And of course,

Stay Classy

:shades:

-Sully

• Upvote 5