Juanito Ibarra sues Tito Ortiz and MMA Media Outlets

http://www.fightopinion.com/2009/06/06/jua...-media-outlets/

Juanito Ibarra sues Tito Ortiz and MMA Media outlets

By Zach Arnold | June 6, 2009

TMZ has the story:

Ibarra is suing Tito and all the blogs and publications that ran Tito’s interview for defamation, invasion of privacy and emotional distress.

As a word of advice, suing blogs and web sites is usually not a very good idea. For starters, most web sites and bloggers in MMA are more than willing to post comments from multiple parties in a story. Meaning, if Ibarra wanted to get his side of the story out against Ortiz, he could easily have done so in a public manner to clear his name. 5th Round has the comments that Ortiz made that Ibarra is likely suing him over. By Ibarra suing these individuals in such a public manner, it will ensure on various search engines that some of the first stories that will pop up when you search for “Juanito Ibarra” are about the comments Ortiz made about him. In essence, if Ibarra had just let this go, you would have had to search out specifically to find Tito’s comments. Now, because TMZ and other media outlets are covering this lawsuit, Tito’s negative comments about Ibarra will gain more exposure than could have been imagined. Here’s a perfect example of this effect in a real life case that happened two years ago.

Plus, if there are any former clients of Ibarra’s that are disgruntled, they may come out of the woodwork and negatively comment about him in the press. The lawsuit is a questionable, at best, public relations strategy.

Second, once you start suing the media, then the media takes it very personally and can make things difficult in terms of follow-up posts and negative attention. Plus, by naming specific clients (allegedly) in his suit, all Ibarra is doing is giving these people more attention and recognition. Plus, creating a lot of headaches for yourself. University of Tennessee law professor Glenn Reynolds explains why it’s a bad strategy to launch libel & defamation lawsuits against bloggers. Some tangible examples of this in action can be found here.

Third, the majority of writers and media covering MMA are not rich. There isn’t a whole lot of money to obtain via a lawsuit. Going after Tito Ortiz, someone who has fame and money, is one thing — but going after someone who makes $30-40,000 USD a year (or around that salary range) is another.

The Los Angeles Times is reporting that two of the media outlets Ibarra is suing are Yahoo Sports and MMA News.

It’s one thing to legally sue someone who has money (Tito Ortiz & Yahoo), but it’s another thing to have a situation where the defendants in this case can use their financial resources to get together and build a strong legal defense in court. In a case like this, how do you prove ‘intent’ as far as: A. publishing something false and B. doing so with malice?

In my opinion Juanito Ibarra is a scumbag.

Tito Ortiz should immediately come to the help of the bloggers. This could be the biggest PR coup he's ever had an opportunity to pursue. He could completely redeem himself in the eyes of fans if he is the "mma legend" that comes to the defense of the little guy (bloggers are basically just MMA fans with a website) to defend them against a "boxing sleezeball". That would play fantastically in the MMA media.

i think its ridiculous. ibarra took rampage to the ufc title and had him defend against dan henderson successfully, the money was well spent and he can charge whatever he wants. you're not seriously telling me that rampage is short of a few quid? another example is chieck kongo. no one give a shit about kongo until he teamed up with ibarra, and bisping came on a long way since his camps with them too. in my opinion, ibarra charged a fairly high price but got results, so it was money well spent. tito ortiz should keep out of it

i think its ridiculous. ibarra took rampage to the ufc title and had him defend against dan henderson successfully, the money was well spent and he can charge whatever he wants. you're not seriously telling me that rampage is short of a few quid? another example is chieck kongo. no one give a shit about kongo until he teamed up with ibarra, and bisping came on a long way since his camps with them too. in my opinion, ibarra charged a fairly high price but got results, so it was money well spent. tito ortiz should keep out of it

So you think Ibarra is a swell guy for suing normal dudes that posted Tito's comments on their blogs?

My friend at Punch Drunk Gamer is being sued.

Bloody Elbow, MMA News, Five Ounces of Pain, Fight Ticker, MMA Frenzy, and Cage Potato are also being sued.

You think that's a great thing?

i said i think he did nothing wrong in the first place and tito shouldnt have run his mouth, i didnt say anything about suing blog people. mind you, it shows what people who run blogs and stuff pretending to be a reputable media outlet aregetting themselves into. its ok for a tabloid news paper to do that bullshit, they can afford it, blog site folk should think a bit harder about what they publish

i said i think he did nothing wrong in the first place and tito shouldnt have run his mouth, i didnt say anything about suing blog people. mind you, it shows what people who run blogs and stuff pretending to be a reputable media outlet aregetting themselves into. its ok for a tabloid news paper to do that bullshit, they can afford it, blog site folk should think a bit harder about what they publish

Freedom of Speech is where this one wins, taking what was said by someone else and reposting it is still freedom of speech. They can be sued, but their cases will be tossed out of court, most of them will not fight it, print a retraction and an apology.

I run several blogs, several websites and I have posted some negative stuff about people, products and businesses and I have received letters from lawyers as well. It's all about spending the little money you make off of your blog with a lawyer and have him fire off a polite and terse F-U letter to their lawyers and having the balls to go all the way if you have to, which I have done once and when it gets there the judge looks at their lawyer(s) and wonders if they are being serious.

Anyways, without looking at a summons or what not I don't know exactly how they are approaching the blog sites...we will see.

Oh, and as for tabloid papers, they pay for their pieces, hence their liability behind it....bloggers don't they write it or scrape it.

I lost ALL the respect I had left for him after I heard about this. I already didn't like the guy for offering his services to Wanderlei for his fight against Rampage when he "had the perfect gameplan to beat Rampage". Total, 100%, low, no pride, won't ever get no respect from me.

Dude's a bitch, simple lol

I lost ALL the respect I had left for him after I heard about this. I already didn't like the guy for offering his services to Wanderlei for his fight against Rampage when he "had the perfect gameplan to beat Rampage". Total, 100%, low, no pride, won't ever get no respect from me.

Dude's a bitch, simple lol

so with this in mind, have you also lost all respect for anderson silva for doing exactly the same thing?

He's poundin riches face in two times he owes him hahaha.

your just tryin to argue, juanito isn't a fighter who not only offered his services against rampage, he also is suing tito ortiz on some dumb shit. i don't see anderson in a court room with a bunch of lawyers. get the point?

im not trying to argue, im trying to open your eyes and mind. anderson silva isnt in the court room because people arnt talking shit about him, because he hasnt done anything wrong, just like juanito hasnt. you're just against juanito simply because he isnt a ufc fighter. the fact is that he charged rampage a lot of money for his training but took him to the title, then everyone talked shit on him and lost him his job. how does that make juanito a dick? and how does him offering his services to wanderlei differ from anderson offering his to rich? if you can answer that without sounding like a 5 year old then congratulations

im not trying to argue, im trying to open your eyes and mind. anderson silva isnt in the court room because people arnt talking shit about him, because he hasnt done anything wrong, just like juanito hasnt. you're just against juanito simply because he isnt a ufc fighter. the fact is that he charged rampage a lot of money for his training but took him to the title, then everyone talked shit on him and lost him his job. how does that make juanito a dick? and how does him offering his services to wanderlei differ from anderson offering his to rich? if you can answer that without sounding like a 5 year old then congratulations

I never once stated their situations were any different. So to constantly keep bringin that up and being so persistent in asking me a direct question that is technically irrelevant to what I said so in my perspective it seems like you want to argue lol...

But if you're a fighter and you want to go train with another fighter that's fine, if you're a trainer/coach who gets paid a large lump sum for their services they shouldn't offer them out against a former employer.

And I answered that question just for you, because my main point, and really only point really... is that deep down in Juanito's can on a soul, he's a "dick" cuz him suing anybody over them slandering him and calling him names is absolutely positively pathetic and that is a very big "dick" move and it makes him a scum bag in my eyes lol and if Anderson hired lawyers to file a lawsuit and sue somebody for.. let's see what we can come up with.. "not ranking him in the Pound for Pound fighters in the world, slandering his style as a fighter, hurting his popularity and reputation" then I would also think he was just as big of a scumbag (or dick) if not a bigger scumbag (or ..bigger dick?) then Juanito.. but then again, he didn't... simple.

:suicide_anim:

He's like a big fat child with money left over from rampage to hire lawyers to file ridiculous lawsuits for words that probably hurt his feelings when he read them.

" rampage fist can make you famous and my lawyer can sue you. "

Dana vs Juanito boxing match. Go Dana.