PPV Orgs Dropping Like Flies

10thPlanetKT

8 minutes ago, 10thPlanetKT said:

There always needs to be that opposing right hand man that has the stones to say" This is the right fight an it is a competitive card but it doesn't sell and the rating will not break us to new heights at all,". This booked event's juice isn't worth the squeeze. Let me design a new card logo the ones we have now are getting stale. Let me make the announcement of a new signing & or tournament et cetera. Or even the logistical manager saying "this top fighter of ours is about to be poached," let's give him a real contract. No man is an island. Some of us are better than others in certain areas on this game for sure. 

But that's kind of what I do? I'll make sure my cards are beneficial to the org. If someone isn't signing a contract extension I'll ask them why and at least to date, everyone's been up front as to why they're leaving (and it's very likely not about money). Logo design and stuff is cool but with so little gfx designers, you're better to just get someone to create it freelance. There's definitely some people that are going to be stronger than others but I think just knowing your company and your org, you'll know what fights to put on cards and you'll be able to come up with plans and send out contracts. If you are struggling for time, absolutely bring someone in to sort some of that, but as long as you are capable of doing it yourself and it's fun to, I don't think there's a benefit of having someone else in. All of that is essentially the fun of owning an org to me. Sure saying "Hey go book me a years worth of events on these days" would be nice but it takes me about 15 mins to do it once every 3 months or something.

Pika Chu not sending out contracts at the SFL is a sad day for tycoon. Bless his heart. Single handedly resurrected my org ownership from the trenches. Takes a special Pokémon to charge a real ninja up like that.

Long live the Pika Chu. Honorary member of Team Convicted and The Draft Dodgers, winners of the final GONY.

I have to offer up Proud FC as the stand alone PPV kickboxing org. IMG_0586.JPG.89a88030d01d7e931c2a476bede6c869.JPG  

However tough the learning curb is with traditional orgs, there is a KT handicap with hype that makes it a gimme financial loss. Pure love of the game style approach taken to showcase standup fighters. Patiently waiting for it to make financial sense but no rush, we’ll get there ;) It would be great to open that part of the game to multiple PPV orgs as well to encourage more friendly competition which drives up interest in the long run. 

Also should be said Mike is not fully asleep at the wheel. He has a lot of us to babysit and that takes time from the bigger code changes that need adjusting for more gaming pleasure. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 9/18/2021 at 11:46 AM, clydebankblitz said:

But that's kind of what I do? I'll make sure my cards are beneficial to the org. If someone isn't signing a contract extension I'll ask them why and at least to date, everyone's been up front as to why they're leaving (and it's very likely not about money). Logo design and stuff is cool but with so little gfx designers, you're better to just get someone to create it freelance. There's definitely some people that are going to be stronger than others but I think just knowing your company and your org, you'll know what fights to put on cards and you'll be able to come up with plans and send out contracts. If you are struggling for time, absolutely bring someone in to sort some of that, but as long as you are capable of doing it yourself and it's fun to, I don't think there's a benefit of having someone else in. All of that is essentially the fun of owning an org to me. Sure saying "Hey go book me a years worth of events on these days" would be nice but it takes me about 15 mins to do it once every 3 months or something.

This is very interesting. May I ask, how long does it take to do these specific organizational tasks if you do all of them in a day?

- event booking (really 15 minutes?) (that is pretty fast.........)

- matchmaking?

- booking?

- Posting event promos/reviews?

- contracts?

13 minutes ago, 10thPlanetKT said:

This is very interesting. May I ask, how long does it take to do these specific organizational tasks if you do all of them in a day?

- event booking (really 15 minutes?) (that is pretty fast.........)

- matchmaking?

- booking?

- Posting event promos/reviews?

- contracts?

Booking 1 event? 1 minute, maybe 2.

Matchmaking 1 card? Roughly 15-30 mins.

Event previews and reviews? 2-3 hours a week maybe more.

Contracts? 1-3 hours a week minimum if you are newer or in a fresh ID range. Me personally a half hour a week.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

Contracts? 1-3 hours a week minimum if you are newer or in a fresh ID range. Me personally a half hour a week.

Hmm that is a lot faster than I thought. I would expect you to say something like 1-2 hours Especially mangers that have these mega rosters. So do you think the extreme rate is a burnout problem or a lack of interest?

49 minutes ago, 10thPlanetKT said:

Hmm that is a lot faster than I thought. I would expect you to say something like 1-2 hours Especially mangers that have these mega rosters. So do you think the extreme rate is a burnout problem or a lack of interest?

not to take away from anything that Syn does but the matchmaking is pretty straightforward... Most of them are on very similar levels of skillsets so its probably less about fair matchmaking and more about generating that hype train. i have no idea tho :)

43 minutes ago, 10thPlanetKT said:

Well if you have a big roster (200-300) you are doing anywhere from 2-4 events a week. That would be 1-2 hours for 1 weekend. Add the fact that you usually book 3-4 weeks ahead and you are talking 4-8 hours for booking starting from scratch and 1-2 hours ever week in maintenance.

Is all the other things surrounding it that are way more tedious and time consuming. 

Main thing though that burns org owners out is all the different managers being extremely demanding and not understanding or empathetic. Lots of fight duckers. People demand huge salarys and People think we make money hand over fist even though most orgs lose money. So many other things to add but it would take too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icon73 said:

If I were to answer these for my org (Sucker Punch):

Booking an event?  Yes, a minute or two.  Maybe a 5-10 minute review later when it's almost time for the event to review my advert and production values.

Matchmaking one card?  Tougher to say as I don't fill one card at a time, but between processing a full event's results (I have a separate spreadsheet I keep with key info) and then matchmaking based upon that spreadsheet, I'd say about (edit) an hour to an hour and a half, possibly two, if you don't count the time I get distracted by other stuff and if there were two cards that week. 

Event Previews/Reviews?  This is by far the most time consuming part (for me).  I'm a bit wordy, my reviews and previews are pretty long...If I stay focused and don't count time walking away in between pieces... 2 hours per event preview or review (each, 4 hours total).  

Contracts?  10 mins after an event to reno anybody who is down to one fight remaining.  Another half hour to hour per week checking 3-4 times total for 10-15 mins each for any free agents that have come on the market and are looking for contracts in my org's ID range.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, scottxbandz said:

not to take away from anything that Syn does but the matchmaking is pretty straightforward... Most of them are on very similar levels of skillsets so its probably less about fair matchmaking and more about generating that hype train. i have no idea tho :)

Yeah literally not like that at all. 1 there is a lot of people who will complain about fair fights whether its skill or rankings/ hype+pop. You gotta try and avoid repeat matchups with guys that have been around the same level for 2-3 years now. 

You gotta try and book matchups for the future and think about developing future matchups and stars, gotta try and rebuild guys after losses as well as manage all the different egos amongst the top fighters. And thats just the short of it all. 

Idk where this misconception comes from that its easier with syn. The easiest time I ever had booking was my org UFF in RIO back in 2015 which was a small time open ID org that made it close to top 10 but never cracked.

Second easiest was SMASH/ALPHA-1  which made it to #5 and was extremely fun while it lasted but yeah neither org was more demanding then syn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Icon73 said:

Yeah literally not like that at all. 1 there is a lot of people who will complain about fair fights whether its skill or rankings/ hype+pop. You gotta try and avoid repeat matchups with guys that have been around the same level for 2-3 years now. 

You gotta try and book matchups for the future and think about developing future matchups and stars, gotta try and rebuild guys after losses as well as manage all the different egos amongst the top fighters. And thats just the short of it all. 

Idk where this misconception comes from that its easier with syn. The easiest time I ever had booking was my org UFF in RIO back in 2015 which was a small time open ID org that made it close to top 10 but never cracked.

Second easiest was SMASH/ALPHA-1  which made it to #5 and was extremely fun while it lasted but yeah neither org was more demanding then syn.

"but i have no idea tho"

but go off

Edited by scottxbandz
spelling
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, 10thPlanetKT said:

Definitely. Bare in mind that we tell you these tasks we do weekly, but that's EVERY week. I had a weekend off recently at a caravan with no signal and nearly had an incomplete card as a result. Highland has been running for around 7 months now. That's about 28 weeks of coming on consistently to run the org.

I knew I couldn't handle writing this time. In 2014-2016 I definitely had a more relaxed life haha so I immediately knew I would burn out if I tried to do that.

Most orgs just stumble once or twice and the owner starts to lose interest and it snowballs. It's hard to find help who has the same vision. I know that from experience.

17 hours ago, Icon73 said:

Well if you have a big roster (200-300) you are doing anywhere from 2-4 events a week. That would be 1-2 hours for 1 weekend. Add the fact that you usually book 3-4 weeks ahead and you are talking 4-8 hours for booking starting from scratch and 1-2 hours ever week in maintenance.

Is all the other things surrounding it that are way more tedious and time consuming. 

Main thing though that burns org owners out is all the different managers being extremely demanding and not understanding or empathetic. Lots of fight duckers. People demand huge salaries and People think we make money hand over fist even though most orgs lose money. So many other things to add but it would take too long.

The reason why most of the fighter base doesn't know what ya'll go through to upkeep the organization lol. Because experienced managers make it look easy to run a PPV over doesn't mean it is easy. t Having to pay someone a whole jet with upfront money and a million dollar contract because they are ranked 1-10 is expensive. Now imagine having an org of top 100 fighters thinking they are all obligated to that amount of money. That gives me an idea. Rarely, once every so often, ya'll an crack open the books like mentor did on a forum and go into detail about whether you are losing/ gaining money and what the financial outlook is. That way not every bozo asks for "McGregor money" like Dana White puts it. 

The matchmaking issue is an issue fix. If a champ is too pussy to fight the #1 contender strip them. Champions shouldn't be denying fights lol. Eat the meat cut the fat. Make an example out of those that are sitting on a lead and just drop them from the org. Seems kind of radical but......... ?makes the world go around.

I remember mentor did a thread not to long ago about how PPV Promotions don't make as much money as you might think do to being in debt. When I find it later on in the week I'll make sure to post it here. 

On 9/18/2021 at 1:23 AM, Icon73 said:

Mate I'm not referring to those fighters. I can show you 10 fighters RN who are fairly young who were spar botted with a high rank even though they could be competitive in my org. 

Guys just like this

https://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=317291

Sparbotted since 33 while being highly ranked.

https://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=168852

He was starting to decline hard by his last fight at 33 - his age drop off was 31. 

It is why I don't question when fighters became spar bots because I have no idea what is going on under the hood. 

19 minutes ago, ArtieBanks said:

https://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=168852

He was starting to decline hard by his last fight at 33 - his age drop off was 31. 

It is why I don't question when fighters became spar bots because I have no idea what is going on under the hood. 

If you are still world champion and winning on an elite level like he was you probably should still be fighting. Its not like these virtual fighters will get CTE from fighting to long. 

1 hour ago, 10thPlanetKT said:

The reason why most of the fighter base doesn't know what ya'll go through to upkeep the organization lol. Because experienced managers make it look easy to run a PPV over doesn't mean it is easy. t Having to pay someone a whole jet with upfront money and a million dollar contract because they are ranked 1-10 is expensive. Now imagine having an org of top 100 fighters thinking they are all obligated to that amount of money. That gives me an idea. Rarely, once every so often, ya'll an crack open the books like mentor did on a forum and go into detail about whether you are losing/ gaining money and what the financial outlook is. That way not every bozo asks for "McGregor money" like Dana White puts it. 

The matchmaking issue is an issue fix. If a champ is too pussy to fight the #1 contender strip them. Champions shouldn't be denying fights lol. Eat the meat cut the fat. Make an example out of those that are sitting on a lead and just drop them from the org. Seems kind of radical but......... ?makes the world go around.

I remember mentor did a thread not to long ago about how PPV Promotions don't make as much money as you might think do to being in debt. When I find it later on in the week I'll make sure to post it here. 

Stripping a champion would hurt the org only. We get a big hype hit. Nothing happens to the champion if you strip him though.

2 hours ago, Icon73 said:

Stripping a champion would hurt the org only. We get a big hype hit. Nothing happens to the champion if you strip him though.

Yea I heard it was 10% or something like that. I don't mean just strip him. I mean drop him from the entire org and make an announcement. That is a way you could keep the contenders in line that nobody is safe.

I don't mind stripping a champ if I have to. It is a bit of a big hit but if it has to be done, it has to be done. Noel Diaz moved to FW to fight there full time. Had to strip the belt. Then he moved to LW. Had to strip the belt. Needle Dick went inactive as champ and I've had to recently strip that too. It sucks but if you gotta do it there's no point dwelling over it.

3 hours ago, Icon73 said:

If you are still world champion and winning on an elite level like he was you probably should still be fighting. Its not like these virtual fighters will get CTE from fighting to long. 

Part and parcel of playing the game. I didn't want him to lose because his skills were deteriorating. 

Why should a manager take the hit because an org owner thinks a fighter should still be fighting?  

I'd also like to put this in 

'People think we make money hand over fist even though most orgs lose money. So many other things to add but it would take too long.'

If a PPV org is losing money then you are doing it wrong. They are called money printers for a reason. 

Jug paid out possibly the most anyone ever did. He also went way overboard with signing bonuses, buying out other orgs and paid me about 2mil a month to work for him. He still made enough profit to run two private gyms and still have some left over. 

• Like 1