Dynamic pbp scrolling speed

Xyel

Right now, the fight scrolling speed is constant, which makes some lines slow and boring, like  "Hawk checks a leg kick," which is ~1 second at the reading speed of 300 words per minute, and some rather hard to read in time before the line rolls over, like "Hawk on the wrong end of a nice low kick. He's acting like it's no big deal but he doesn't want to take many more of those," which is ~5,2 seconds at the same reading speed.

There is no fixed number that fits both lines, but the scrolling time could perhaps be adjusted from a constant to a result of a formula, much like I calculated above.

And that could make pbp quite a bit more exciting while being relatively easy to implement.

• Upvote 2

Fit the speed somewhere in the middle, worst case you're reading a short line and you're done before text advances and worst case you get hit with a big line and it might take 1 line to catch up but you're still not going to fall behind. This is only a problem if you're trying to read the text exactly as it shows up and I'm still rarely caught off guard by a finish as there's a 'he's rocked' line that I can use to catch up if it was following a longer line.

This is a weird issue to try and tackle because everyone has both a different reading speed and strat for reading the pbp, for the above I find 1850 comfortable, it's fast enough that I'm not bored during the pbp and slow enough that I'm not falling behind.

Edit: I see what you mean instead of setting a 'dynamic scrolling speed', you're suggesting a set speed option based on reading speed that can be calculated by line, I could see this being thrown together somewhat easy from that perceptive. I like it, not sure if I'll alter the way I read pbp tho so having the option to just let it roll as it does already would be nice.