MLB 2018 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Deuce7

Deuce7

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 3,054 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Football, Hockey, MMA, basically anything sports related.
  • Manager Profile

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:28 AM

Spring training is upon us, so let's get this rolling with some off-season highlights................

Shohei Ohtani surprises everyone and signs with the Angels

Wade Davis gets $52million and heads to the thin air of Coors Field

Derek Jeter takes over Miami and unloads Giancarlo Stanton (Yankees), Dee Gordon (Mariners), Marcell Ozuna (Cardinals) and Christian Yelich (Brewers)

Angels add another high profile piece by trading for Ian Kinsler

Dodgers reunite with Matt Kemp in a contract dump trade with the Braves

Giants make a huge splash by trading for Evan Longoria and Andrew McCutchen

Jay Bruce goes back to the Mets on a 3yr $39million deal

Brewers lure Lorenzo Cain away from the Royals & Giants

Astros pull off a stunner and acquire Gerrit Cole

Todd Frazier rides the subway and signs with the Mets

Cubs land another big name pitcher and ink Darvish to a 6yr $126million contract

Padres outbid Royals with $144million for Eric Hosmer

J.D. Martinez and the Red Sox end their off-season long dance and finally agree to a deal

#2 RegularJohn

RegularJohn

Purple Belt

• Manager
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Good thread and thanks for the info, I wasn't up to all of those news.

First thing that I can think of is that that great KC Royals team no longer exists. Also the Giants look good and the Jay Bruce deal is a bargain IMO.

#3 Affekonig

Affekonig

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

Yankees are loading up.

#4 The1rstSaint

The1rstSaint

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

Miami is always dumping talent, wtf. I guess it somewhat works for them though.

Saints_sig.jpg

tenor.gif

#5 Deuce7

Deuce7

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 3,054 posts
  • Manager Profile

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

Good thread and thanks for the info, I wasn't up to all of those news.

First thing that I can think of is that that great KC Royals team no longer exists. Also the Giants look good and the Jay Bruce deal is a bargain IMO.

Unfortunately the Royals were never going to spend the money to keep their core together, but it was enjoyable to watch them make their runs the last few years after being completely irrelevant for about two decades.

Giants are using the Dodgers formula; get established veterans who might have their best years behind them. I'm still surprised they pulled off both trades considering their farm system is awful, but I guess that's why I'm not an MLB exec.

I was very surprised to see Bruce go back to the Mets after we saw so many reports that he wasn't happy in New York, but I guess $13million per year will cheer most guys up.

Miami is always dumping talent, wtf. I guess it somewhat works for them though.

This one I understand more then the two after their World Series wins. I think they're new owners will be willing to spend the money and not blow up the team every 6-7 years, but they needed to hit the reset button and find new faces of their franchise. It will still be about 3-4 years before they actually look good, but patience is key.

#6 Deuce7

Deuce7

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 3,054 posts
  • Manager Profile

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

Yankees are loading up.

Nothing new there, but they're at least doing it a little different then past years and not over paying every guy.

#7 JLP

JLP

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

The JD Martinez signing the other day was funny to me due to the ESPN coverage I saw on it.  On Around the Horn they were crowing about the signing, saying he puts up Trout #s.  I had to look the dude up, he had a good year last year, but he is far from Mike Trout.  They both came into the league in '11 but Trout blows him away in every stat.  Martinez' last year was the only year with an OPS higher than Trout's career OPS.   Just goes to show that ESPN will slob that knob if you play for the red sox or Yankees.

#8 Deuce7

Deuce7

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 3,054 posts
  • Manager Profile

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

The JD Martinez signing the other day was funny to me due to the ESPN coverage I saw on it.  On Around the Horn they were crowing about the signing, saying he puts up Trout #s.  I had to look the dude up, he had a good year last year, but he is far from Mike Trout.  They both came into the league in '11 but Trout blows him away in every stat.  Martinez' last year was the only year with an OPS higher than Trout's career OPS.   Just goes to show that ESPN will slob that knob if you play for the red sox or Yankees.

Martinez has only had two good seasons and that was after Miguel Cabrera taught him how to hit. Before that Martinez was a high rated prospect from the Astros that couldn't hit to save his life once he reached the big leagues.

#9 JLP

JLP

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

Martinez has only had two good seasons and that was after Miguel Cabrera taught him how to hit. Before that Martinez was a high rated prospect from the Astros that couldn't hit to save his life once he reached the big leagues.

I'd heard the name before, but couldnt tell you who he played for as I dont watch the AL much at all.  I was pretty shocked when ESPN told me he was a Mike Trout level hitter. 

#10 Deuce7

Deuce7

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 3,054 posts
  • Manager Profile

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

I'd heard the name before, but couldnt tell you who he played for as I dont watch the AL much at all.  I was pretty shocked when ESPN told me he was a Mike Trout level hitter. 

I really can't wait to hear what ESPN has to say about Harper next off-season if they're comparing Martinez to Trout. I'm predicting "greatest player of all-time" will come up at least a few times.

#11 kenlow73

kenlow73

Red Belt

• Manager
  • 8,105 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Video Editing, Music, Pro Wrestling, MMA, Bucs, Bulls, Boltz, Rays, Magic, Noles, Vegas Golden Knights, and The UNLV Running Rebs.
  • Manager Profile

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

uh, go Rays.

23844f55e258c7d5f0a812c3eb54b9ec.gif1490140446hxf_logo.png55c16b1bd76c7b2b605aa607029bf545.png

#12 JLP

JLP

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:18 AM

I really can't wait to hear what ESPN has to say about Harper next off-season if they're comparing Martinez to Trout. I'm predicting "greatest player of all-time" will come up at least a few times.

He's a good hitter, but man is he overrated.  Two really great years and four above average ones.  Add in that the dude has been hurt frequently and I dread him potentially coming to Chicago.  He's going to get 40 mil a year and I hope its somewhere other then with the cubs. 

#13 PBR

PBR

Red Belt

• 11,948 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:26 AM

looking like gonna be a repeat of last year -- go stroooo's

1410590406devilsrejects1.jpg

"I am the devil... and I am here to do the Devil's work."

Bomb Squad knocked into retirement by Biggums

#14 Deuce7

Deuce7

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 3,054 posts
  • Manager Profile

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:30 AM

looking like gonna be a repeat of last year -- go stroooo's

I'm predicting the Cubs and Astros will make several appearances in the World Series over the next 5 years. Not necessarily against each other, but at least one of them.  

#15 Affekonig

Affekonig

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 799 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Houston Astros minor leaguer Forrest Whitley, one of the game's top pitching prospects, has been suspended 50 games for a violation of minor league baseball's drug program, Major League Baseball announced on Wednesday.

#16 Deuce7

Deuce7

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 3,054 posts
  • Manager Profile

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:05 AM

Houston Astros minor leaguer Forrest Whitley, one of the game's top pitching prospects, has been suspended 50 games for a violation of minor league baseball's drug program, Major League Baseball announced on Wednesday.

At least it wasn't PEDs, but it's still an problem. Hopefully he gets clean.

#17 Jacman

Jacman

Black Belt

• Manager
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

I'm glad Martinez ended up on the red sox and not the Diamondbacks. He was far too expensive for a really good power hitter and shit outfielder. This new front office has been making some smart moves and not signing him is just one more to tack on. Signing Dyson as a 4th outfielder for speed and defense was a smart move and trading for Souza is a great replacement for Martinez. He's not the same level hitter but he has good power and average defense. Not to mention he's a couple years younger and under team control for a few years.

Jacman_Sig.jpg

untitled-19mnryf.gifgiphy.gif

PFL 6 Champion

2017 Camp League Runner-up

#18 JLP

JLP

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

I had a good laugh today when I got home and turned on the Cubs/Sox game on the DVR.  The look on my wifes face when she realized its baseball season again and I will be watching about 170 (hopefully more if the cubs go deep in the playoffs) games over the next 8 months.  I told her she had all of February with me watching no sports except MMA.

#19 Deuce7

Deuce7

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 3,054 posts
  • Manager Profile

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

I had a good laugh today when I got home and turned on the Cubs/Sox game on the DVR.  The look on my wifes face when she realized its baseball season again and I will be watching about 170 (hopefully more if the cubs go deep in the playoffs) games over the next 8 months.  I told her she had all of February with me watching no sports except MMA.

Thankfully my wife enjoys baseball. Not as much as I do, but she will gladly sit down and watch a game.

#20 JLP

JLP

Red Belt

• Developer
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:17 AM

Arrieta to the Phils.  I wish him luck, he had the most dominant season I've ever seen for a Cubs pitcher a couple years back.  He had a rough first half last year and struggled a bit.  But he did have a nice second half, despite losing substantial velocity off the fastball. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users