Flair - My idea (I think it's unique)

UniConor

So I was thinking about MMAT a minute ago and thought, I've never won by a spectacular knockout. I thought a little bit more, I know me thinking is usually dangerous but this time I've come up with an idea.

FLAIR - I'm not really sure what to call it, I thought maybe creativity but that doesn't really cut it for me, so I'll steal a term from football.

What this means to me is, like Anthony Pettis, Conor McGregor and Anderson Silva have, that kind of uniqueness style where they throw spectacular kicks and such and I do see these kind of knockouts in the game but I just don't see them enough, anywhere so this is a couple ideas on how I see it being implemented (I'm a little bit of a scatterbrain so stick with me while I mix through points)

So my first thought was to add flair as a hidden, fighters with high flair will pull of more flashy moves like superman punches, spinning backfists, wheel kicks, heel kicks, whatever you've seen. They will throw it. This could turn a Kick Boxer into a Taekwando fighter like Anthony Pettis and although it would usually just be flavour text, they would throw more power, damaging shots that maybe take up more energy. Then I thought, well maybe people don't want to have a flairy fighter, they want a gritty boxer without flair just a straight up brawler, so this moves on to my second idea.

A slider or a tick box for FLAIR. You can choose for your fighter to pull off more fancy moves like spinning heel kicks by putting the slider up the flair scale meaning they will throw more singlular, powerful strikes at you that cost more energy or they could move the slider down and have a gritty simple boxer. It doesn't mean that the more flairy the fighter the better he is, it's just gives people more freedom to make a unique kind of fighter. Maybe the gritty fighter could knockout the over the top flashy guy and counter his moves or maybe the opposite.

Just a simple idea, what is your thoughts on this? Any additional ideas or corrections you could make to my idea? I hope I explained this properly kinda tired and ill when writing it :P

Going back to a point, maybe people will say "You can just choose more combos with higher accuracy or more single shots with damage" but I want to see just a little more variety I suppose, to see a little more flair and give people an easier option to use flair would be fun. Not that I would use it, but it always make it more interesting to read if a couple spinning back fists are attemped. But in no way do I want to see a fight where it's all just ridiculous attempt after ridiculous attempts of showtime kicks. Realism and fairness come over this all day.

• Upvote 16
  • Downvote 1

I like the idea but I don't think we need it to be more damaging at the cost of energy, that's just adding more to the game and it already has a pretty nice learning curve(From my experience trying to get others to play) I'd like to see it as more of a useless hidden that shouldn't effect the fighters ability but it effects how interesting they are to read and I'd like to see more then just a showtime kick or a superman punch. It could be measured in multiple hiddens with each one effecting something so you might stumble upon it while training a fighter.

So say I made an 18 year old boxer and his flair hiddens looked like this;

Flair-Punch - 32

Flair-Kick - 83

Flair-Elbow - 29

Flair-Knees - 44

Flair-GnP - 60

Flair-Sub - 147

So I might be a bit disappointed that he isn't showy with his punches, but his kicks end up being alright then god knows how long later I learn that he actually pulls some crazy looking subs. I'm also not sure how you'd give GnP some flair but I'm sure it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea but I don't think we need it to be more damaging at the cost of energy, that's just adding more to the game and it already has a pretty nice learning curve(From my experience trying to get others to play) I'd like to see it as more of a useless hidden that shouldn't effect the fighters ability but it effects how interesting they are to read and I'd like to see more then just a showtime kick or a superman punch. It could be measured in multiple hiddens with each one effecting something so you might stumble upon it while training a fighter.

So say I made an 18 year old boxer and his flair hiddens looked like this;

Flair-Punch - 32

Flair-Kick - 83

Flair-Elbow - 29

Flair-Knees - 44

Flair-GnP - 60

Flair-Sub - 147

So I might be a bit disappointed that he isn't showy with his punches, but his kicks end up being alright then god knows how long later I learn that he actually pulls some crazy looking subs. I'm also not sure how you'd give GnP some flair but I'm sure it can be done.

I like the idea of Flair but maybe just add this to skill stats together with agility, flexibility & etc. So the lesser the flair, the more tactical the fighter.

And the flair moves should be used automatically by small % depending on the fighter's skill stats.

Example:

a Kick off the Cage can't be done realistically if the fighter has low agility or speed or kicks or flexibility.. I think the skill stats and disciplines should play a big factor on what moves the fighter can flair to. So this idea is a bit complex.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of Flair but maybe just add this to skill stats together with agility, flexibility & etc. So the lesser the flair, the more tactical the fighter.

And the flair moves should be used automatically by small % depending on the fighter's skill stats.

Example:

a Kick off the Cage can't be done realistically if the fighter has low agility or speed or kicks or flexibility.. I think the skill stats and disciplines should play a big factor on what moves the fighter can flair to. So this idea is a bit complex.

The program could check for example:

If flexibility for ex. is more than 10 and Agility more than 10, Balance more than 12, fighter is able to do a spinning heel kick.

If Agility is more than14, Balance more than 7, flexibility mire than 10, he is able to tornado kick and so on.

The program could check for example:

If flexibility for ex. is more than 10 and Agility more than 10, Balance more than 12, fighter is able to do a spinning heel kick.

If Agility is more than14, Balance more than 7, flexibility mire than 10, he is able to tornado kick and so on.

I think it has to be a lot higher than those stats if the move is a spinning heel kick/axe kick maybe 70+ or 60+ or higher. The lower ones should be superman punch or spinning back fist or spinning elbow, which require lower stats.

I think it has to be a lot higher than those stats if the move is a spinning heel kick/axe kick maybe 70+ or 60+ or higher. The lower ones should be superman punch or spinning back fist or spinning elbow, which require lower stats.

I'm pretty sure he was using the numbers on the 1-15 scale the game follows so his numbers are pretty high. I could also get behind this idea since it would add a bit if interesting depth to the game, only athletic fighters would pull these off and on the manager side you could read past fight of your opponent and try to gather his physicals by what moves he uses.

Yea, the numbers are pretty high :) But for example, a Superman Punch would require 6 agility, 6 punches.

Spinning back fist - 8 balance, 4 punches.

Axe kick - flexibility 12, kicks 5.

Spinning Back Kick (to body) - agility 7, balance 6, kicks 6.

One feint Head Kick - flexibility 10, agility 8, kicks 8.

Twister - BJJ purple belt, flexibility 7, submissions 10.

Anaconda Choke - Submissions 8, BJJ Purple belt.

Omoplata - Flexibility 11, BJJ Blue Belt, Submissions 7.

Gogoplata - Flexibility 13, BJJ Briwn Belt, Submissions 10.

Spinning Back Elbow - Elbows 10, Balance 8.

Flying knee - Agility 9, Balance 9, Flexibilty 7.

Front Kick - Agility 4, Kicks 5.

And so on :) And yes, I mean the 1-15 counting of skills :) like useless woeful and so on :)

• Downvote 3

Yea, the numbers are pretty high :) But for example, a Superman Punch would require 6 agility, 6 punches.

Spinning back fist - 8 balance, 4 punches.

Axe kick - flexibility 12, kicks 5.

Spinning Back Kick (to body) - agility 7, balance 6, kicks 6.

One feint Head Kick - flexibility 10, agility 8, kicks 8.

Twister - BJJ purple belt, flexibility 7, submissions 10.

Anaconda Choke - Submissions 8, BJJ Purple belt.

Omoplata - Flexibility 11, BJJ Blue Belt, Submissions 7.

Gogoplata - Flexibility 13, BJJ Briwn Belt, Submissions 10.

Spinning Back Elbow - Elbows 10, Balance 8.

Flying knee - Agility 9, Balance 9, Flexibilty 7.

Front Kick - Agility 4, Kicks 5.

And so on :) And yes, I mean the 1-15 counting of skills :) like useless woeful and so on :)

nice moves you got there. pretty balanced stats too. the submissions are tricky though because they have to be done in specific positions and transitions