Weight Divisions - Ultimate Solution?

Timmy

There's always some thread or other about extra weight divisions...

Why not allow org owners complete freedom to define their own divisions?

Type in minimum and maximum weight, minimum and maximum ID, and give it a name.

Select from MMA/Kickboxing/QFC/Grappling options.

Org owners would be able to create an extra division to run a tournament. Divisions could be managed to suit the fighters avaliable to an org, and managers will find it easier to find a perfect division for their fighter.

With ID peramiters too, an org could even run two divisions at the same weight range for old and new fighters.

Maybe a 6 division limit for orgs (to stop one org covering everything).

I expect there will be complications (rankings?) and it sounds like a big project for Mike (Sorry Mike!), but in principle?

• Upvote 7

Not really sold on this. As you mentioned there will be complications with rankings. Furthermore, in the US, there are set weightclasses made clear by the unified MMA rules. I don't see a lot of benefit in this.

Potential complications are an issue and Mike could rule it out if inpractical, but there are benefits IMO. I used to run an org and I would have loved this, for so many reasons, but mainly because it would give orgs a chance to be more creative. As a manager now I think it would be great also to get more information on org policy while "shopping around". I see your point about RL weights, but I don't think different weight classes is stretching realism too far.

I see no practical upshot to this short of pissing off everyone who deliberately builds their fighter to be as heavy as possible for their division lol.

Maybe it would be easier to find a division where your fighter is fighting heavy because whatever he weighs there will be a division somewhere where he's the heaviest?

• 1 month later...

The one good idea in this thread is to limit how many weight classes an org can offer. We could flat out open more weight classes if orgs were limited in how many weight classes they could run. Barely anyone would open a 125 if it meant shutting down a more popular division. However, a small handful would do it to cater to the small handful of 125 lb creations.

Before we do this i would rather have a dropdown box on the fight scheduling page where you can choose either the weightclass you are booking for OR "Any" to prevent having to release and resign a fighter for a different weightclass fight. this would help out for 170-185 and other classes... it would also make for a sort of Tycoon Catchweight

Before we do this i would rather have a dropdown box on the fight scheduling page where you can choose either the weightclass you are booking for OR "Any" to prevent having to release and resign a fighter for a different weightclass fight. this would help out for 170-185 and other classes... it would also make for a sort of Tycoon Catchweight

That is a fantastic idea Scooby. I would be in favor of that as well.

Awesome idea. It would remove a TON of headaches from both fighter and org owner when scheduling one-off fights in different weight classes.

I think this js bullshit, but it's just my opinion. Org owners could make such things like 145-200lbs Shitweight divisions :D And also, while creating a fighter, you're thinking about the weights he could fight in. And what now? Are you gonna be looking at all of the other cities orgs? Maybe he'll fit in a beggining org, but you'll move up to, for example, Ascension where weight classes are different? :)

• Downvote 1

I think this js bullshit, but it's just my opinion. Org owners could make such things like 145-200lbs Shitweight divisions :D And also, while creating a fighter, you're thinking about the weights he could fight in. And what now? Are you gonna be looking at all of the other cities orgs? Maybe he'll fit in a beggining org, but you'll move up to, for example, Ascension where weight classes are different? :)

Aah yes, the Takanori Gomi gambit.

Some people like to get worked up over nothing. If Mike changed this, you wouldn't have orgs with bizarre weight classes all over the place. Most orgs would use the standard weight classes because that is what UFC does. We barely have any orgs making use of KT or making any other kind of specialty org.

With that being said, let's cap the number of weight classes an org can run before opening up the floodgates. Otherwise, one rich org could open up 20 weight classes that are all 5 lbs apart and sign everyone under the sun, while the smaller orgs would struggle. It would also allow specialty weight classes (ones smaller and bigger than we currently have) to succeed because only a handful of orgs would waste one of their division slots on them.

Some people like to get worked up over nothing. If Mike changed this, you wouldn't have orgs with bizarre weight classes all over the place. Most orgs would use the standard weight classes because that is what UFC does. We barely have any orgs making use of KT or making any other kind of specialty org.

I agree. The change would allow people to create custom classes but there's no reason to expect every org to go mental. I think it's a good thing that orgs would be able to make very clear exactly what their divisions are, and do something different with each one if they choose.

See this topic also... http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41949&hl=

So, yes, I've started two topics about "org freedom" to diversify divisions. I really think there's something in these two ideas, or some combination, to improve the game.

With that being said, let's cap the number of weight classes an org can run before opening up the floodgates. Otherwise, one rich org could open up 20 weight classes that are all 5 lbs apart and sign everyone under the sun, while the smaller orgs would struggle. It would also allow specialty weight classes (ones smaller and bigger than we currently have) to succeed because only a handful of orgs would waste one of their division slots on them.

Yes. Capping the orgs to a smaller number of divisions was in the original post! :)