The New Players Guide to Effective Fighter Building

PSUMike

Think I am going to have to flip the way I create people and go with the no strength/conditioning way for once.

Normally I create them with high those two and low others then try and work speed etc up which after reading this does actually sound the worse of the two options logically!

my guys will pop in cardio and strength (with a ggod stam supp) every 2 sessions until they get to a certain level and then it's more like 4 sessions. cardio and strength are not "learned" skills so they pop regardless of how smart they are. circuits take awhile to pop so it's best to get them up (in ur area of expertise) rite off the bat.

my guys will pop in cardio and strength (with a ggod stam supp) every 2 sessions until they get to a certain level and then it's more like 4 sessions. cardio and strength are not "learned" skills so they pop regardless of how smart they are. circuits take awhile to pop so it's best to get them up (in ur area of expertise) rite off the bat.

Does this mean my new guy is a fast learner as he popped every session in cardio until Superb? (using 156 stamina sup too)

Does this mean my new guy is a fast learner as he popped every session in cardio until Superb? (using 156 stamina sup too)

not really. cardio isn't a learned skill (at least in real life). it's just sumthin u train and it gets better. i think it was tapeleg that said he trained multiple guys in cardio and they always popped at the same time. my guys all pop at the same time but at different levels since i didn't make them all at the same time.

how would you create a rampage jackson?

Rampage would be like a Chuck Liddell. If slams are your goal, I would suggest very high strength (remarkable), good takedowns (at least strong), and a solid clinchwork base (respectable at minimum).

In reality, Rampage's clinchwork is awful but if you want slam KOs, that is probably the best way to do so.

Rampage would be like a Chuck Liddell. If slams are your goal, I would suggest very high strength (remarkable), good takedowns (at least strong), and a solid clinchwork base (respectable at minimum).

In reality, Rampage's clinchwork is awful but if you want slam KOs, that is probably the best way to do so.

so there ARE slams on this game? just curious cuz i've never seen one

Great stuff, Mike.

I definitely made a LOT of mistakes when I made up my guys back in April.

I realize many of the mistakes, but it's hard to cut them loose. I'm trying to see if I can salvage them with lots of training and only infrequent fighting.

Interesting food for thought, here.

watcha you all consider good rating? 50? 60? 70?

Good question. I'll use a Chuck Liddell as an example as I have 5 of them. When I build a Liddell, I will put ~70 into boxing, ~65 into wrestling, and the rest in BJJ. Don't be afraid to give a fighter 1 point in a stat you aren't going to use, like muay thai. Punches will be around 90 to 100, takedown defense and defensive grappling will be around 80-90. Striking defense will be about 70ish, clinchwork will be in 50s. The rest will be low (1-10). I may put some points into gnp or something if the mood suits me. But like I said, don't be afraid to put like 1 point in something like elbows, kicks, or knees because those points can be better served in other areas you will use.

I would say 60-70 is "good."

Most of my fighters end up being 'Bispings.' And they seem to do fairly well. It can work.

(Most of my 'Bispings' are skilled in wrestling - highest, and a striking skill and BJJ - although some have all 4 primary skills built up)

But if you are going to go this way, you need good wrestling, with good takedown offence and defence. That way you can exploit your opponents weaknesses (and those created Mike's way always have acute weaknesses in some areas).

In fact, the only fighter I created to be a totally balanced fighter from the begining is getting near to holding a belt in Mike's org ;)

Also a note: Mike Tycoon has mentioned that for offence, boxing OR MT is better than a little of both [i would have made my original fighters differently had I known that], but you use the skill you're being attacked with for defence (eg MT vs a kick - along with striking defence, which is universal, of course). So having 1 point in something makes you vulnerable. You might want to start with 1 point, but get up to at least abysmal later, in my opinion.

And I have a slam TKO too :)

http://mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=24845

2 examples of my balanced fighters:

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=4645

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=3721

and the more 3-skilled type:

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=3714

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=4210

not really. cardio isn't a learned skill (at least in real life). it's just sumthin u train and it gets better. i think it was tapeleg that said he trained multiple guys in cardio and they always popped at the same time. my guys all pop at the same time but at different levels since i didn't make them all at the same time.
Yeah, that was me, and it's true. Learning speed and popping cardio are independent of each other. I suspect that the same applies to strength and other physical attributes, but haven't had the opportunity to test it.

My first 2 guys are just totally fucked up, I didn't know anything about anything while making them. Still they are 7-1 and 7-2. My most recent guys are remarkable/wonderful at something, usually BJJ / Wrestling and then I just build up another skills, while leaving those secondary skills that I dont want/need to 1.

Example of BJJ guy with good boxing(Well needs some training, but its worth it):

BJJ: 99

Wrestling: 49

Boxing: 1----->60-80(First thing to train)

Muay Thai: 1---->30(Second thing to train)

Punches:99

Kicks:1

Elbows:1

Knees:1

Clinchwork:29

Striking Defense:99

Ground n Pound:1

Takedown Off:39

Takedown Def:1

Submissions:69

Defensive Grap:89

My first 2 guys are just totally fucked up, I didn't know anything about anything while making them. Still they are 7-1 and 7-2. My most recent guys are remarkable/wonderful at something, usually BJJ / Wrestling and then I just build up another skills, while leaving those secondary skills that I dont want/need to 1.

Example of BJJ guy with good boxing(Well needs some training, but its worth it):

BJJ: 99

Wrestling: 49

Boxing: 1----->60-80(First thing to train)

Muay Thai: 1---->30(Second thing to train)

Punches:99

Kicks:1

Clinchwork:29

Striking Defense:99

Takedown Off:39

Takedown Def:1

Submissions:69

Defensive Grap:89

This guy has serious potential but he needs a lot of work. If he were my fighter, I would do a lot of boxing and wrestling sparring as well as takedowns. I would avoid having him fight for at least a month and a half. I don't think he has the wrestling to take down a good fighter. If you could get his boxing to the respectable/proficient range, he would be a good BJ Penn. But I would turn him into a Maia then work his boxing.

This is all pretty interesting and a nice post. Pretty sure the first few guys I put together were all to spread out and not specialized. Now that I know how things work and what to do, this will help.

I am slowly starting my new crop of guys after my first batch are all in the bisping range for the most part. Currently my builds are something like this:

BJJ: 40

Wrestling: 30

Boxing/Muay Thai: 80

Punches/Kicks: 80

Clinchwork:20

Striking Defense:80

Takedown Off:10

Takedown Def:80

Submissions:30

Defensive Grap:80

Somewhere along those lines

ViolentAmbitions - I guess its just because I am a nice guy. You are still on my shit list btw ;)

MMAStation - 30 points in wrestling isn't enough to stop the TDs even with 80 in TDD. Trust me on that one. You need to get in the 60 range before your guy will consistenly be able to stuff them over and over against decent wrestlers. I had a respectable wrestler with strong takedown defense get taken down by a feeble wrestler not too long ago. He got back up and beat the holy hell out of the guy shortly there after, but if the guy was decent on the ground, it would have been game over.