NFL 2017 Discussion

JLP

So, who is the top picks in the draft?

Going into the season, the draftniks were drooling over the top 3 qb's (darnold, rosen and rudolph) and all three of them have been pretty disappointing. Now that those three QB's have fallen back, it's looked at as a mediocre draft class. Good depth at DL, DE, RB and safety.

• Upvote 1

Just for fun I went back and read CK's Bucs and NFL predictions.

Still a lot of games left. I definitely didn't see the Eagles, Saints, or Jaguars playing at the level they're at. I knew it'd be a tough start to the season for the Bucs but expected more from them, the Raiders, Giants, and couldn't of predicted an Aaron Rodgers injury for the Packers. I feel like I was pretty accurate with most teams so far outside those 6 and a few others.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6

7-9 to 11-5 with a realistic chance of repeating another 9-7 year. I think we can skate into the NFC championship and maybe sneak into the Superbowl if the team lives up to their potential and stays healthy. NFC South has been represented in the Superbowl lately, trend might continue with Bucs or Panthers.

Probowl

Jameis Winston, Mike Evans, Gerald McCoy, Kwon Alexander, Lavonte David, Brent Grimes

Off. Rookie of the Year

Dalvin Cook (Injured - durability was something I was very concerned with Dalvin Cook before coming to the NFL, he got nicked up a lot at FSU - but he was playing at a high level before that)

Def. Rookie of the Year

T.J. Watt (Great first game and kind of faded off a bit after that. Still a lot of time left)

Superbowl

Raiders/Patriots vs Bucs/Panthers

AFC Playoffs

1. Patriots (13-3)
  2. Raiders (11-5)
  3. Steelers (10-6)
  4. Titans (9-7)
  5. Chiefs (10-6)
  6. Texans (8-8)

NFC Playoffs

1. Buccaneers* (11-5)
  2. Seahawks (11-5)
  3. Packers (11-5)
  4. Giants (10-6)
  5. Panthers* (10-6)
  6. Cowboys/Vikings (9-7)

* teams could be swapped

Losing Records (7 wins or less):

Browns, 49ers, Bears, Saints, Eagles, Jaguars, Dolphins, Rams, Bills, Jets, Chargers

Even Records (8-8ish):

Texans, Lions, Redskins, Falcons, Colts, Ravens, Bengals, Cardinals, Broncos

Winning Records (9 wins or more):

Patriots, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Steelers, Packers, Raiders, Chiefs, Titans, Giants, Panthers, Vikings, Cowboys

Bucs, Packers, Raiders, probably not. Still not impossible. Couldn't of predicted an Aaron Rodgers injury. Bucs, Giants, and Raiders are definitely the most disappointing teams in the NFL, probably in that order. Winston's looked terrible. His best game throwing the ball was against the Bills and the Bucs only victories this year have been against the worst teams in the NFL.

Still a lot of games left. I'll probably be off by a few more. Still fairly accurate predictions imo. 7-9 with a realistic chance of repeating 9-7. Still possibility to reach the ceiling but currently on track for the floor. The Bucs are just as likely to win the next 6 games in a row as they are to lose the next 6 games in a row too.

AFC East

Patriots

Dolphins

Bills

Jets

Summary: Should be another easy year for the Patriots. Only team in the division that isn't a complete dumpster fire. Dolphins will still pull off 2nd with Cutler, but it will still have a losing record. (Surprisingly the bottom three are not dumpster fires, but picking the Patriots was easy in this division).

AFC North

Steelers

Ravens - Wildcard

Bengals

Browns

Summary: Le'Veon Bell won't sit out and the Steelers will give Big Ben one last Super Bowl run. With a weak AFC this season, the Ravens will squeak into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. (Well not wrong so far. Ravens do still have a chance at the Wildcard, but so does everyone not named Colts, Broncos or Browns)

AFC South

Colts

Titans - Wildcard

Texans

Jaguars

Summary: This is the result if Andrew Luck stays healthy all season, but his O-line will need to improve by leaps and bounds this season. Texans will show flashes, but the DeShaun Watson will struggle, so Titans manage to get the Wildcard. (Clearly the Luck thing blew this one to hell. Way off on Watson, at least after his 2nd start. Jags are legit and might be the power in this division for a while)

AFC West

Raiders

Chiefs

Broncos

Chargers

Summary: Outside of the Raiders, this division will look bad. Broncos still can't decide who their QB is, the Chiefs are getting old and complacent and the Chargers will be focused on next season. (Who would have guessed the Raiders would have regressed this much from last season. At least I was right that the Broncos can't choose a QB)

NFC East

Giants

Cowboys

Eagles

Redskins

Summary: Hard to pick this one, but the Giants adding Brandon Marshall on the other side of OBJ is dangerous. If Ezekiel Elliott's suspension holds up (and it will), the Cowboys will struggle to find a decent run game and Dak will throw too much. (Injuries absolutely killed the Giants season. Zeke did get suspended, just a few weeks later then I thought)

NFC North

Packers

Vikings - Wildcard

Lions

Bears

Summary: Until anyone else shows otherwise, the Packers will rule this division. With Teddy Bridgewater's return, the Vikings offense should runs much smoother and could/should look even better then they did in 2015. (Well I guess without Rodgers, someone will show otherwise. Oddly enough, the Bridgewater return has yet to be seen, so I'm not technically wrong)

NFC South

Falcons

Buccaneers - Wildcard

Saints

Panthers

Summary: Another tough one, but Falcons looked unbeatable (until the 2nd half of the Super Bowl) last season and it should continue. The Bucs are due and the talent is there, so it will be a fun season for their fans. (Still have no idea what the hell is going on in this division. Bucs have the talent, but the offense has fallen off the face of the earth. Never would have guessed the Saints D would have been the driving force to a winning record)

NFC West

Seahawks

Cardinals

49ers

Rams

Summary: Dumpster fire division #2, but Seattle will win all of it's divisional games with out much trouble. Cards need to find their QB of the future, because Palmer's age will show and David Johnson can only do so much. (Todd Gurley finally decided to show up and man what a difference a year made for Jared Goff. Seatlle hasn't been bad, but injuries had caused them to struggle)

Mid-Season Semi-Bold Predictions

AFC East: Not starting too bold, because let's face it, the Patriots still win the division. I do think the Bills finish 8-8 as long as they stick with Tyrod Taylor.

AFC North: Sticking with my prediction that the Ravens manage the Wildcard with their last three games being very win-able making them at least 9-7.

AFC South: The Titans will manage to beat the three easiest teams on their schedule (49ers, Colts and Texans) and make the playoffs at 9-7.

AFC West: The Chiefs win by default based on their easy schedule, but the Chargers will make them worry until the Chiefs beat them in week 15.

NFC East: Zeke being suspended kills the Cowboys' season and they miss the playoffs, while the Redskins take a run at a Wildcard spot.

NFC North: Vikings don't lose another regular season game and the Lions win 4 of their remaining 6 to finish 10-6 and clinch a Wildcard.

NFC South: Atlanta and Carolina both finish at 9-7, but Atlanta will beat the Panthers to clinch the final Wildcard spot.

NFC West: Seattle had a decent start to the season, but manages to win one game the rest of the season and finishes 7-9.

Wildcard Round

Ravens @ Jaguars - Jags defense never give the Ravens a chance. Jags 34 - Ravens 10

Titans @ Chiefs - Playing in Kansas City is never easy, especially with a QB that can get rattled. Chiefs 27 - Titans 20

Falcons @ Saints - With each team beating the other at home (I'm guessing), the home team wins again. Saints 38 - Falcons 33

Lions @ Rams - L.A. people show up for winners, too bad the one they see won't be their team. Lions 34 - Rams 27

Divisional Round

Chiefs @ Patriots - Chiefs go up early, Patriots close late. Patriots 33 - Chiefs 23

Jaguars @ Steelers - As much as I want the upset, Steelers playoff experience shows. Steelers 24 - Jaguars 20

Lions @ Eagles - This will be a shootout, but Philly's offense it just too much at the end. Eagles 41 - Lions - 35

Saints @ Vikings - Vikings QB carousel finally comes back to haunt them. Saints 27 - Vikings 21

Conference Round

Steelers @ Patriots - Pittsburgh D roughs up Brady and the Steelers stun the Patriots. Steelers 34 - Patriots 28

Saints @ Eagles - Saints defense is good. Eagles offense is better. Eagles 37 - Saints 27

Super Bowl

Steelers vs Eagles - The all Pennsylvania Super Bowl is a thriller, but Carson Wentz throws a late pick that seals the game. Steelers 30 - Eagles 28

The Bucs are going to go on a miracle run and finish 10-6.

Not impossible. highly unlikely. Bucs only beat the absolute worst in the league and got our ass kicked by everybody else except the Bills, but they suck too. The teams we've beaten have some of the worst offenses in the league and they put points up on our D.

Falcons @ Seahawks was a bad sign. Only good thing is we got em on a short week. We lose that game and we're probably looking at a 6-10 or 7-9 year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Seahawks still get into the Superbowl though. The NFC championship is a tough call. Playoffs would be fun to watch because of all the unusual matchups. Vikings, Rams, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Eagles...

I honestly would be surprised if the Eagles or Saints made it past the NFC Championship game, regardless of how they look atm. If they stay streaky though, team stays confident and doesn't suffer any setbacks or injuries, or embarrassments on national TV, ya never know.

Well what is really firing up the Saints is they really have two lead backs. Not good for dfs because they both do so well, but hard to pick one over the other. Good for them though. Also really helps out their franchise too as they do have an option for when Ingram decides to ride off into the sunset or contract comes up and wants more than they are willing to pay him as they have a very capable rookie to pick up the lead back role. Which is nice to see Brees to have a good run option to allow the old guy to rest his arm a bit instead of having to throw for 350+ yards a game for a win. Meaning in actuality throwing for 500+ yards in attempts a game. That can really wear out that rotator cuff especially as you get older. Yet he has been doing it for what seems like the dawn of time now.

Not impossible. highly unlikely. Bucs only beat the absolute worst in the league and got our ass kicked by everybody else except the Bills, but they suck too. The teams we've beaten have some of the worst offenses in the league and they put points up on our D.

Falcons @ Seahawks was a bad sign. Only good thing is we got em on a short week. We lose that game and we're probably looking at a 6-10 or 7-9 year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Seahawks still get into the Superbowl though. The NFC championship is a tough call. Playoffs would be fun to watch because of all the unusual matchups. Vikings, Rams, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Eagles...

I think the NFC central has the highest chance of getting a wild card team into the playoffs currently.

I really for Kirk Cousins and the Washington Redskins though. They have lost so many of their wr weapons and last game lost their number 1 receiver in C. Thompson their running back going down with a fibula injury. Most of their passes and yardage comes from short accurate passes hoping that the receiver can gain extra yards with it. So that was a huge hit.

I really for Kirk Cousins and the Washington Redskins though. They have lost so many of their wr weapons and last game lost their number 1 receiver in C. Thompson their running back going down with a fibula injury. Most of their passes and yardage comes from short accurate passes hoping that the receiver can gain extra yards with it. So that was a huge hit.

He'll be in either Miami, Jacksonville or Arizona next season, so no big deal for him. He'll have plenty of weapons in any of those three places.

Eagles are a Super Bowl contender this year. We’re 2nd in the league in rushing. 1st at stopping the run. We lead the nfl in qb hurries/hits per game with 26. We lead the nfc with 20 takeaways. Carson is playing great situational football too. Just got Darby back and still have Sydney Jones (dunno if he’ll play this year tho).

However right now I’d pick the saints to represent the nfc. Defense is above average they are 3rd in the nfl in rushing and have turned drew brees into a game manager except when he needs to play hero ball like last week. That scares me. Vikings and Panthers aren’t pushovers but I trust Carson > Keenum or Newton.

Im thankful for joe Douglas bc howie roseman listens to him and he brought us Derek Barnett (leads birds in qb hits in way less snaps), Timmy Jernigan, Ronald Darby for a 3rd and Jordan Matthews. Ajayi for a 4th. I feel confident with our front office now

How is that possible to challenge in that scenario now that all potential score plays are reviewed anyways?

It was ruled as the runner being out of bounds at about the 1.5 yard line. He was clearly out. Fox challenged it trying to get a TD and they ended up ruling it as a fumble.

I'm still trying to figure out why Talib and Crabtree got suspended for two games apiece for fighting but Ramsey and Green didn't get suspended when they fought...

3dd07e3a8371d1ca66e3308b989365da.png

• Upvote 1

I'm still trying to figure out why Talib and Crabtree got suspended for two games apiece for fighting but Ramsey and Green didn't get suspended when they fought...

3dd07e3a8371d1ca66e3308b989365da.png

When do any of the suspensions make sense anymore?