UFC 209 Woodley vs Thompson 2 Pick'em Thread

kenlow73

I had it 3-2 Thompson. But so little happened in the first two rounds I cant get mad at the judges giving either of those to Woodley. 5th round was definitely not a 10-8, I had Thompson winning it until the last minute. It was actually his best round until woodley finally decided to start fighting.

Either way it was a complete shit show. Awful night for the UFC. Contrast that to boxing putting two undefeated fighters on broadcast TV in Thurman/Garcia putting on a pretty good fight.

Poor overall show, the title fight was as close to terrible as it gets. I am not sure if Woodley won it or not, one thing is certain, he won 2 rounds. Thompson maybe won 3, but it is hard to really say because they were pretty close. Based on the scoring, 2 judges had Thompson with 47, which means they think he lost one of those 3. I really do not care though, the thing i do not want to see is a Woodley vs Thompson 3, so i am happy the last judge gave it to Woodley or we would of had another draw.

I had Woodley winning the round where he pulled off a takedown and the final round.

Rounds 1,2,4 were Wonderboys despite the shite - Wonderboy clearly controlled the action in those rounds and did more damage, no idea how either of those rounds could go to Woodley.

I had it either 48-47 to Wonderboy or 47-47 (with round one being utterly diabolical).

If we judge the fight on an overall basis however, then Woodley edges it so it's not a huge upset.

• Upvote 2

The title fight was very close indeed. I am dissapointed in Wonderboy though because he just did not do enough, very standoffish and fearing the power of Woodley. That explains his lack of action. In the 5th round we see why he was so standoffish, because of course Woodley always has the power to get to his chin.

We can't really say that anything Thompson did was putting a beating on Woodley, he was just chasing him around the cage all night but we can definitely say Woodley put more of a beating on Thompson.

Wonderboy would have won if he put some heat on the champ but that's just how it goes when you do not definitively beat the champ. This is how the judges score it in Championship bouts, favours the champ unless you can say without a doubt that you beat him and when in doubt they favour the champ. Just like GSP's last fight that he "should have lost".

The title fight was very close indeed. I am dissapointed in Wonderboy though because he just did not do enough, very standoffish and fearing the power of Woodley. That explains his lack of action. In the 5th round we see why he was so standoffish, because of course Woodley always has the power to get to his chin.

We can't really say that anything Thompson did was putting a beating on Woodley, he was just chasing him around the cage all night but we can definitely say Woodley put more of a beating on Thompson.

Wonderboy would have won if he put some heat on the champ but that's just how it goes when you do not definitively beat the champ. This is how the judges score it in Championship bouts, favours the champ unless you can say without a doubt that you beat him and when in doubt they favour the champ. Just like GSP's last fight that he "should have lost".

I would say I'm more disappointed in Woodley and he deserves a little more of the blame for that awful fight. Wonderboy didn't do a whole lot I agree but outside of one takedown and one blitz at the very end of the fifth round woodley literally did nothing for the entire fight. Wonderboy was trying to pull something out of him and counter but woodley was content to throw as close to zero shots a round as possible. Wonderboy wins basically for being the aggressor which is a weird way to win. It's hard to say it was a robbery or an awful decision though since both fighters were complete shit.

If we judge the fight on an overall basis however, then Woodley edges it so it's not a huge upset.

I think the same, even if you was going to give Thompson rounds 1,2 and 4, Woodley was clearly better in the 2 he did win. He also was close to the stoppage in round 5. I think a 48-48 would also be fair considering that #5 ended with Woodley almost getting the stoppage. I personally think that if Woodley would push more, he probably could of finished this.

I would say I'm more disappointed in Woodley and he deserves a little more of the blame for that awful fight. Wonderboy didn't do a whole lot I agree but outside of one takedown and one blitz at the very end of the fifth round woodley literally did nothing for the entire fight. Wonderboy was trying to pull something out of him and counter but woodley was content to throw as close to zero shots a round as possible. Wonderboy wins basically for being the aggressor which is a weird way to win. It's hard to say it was a robbery or an awful decision though since both fighters were complete shit.

Wonderboy fights a lot like Lyoto Machida - classic karate point style. But it is so standoffish and relies heavily on countering the opponent most of the time, I don't see why he couldn't have done more to hurt his opponent. When you don't hurt your opponent then you run the risk of them hurting you. He got what he deserves.

Would love to see how Woodley could do against GSP if that ever happens.

Wonderboy fights a lot like Lyoto Machida - classic karate point style. But it is so standoffish and relies heavily on countering the opponent most of the time, I don't see why he couldn't have done more to hurt his opponent. When you don't hurt your opponent then you run the risk of them hurting you. He got what he deserves.

Would love to see how Woodley could do against GSP if that ever happens.

Agreed, wonderboy should have done more but it takes two to tango and woodley has a style where he fights in blitzes because he doesn't use very much energy and they're very effective due to his power and explosiveness. And since he's become less and less of a wrestler he's more prone to do less especially with a guy like wonderboy. It was a really bad style matchup and neither guy was willing to engage at all. I think we can all agree that worst case scenario was another draw, a third fight would be a really tough sell at this point.

Agreed, wonderboy should have done more but it takes two to tango and woodley has a style where he fights in blitzes because he doesn't use very much energy and they're very effective due to his power and explosiveness. And since he's become less and less of a wrestler he's more prone to do less especially with a guy like wonderboy. It was a really bad style matchup and neither guy was willing to engage at all. I think we can all agree that worst case scenario was another draw, a third fight would be a really tough sell at this point.

Wonderboy was more dangerous in their first fight and you could see Woodley more afraid of him but this time around he trained to block the head kicks and clearly drilled a lot in kick defense so he was able to neutralise most of the Thompson attack. Both fighters could have done with letting their hands go for a more decisive victory. I don't know why Woodley didn't at least try any leg kicks with what he was able to do to Condit, I suppose since he was against a southpaw with the stances lining up the way they do and how good Thompson would have been at defending the leg kicks. That would have been predictable maybe.

We wish Woodley good luck in defending his title, leave it at that for now.

I've no doubt Wonderboy will challenge again for the title one day. Hopefully next time it is against a different fighter.