UFC 208 Holm vs de Randamie Pick'em Thread

kenlow73

Evidently Willis was declared Medically Unfit and they've pulled the Tybura/Willis Fight and McCall/Brooks is off because Uncle Creepy got sent to the hospital with gastrointestinal issues.

I didn't think I could dislike someone as much as Ronda but de Randemie is doing her best to get there. 3 shots after the bell and talking about how Holly didn't want to fight, fuck I hope they feed her to Cyborg next. You want a brawl you're gonna get a brawl.

Holly should have won but because of that idiot ref she's lost 3 in a row now instead of being a 2 division world champ.

If there are decent judges who understand mma, Holm loses 50-45. Take your 2 points away and GDR still dominates that fight. Wasnt even close imo.

That's completely ludicrous judging then, how the hell does Holly not even get one round in your scoring? I gave her 3 rounds which even without the point deduction she should have won but it was a very close fight. Saying it wasn't is completely asinine to me.

• Upvote 1

I didn't give holm a single round. Her offense consisted of one head kick and pushing gdr against the fence. She was eating clean hard shots all night. That two punch followed by a leg kick combo was pathetic. She landed a couple of kicks on that with the toes, but mostly she was flailing and missing. I don't think the fight was close, I think people might have been caught up by rogans pro holm commentary. It was funny to hear Cormier walk Joe back at the end of the fight.

• Upvote 1

That's completely ludicrous judging then, how the hell does Holly not even get one round in your scoring? I gave her 3 rounds which even without the point deduction she should have won but it was a very close fight. Saying it wasn't is completely asinine to me.

How the hell do you give Holm 3 rounds. The only round she clearly won was the 5th. I've seen people arguing the 3th and 4th, but GDR landed more damage in both rounds.

How the hell do you give Holm 3 rounds. The only round she clearly won was the 5th. I've seen people arguing the 3th and 4th, but GDR landed more damage in both rounds.

If you want to talk about damage didn't holm rock de randomie in both those rounds. Holm landed about as much a de randamie in every round but in those two she landed the hardest shots of the fight not accounting the cheap shot of course

I didn't give holm a single round. Her offense consisted of one head kick and pushing gdr against the fence. She was eating clean hard shots all night. That two punch followed by a leg kick combo was pathetic. She landed a couple of kicks on that with the toes, but mostly she was flailing and missing. I don't think the fight was close, I think people might have been caught up by rogans pro holm commentary. It was funny to hear Cormier walk Joe back at the end of the fight.

I never put much weight into the commentary but Rogan never seemed pro holm to me at all. He always pointed out how her kicks didn't have much power behind them where as Cormier kept complimenting that "pathetic" two punch kick combo you spoke of. The only time I felt Rogan sided with holm was after the cheap shots. Commentary can be very biased especially with Rogan but this wasn't an example of that at all

If you want to talk about damage didn't holm rock de randomie in both those rounds. Holm landed about as much a de randamie in every round but in those two she landed the hardest shots of the fight not accounting the cheap shot of course

I felt the hard counterstrikes in the 3th counted for more cumulative damage than the one headkick. Holm basically landed one good headkick and a few weak legkicks, while GDR landed multiple hard headstrikes.

But what round apart from those two did you give her, may I ask?

The Holm fight was close, first 2 was De Randemie for sure, 5th was Holm, the other 2 were a toss up. Personally i would give it to De Randemie though because her strikes were more significant overall and Holm was doing a lot of cage pushing without doing anything of note. 48-47 was about right, but if they gave that to Holm, i would not be surprised.

What was a joke though is the Silva judging. I know they wanted to give Silva a win to make him significant again, but here are the facts:

Per round (Significant strikes)
RD1 8 of 20 - 40% 20 of 36 - 55%
RD2 10 of 19 - 52% 9 of 21 - 42%
RD3 25 of 39 - 64% 25 of 44 - 56%
Silva
RD1 20 of 36 - 55%
RD2 9 of 21 - 42%
RD3 25 of 44 - 56%
Brunson
Bronson also landed 2 takedowns, one in the 1st and 1 in the 3rd and he also had much more volume. He beat Silva in total strikes landed: 118 to Silva's 54. So Bronson had landed more, had more takedowns and had more significant strikes. The most you could give Silva in this fight was maybe the 2nd and even then it would be out of respect. One judge gave Silva a 30 to 27!!!! How on earth can you give him a 30 to 27? You telling me Silva won every round? Even worse is that every single judge had Silva winning this. Bullshit. Brunson was not great, but at least he did enough to win this fight, i think a 29-28 would be about right.
UFC is the new WWE, they are giving fighters wins based on preference, not performance. If Jacare does not get a title shot next, he will be easily the best fighter in UFC history to never get a title shot. Too bad his name is not Lesnar or CM Punk, he would probably hold onto 3 belts by now.

I'm sorry Mentor, but no way rd 4 is a toss up, not under the current scoring system. GDR landed both more strikes, and the harder strikes in that round. The time Holm spent controling her against the cage means nothing.

Silva was just a weird fight. I scored it 10-9 Brunson, 10-9 Silva, 10-10 personally, but I think I could do with a rewatch on it to be sure.

As i said, GDR most likely did win fairly and the pushing on the cage does still count for something if the rest was close. As for the Silva fight, based on the stats, it was in favor for Brunson. Based on the old scoring, it was clearly for Brunson, just based upon the takedown's alone, but when you land over double the strikes, you would expect him to win, even based upon today's scoring. Personally i think the fight was closer than the stats would mention, one thing is certain, Silva did not do enough to deserve a win.

As i said, GDR most likely did win fairly and the pushing on the cage does still count for something if the rest was close. As for the Silva fight, based on the stats, it was in favor for Brunson. Based on the old scoring, it was clearly for Brunson, just based upon the takedown's alone, but when you land over double the strikes, you would expect him to win, even based upon today's scoring. Personally i think the fight was closer than the stats would mention, one thing is certain, Silva did not do enough to deserve a win.

Even when holm pushed gdr against the fence gdr was landing good knees periodically while holm just pushed. I think gdr won the first four rounds rather decisively. If someone wants to make a argument that holm won the 5th when gdr gassed then fine, at best it was 4-1 gdr. Im still giving all 5 to gdr. She was the more effective fighter, landed the harder cleaner shots in every round.

I agree on the Silva fight. Brunson should have gotten the nod there.

I'm sorry Mentor, but no way rd 4 is a toss up, not under the current scoring system. GDR landed both more strikes, and the harder strikes in that round. The time Holm spent controling her against the cage means nothing.

Silva was just a weird fight. I scored it 10-9 Brunson, 10-9 Silva, 10-10 personally, but I think I could do with a rewatch on it to be sure.

Control does mean something, its not huge points and she didn't do much damage if at all but you can't just say that means nothing. She was controlling her opponent for a large part of the fight, that doesn't necessarily sway the fight in Holm's favor but it does make it closer. If you want to throw nearly 10 minutes of control away then yeah De randamies case is much stronger but I can't do that.

Control does mean something, its not huge points and she didn't do much damage if at all but you can't just say that means nothing. She was controlling her opponent for a large part of the fight, that doesn't necessarily sway the fight in Holm's favor but it does make it closer. If you want to throw nearly 10 minutes of control away then yeah De randamies case is much stronger but I can't do that.

Go read the rule changes from the beginning of this year. Control and aggression only counts anymore if the damage is equal

Go read the rule changes from the beginning of this year. Control and aggression only counts anymore if the damage is equal

Tbh I wasn't aware of the rule changes but I always scored them my own way anyway lol. If that is true then I would say that's dumb because that is a part of the fight and it doesn't seem right to completely discount it.

Tbh I wasn't aware of the rule changes but I always scored them my own way anyway lol. If that is true then I would say that's dumb because that is a part of the fight and it doesn't seem right to completely discount it.

The rules have been changed so you need to be actively look to finish a fight. You can't Fitch your way through a fight anymore. It's also why lately fighters have been winning rounds of their back more (Magny v Hendricks, the case could be made for the 3th round of Brunson vs Silva)