NFL 2017 Discussion

JLP

I'm firmly on the side of the players not being forced to do anything during the anthem, but the "do you stand at home?" argument is childish. Being present at an event entails a different set of standards of behavior compared to sitting at home, to bring that up at this point is just further obscuring the issues at hand. When you are sitting on the couch you are not the public face of a billion dollar organization.

I do enjoy how this is spiraling out of control for the NFL. There has never been an organization that panders to the military, firemen, LEO, and corny nationalism in general like the post 911 NFL. Now that they did a 180 and disrespected all the values they once went so far over the top to promote, things are going to get very sticky for them. I was kind of shocked they didnt see this coming back when Kapernick started it and were dumb enough to let all of the protesting get so far out of control and had the media actually go so far as to promote it nonstop.

It's a massive misread of their fan base. I don't think it will hurt them too much financially, if they were to back down a bit and try to deescalate the situation before next weekend. It looked today like that is not the plan though, NFL today on ESPN had two former players rail against trump for the first twenty minutes I watched before I turned it off. One of the two implied if you thought the protest was disrespectful to the nation or veterans then you are a racist.

I don't see how it can be racist not everybody doing it was black.

It's a massive misread of their fan base. I don't think it will hurt them too much financially, if they were to back down a bit and try to deescalate the situation before next weekend. It looked today like that is not the plan though, NFL today on ESPN had two former players rail against trump for the first twenty minutes I watched before I turned it off. One of the two implied if you thought the protest was disrespectful to the nation or veterans then you are a racist.

Unfortunately it's slowly turning into a race thing. A majority of their outspoken fan base just happens to be middle and upper class white people, while a majority of their "employees" are from low income black families. Being from the west coast, I feel like we have different views then the much of the mid-west and east coast. Not saying everyone, but a good amount. People need to understand that the protest isn't against the flag and the troops, but a protest of equality. It's not "a smack in the face of the troops" because that's exactly what they fought for, the right to freely speak your mind and make your own choices. This is basically becoming a "well I think this and if you don't agree you're wrong".

Seeing my facebook feed blow up with both sides of the argument has irritated me more then anything and sadly it has shown me just how racially divided it is.

Howie Long has probably said it best so far

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately it's slowly turning into a race thing. A majority of their outspoken fan base just happens to be middle and upper class white people, while a majority of their "employees" are from low income black families. Being from the west coast, I feel like we have different views then the much of the mid-west and east coast. Not saying everyone, but a good amount. People need to understand that the protest isn't against the flag and the troops, but a protest of equality. It's not "a smack in the face of the troops" because that's exactly what they fought for, the right to freely speak your mind and make your own choices. This is basically becoming a "well I think this and if you don't agree you're wrong".

Seeing my facebook feed blow up with both sides of the argument has irritated me more then anything and sadly it has shown me just how racially divided it is.

Howie Long has probably said it best so far

People need to understand that you can't dictate how other people are going to interpret your actions. You can say the protest isnt about disrespecting the flag, or the troops or whatever until you are blue in the face, but it doesnt make a difference how its interpreted by people who are offended by those actions. They find those actions offensive no matter the cause.

I would recommend Trump to shut down NFL for good.

He doesnt have any power to do that and it's probably better for him to have this situation fester longer anyway. He could hit the NFL in the pocketbook by removing their "non-profit organization" status, which is a joke anyway. He could also get involved in the stadium subsidies. I dont know how much of that is ironclad agreement, but it is ridiculous that the NFL gets millions of dollars in tax payer subsidies.

He doesnt have any power to do that and it's probably better for him to have this situation fester longer anyway. He could hit the NFL in the pocketbook by removing their "non-profit organization" status, which is a joke anyway. He could also get involved in the stadium subsidies. I dont know how much of that is ironclad agreement, but it is ridiculous that the NFL gets millions of dollars in tax payer subsidies.

Well even if you gave me -1 I see we did agree on something here. I am not saying he can or should shut it down but he need to put end of the stuff what is going on there right now. We all understand its a big anti Trump masquerade and we also understand stuff like that just make things ever worse.

I dont know much about NFL to be fair but if its true what you have said I would be all for it.

People need to understand that you can't dictate how other people are going to interpret your actions. You can say the protest isnt about disrespecting the flag, or the troops or whatever until you are blue in the face, but it doesnt make a difference how its interpreted by people who are offended by those actions. They find those actions offensive no matter the cause.

Sadly that is the case. This whole thing isn't going to end well, but we'll just have to let it play out.

I'm sure there is something he could do and I'm sure he'll do it just to prove a point. I feel like this stems from him not being allowed to buy a team some number of years ago and he played the waiting game just to bite the NFL in the ass. Then again, this is all based on my assumption that he tried to purchase a team.

Sadly that is the case. This whole thing isn't going to end well, but we'll just have to let it play out.

I'm sure there is something he could do and I'm sure he'll do it just to prove a point. I feel like this stems from him not being allowed to buy a team some number of years ago and he played the waiting game just to bite the NFL in the ass. Then again, this is all based on my assumption that he tried to purchase a team.

I doubt he even cares about whether or not there is a protest. He just saw it as an opportunity to rally his base and took it. The backlash to his tweet was predictable as was the backlash to the backlash. He knew, because of past polls, that the majority of the population would take his side and placed himself as the anti protest leader. It was actually a pretty shrewd political maneuver because it gained him some political capital and took focus off the many other issues he won't want as much scrutiny on.

I love the game ,not the players therefore i won't pay money to watch them. I won't buy a jersey, I won't buy a ticket, and I damn sure won't pay for there NFL package.Unless it's a free stream or someone is forcing me to watch. Honestly it's been two years since I watched a game, you could consider me a hypocrite though I guess cause I do have a couple Fantasy Football teams and I always keep a eye on the stat lines, that ain't why I have Internet though so I'm not contributing to these overpaid jackasses bank accounts. The vets that defend that flag who get paid shit are the ones who should be protesting.

Just my story, love it or hate it.

Trump has already violated the US Code by his Tweets against the NFL. He as a Government Employee can't tell a private business (The NFL) to do anything, it goes against 18 U.S. Code § 227 of The United States Code.

Trump has already violated the US Code by his Tweets against the NFL. He as a Government Employee can't tell a private business (The NFL) to do anything, it goes against 18 U.S. Code § 227 of The United States Code.

There's a difference between holding an elected office and being a government employee Big Ken.

There's a difference between holding an elected office and being a government employee Big Ken.

Should say Official not employee.

Should say Official not employee.

Yeah, you are right. But the original post is still wrong.

Like in many statutes, however, qualifying language substantially limits the applicability of 18 U.S. Code Sec. 227. In order for it to apply, Trump must make his statements “with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation” (emphasis added).

It seems like a stretch to argue that Trump’s directive to league officials and owners reflects his “intent to influence solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/24/donald-trump-nfl-comments-fire-players-protests

So if he had said "fire all the democrat kneelers" or "suspend all the liberal kneelers" there might be a glimmer of hope. Even then, that wouldnt have happened

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, you are right. But the original post is still wrong.

Like in many statutes, however, qualifying language substantially limits the applicability of 18 U.S. Code Sec. 227. In order for it to apply, Trump must make his statements “with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation” (emphasis added).

It seems like a stretch to argue that Trump’s directive to league officials and owners reflects his “intent to influence solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/24/donald-trump-nfl-comments-fire-players-protests

So if he had said "fire all the democrat kneelers" or "suspend all the liberal kneelers" there might be a glimmer of hope. Even then, that wouldnt have happened

So, he can call the son of bitches and it's Ok?

Anyway, back to football.....................so when does Chicago finally give Trubisky the green light???

After the bye week is my best guess. If they arent going to pull a guy after a three and a four turnover games, then they arent concerned with performance. Despite pretty good protection Glennon plays scared, he's awful. I couldn't believe my ears when Romo was praising him the entire game.

After the bye week is my best guess. If they arent going to pull a guy after a three and a four turnover games, then they arent concerned with performance. Despite pretty good protection Glennon plays scared, he's awful. I couldn't believe my ears when Romo was praising him the entire game.

Well I mean Romo was on some bad teams. I'm guessing he knows what it's like to be playing scared.

The Bucs are in trouble when Kwon Alexander is off the field. I don't think people realize how dependent our def is on the guy. Kwon's a monster and the Bucs look like a totally different defense on the field because of him and ability to fly all over the field.

I'll be honest, unless it's a shootout and the Bucs put up 40 points, I'd be surprised if we beat the Giants. I just can't foresee a scheme or coaching that can compensate for the lack of talent on our defense. We can't afford to lose Kwon and LeVonte. Yet alone Brent Grimes.

I wish Tampa would of traded up to snag Jalen Ramsey instead of Vernon Hargreaves. Same thing with Dalvin Cook this year. Hargreaves has the attitude to make a great nickleback, but he's burnt toast anywhere else on the field. Never settle for a Gator when you need a Nole.

Granted Jameis has made the occasional good throws, but he's got a ton of room for improvement and work to do. I feel like this is one of his worst games throwing the ball in his career. No excuses like before about lack of weapons and Mike getting double teamed all the time, he's just not throwing a good ball at all.

Biggest surprise team so far has to be Jacksonville right??? I'm sure most of us thought Fournette would be good, but they are actually starting to figure things out.

I'd go with Detroit. They could easily be unbeaten if not for the run-off at the end of last weeks game.

Rams and Goff have been much improved too. That's a fun team to watch play.