The 2017/2018 Football (Soccer) Thread

Bwang

I doubt he will be "better than Lukaku for sure" but he is clearly being buried in Chelsea. Some people also forget that Chelsea also did not rate Salah, De Bruine, Lukaku, Mata. I do not understand how you can have so much talent and piss it away and Batshuayi was shoved so far down the pecking order, he did not get any time to play.

Was he sold or loaned out?

Age isn’t only a problem physically but also mentally, he will soon lose the hunger for improving if he already hasnt.

i don't think Giroud has been getting better for a long time mate, and i'm sure Chelsea did not buy a 31 year old with the idea that he will keep improving...

Sheringham played top level football until his late 30's because his game was not based on his pace, it was more his quick thinking.

its too early to say batshuyi can be better than lukaku.Lukaku has scored so much more than Batsy so far.Lukaku is first choice for Belgium and is their top scorer as well.

We dont know if Lukaku can really cut it at Utd but at least he must be given his first season to totally settle down.

If Batsy can be a real success at BvB and become first choice there then we can talk about a comparison to Lukaku.

i hope Spurs beat arsenal and get them out of top 4 race once and for all.

i don't think Giroud has been getting better for a long time mate, and i'm sure Chelsea did not buy a 31 year old with the idea that he will keep improving...

Sheringham played top level football until his late 30's because his game was not based on his pace, it was more his quick thinking.

I know Chelsea didnt buy Giroud because they believe he can improve, what Im saying is he doesnt really have the hunger anymore to train more than needed to constantly improve himself. Real football isnt like football manager game, the reason why peoples skills (not including physicals) fall off is not because they are getting worse its because they dont have the hunger to keep improving so they stagnate while the younger guys that are hungry improve themselves and eventually get better.

I think football has changed since Teddy's days, it has gotten even faster now and more physical, in particular the EPL. I think we wont be seeing many late 30s attackers any more, in fact we rarely see anyone 35y old playing in attack that is effective, i could be mistaken though, nobody comes to mind. I think Kane could be that type of player eventually because he has size, strength and his main attributes are his mentality. He could even drop behind the main striker eventually, he has good creativity and is willing to press, so he could play in an AM role.

Be intresting in the summer if Real Madrid start circling around Kane. I know Spurs have said they wont sell him but Real have had a poor season by their standards & id imagine some big moves will be made by them over the summer

The only way Kane will even consider something like that is if Spurs miss out on CL football, but i have a feeling that wont be happening, our players are all back from injury and we just hit a good run of form. Next year we are moving into the new stadium and if Kane can stay injury free, i think next year he could realistically be a candidate for best player on the globe, with Ronaldo already getting old and Messi going to be 30y, it could be his chance. A potential change in environment could ruin that.

To be totally honest, if Spurs pay him what he is worth (and they can afford it, we are just stingy fuckers), then why move? He is playing for his boyhood club, he is on course to break the EPL scoring record and many people say he is a Shearer type. Spurs simply need to win some trophies (even a cup will do for now) and he should be settled. If he gets his money he should stay put, at least for this summer.

• Upvote 1

The only way Kane will even consider something like that is if Spurs miss out on CL football, but i have a feeling that wont be happening, our players are all back from injury and we just hit a good run of form. Next year we are moving into the new stadium and if Kane can stay injury free, i think next year he could realistically be a candidate for best player on the globe, with Ronaldo already getting old and Messi going to be 30y, it could be his chance. A potential change in environment could ruin that.

To be totally honest, if Spurs pay him what he is worth (and they can afford it, we are just stingy fuckers), then why move? He is playing for his boyhood club, he is on course to break the EPL scoring record and many people say he is a Shearer type. Spurs simply need to win some trophies (even a cup will do for now) and he should be settled. If he gets his money he should stay put, at least for this summer.

Not sure this means much these days tbh. Could Spurs pay him 400/500k p/w? Money talks these days & it wouldnt suprise me if Real made him their number 1 target & lets be honest they normally get their man eventually. I just sense big moves by them this summer & Kane would be a great fit for them

500k per week? Nobody in Real makes 500k per week, apparently Ronaldo is on 365k. I think Spurs can probably pay 200k no problem if they wanted to, maybe even a bit more than that, the main problem is that when you pay Kane 250k, it means Erickson will want 200k and so on, now that is an issue. The thing is, Spurs will likely be able to compete with a lot of the top dogs very soon. Here are the stats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

Apparently we are 11th in the world in revenue at 377m$, United is on 850m, but Barca and Real are under 700m. So in theory we can pay our players around 50% what they can, although you can simply have a smaller squad and pay those guys around the same or have a few top stars on higher levels. There is also one other thing, Spurs move into the new stadium soon, that will double the gate receipts revenue (which is around 30%) to double what WHL was giving us, plus we will also have the NHL deal worth 20m per year. If we can keep getting CL football, it means our overall revenue will shoot to around 550m in the next 2-3 years, besides that, the EPL is about to get that increase in TV revenue soon that will also push EPL teams even further ahead, so the difference between a team like Spurs or Real will be much smaller than it is now. Does Kane want to be part of the past or the future? He is on a fantastic run now, so if he can get that raise to 200k or higher, then i think he will stay. 2-3 years down the road, he will be on top 15 players per world type wages.

500k per week? Nobody in Real makes 500k per week, apparently Ronaldo is on 365k. I think Spurs can probably pay 200k no problem if they wanted to, maybe even a bit more than that, the main problem is that when you pay Kane 250k, it means Erickson will want 200k and so on, now that is an issue. The thing is, Spurs will likely be able to compete with a lot of the top dogs very soon. Here are the stats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

Apparently we are 11th in the world in revenue at 377m$, United is on 850m, but Barca and Real are under 700m. So in theory we can pay our players around 50% what they can, although you can simply have a smaller squad and pay those guys around the same or have a few top stars on higher levels. There is also one other thing, Spurs move into the new stadium soon, that will double the gate receipts revenue (which is around 30%) to double what WHL was giving us, plus we will also have the NHL deal worth 20m per year. If we can keep getting CL football, it means our overall revenue will shoot to around 550m in the next 2-3 years, besides that, the EPL is about to get that increase in TV revenue soon that will also push EPL teams even further ahead, so the difference between a team like Spurs or Real will be much smaller than it is now. Does Kane want to be part of the past or the future? He is on a fantastic run now, so if he can get that raise to 200k or higher, then i think he will stay. 2-3 years down the road, he will be on top 15 players per world type wages.

356K after tax is ronaldos wage. Kane on 200k in todays market nah im not too sure the last 2 tranfer windows put pay to that(im shocked Lukaku is on 200k)

Tottenham right now or in 3 years will never be able to compete with Real in the tranfer market * Real will never be "in the past" anytime soon as a football club & i dont care what the premiere league gets in money.

Money talks everytime it dosent matter if its your boyhood club & yes players can say oh im at my boyhood club im happy but once a giant comes calling its a different matter.

I think spurs can become a huge club but not in the next 5 years so that alone will be a stumbling block for the like of Kane & ALLI who again i believe could play for any team in the world

The trend is towards the EPL, eventually nobody will really want to play outside the EPL, it will be football's NBA. Sure this probably won't happen over night but it is already happening. How many relegation battlers in any other league in the world can afford a 25m player? As for Real, sure they can pay more than Spurs, but i think Kane won't be going anywhere if Spurs are competing/winning things. He is basically the modern Shearer.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Great draw for Liverpool in the Champs League semis - Roma! A perfectionist would have wanted the second leg at home as opposed to the first but I'm happy just to avoid the big names for now.

Arsenal got unlucky with Athletico.. But if they go through its Salzburg or Marseille in the final so that should be very doable.

Liverpool were very lucky, i think they will beat Roma and in a one game final anything is possible. The favorites are out anyway, Real was pool in the group stages, Spurs gave them a good beating and Bayern were routed by PSG. I think the favorites were probably City, PSG, Barca and they are all out of the competition. Put it this way, if you would of betted on Roma / Liverpool in the semi finals, it should of paid well.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on some very "Spursy" form as of late, lost to Juve in the CL even though we played better, lost to City, lost to United in the FA cup semi finals even though we were 1-0, the Chelsea game is what saved us from total catastrophe but with just 4 games left we are looking very wobbly. The good news is that those 4 games are all relatively easy ones and we do have a 5 point advantage over Chelsea, so hopefully we can grind out a top 4 at least.