Are "Standups" different from "Escapes"?

So you don't need the escape skill to standup from top position, as I interpret it. Is this correct?

Very good question, but I don't think that's the case.

If you're a BJJ guy who wants to pull guard, you have the option to not allow your opponent to stand up even if he's on top. They need a skill to do it, and Escapes is probably it. Still would be nice to know exactly what's what.

this might be good for the game which is geared towards stand up already, but it's kinda weird. I have never seen someone have trouble standing up from top position in real fights.

If you're engaged on the ground and in your opponents guard, not standing over your opponent, it's not easy to just stand up. Not hard to transition into a body triangle to keep your opponent from standing.

this might be good for the game which is geared towards stand up already, but it's kinda weird. I have never seen someone have trouble standing up from top position in real fights.

Yes, it might be good for diversity if a legitimate strategy was to sweep then standup. If standup didn't use the escape skill as much. Of course it would be less effective, but still a legitimate strategy in using less points. In real life, standing up is very easy from top position, unless you're in someone's guard.

If you're engaged on the ground and in your opponents guard, not standing over your opponent, it's not easy to just stand up. Not hard to transition into a body triangle to keep your opponent from standing.

but any half decent fighter will be able to create enough space and get up if he wants. even Mark Hunt was able to throw some ground and pound on Werdum then stand up when he felt like. anyway, this is a non issue in the game.