New Weight Classes in MMA

kenlow73

I see why it makes sense to have those divisions instead of the huge gaps we have in between but I think that it might be bad in the sense that it would hurt most of those divisions. Instead of having stacked divisions like LW, WW, or MW those divisions would be depleted and we might get a few more situations like with Mighty mouse, a dominant champion with little to no competition in his own weight class. Not to mention LHW and HW would be even more bone dry than they are now as a lot of guys would go to 225 or 195. There just isn't enough really good guys imo to fill up all these extra divisions. Same with the women's 4 divisions.

I see why it makes sense to have those divisions instead of the huge gaps we have in between but I think that it might be bad in the sense that it would hurt most of those divisions. Instead of having stacked divisions like LW, WW, or MW those divisions would be depleted and we might get a few more situations like with Mighty mouse, a dominant champion with little to no competition in his own weight class. Not to mention LHW and HW would be even more bone dry than they are now as a lot of guys would go to 225 or 195. There just isn't enough really good guys imo to fill up all these extra divisions. Same with the women's 4 divisions.

I think it's more of them looking at trying to kill cutting weight so much. The 225 would make the most sense because you either get a guy trying to cut weight to make LW or fighting some over 40 pounds more then them at HW.

This might clear out some divisions if they apply this to the UFC. It could solve a lot of health problems some fighters are having with cutting weight. I don't really like the idea initially here but that's because I'm a bloodhtirsty fan looking to see highly competitive fights.

I hate the more divisions in general because it means less competition in each division. Also If they are going to do what they mentioned, then they should basically scrap the 170lbs division because they cannot have 165, 170 and 175 (technically they can, but it will be dumb). In the end we will have what we have in Boxing where a fighter ends up being a 3,4 or 5 division champ because there is nobody worthwile for them to fight in their own division, or we could end up with more "Mighty mouse" type champs due to the divisions all getting much thinner. The only division that makes sense is the 225, due to the gap between 205 and 265, but that will mean we have an even thiner division at 265 and 205.

Also, this does not mean we solve the health issues related to cutting weight, fighters will still try to cut down to the lowest possible division, sure it could mean some fighters could prefer a weight class that is easier to cut down to, but overall it does not solve the issue.

One thing i would like to see is have 265lbs have no weight restrictions, we had cases in the past (like with Brock) where some guys could not cut down or struggled to cut down to the max weight for HW, but in general it is not a big deal, we only had 2-3 such cases in UFC history.

or Conor is going to win all those titles and never defend them.

will there be a midget weight class?

Yeah, it's called Flyweight.

He also said there would never be a woman's division

He can make a guy cut weight or fight in a different division. He couldn't make Ronda Rousey grow a penis and no i don't want to see that gif with her and dana

The more relevant counterpoint is that his best friends don't own the company anymore

The more relevant counterpoint is that his best friends don't own the company anymore.

His friends benefit from fewer divisions as well though because it means more stacked divisions and bigger potential fights, they do not benefit from having fighters like Mighty Mouse who dominate a division and have no competition. The fewer the divisions, the more options when booking.

Defusing the weight cutting problem would be easy. Just have the weigh-ins at a point in time when they would actually make the most sense: An hour or two before the fight. Done.

But since the promoters want to maintain that spectacle as something additional to market their fights and stir BS drama, this will not happen, unfortunately.

Nobody needs more weight divisions. If they want to do something about the weight cutting nonsense by way of re-designing the weight divisions, there would be only one viable route: To have no weight divisions at all.^^

Defusing the weight cutting problem would be easy. Just have the weigh-ins at a point in time when they would actually make the most sense: An hour or two before the fight. Done.

But since the promoters want to maintain that spectacle as something additional to market their fights and stir BS drama, this will not happen, unfortunately.

Nobody needs more weight divisions. If they want to do something about the weight cutting nonsense by way of re-designing the weight divisions, there would be only one viable route: To have no weight divisions at all.^^

They don't do that because fighters would still try to cut weight, leading to dehydrated fighters fighting in that cage, which leads to a way higher concussion and brain damage risk

They don't do that because fighters would still try to cut weight, leading to dehydrated fighters fighting in that cage, which leads to a way higher concussion and brain damage risk

I doubt it. Only if they are absoloutely clueless. Who would want to go into a fight and feel like complete garbage? It would be too blatant a thing of diminishing returns.

Don't forget that weight cutting as a tactic has taken shape around the weigh-ins being held seperately from the fights, not the other way around.

I doubt it. Only if they are absoloutely clueless. Who would want to go into a fight and feel like complete garbage? It would be too blatant a thing of diminishing returns.

Don't forget that weight cutting as a tactic has taken shape around the weigh-ins being held seperately from the fights, not the other way around.

Fighters are clueless. It has already been proven that excessive weightcutting is detrimental to the performance, yet a huge group still cuts too much weight. These guys do anything for a perceived advantage

Fighters are clueless. It has already been proven that excessive weightcutting is detrimental to the performance, yet a huge group still cuts too much weight. These guys do anything for a perceived advantage

If they had no time to get that weight back up before the fight (by virtue of the weigh-ins taking place an hour or so before the fight) there would be no advantage to speak of. Not even a perceived one.

Weight cutting is not about making weight. It is about being heavier once fight time roles around. The only reason why weight cutting is a thing is because they have enough time to get it back on between the weigh-ins and the fights. Take that away and weight cutting will quickly sort itself out. There would be no point to it.

• 4 weeks later...

If they had no time to get that weight back up before the fight (by virtue of the weigh-ins taking place an hour or so before the fight) there would be no advantage to speak of. Not even a perceived one.

Weight cutting is not about making weight. It is about being heavier once fight time roles around. The only reason why weight cutting is a thing is because they have enough time to get it back on between the weigh-ins and the fights. Take that away and weight cutting will quickly sort itself out. There would be no point to it.

Exactly, take it away and they fighters will have to either walk around much closer to their weight class or move to a different weight class.

• Upvote 1