Importance of Speed

scole

to be honest it takes two weeks to get all physical aspects up to past strong , although speed and agility are the hardest to improve so when creating a fighter give them speed and agility first , two weeks on physicals is a must , if you dont do this , your fighter may go 4-0 but then he will get matched up against better fighters , who will have all physicals maxed out , so its not worth debating about , train your fighter in physicals first , as you would do in real life

Do you mean just strength/cardio? Or do you mean do a ton of circuit training before working on any of your skills?

Do you mean just strength/cardio? Or do you mean do a ton of circuit training before working on any of your skills?

there's no need to train any physical skills other than cardio before working on any of your technical skills. you don't need to train strength before training technical skills, but most people do just to get it out of the way. the primary reason for this is probably because you can join a cheap gym (50 bucks a week or less) and train up your strength and cardio before joining a gym with coaches, since cardio and strength only need a clean gym and new equipment. no sense paying money for a gym with coaches if you're going to spend most of your time just using the weights.

From the Wiki

All physical attributes have an effect in some aspects of standing, clinchwork and groundwork. Not all attributes will affect all types of move. Below I have given one type of move which is particularly affected by each attribute.

But it still is all speculating about how it is in real life and what the gamedevelopers would implement. They say every physical attribute affects a aspect of ground, wrestling, striking but Mike has said that balance doesn't effect a sweep on the ground. So where does balance effect grappling? This is just one example of many others. And how far is text in the commentary "flavored"? What LeviAjones says is in contradiction to how the most people on this board think the engine of the game works.

Like in this thread, much uncertainty

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7737

But if ppl know exactly how the engine works to determine fights, then they will be able to come up with blueprints to take advantage of it. And we may start seeing a lot of figthers who are carbon copies of each other. This way helps prevent that imo.

The game would be a lot more fun imo. We could discuss which blueprint is the best trough logical discussion. But also setting the sliders to what bleuprint you choose, what stage he is in and who he is fighting and what you know about the manager your facing. Choosing what gym your gonna train in and setting up your trainginschedule and when to use what supplements is also very fun.

I like this idea better then how it now is, guessing what the gamedevelopers implemented from real life in the game which is practically impossible.

For instance, the solution to takedowns/sub spamming I think was sub par and a band aid on a larger problem. He upped energy loss for those 2 actions, which I guess works but many felt wasn't the best way to go. Many people spoke of diminishing returns if the same things was tried within a timeframe, which is more realistic, and will cure spamming across all areas in fights. Mike never got feedback on the energy loss idea before implementing it.
This never happened. He changed how energy use occurred during fights, but not specifically for sub and takedown spamming, for all actions.

Understanding the game engine would ruined the game's fun IMO. They would be one way to go and that would be the best. If we want to copy real life, there is thing in MMA that we don't understand (how Torres could have lost that fight). But it is part of the game. I believe the game engine is designed to represent what would be logical and not randomly. Therefore, we can understand part of it with our logic.

It's a game of back and fourth with the training and the sliders with some probability. The way it's created makes no sure way to go ;)

Most gyms are crap and supp use is a total no-brainer, so I vote we keep as much mystery to the engine as possible. It really is mainly common sense, the trick is just to have your own common sense coincide with Mike's.

Why are most gyms crap? You want perfect gyms? Isn't that what makes it interesting, to choose a good gym and make a good training program for your fighter with the limited options you have? Why is supp use a no brainer, you mean you can trust every product that says its 150+?

There is a lot of discussion about how the engine works and there isn't an answer for to much by using common sense imo.

Understanding the game engine would ruined the game's fun IMO. They would be one way to go and that would be the best. If we want to copy real life, there is thing in MMA that we don't understand (how Torres could have lost that fight). But it is part of the game. I believe the game engine is designed to represent what would be logical and not randomly. Therefore, we can understand part of it with our logic.

It's a game of back and fourth with the training and the sliders with some probability. The way it's created makes no sure way to go ;)

Their would still be a lot of ways to go I think, no way would it be picking a blueprint of a perfect fighter, a blueprint in managing, a blueprint in training, a blueprint in fighttactics for every sort of fighter.

IRL you know as a physical trainer what you train for and what it contributes to exactly as well as what supplements are good.

You can still keep mystery by putting a randomness in it.

For a game to have longlivity, it needs to have more than one option to become good. I get the impression that some people would like a guaranteed winning formula which would be dull.

How would it have only one option to be good? Your playing against other humans, so you allways need to outsmart your opponent, it's allways different every time. Knowing more about the engine won't change that.

How would it have only one option to be good? Your playing against other humans, so you allways need to outsmart your opponent, it's allways different every time. Knowing more about the engine won't change that.

it has happened in some ways organically. With the how to make a fighter thread and a lot of talk about project fighters, people have been trying to create their own. Ironically the one thing that the thread says not to do (make a bisping) has become far more successful at the lower levels as people without the money or patience have entered very one dimensional fighters that have lost as they are useless in other areas.

The problem with it being very clear that this is how the points system is favoured would mean that people reduce themselves to only one fight style. Or it would become like a game of paper, scissors and stone, where BJJ guy beats wrester, wrestler beats boxer etc etc. With a certain amount of confusion/not being stated even the most experienced managers can be surprised by the results (sometimes).

The more information you give out, the more you limit the benefits of self-discovery. If every knows a way to maximize a skill, everyone will do it and there will be no variability.

I think it will only shift the area's of importance and it will ======== managers to be more precise.

it has happened in some ways organically. With the how to make a fighter thread and a lot of talk about project fighters, people have been trying to create their own. Ironically the one thing that the thread says not to do (make a bisping) has become far more successful at the lower levels as people without the money or patience have entered very one dimensional fighters that have lost as they are useless in other areas.

That's only because they don't know how to set the sliders, you can never go really far wrong with a Bisping but you can also never be really succesfull with a Bisping. What's your point?

The problem with it being very clear that this is how the points system is favoured would mean that people reduce themselves to only one fight style. Or it would become like a game of paper, scissors and stone, where BJJ guy beats wrester, wrestler beats boxer etc etc. With a certain amount of confusion/not being stated even the most experienced managers can be surprised by the results (sometimes).

Your thinking the engine is not balanced, that a certain type of fighter will dominate. I understand your concern, though I think the engine is balanced. If it would turn out to be though there's still challenges in becoming a good manager, you could fight with a lvl 5 stone against a level 3 scissor, but do you think you can take on the lvl 7 paper?

Figuring out the game's systems on my own is about 90% of the fun in the game for me.

Besides, Mike could layout the exact details of every game mechanic in the wiki and half the people *still* wouldn't understand it. Honestly, just browse half a dozen of these threads and you will see that for most managers it is a lack of basic reading comprehension that is holding them back rather than a lack of available information.

There are a ton of well thought out threads with carefully tested scenarios. These give a lot of insights to the game. Use them, but be aware that even minor changes to the gameplay engine will throw most of this off over time anyway. There don't seem to be a lot of "killer" shortcuts to the game and even when one pops up from time to time it will likely end up being nerfed or rebalanced at some point.

-GW