I'm about to begin learning BJJ

skull

I'm going tonight to sign up for BJJ classes :thumbup: I dont have any formal training, only what I've taught myself over the years watching mma and other various videos and what not. I'm really excited to see how I will do and really look forward to learning as much as possible. battlegroundma.net is the website. Apparently some Gracies pop in from time to time too which would be fuckin awesome to meet any of them

• Upvote 2

I'm thinking of finding a BJJ class in a few months myself. Always been solid at it when just messing around. Submissions are surprisingly hard to finish though. I have no idea how people finish armbars. I'm good with leg locks all the same. We done a grappling class in he traditional martial art I do and I went for a RNC and got turned into full mount. I managed to get out of the mount and grab a leg at the same time and finish the sub. Was like "How come MMA fighters dont do that shit?" not thinking about how untrained the person I did it on was haha.

Good luck with it mate.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely love BJJ. The first thing you gotta overcome really is that even if you watch MMA all the time, there will still be basic stuff you need to learn

Even if you get manhandled by other members, just look at how they did it, and learn how to prevent or counter that. Best way of learning I found

It was a very addictive experience, I can say for sure that I will continue. Today was more less a free session to see if I would be interested or not. I will most definitely be back next week, Gotta buy the gi and pay the down payment, couldnt quite afford it this week...damn bills LOL I watched a few drills, the first was a slick single leg from a single collar tie, then he showed a guard pass from standing and a few side control control techniques. Then the instructor got me to sign a waiver and he showed me a few punch blocking techniques from a open handed jui jitsu stance, similar to how Royce's stance in early UFC's After that i sparred with a few different students on a side control to mount pass. We each took turns trying that out. Then we sparred with the person on bottom in side control trying to escape while the person in top position attempted to keep it there. I did really good keeping my partner on the bottom and did pretty good escaping. I was using strength a little more than i should and straight gassed out LOL He wasnt able to tap me but I did end up in some bad positions a few times. My biggest accomplishment in my eyes was after I could breath again we open sparred ( or whatever you call it) where ya basically just rolled and did what you could. I managed to get a RNC on on of the higher ranked white belts. He was about to take his blue belt test soon. It was a bit awkard, I was in guard top and went for a heal hook and he rolled somekind of way and didnt let go of my leg, so his legs were locked with mine in my similar to an STF and I grabbed his neck and got him to tap.

• Upvote 3

It was a very addictive experience, I can say for sure that I will continue. Today was more less a free session to see if I would be interested or not. I will most definitely be back next week, Gotta buy the gi and pay the down payment, couldnt quite afford it this week...damn bills LOL I watched a few drills, the first was a slick single leg from a single collar tie, then he showed a guard pass from standing and a few side control control techniques. Then the instructor got me to sign a waiver and he showed me a few punch blocking techniques from a open handed jui jitsu stance, similar to how Royce's stance in early UFC's After that i sparred with a few different students on a side control to mount pass. We each took turns trying that out. Then we sparred with the person on bottom in side control trying to escape while the person in top position attempted to keep it there. I did really good keeping my partner on the bottom and did pretty good escaping. I was using strength a little more than i should and straight gassed out LOL He wasnt able to tap me but I did end up in some bad positions a few times. My biggest accomplishment in my eyes was after I could breath again we open sparred ( or whatever you call it) where ya basically just rolled and did what you could. I managed to get a RNC on on of the higher ranked white belts. He was about to take his blue belt test soon. It was a bit awkard, I was in guard top and went for a heal hook and he rolled somekind of way and didnt let go of my leg, so his legs were locked with mine in my similar to an STF and I grabbed his neck and got him to tap.

Awesome stuff.... at the end... He must have been a wrestler... I dont care where you are standing or on the ground.. always keep your chin tucked =)

• Upvote 1

Haha STF eh? You're just lucky he didn't get you in a Mexican Surfboard.

Since jiu jitsu for sport doesn't allow strikes, I'd be a bit annoyed at learning punch blocks. Obviously being a little bit MMAey in there and if I'm taking a specific class, I don't want to imagine MMA even exists.

But free rolling on your first day sounds awesome. My class was moved for about 3 months to an MMA gym. They usually had the jiu jitsu class on when we were there and they never seemed to free roll, which must be annoying because you want to be able to put what you've learned over the last few classes into live practise.

Jiu jitsu has a HUGE advantage over other martial arts for practicality because you never know how you might react to a punch or how to get into the position to throw when the other guy is resisting. In jiu jitsu, probably with the exception of kneebars since they can tear straight away (Julliana Pena), you can put absolutely everything into full practise in a safe way.

You came in as a first day white belt, rolled for a heel hook on another white belt and didn't immediately get chewed out?

I wasnt told not to do it so I figured why not. I'm not retarded like Paul Harris LOL I aint gonna try to cripple anyone, plus I came came nowhere close to even grabbing hold of his heel. Also while watching the coach train with another student, he showed him a heel hook so its something they train. If it was a problem I'm sure someone would have said something. Only thing we were told was to try to avoid was kneeing or elbowing someone by mistake by being to abrupt with a pass or something. The instructor could clearly tell that I was educated to some degree in BJJ.

I wasnt told not to do it so I figured why not. I'm not retarded like Paul Harris LOL I aint gonna try to cripple anyone, plus I came came nowhere close to even grabbing hold of his heel. Also while watching the coach train with another student, he showed him a heel hook so its something they train. If it was a problem I'm sure someone would have said something. Only thing we were told was to try to avoid was kneeing or elbowing someone by mistake by being to abrupt with a pass or something. The instructor could clearly tell that I was educated to some degree in BJJ.

Well, the problem isn't so much training with heel hooks as having two people with relatively little mat experience using them. The problem with heel hooks isn't usually even the guy doing them as long as he's just playing catch and release. The problem is the guy getting caught with it spazzing out/rolling the wrong way/etc.

If you both managed to play nice with heel hooks then all the more power to the both of you.

I'm thinking of finding a BJJ class in a few months myself. Always been solid at it when just messing around. Submissions are surprisingly hard to finish though. I have no idea how people finish armbars. I'm good with leg locks all the same. We done a grappling class in he traditional martial art I do and I went for a RNC and got turned into full mount. I managed to get out of the mount and grab a leg at the same time and finish the sub. Was like "How come MMA fighters dont do that shit?" not thinking about how untrained the person I did it on was haha.

Good luck with it mate.

Point their thumb to the ceiling and squeeze your knees together. Don't cross your legs. I know Rousey does but she's an armbar freak.

1. That's not a good attitude to have, you weren't told not to do a Twister or any other spine lock. That doesn't mean you can do them.

2. Different belts have different rules. I'm a blue belt and I'm not allowed to use kneebars or bicep and calf slicers for example. White belts shouldn't be attacking the legs. It's dangerous because kneebars, heel hooks etc. can cause serious damage before you get chance to tap, whether you're not trying to cripple anyone or not. You can even seriously damage someone's knee just by reaping it (your leg wrapped around their leg and your foot is across the midline of your opponent's body), that's why not even black belts are allowed to do it. Straight footlock is allowed, anything else will get you DQed in competition and seriously frowned upon in training. It's just training, not Abu Dhabi.

Other than that, welcome to the brotherhood. (Y)

Point their thumb to the ceiling and squeeze your knees together. Don't cross your legs. I know Rousey does but she's an armbar freak.

1. That's not a good attitude to have, you weren't told not to do a Twister or any other spine lock. That doesn't mean you can do them.

2. Different belts have different rules. I'm a blue belt and I'm not allowed to use kneebars or bicep and calf slicers for example. White belts shouldn't be attacking the legs. It's dangerous because kneebars, heel hooks etc. can cause serious damage before you get chance to tap, whether you're not trying to cripple anyone or not. You can even seriously damage someone's knee just by reaping it (your leg wrapped around their leg and your foot is across the midline of your opponent's body), that's why not even black belts are allowed to do it. Straight footlock is allowed, anything else will get you DQed in competition and seriously frowned upon in training. It's just training, not Abu Dhabi.

Other than that, welcome to the brotherhood. (Y)

It was only my very first class so I'm sure I made plenty of mistakes. I'm going back monday to sign up offically and get my GI. I will go talk then about what I should and shouldn't do since I am very unfamiliar with what kind of moves are acceptable. The guy i trained with had me in a tight closed guard and I did a can opener to get out of it. It worked good but it looked like it caught him completly off guard so I'm not sure if i should be doing that either. Its just hard because I've watched so many different kinds of grappling techniques and kinda have some of them imprinted in my head as things that work but I dont know if are allowed in BJJ.

• Upvote 1

Also I'd just like to point out that the leg reaping rules in BJJ are fucking silly.

I didnt know what you meant so i looked it up. I agree, so as far as competitions i guess leg locks are pretty much useless for bjj. They look to be very strict with it,the vid i watch said its instant disqualification.

I didnt know what you meant so i looked it up. I agree, so as far as competitions i guess leg locks are pretty much useless for bjj. They look to be very strict with it,the vid i watch said its instant disqualification.

Not at all.