GSP = BORING!

I found this to be a great explanation for a lot of the complaints directed at him on this subject:

"I will tell you what Dustin wants, and I want, and anyone who complains about GSP wants. They want to be entertained and excited to see him fight. Everyone is misinterpreting what it means to call GSP boring. We are not saying he stinks. He is clearly one of the best in the world. We are saying his fights are predictable and dull. We watch fights to see Hominick goes balls out with a 2nd head forming. To see Machida and Spider front kick someone in the face. To see a flying triangle choke. To see Nate Diaz get slammed three times. As impressive as it is that GSP can determine his opponents weakness and safely exploit it to always win his fights in a safe, lopsided fashion. It is dull. Part of this sport is winning the crowd - being able to generate a fan base. And when the largest crowd in MMA begins to turn on GSP....IN CANADA, then he isn't doing something right."

• Upvote 2

What you guys are ignoring though is the fact that if GSP were in the exact same situation as Hominick was, he'd do the same damn thing, take Aldo down and not run the risk of Aldo pekcing away at you with stirkes until the doctor stopped it. GSP really has the same problem as Anderson Silva did with Maia and Sonnen, except they react to it differently. The problem? No competition. GSP just reacts smarter than Silva did to his opponents. If GSP was pushed, he'd take risks and try to finish fights to avoid having the fight go on longer.

I mean, if you were GSP, would you really chance being overly aggressive against Shields and then paying the price by getting taken down by one of the highest caliber grapplers in the sport of MMA? Would you really run that risk?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I concur.

I love GZzzP as a fighter, as a role model, his apparent humility and dedication, his style, his accent etc etc...

...but in the cage he does bore me.

EDIT: That sounds like Dana talking, is it?

i think he's a big phony. that accounts for most of my hatred towards him. phony then boring to top it all off

I enjoyed the Shields vs GSP fight ,

I honestly think Shields showed us a better stand up game ,but i was shocked he didn't try more takedowns .

Shields was cheating that whole fight. He should have had a point taken away early then been disqualified the 3rd, 4th, or 5th time he did it. I had respect for him thinking he was at least the one sane person in Ceasar Gracie's camp, but I was wrong and he is just a thug like the Diaz brothers. GSP was trying to finish that fight more than I've seen him try in a long time, but when you have a punk stabbing you in the eye every single chance he gets it is very hard to aim your power shots. The fact he didn't have the ref pause the fight whenever it happened shows the balls he has.

http://mmavalor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/gsppoke2.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5684576581_84e7c456f6.jpg

http://www.chrisansari.com/misc/ug/shieldseyepoke03.gif

http://www.chrisansari.com/misc/ug/shieldseyepoke02.gif

http://www.chrisansari.com/misc/ug/shieldseyepoke01.gif

Embedding the youtube didn't work so just click the link. I think it is exciting to see a fighter exploit another's weaknesses and I love the technical aspects of fighting. Not every fight has to be Don Frye vs Takayama. But, it isn't really GSP's fault the fights aren't exciting to some. He dominates so much the fight isn't ever really competitive. If there was anyone at WW who was actually on his level then maybe we would get a strong back and forth, but there is no one good enough to push him.

• Upvote 1

I will never pay to see Gsp fight. He is boring and does not take risk. He is a good fighter not a great one. I love watching Silva fight. The guy is too good. Silva is a Great fighter and the best there is. GSP garbage

• Upvote 1

Also GSP is a white guy from Canada. There isn't any mystique. He wasn't trained in some remote exotic place by a little BJJ master in a dojo somewhere.

For example, people love Anderson Silva.. even though he is a scumbag. He ducks GSP, he gets his ass kicked by Sonnen and then barely wins... and then when he is winning he acts like a total jackass.(Maia).

It's easy for kids to admire a clown like that, while missing the fundamental brilliance of GSP.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I will never pay to see Gsp fight. He is boring and does not take risk. He is a good fighter not a great one. I love watching Silva fight. The guy is too good. Silva is a Great fighter and the best there is. GSP garbage

When Silva feels like fighting he is good. But when he doesn't it is a complete joke of a main event.I am not really in the mood to see an other Maia or Leites fight. That is for sure.

If GSP is garbage, what does that make the rest of the WW division?

Also GSP is a white guy from Canada. There isn't any mystique. He wasn't trained in some remote exotic place by a little BJJ master in a dojo somewhere.

For example, people love Anderson Silva.. even though he is a scumbag. He ducks GSP, he gets his ass kicked by Sonnen and then barely wins... and then when he is winning he acts like a total jackass.(Maia).

It's easy for kids to admire a clown like that, while missing the fundamental brilliance of GSP.

I believe GSP is a much better fighter, but this is silly. Anderson's the one being ducked, not the other way around. GSP refuses to commit to coming up to 185 and rightfully so. It's a terrible division from a talent perspective.

People love Anderson Silva because he's never lost in the UFC, finishes fights, and also does so in an exciting fashion. Since entering the UFC in mid-2006, he has finished 11 out of his 13 fights. 10 of those finishes came as champion, including the title win. GSP entered the UFC at the start of 2004 and finished 8 fights out of 17! Only four of those finishes came as champion. Furthermore, both losses GSP suffered were in front of a UFC audience and he was finished in the first round both times. No one's even bruised or bloodied Silva throughout his run whereas we've seen GSP busted up by both B.J. Penn and Jake Shields.

• Upvote 1

It's a matter of perspective, it's simple.

Some people like his fights, some people don't.

He plays it safe, and he wipes his ass with money because of it.

How is choking someone so tightly that they have to give up before they pass out unconscious, considered barely winning?

Silva is ducking GSP? Since when?

Acting like a jackass against Maia? For sure he was, but you can forgive the odd bad performance, especially when the majority of the time his opponents end up lying flat on their back and he hardly makes a habit of poor performances.

GSP is boring in my opinion and in the eyes of many others. As the opening poster said that doesn't make him a bad fighter, far from it, he's one of the best if not the best in the world but I certainly don't find him entertaining. Yes lying all over your opponent who lacks a ground game is intelligent, so is methodically throwing the odd single strike to win a decision victory against someone with the lack of a standup game but I've always thought of GSP as having the skills to destroy most of his competition much like Silva does and I'd much rather see him do that than continue down his 'Fight Not To Lose' approach.

It's a matter of perspective, it's simple.

Some people like his fights, some people don't.

He plays it safe, and he wipes his ass with money because of it.

seems like the tide is turning and most people now DON'T like him :)

i don't now what kind of drugs you were smoking when you type this but you need to lay of it. Seriously.

• Upvote 1

I believe GSP is a much better fighter, but this is silly. Anderson's the one being ducked, not the other way around. GSP refuses to commit to coming up to 185 and rightfully so. It's a terrible division from a talent perspective.

People love Anderson Silva because he's never lost in the UFC, finishes fights, and also does so in an exciting fashion. Since entering the UFC in mid-2006, he has finished 11 out of his 13 fights. 10 of those finishes came as champion, including the title win. GSP entered the UFC at the start of 2004 and finished 8 fights out of 17! Only four of those finishes came as champion. Furthermore, both losses GSP suffered were in front of a UFC audience and he was finished in the first round both times. No one's even bruised or bloodied Silva throughout his run whereas we've seen GSP busted up by both B.J. Penn and Jake Shields.

so he's ducking silva because he hasn't changed a weightclass yet? he's said he won't consider moving up in weight for just one fight, and that it would be for the remainder of his career, so if i was him i certainly wouldn't move up until i beat every possible threat at 170. really the only one that's left is diaz, but i kinda doubt that fight will happen. it's not like he's ever fought outside the 170lb class before now, so i don't see how anyone can think he's ducking.

i don't think either one of them is ducking the other, personally. they aren't in the same weightclass, and have never fought in the same weightclass.

People know why fans have a problem with GSP, but it's often misinterpreted. You get some people that will argue what a great fighter he is and how impressive his performances are in that sense. We get that, but in many ways, MMA is about exciting fights much more so than Boxing. It's one of the main reasons for the sport's growth and for some people, GSP's performances are possibly bad for the sport. He's great ambassador for interviews and such, but getting booed in his hometown where the UFC drew their largest attendance? Not good.

GSP is ducking Silva because fans of been wanting this for a few years now. Every time Anderson Silva is questioned on the topic, he has stated he wants to make this happen, even entertaining the idea of dropping down to 170. GSP often skirts around the topic, only discussing the obstacles and issues transitioning to 185 would create. He has cleaned out his entire division. The only person left for GSP is fellow teammate, Carlos Condit.

Nick Diaz is not a threat to him. The only wrestler he's beaten in the past four years was Frank Shamrock who made a gentleman's agreement to not take him down. Showtime's commentators were discussing Tyron Woodley as a potential opponent after the Zaromskis fight, but Diaz wants nothing to do with him and for the sake of ratings Strikeforce isn't interested in having a wrestle first fighter as their champion. It's why they were more than comfortable with Jake Shields leaving. Diaz wants nothing to do with him. That's why he's trying to make the jump to boxing or get on the UFC roster to get that big contract before he gets exposed.

And you're wrong, Anderson Silva did fight as a Welterweight for several years.

really garbage.
Welterweight and Light Heavyweight are the most talented divisions in all of MMA. However, unlike anyone at LHW, GSP has been dominant for years.

People know why fans have a problem with GSP, but it's often misinterpreted. You get some people that will argue what a great fighter he is and how impressive his performances are in that sense. We get that, but in many ways, MMA is about exciting fights much more so than Boxing. It's one of the main reasons for the sport's growth and for some people, GSP's performances are possibly bad for the sport. He's great ambassador for interviews and such, but getting booed in his hometown where the UFC drew their largest attendance? Not good.

I enjoyed watching GSP outclass Shields. Some MMA fans could learn something from boxing fans. A fight won with intelligence, tactics and good defensive strategy entertains me. It should be appreciated. Don't we watch to see fighters with great technique perform? If one watches only for the blood and the KO you might as well grab two guys off the street. I'm NOT suggesting ANYONE here is that ignorant, but I think some of the fans booing GSP could be. Who is worse for the sport? GSP or those fans?

• Upvote 1

GSp is tunring into Karo Parisyan. Karo couldnt finish anyone and you knew every fight was going the distance and there was really no chance of being suprised. But at least Karo went for it as much as i dislike the guy. He just was one dimensional and sloppy. GSP has the skills bt is to scared to use them. Whats the point of being a fighter if you are a pussy? I dont mind seeing GSP go the distance. Its just the lack of effort and killer instinct. I dont buy the "fighting smart" excuse. You can get beat in this sport "letting a guy hang around" as much as you can "being careless". There are fights out there where i dont mind a fighter taking the safe approach. If it is a bad style match up and you cant beat him by butting heads them by all means do what it takes. But GSP is doing that to guys who are almost no threat who he should run over. He fights like he is scared to get hit and scared to lose. Contrary to what he says he fights like he dont have anything to prove just trying to cling to the belt.

Physically he doesnt seem to have the same cardio as before. He dont gas but he dont keep the same fight pace or work load as before either. Where is the relentless GnP and stand up assault? He fights in spurts like he is pacing himself to assure he can go 5 rounds. He doesnt mix his strikes up. There is no combinations. Just one strike at a time. He used to fight like Aldo, Silva, Faber, Jones, and all the other stars. Now he fights like a 40 year old Ken Shamrock.

I enjoyed watching GSP outclass Shields. Some MMA fans could learn something from boxing fans. A fight won with intelligence, tactics and good defensive strategy entertains me. It should be appreciated. Don't we watch to see fighters with great technique perform? If one watches only for the blood and the KO you might as well grab two guys off the street. I'm NOT suggesting ANYONE here is that ignorant, but I think some of the fans booing GSP could be. Who is worse for the sport? GSP or those fans?

A fight won with intelligence, tactics and good defensive strategy entertains me.

I agree. But what is entertaining about seeing a guy who has boxing box a guy with no boxing? I can see that watching a boxer hit a heavy bag. That said all GSP did was embarrassed himself because he struggled with a guy who absolutely sucks on the feet. Shields was scared shitless vs real strikers like Lawler and Daley. Not only could he not put him away(didnt even try) but it was GSP who was busted up at the end with 2 Judges giving Shields 2 of the final rounds.