Strikeforce HW tournament 2011 !

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21964/strikeforc...eb-12-event.mma

Strikeforce is about to start an 8-man HW tournament, beggining on the 12th of februari.

The particpians seems to be the following:

Fedor

Silva

Kharitonov

Barnett

Arlovski

Overeem

Rogers

Werdum

The only official matchup atm is Fedor vs Silva, the rest are still in process. The big issue is wether Barnett is cleared to fight by the comission or not.

This might possibly the most epic HW tourney ever!

tournaments are some what fun to watch but they are a disaster for high level orgs. Running a HW tournament is a sign of desperation from SF. These things never work out because the fighters always pull out. There is always injuries real or imagined. They cant get Fedor to face anyone he dont hand pick but he will face someone blindly in a tournament? They cant get Overeem to fight anyone at all but he will fight 3 fights in a row in SF?

Fans get excited about these but i guarantee they tournament that we get will not be the one we expected. Someone will pull out and there will be more than 1. This was proven in the early days of the UFC when none of them went as planned(An alternate won one UFC and Coleman won one by fighting no one in the finals) to the recent Showtime boxing Super 6 where just about everyone was replaced. The Super 6 became The Mediocre 6.

this will be over multiple shows also, no multiple fights in one night. so it really isn't like a tourney, more like just figuring out a clear #1 contender.

at least Fedor will be fighting again though

Wow It's stacked, Overeem vs Werdum, Kharitonov vs Arlovski, Rogers vs Barnett.. I can't wait

IMO the Strikeforce HW Division is the best and rapes the UFC's division.

*crosses fingers all fighters actually participate* ..*double crosses fingers for a fedor/overeem final so overeem can finally move on and turn the u in ufc into "uber"*

what is the tournament for? cant be title shot since overeem is entered -- what is this a just for the heck of it deal

exactly, if Overeem is in it then I don't really see a point to this. Is it a great idea and will I watch it, absolutely, but what does the winner get???

I'm tenatively excited for this. Their doesn't seem to be any sort of rhyme or rhythm to their seeding though. Arlovski, a guy who's on a three fight losing streak against Kharitonov, who is 1-1 in the last two years? It should be:

Overeem (1) vs. Arlovski (8)

Werdum (2) vs. Kharitonov (7)

Fedor (3) vs. Barnett (6)

Silva (4) vs. Rogers (5)

http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/strikeforcebracket_84480.jpg

Looks like they are assuming Fedor will beat Silva as they really want to make sure Fedor/Werdum II or finally Fedor/Overeem happens.

I would think that Overeem would defend his title with every fight he's in. Otherwise why risk him losing and keeping his belt. That'd look even worse than the fact he's only defended it once since he won it three years ago.

http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/strikeforcebracket_84480.jpg

Looks like they are assuming Fedor will beat Silva as they really want to make sure Fedor/Werdum II or finally Fedor/Overeem happens.

How horrible is that seeding?

They put all the best fighters on the left side. <_<

LMAO. UFC rivals kill themselves off with stupidity every time. Like i said this tournament is a sign of desperation. Next they will book a PPV and hope for a miracle. There is not reason to do a GP. Its a short term solution. But i guess on the bright side when you have the piss poor match making of SF you are better off leaving the match ups to the dumb luck of a tournament.

If SF has a run of bad luck they are going to have a tournament of rematches. Sergei vs Overeem, Sergei vs Werdum, Overeem vs Werdum, Overeem vs Rogers, Werdum vs Fedor, Werdum vs Silva, Werdum vs Arlovski, Fedor vs Rogers, Fedor vs Arlovski, and Arlovski vs Silva are all fights that have happened already.

Arlovski has already fought 4 of the 8 guys

Fedor has already fought 3 of the 8 guys

Overeem has already fought 3 of the 8 guys

Rogers has already fought 3 of the 8 guys

yea i just went back and checked the possible match ups..after fedor/overeem or werdum what else really says MUST WATCH?..khar and arlovski are in the twilight (maybe end) of their careers, barnett is way over rated and hasn't fought anyone worth mentioning in years (let's not forget the steroids either), and rogers reminds me of big country without the BJJ (basically he sucks)

Not to mention Overeem will surely be going back to defend his K-1 title. Assuming he smashes Werdum into oblivion, it doesn't leave a lot of time to squeeze in 2 more fights this year.

I would think that Overeem would defend his title with every fight he's in. Otherwise why risk him losing and keeping his belt. That'd look even worse than the fact he's only defended it once since he won it three years ago.

you obviously don't follow The Reem or SF

they both reguraly have or are champs not defending the belt in a fight

"Beginning with Overeem's quarterfinal bout against Werdum, each Strikeforce title fight throughout the tournament will be a five-round contest. All other bouts are relegated to three rounds."

rogers reminds me of big country without the BJJ (basically he sucks)

And without the boxing, and they put on quite different sorts of tires.

as far as an actual tournament goes...the matchups dont really make sense. i think strikeforce obviously wants someone from block A to win. i also do believe it when they say the timing was what caused the matchups. plus....who really cares? we get the matchups we wanna see earlier.