Extinction Rebellion hits the streets of UK

lotos

Extinction Rebellion is a socio-political movement which uses nonviolent resistance to protest against climate breakdown, biodiversity loss, and the risk of human extinction and ecological collapse.

Mission

We are facing an unprecedented global emergency, the planet is in crisis and we are in the midst of a mass extinction bigger and faster than the one that killed the dinosaurs. Scientists believe we have entered a period of abrupt climate breakdown. The Earth’s atmosphere is already over 1°C warmer than pre-industrial levels and the chance of staying below the 1.5°C limit set in the Paris Agreement is tiny. Projections show we are on course for 3 degrees of warming and probably much higher.

We and our children will face unimaginable horrors as a result of floods, wildfires, extreme weather, crop failures and the inevitable breakdown of society when the pressures are so great. We are unprepared for the danger our future holds.

The time for denial is over – we know the truth about climate change. It is time to act.
Demands

Extinction Rebellion's website states its aims as:[12][1][13]

• "The Government must tell the truth about the climate and wider ecological emergency, reverse inconsistent policies and work alongside the media to communicate with citizens.
  • The Government must enact legally binding policy measures to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and to reduce consumption levels.
  • A national Citizens' assembly to oversee the changes, as part of creating a democracy fit for purpose."

What's been going on in London?

Multiple (1000+)arrests in London, Marble Arch as police attempt to clear the road blocks on Oxford Street.

XR have held 4 London locations for 10 days, demanding action on the climate and ecological emergency.

"Over the last 10 days there has been a shift in public awareness of the climate and ecological emergency in the UK, and Internationally. We will continue our global struggle for climate and ecological justice."

What XR is doing now?

Join us at Speaker's Corner, Hyde Park (tomorrow from 17:00-19:00) a celebration of all we have achieved over the past ten days. Since we stepped out into the streets on 15th April, the world has changed. Let's get together, talk, celebrate and stand in solidarity with other brave rebels around the world.

We'll voluntarily end the Marble Arch and Parliament Square blockades on Thursday.

We will leave the physical locations but a space for truth-telling has been opened up in the world.

We would like to thank Londoners for opening their hearts and demonstrating their willingness to act on that truth. We know we have disrupted your lives. We do not do this lightly. We only do this because this is an emergency.

Around the planet, a long-awaited and much-needed conversation has begun. People have taken to the streets and raised the alarm in more than 80 cities in 33 countries. People are talking about the climate and ecological emergency in ways that we never imagined.

Join the Movement: https://www.facebook.com/ExtinctionRebellion/

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MORE on Climate Change:-

Politicians' responses in the House of Parliament yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_JQNWjKn9E&fbclid=IwAR1stppXPgL9JHlARe_OKQ2w1RtesaN0OZ67N9zsN15j2AaciBghnXeENfc

On BBC, by David Attenborough https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47988337?fbclid=IwAR2Vi9LjQvHruFeQPG1hqpWrEXUpoEE5g_Y8kqg4g8zq3JBzX3Ina2-WcN0

HOW TO SAVE OUR PLANET, by David Attenborough (9min video): https://www.ourplanet.com/en/video/how-to-save-our-planet/

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED YOU WATCH THIS!! "The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming, by David Wallace-Wells. Explains the effects of a rise in temperature by 2 degrees will have on you within 10 yrs......Joe Rogan podcast. https://youtu.be/RoWXvMQ3xqg. This video puts things into perspective.

(The Doomsday Clock) Breakdown, by expert Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist, historian, political activist, and social critic. Sometimes called "the father of modern linguistics", Chomsky is also a major figure in analytic philosophy and one of the founders of the field of cognitive science. Full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwTQsvhq3ew

Greta Thunberg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pxwmsPM5aQ

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm all for saving the planet, but something about protesting and standing in the street has always seemed like a dick move to me. Other people have kids and shit just trying to get home to have some angry vegens blocking the path... IDK. Hopefully it makes a positive difference and nobody gets ran over.

Rule #56: never stop for human road blockades

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I'm all for saving the planet, but something about protesting and standing in the street has always seemed like a dick move to me. Other people have kids and shit just trying to get home to have some angry vegens blocking the path... IDK. Hopefully it makes a positive difference and nobody gets ran over.

Rule #56: never stop for human road blockades

This happened the other day in Melbourne

"Police have charged 39 people after a vegan protest shut down one of Melbourne's busiest intersections during peak hour, disrupting tram routes and forcing ambulances to be rerouted.

Protesters chained themselves to three vehicles which were used to block the intersection of Flinders and Swanston streets this morning, Victoria Police said.
The disruptions caused significant delays for many commuters, who had already braced themselves for travel pain as buses replaced trains on five of the city's busiest lines as well as Gippsland V/Line services for a construction blitz.
Superintendent David Clayton said the protesters had not discussed their plans with police and put community safety at risk with "many people" unable to access vital services."
Cockheads
  • Upvote 2

David Wallace-Wells is Deputy editor and climate columnist for New York magazine. His book "The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming".

David Wallace-Wells goes into great detail as to how a 2-4 degree increase in temperature will affect our day to day lives (depending on where you live the effects may differ that there will be affects within the next decade). Although he touches on aspects that have not yet heard in discussion, I am bringing these excerpts to your attention as he has clearly outlined 2 or 3 solutions that could solve the carbon issue overnight.

In light of current affairs in UK, I'd like to focus on (political) steps we can take now, namely 2 forms of legislation that could literally stop the clock today (of our global human footprint) in terms of carbon emissions.

• Redirect government subsidies from fossil fuels to new tech. Cost to neutralise carbon emissions is 3 trillion dollars a year. Currently fossil fuels are a 5 trillion dollars a year industry. (Of course a new infrastructure for sustainable technology is still not accounted for; the 3 trillion is just the cost to suck out carbon from the atmosphere, which may exceed these costs). So we have to look at these and all the other costs and prioritise. Bjorn Lomborg a former director of the Danish government's Environmental Assessment Institute (EAI) in Copenhagen outlines the economic problems that are of greater concern than climate change (see below)...

Joe Rogan | The Long Term Effects of Climate Change- 7 mins (at 7:14:00)

https://youtu.be/hOpNDiCX1j4?t=434 (or watch full 13mins excerpt)

• Reduce methane emissions from cows by 95-99% and/or release sulphur into the atmosphere:

Joe Rogan | Can We Slow Down Climate Change? #1259 - David Wallace-Wells

Releasing sulphur into the atmosphere:

Full podcast with Joe Rogan: (153 min video) https://youtu.be/RoWXvMQ3xqg

On a personal not I'd like to discourage activism in terms of posting random stuff (trying to convert) in the hope to raise awareness. I, have not only a duty, but so do you not just to promote the cause, but above all to do proper research. I urge us to focus inwards thoroughly address the political and economical issues that we face, as well as environmental.

XR has already made its point, so let's focus on how we would spend a budget and where we would prioritise our spending. It's now a matter of standing our ground in terms of policies and building up a solid infrastructure, game plan or political stance that looks into the negative impact that drastic changes could have on our economy. Dare I say it "let's make changes to the economy that have positive impacts on the environment BEFORE we make (drastic) environmental changes that have a negative impact on the economy".

There are already side-effects from technologies already in place having a global "cooling effect", (outlined above in Releasing sulphur into the atmosphere excerpt above) so we need take those (and other) factors into consideration before we have an "obliterate the system" mentality.

VALID ARGUMENTS AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE (as a solution): Bjorn Lomborg a former director of the Danish government's Environmental Assessment Institute (EAI) in Copenhagen outlines "Tackling climate change is NOT a viable solution to global issues and is actually not even in the top 5 in terms of prioritising with a 75million dollar budget."

Lomborg: Global priorities bigger than climate change: https://youtu.be/Dtbn9zBfJSs?t=32

Lomborg angers climate change activists claiming "Dealing with climate change is an inefficient way of helping the world." https://youtu.be/xcbemlPluAo?t=289

Economics of climate change innovation | Bjørn Lomborg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEjNVWV5jbs

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Cows fart like crazy

I'll be honest I didn't read much of anything above your comment. So I don't know how relevant it is to this topic.

With that said do you count the farts that the cows have? Is it really anymore then anyone or anything else? On a scale of 1 to Nick nack Patty wack give that cow some tic tacks how does it smell? Is it really even a cow where talking about here, or do you speak of the heifer you slept with last night?

Entertain me!

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't be bothered to read or check at least to show something of how your brain is making it's way to this (accurate) assessment: a reference to go along with your observation or provide a plausible argument.....or even a single (well-made sentence) point.

You don't think climate change is real or you just don't like THINGS (that u don't relate to or fully understand)?....

What if you are right man and thousands of experts are just simply stupid (more stupid than you??). I so hope all these people who dedicated their lives to researching this shit and used massive resources in funding and personal sacrifices are wrong!!!

So, sooo hope the skeptics are right guys!!! I don't wanna see how you explain this to ur kids and grand children if you end up being wrong, people told you, yet you still ignored it!!

• Downvote 2

Australia faces 'world-first' climate change human rights case.

Indigenous people from the low-lying Torres Strait Islands off Australia's northeast coast will file a landmark complaint with the United Nations on Monday, accusing the government of breaching their human rights by failing to tackle climate change.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/australia-faces-world-climate-change-human-rights-case-190513050431042.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5cda4461e506e700010808a6&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1VvkwLrSvA-AgHG9hZjq9D_RNq8nI7TTfKvmp1BBykTEn6uUlApQnG4zE

• Downvote 1

mankind is a parasite living on a host and nature will take care of it in time

I was saying (hoping) exactly the same...."the earth can replenish itself" just give it 20yrs without us. I do pray we have more than just one trick or plan other than clinging our hopes the human race gets wiped out.

50% off everything has already been used up within your lifetime (actually it's half the life of your grandparents ie 50yrs). David Attenborough breaks down the reality of how these changes are affecting communties, eco-system, habitats, biodiversity and even large groups of species already. It's visible to the naked eye, if you not surrounded by cities and infrastructure or blinded by fake news and media.

For fucks sake people (not directing my frustration at you dude)...Recycling waste from Plymouth is being washed up in Malaysia....many all around the globe are seeing and even suffering from environmental the changes that are happening right now,.just no one from Plymouth (rhetorical).

I mean even with the knowledge it's hard for people to put the planet's needs above your own (of course who can actually do that?)...we all have issues and life (surviving to deal with)......But however one looks at it, UNLESS we put the planet's needs first and literally within 10 yrs (which could be unrealistically niave as we update) we could all face the consequences within our lifetime. All the predictions are happening much faster than expected (we face more threats then experts initially predicted).

SCIENCE IS SAYING WE DON'T HAVE A GENERATION TO WAIT.....some might even be hoping that the children of today (now) will sort it out later.....truth is , the damage done by this generation, could be too late in 10 yrs..... 10 yrs and there is no "I told you so".......it's "quick get out of your cities". Never mind what you said in tycoon grab your gets, leave your belongings and get out here (your home). Psi-fi movies are mostly dated around now......if you peeps haven't already gathered, it has already begun!!

Edited by lotos
  • Downvote 1

So for some reason I can't down vote this incredibly stupid hyperbolic load of tripe.

Which bit is hyperbolic?...please educate me bro!....make an effort or a point.

Look I'm trying not to be an arsehole...just can u please answer this. Who is better qualified to make a valid argument: one who has a bit of knowledge on many things or one who knows almost everything about one subject? Not rhetorical and not tryoing to be clever. It is actually a pretty good question (not sure such an easy question)?

• Downvote 2

I agree, I wasnt saying to do nothing, I was making the point that 2 or 3 generations, we wont be here and it will be our fault. Nature will wipe us clean

I was saying (hoping) exactly the same...."the earth can replenish itself" just give it 20yrs without us. I do pray we have more than just one trick or plan other than clinging our hopes the human race gets wiped out.

50% off everything has already been used up within your lifetime (actually it's half the life of your grandparents ie 50yrs). David Attenborough breaks down the reality of how these changes are affecting communties, eco-system, habitats, biodiversity and even large groups of species already. It's visible to the naked eye, if you not surrounded by cities and infrastructure or blinded by fake news and media.

For fucks sake people (not directing my frustration at you dude)...Recycling waste from Plymouth is being washed up in Malaysia....many all around the globe are seeing and even suffering from environmental the changes that are happening right now,.just no one from Plymouth (rhetorical).

I mean even with the knowledge it's hard for people to put the planet's needs above your own (of course who can actually do that?)...we all have issues and life (surviving to deal with)......But however one looks at it, UNLESS we put the planet's needs first and literally within 10 yrs (which could be unrealistically niave as we update) we could all face the consequences within our lifetime. All the predictions are happening much faster than expected (we face more threats then experts initially predicted).

SCIENCE IS SAYING WE DON'T HAVE A GENERATION TO WAIT.....some might even be hoping that the children of today (now) will sort it out later.....truth is , the damage done by this generation, could be too late in 10 yrs..... 10 yrs and there is no "I told you so".......it's "quick get out of your cities". Never mind what you said in tycoon grab your gets, leave your belongings and get out here (your home). Psi-fi movies are mostly dated around now......if you peeps haven't already gathered, it has already begun!!

I agree, I wasnt saying to do nothing, I was making the point that 2 or 3 generations, we wont be here and it will be our fault. Nature will wipe us clean

I can't argue with your thinking dude....but been looking at the overwhelming data that has become available very recently that even the enormous increases in global threats and increased numbers of environmental issues that have (not been predicted) been overlooked . SO, even if by some miracle all those threats were multiplied by 10 times..... (if we're discussing the best case to create a worse case scenario) mass-depopulation of humans (with many other species that rely on each other for survival also being wiped out: 25% of all insects are gone within 10yrs: overwhelming data proven evidence supports) assuming there sin't a complete breakdown of the global economy (or even worse than that: only some countries (China and Russia most likely to survive revolution, catastrophes or crisis).......

So what I'm saying is even if we imagine the best and worst possible outcomes, a complete failure or recovery from the said disasters, most humans (without basic living services or resources like electric power and food) will be living constantly bombarded by new threats from those who are barely surviving and those who are protecting The last remaining assets....

Am I right in assuming you think that there will be a complete wipe out of the human race quick enough, it will all be ok (for the planet)? I find it really hard to imagine a situation that causes a complete wipeout. But say we just assume that not all humans are wiped out (just as possible outcome, although in 10yrs this will simply become inevitable)....but sake of argument, we exceed our time limit (10 yrs to a point of no return is what new evidence proves) that the ONLY possible and most optimistic hope that skeptics have is that large populations get completely wiped out leaving small pockets of vegetation and rich produce (if there is even that: take Einstein's theory that all life on land relies solely bees quote" “If the bee disappeared off the face of the Earth, man would only have four years left to live.” What do u reckon happens to those small pockets and striving populations? You don't think our last vital resources won't create a Doomsday Mad Max scenario?

I deduce, if we exceed the 10 yrs 'reverse the clock' just in terms of Co2 emissions (alone, so none of the plethora of catastrophies that are a consequence of a mass human extinction) a complete and very quick and immediate one like a gigantic global cataclysm like meteor is the ONLY possible "best case scenario".

"There's never an alien when u need one?"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know if the planet will survive and rebuild, but I think it is logical to think there is an extremely high likelihood that humans wont. The earth is a system, a closed system, all closed systems have points of no return when they become unsustainable and cannot heal or replenish

I don't think its tomorrow but I do think maybe some of our family members will be around when it collapses (2 or 3 generations)

I wish it would not happen but I think we are past the tipping point and like you say self interest has and will prevent us acting

Its not just climate change, it is over population (check out Carl Sagan's book "billions and Billions" where he looks at the exponential increase in population since the beginning of man- it was written in the 70's and is scary) and the destruction of fundamental (foundation) blocks of the whole system , i.e. insects, like you mention

• Upvote 1

I don't know if the planet will survive and rebuild, but I think it is logical to think there is an extremely high likelihood that humans wont. The earth is a system, a closed system, all closed systems have points of no return when they become unsustainable and cannot heal or replenish

I don't think its tomorrow but I do think maybe some of our family members will be around when it collapses (2 or 3 generations)

I wish it would not happen but I think we are past the tipping point and like you say self interest has and will prevent us acting

Its not just climate change, it is over population (check out Carl Sagan's book "billions and Billions" where he looks at the exponential increase in population since the beginning of man- it was written in the 70's and is scary) and the destruction of fundamental (foundation) blocks of the whole system , i.e. insects, like you mention

I think you would love Randall Carlson's studies take on it. Listening to him speak on any subject is mind boggling. How he ties it all together and illustrates his theories and disproves so what we are taught in History. Heavyweight of academia...pure brainfood. He did a couple of podcasts with Joe Rogan and a couple with Graham Hancock (also on JRExperience).

But if you think we have 2 or 3 generations before before the major problems, then I'm sorry to say my friend, just simply isn't the case. New studies explained in Life After Warming, by David Wallace-Wells from New York Magazine. 8min vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LlRu1N2uoY

David Wallace also did an excellent data driven podcast. He lays it all out plainly and clearly https://youtu.be/hOpNDiCX1j4 (short excerpt)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1