The Football (Soccer) Thread

Mentor

Spurs signed Sessegnon and Lo Celso on the last day. Overall a strong window for Spurs, i think all these players will enhance the team. The big question mark for me is what will happen with Erikson, he has a contract expiring next summer and last year we rejected an offer for 100m. We cannot possibly be willing to let such an asset walk for nothing?

It was not pretty but Spurs turned a 0-1 scoreline against the newcomers Aston Villa to get the win 3-1 at home. Kane was clinical when he had to be and Erikson showed us why we still need him when he came off the bench in the second half. Ndombele scored a great curling shot outside the area. What was interesting is that Dembele (basically the guy Ndombele is replacing) also scored in his debut when he joined, it was a similar type of goal and both celebrated the exact same way after the goal.

Anyway, 3 points in the bag for Spurs, next week we have the Champs, Man City. I am not confident at all in this game, Son, Foyth out with cards, Ali, Sessegnon, Aurier on the injury list. Celso just joined, so he will need adaptation time. Erikson + Vertongen have some issue with the coach, so they are not being picked. So we are going into the game depleted, not what you need away to City.

• 2 months later...

Damn it has been a bad 2 month period for Spurs. Probably the worse i remember in the past 20 years, maybe on par when Ramos was the coach about 10 years back. We started the season as 3rd favorites to win the league and current CL finalists. In the last 2 months we got kicked out of the League cup by Colchester, we are currently mid table in the league, losing to teams such as Brighton away 3-0. In the CL we have not won a game yet and got demolished at home by Bayern 7-2. Moral is at an all time low, Toby, Vertongen, Eriksen will all likely be leaving on a free at the end of the season. We spent a lot of money on Celso, Sessegnon, Ndombele, but only Ndombele has even got onto the pitch due to injuries. We went from being the youngest teams in the league 3 years ago to one of the oldest now, we are in total rebuild mode at the moment.

This weekend our coach was happy with a 1-1 draw at home against the team which is last in the league (Watford). I suspect we will get KOed from the CL in the group stages, miss out of CL football and in the summer we will probably have to sell our key players (that could include Kane if he asks for a move), Pouchetino will probably want to move if we do not release him. Worse of all? We are being linked to Mourinho............................now that will basically kill off everything, we will end up in the middle ages.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Spurs sacked Pouchetino and we hired Mourinho.

Lots of articles about the sacking and Mourinho. But end of the day, i think the change was not far fetched. Bottom line is that we have sucked a lot in the past 9 months. Pouch was a good manager, but too much credit was given to him. Most of the players that are our mainstay, were with us before he came. The few transfers under his belt, were not great in the most part. Many players have regressed actually and i am not only referring to the old guard. Most of all though, we have not won shit and at key moments we were very typical Spursy. Mourinho is an asshole, but one thing he is not, is a loser. Even his United run, which is his worse ever, he still won the Europa Cup and 2 domestic cups, which is more than what Pouch has achieved. Sure Mourinho spent 400m on players, but his team was still worse than our current squad. Anyway, if Jose gets us silverware, i do not care that he is an asshole, Spurs fans want trophies.

We also started well, an away win against West Ham, 3-2. Our last away win in the EPL was over 12 games ago.

I was actually watching the UEFA Group Stage today, the Chelsea and Liverpool games. Been a long time since I watched any football.

So Spurs sacked Pouchetino and we hired Mourinho.

Lots of articles about the sacking and Mourinho. But end of the day, i think the change was not far fetched. Bottom line is that we have sucked a lot in the past 9 months. Pouch was a good manager, but too much credit was given to him. Most of the players that are our mainstay, were with us before he came. The few transfers under his belt, were not great in the most part. Many players have regressed actually and i am not only referring to the old guard. Most of all though, we have not won shit and at key moments we were very typical Spursy. Mourinho is an asshole, but one thing he is not, is a loser. Even his United run, which is his worse ever, he still won the Europa Cup and 2 domestic cups, which is more than what Pouch has achieved. Sure Mourinho spent 400m on players, but his team was still worse than our current squad. Anyway, if Jose gets us silverware, i do not care that he is an asshole, Spurs fans want trophies.

We also started well, an away win against West Ham, 3-2. Our last away win in the EPL was over 12 games ago.

Jose is always fun to watch from a neutral perspective and I tend to root for him even though he is undeniably arrogant. I hope it works out well for him and Spurs.

• Downvote 1

Jose is always fun to watch from a neutral perspective and I tend to root for him even though he is undeniably arrogant. I hope it works out well for him and Spurs.

I already started off well. 2 games, 2 wins. Both games were entertaining. 11 goals scored in 2 games and in both games Mourinho played a role. His tactical changes against West ham were subtle, but important. Against Olympiacos, his decision to take out Dier, change the formation, played a role in us making a comeback from 0-2 down to win 4-2. Pouchetino would never make such drastic changes mid game.

• 5 months later...

All you genuine fans out there, give me some lower level teams to support, or even some non english teams. I don’t follow soccer very much, but I’d like to a bit more. I’ve always liked spurs but need some other, smaller teams. Here in America I support Sporting KC, but that’s about all I’ve got. :)

All you genuine fans out there, give me some lower level teams to support, or even some non english teams. I don’t follow soccer very much, but I’d like to a bit more. I’ve always liked spurs but need some other, smaller teams. Here in America I support Sporting KC, but that’s about all I’ve got. :)

I suggest supporting a team you can actually watch. Spurs (my team) sucks, we do not win anything. We have only two league cups (which mean shit) since 1991 (when we won the FA cup, it was worth something then). We have not won the league since 1963, i was not even born then, my dad was just 12. So if you want a decent team which you can watch but is not winning anything, support Spurs. The worlds greatest underachievers.

As a hippie lover, you might like Forest Green Rovers https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Green_Rovers_F.C.

(Play in the fourth tier of English football). Eco friendly club. 100% vegan! Luminous green kit.

• Upvote 1

I suggest supporting a team you can actually watch. Spurs (my team) sucks, we do not win anything. We have only two league cups (which mean shit) since 1991 (when we won the FA cup, it was worth something then). We have not won the league since 1963, i was not even born then, my dad was just 12. So if you want a decent team which you can watch but is not winning anything, support Spurs. The worlds greatest underachievers.

Ive been a casual spurs fan for most of my life, as for whatever reason one of the local chsnnels has their games fairly often. Can’t say I’ve been overly invested for awhile now though. But, still my #1 :)

As a hippie lover, you might like Forest Green Rovers https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Green_Rovers_F.C.

(Play in the fourth tier of English football). Eco friendly club. 100% vegan! Luminous green kit.

not even sure how a soccer club can be vegan, but looks like we have a winner! Awesome suggestion man, cheers :)
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Pool won the league after 30 years as expected. After Chelsea beat City and Spurs failed to beat United at home, it is all but over for Spurs in regards to a top 4 finish. Maybe a top 5 could lead to CL football if the City ban does not get overturned, but it is unlikely Spurs will finish 5th either. United will need to capitulate.

Nah man, Wolves are a much better and much more consistent team than Spurs, so I think they get 5th spot and champions league football (if the city ban does not get overturned). But, Man United (my team), looks good for top 4, so I don't really care about the rest. I see Leicester dropping out of the top 5 altogether though. And Mentor, what are your thoughts on the mid table bottlers (Arsenal)?

Pool won the league after 30 years as expected. After Chelsea beat City and Spurs failed to beat United at home, it is all but over for Spurs in regards to a top 4 finish. Maybe a top 5 could lead to CL football if the City ban does not get overturned, but it is unlikely Spurs will finish 5th either. United will need to capitulate.

I am just glad that Liverpool got the chance to actually win the league on the field and that the Covid-pandemic did not make it a stat win.

Nah man, Wolves are a much better and much more consistent team than Spurs, so I think they get 5th spot and champions league football (if the city ban does not get overturned). But, Man United (my team), looks good for top 4, so I don't really care about the rest. I see Leicester dropping out of the top 5 altogether though. And Mentor, what are your thoughts on the mid table bottlers (Arsenal)?

I think Leicester will hold onto a top 5 at least, they were really good before the break, they are not looking great since then, but they are still 3 + plus a game in hand + goal difference over Wolves. I guess a lot has to do with the fixtures. Chelsea have looked solid. I think 5th place will be a fight between United and Wolves. I also think Ole is getting a lot of unfair criticism this year. He has a pretty young team and he is in the semi finals of the Europa, the Cup and he has a good chance for a CL spot with City not making it, that is progress from where you were last year.

I also think Mourinho did a pretty good job as well, he basically got the team Pouche had and was struggling the past 9 months previously. Did not really invest much and lost Erickson and has gotten the team to perform better. I think if he had us from the start of the year we would be a top 4-5 team. We have a huge game for us against Sheffield, they are 1 point below us in the league and it is an away game, if we fail to get the 3 points i think the season is over for us in terms of a top 5.

As for Arsenal, i think they are in a transition period now since Wenger left them, trying to find a new identity, they are also just 2 points below us, so it is not as if we are doing much better.

• Upvote 1