Glass Joe (328391)

jjsquirrel

http://mmatycoon.com/gallery/17/17w25.jpg

Glass Joe, MMA record 4-1

Following his recent win at SyFi 42 the Sydney MMA website sherkangaroo did an interview with Glass Joe talking about his entry into MMA and the early days of the SFC organization.

You came into MMA relatively late at 25, what was your background before then?

I was doing boxing in the Nintendo WVBA, yes don't even start, I know most people wouldn't even call that real fighting. And I wasn't exactly doing well there, not at all actually.. was never motivated for it and hardly threw a punch in most of my fights. Wasted years of my life going nowhere.

I can understand you wanted to leave that, but how did the switch to MMA come about?

After I quit boxing I moved to Helsinki in Finland. Purely for economical reasons, didn't have a lot of money and that was the cheapest place to live. There I met Mac, a guy I know well from my boxing days. He was completely on fire about MMA, wanted to invest the money from his boxing career - which was better than mine - into becoming a manager. Said he read some stuff on a web forum and he now knew exactly how to train and how to succeed in MMA.. not sure he really knew what he was talking about back then, but he convinced me to join as his first ever fighter.

You then got a professional contract in.. Sydney, why all the way down here?

I didn't have any say in it to be honest. The way Mac tells it is some guy called Bob just called him in the middle of the night (because of the timezone difference). He had somehow found out about me doing MMA and offered a contract. Almost a bit creepy, like he was stalking me via some registry of newly licensed MMA fighters or something. Claimed the distance to Sydney would not be an issue at all and that everything would work out great. Mac accepted to go down and see him without even asking me and the next day told me to pack my gloves, we are going to Sydney.

That was in the early days when the SFC had just started, how was it joining such a young organization?

There wasn't much money involved. When me and Mac first came down to sign the contract we slept on the floor in Bobs living room, didn't have money for a hotel. Bob wasn't exactly doing that well himself back then, but he turned out to be a really nice guy who tried to help his fighters out any way he could. For example I remember he gave me $200 once to help with my training fees. Doesn't sound like much today, but back then every little bit helped.

I've heard you say earlier training wasn't as good back then as today

Yes certainly true, crowded sessions in small gyms. Sometimes with horrible instructors. One of the guys I went to do BJJ with later turned out to be a fake blackbelt. There were gyms closing, always right after you paid gym fee for the next week. When Mac convinced more of our old boxing friends to come join us in MMA they went to Sydney, the main reason was better availability of public gyms there - and of course being closer to the SFC events.

So how was fighting in MMA compared to boxing?

In my opinion much more strategic. There are so many more options for how to go about a fight and the gameplan you go in with plays a huge part. I love it, I instantly felt like a completely new man when I entered the octagon and let loose my boxing skills in a way I never did before.

You had a very successful start of your career, some have called it a Cinderella story.

No one ever believed in me for any of my first fights, cannot say I blame them considering my background before MMA. When I was put up for the title fight against Barbosa the odds were something huge in his favour.

That was the first 5 rounder in SFC history to go the distance, an epic striker vs grappler struggle

Yes, the fight of my life so far, one I will be telling the grandkids about for sure. I was working a lot of takedown defense before that one. The gameplan worked out perfectly for the first 3 rounds. In the 4th I was starting to tire, my concentration lapsed for a moment and he pulled me down. I was in a bad spot there by the end of the round when he swept me and got on top. I was silently cursing that fake BJJ instructor when the bell rang and saved me. Thinking of him though gave me new energy for the last round and in the end the decision was unanimous.

Now as an ex-champion coming off a fresh victory, what are your plans for the future? Will you make another bid for the title?

I wish I could say yes, I love this sport, I love fighting. I will be doing it for as long as I can. But to compete with guys who are both younger and had quality training in this sport before I even started in my first Cozad gym.. that's just not realistic in the long run. I'm proud to have held the belt of course but right now I'm just here to have fun, punch guys in the face and get paid for it on top, what else could you wish for?

Thank you for your time Glass Joe, given your record of "of the night" awards we can surely look forward to many entertaining fights to come.

• Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/17/17w25.jpg

Glass Joe, MMA Record 6-1

Sherkangaroo just stole a couple of minutes with Glass Joe during his preparations for another title bid.

Glass Joe, in our last interview it sounded like you were stepping down your ambitions, but now you are about to fight for the title again at SyFi 68, what happened?

Well, I was kind of taking things day by day, one fight at a time. And I just love training and knocking guys down in the ring so I kept doing that. Then one day Bob called, I asked him what hopeful young title contender they were going to send me next. He said "none, you are the top contender, I want you to fight Kishimoto again".

That can hardly have been a surprise following your recent 3-0 streak?

Maybe not, but I wasn't thinking much about it. Living day by day you know. Had fights against opponents not much different from me in age and experience. You make it sound like I had an easy time, but no fight really is. At least not today considering how the level of competition in SFC have improved.

Your last one against Pinched Nerve was especially impressive, a lot of people had expected him to win his ticket for a rematch with Kishimoto there.

Hah they never learn. Yes some people still don't believe in me as soon as they bring in one of those younger guys from "the next generation" of fighters. But sure Nerve is a good fighter, that fight didn't look as close to the viewers as it very well could have been. He made a few key mistakes I could capitalize on.

Interesting, what mistakes?

First of all I think he came to the fight overtrained. The first round was intense clinch fighting, but I could feel him get tired quicker than me and knew I had the advantage. Then in second when he pulled me down on the ground his corner immediately started shouting and he stood back up, no idea what they were thinking there. Must have been some miscommunication with his new management. Then he was so gassed in third that I went for the knockout, thought I had him for a moment, but he showed good heart and finished strong.

So now when the title shot is yours, how do you feel about fighting Kishimoto again? It is well known from social media the two of you became friends after your first fight, I have even seen people refer to you as Rocky & Apollo on internet forums.

Haha, you better not take any fight offers from Russia Daichi! But yes when we started talking after trading shots in the cage he turned out to be a great guy, we even did some training together so we know each others capabilities well. For the fight it doesn't change much though. In there I just see him as the ultimate test for my skills and whoever wins I still see him as a friend after. Actually I'm happy if I can go the distance - just like Balboa, but also like him I'll give everything I got when I'm in there.. and you know what, Rocky lost the first but won second time.

Thanks Joe, we are all looking forward to a great battle on the 24th.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/17/17w25.jpg

Glass Joe, MMA Record 6-1

Sherkangaroo just stole a couple of minutes with Glass Joe during his preparations for another title bid.

Glass Joe, in our last interview it sounded like you were stepping down your ambitions, but now you are about to fight for the title again at SyFi 68, what happened?

Well, I was kind of taking things day by day, one fight at a time. And I just love training and knocking guys down in the ring so I kept doing that. Then one day Bob called, I asked him what hopeful young title contender they were going to send me next. He said "none, you are the top contender, I want you to fight Kishimoto again".

That can hardly have been a surprise following your recent 3-0 streak?

Maybe not, but I wasn't thinking much about it. Living day by day you know. Had fights against opponents not much different from me in age and experience. You make it sound like I had an easy time, but no fight really is. At least not today considering how the level of competition in SFC have improved.

Your last one against Pinched Nerve was especially impressive, a lot of people had expected him to win his ticket for a rematch with Kishimoto there.

Hah they never learn. Yes some people still don't believe in me as soon as they bring in one of those younger guys from "the next generation" of fighters. But sure Nerve is a good fighter, that fight didn't look as close to the viewers as it very well could have been. He made a few key mistakes I could capitalize on.

Interesting, what mistakes?

First of all I think he came to the fight overtrained. The first round was intense clinch fighting, but I could feel him get tired quicker than me and knew I had the advantage. Then in second when he pulled me down on the ground his corner immediately started shouting and he stood back up, no idea what they were thinking there. Must have been some miscommunication with his new management. Then he was so gassed in third that I went for the knockout, thought I had him for a moment, but he showed good heart and finished strong.

So now when the title shot is yours, how do you feel about fighting Kishimoto again? It is well known from social media the two of you became friends after your first fight, I have even seen people refer to you as Rocky & Apollo on internet forums.

Haha, you better not take any fight offers from Russia Daichi! But yes when we started talking after trading shots in the cage he turned out to be a great guy, we even did some training together so we know each others capabilities well. For the fight it doesn't change much though. In there I just see him as the ultimate test for my skills and whoever wins I still see him as a friend after. Actually I'm happy if I can go the distance - just like Balboa, but also like him I'll give everything I got when I'm in there.. and you know what, Rocky lost the first but won second time.

Thanks Joe, we are all looking forward to a great battle on the 24th.

Daichi Kishimoto

"Ahh my friend I have been training BJJ from 6 years old I guess you will never reach my BJJ level, but I admit I took it to the mat within a few seconds I am not scared at anyone's power at 145lbs, but I don't want to taste your 135lbs power it is scary to see what you did to those 3 before the title shot...I hope you keep your career successful I love you, but I have to use the smart gameplan and cannot take a risk maybe we should have a KT match in the future to see what will happen on the feet then if I lose I don't have to take an MMA loss? If you are interested let mr know and we can see if I can make time since I am a double champ I fight super often to be active and give both divisions a good champ!We can talk to the boss!"

• Upvote 1

Daichi Kishimoto

"Ahh my friend I have been training BJJ from 6 years old I guess you will never reach my BJJ level, but I admit I took it to the mat within a few seconds I am not scared at anyone's power at 145lbs, but I don't want to taste your 135lbs power it is scary to see what you did to those 3 before the title shot...I hope you keep your career successful I love you, but I have to use the smart gameplan and cannot take a risk maybe we should have a KT match in the future to see what will happen on the feet then if I lose I don't have to take an MMA loss? If you are interested let mr know and we can see if I can make time since I am a double champ I fight super often to be active and give both divisions a good champ!We can talk to the boss!"

Haha, no I started doing some BJJ as you know, you got me started on that after our first fight, but I'd be honored to ever wear a blue belt. Your timing was perfect there, using my momentum just as I pushed off against you to stand back up, true black belt stuff.

A KT match, sure if it happens I'm up for it. I'm sure you are developing your standup skills to eventually match what you got on the ground and I'd be happy to test how far you got inside the ring. Maybe make it a charity event or something?

Haha, no I started doing some BJJ as you know, you got me started on that after our first fight, but I'd be honored to ever wear a blue belt. Your timing was perfect there, using my momentum just as I pushed off against you to stand back up, true black belt stuff.

A KT match, sure if it happens I'm up for it. I'm sure you are developing your standup skills to eventually match what you got on the ground and I'd be happy to test how far you got inside the ring. Maybe make it a charity event or something?

Daichi Kishimoto

"Yeah maybe we should host a charity event I jave a fight at 145lbs at the moment in 13 days after that we can see if we can make it happen if we wait to long you might just go gray and then people.will judge me for beating a elderly person(just joking) but really it would be fun I will talk to Mr Lineman and see what we can do?if he doesn't want to host KT I am.eilling to talk to.my manager and he would gladly take the money loss and host a charity KT event in CCF so lets see my friend and one day you will achieve the bluebelt"

• 3 weeks later...

http://mmatycoon.com/gallery/17/17w25.jpg

Glass Joe, MMA record 7-2

A lot of things happened since last time, lets start start from the beginning. Daichi Kishimoto remains the champ in Sydney, what can you say about your last fight now that you have some perspective on things?
Well, first of all it is well deserved, he is just getting better every day and for me to beat him our second time around would really have been an upset so I don't take it that hard.

What was your tactics going into the fight?
Keep it on the feet obviously, no secrets there. I went for a body shot right away thinking I could surprise Daichi as he would probably expect me to lead with a jab as would have been a safer choice. But he had been doing his homework and had a tell on me there, as soon as I crouched slightly for the punch he went straight in for the takedown before I had time to get my feet out and hip down for the sprawl. Wish I could have kept it standing a bit longer to make things more interesting, but he is just too good with his BJJ now.

Next fight you were up against Wayne Williams, a young boxing prodigy. With all due respect for your boxing skills many still was seeing this as you being outmatched on the feet. How did you manage to pull of the victory here?
I actually started off with exactly the same body shot as I lead with in the previous fight against Daichi, not the greatest idea I ever had as he must have seen that fight and I was countered and hit a couple of times right away. Have to stop doing those. But that woke me up and I kept to the game plan I worked out with my manager instead. I had to use my full register, Wayne is a great boxer as you say but this is MMA and I made full use of my wrestling, even some ground game where I ended the fight having side control. I could see there he just didn't have the strength left to stop me and I would have loved to have finished the fight with a submission this time, but I'll take a clear decision against a fighter like this any day.

This was also the last fight on your contract with SFC and we heard rumours about you going elsewhere to fight?
Yes first of all I had a great time at SFC. Bob here has helped push me to achieve more in my career than should rightly have been possible, kept matching me at the very top and I have stepped up to the challenge. No matter what I'll always have fond memories of my time in Sydney. It was the last fight on my contract, but I won't say yet this was my last fight in Sydney, you never know what may happen later.

Yes there was some talk about a third and final fight between you and Daichi Kishimoto under different rules? A charity event?
Yes, maybe that will happen, maybe something else will. I'm keeping some options open.

We will keep our ears open then for when there are more news. But what can you say about the next stage of your career now, can you confirm the rumour saying you will be fighting in RISE?
I can confirm that.

What made you decide on that move?
The fight offer was one I couldn't refuse..

That can only mean one thing..
Yes, I'm going into my third title fight.

That's some bomb you dropped right there! SFC veteran and former champion going straight into a challenge for the belt at RISE! Not only that, the bantamweight champion at RISE is Mike Sadollah, who happens to be under the same management as your both rival & friend in Sydney, Daichi Kishimoto. Did you know about this?
Well, I never met him, but I knew he was there of course and I would eventually fight him. Didn't think at first when my manager started talking with RISE they would offer me a shot at the belt right away like this, but when it happened it was just something I had to do. I'll go in there again and give it my very best against Sadollah. He is more experienced and I will be the newcomer on his home turf. I'm the underdog again of course, but I started to enjoy that, it seems to bring out the best in my game.

You won't be getting any inside info from Kishimoto then?

Nah, I wouldn't ask him for such things, not about a member of his team. And I don't think he would answer if I did. He is a good sportsman and a real professional guy. I don't really know much details about Sadollah yet, we will just do what we usually do and my manager will come up with a game plan and brief me in time for the fight.

Finally, how do you feel about working with the RISE people after spending your whole career so far in the SFC?

Don't know really, have barely met them yet as my manager handled most of it. For me personally I always liked Bob at SFC, but my manager have been telling me that this Greco guy running things here is also a good fella and the move will be a good thing for my career so I'm trusting him that things will work out fine here as well.

Thank you, we are all looking forward to a big fight coming up here, Sadollah may be the favourite as reigning champ but considering the history of Glass Joe he should not be looking at odds, he should be preparing for a war and make sure to bring his best at RISE 39.

• Upvote 4

• 5 months later...

17w25.jpg

Glass Joe, MMA record 11-3 (bantamweight 11-2)

You have been very quiet in media as champion at RISE, until recently that is, what has changed?

Oh, nothing really, I've always been open to making interviews, taking time for fans all of that. I'll blame my manager. Says he has been too busy to book press events. Haha, with what I'm earning him now he should be doubling his efforts for me.

Oh, that almost sounds like you are out shopping for new management?

No, not at all. Just taking a jab at him. Me and Mac goes way back, he had a busy period, that's all, but he handles everything important, I would never leave him for other management.

So, lets talk about what you have been up to. Things obviously turned out well for you here at RISE, but there was some turbulence shortly after you joined. Were you ever thinking about leaving again?

No, didn't even think about it since I was holding the belt and I wanted to stay and defend it even if it would be some time before the 135lbs division got going again. I took that one fight one weight class up just to make sure I was staying in shape during the wait.

There was some speculation if that was a bid for holding two belts, was there any truth to that?

No, Brunno was actually ready to offer me a title shot at 145 right away, but I wasn't interested in that, just wanted to fight and see if I could hang with the heavier guys, not move there permanently. I've seen close up how tough it is to hold two belts when my good friend Daichi Kishimoto did. The training program, frequent fights, the diets and weight management. He managed for a good while, but I think it may have been what lost him both belts in the end. I rather focus at 135 to be as successful there as possible. Ronald Mateo Suarez cuts from 150lbs and I don't regret trying a fight against a heavier guy, but it is one loss that doesn't bother me at all.

So once things started moving again at RISE you racked up 3 straight title defenses. I talked to the owner Winger Daddy earlier and he pointed out this is a new record over the previous one from legendary hall of famer Mike Sadollah. At bantamweight you only ever lost to Kishimoto. Could you imagine yourself having another success run like this when you first came to RISE?

I didn't think much about it, it was my manager Mac who told me to move and it did work out.. so you see whatever I said about him earlier i know he will always look out for me so i just trust him on things like this.

Yes we hear he got some connections in the org, cannot hurt with a manager like that?

Not sure what you are going at now, but yes he and Winger who I mentioned are good friends. They hang out occasionally, having a beer, talking about fights, training programs, life and whatever I guess. But Brunno is the one doing all the matchmaking. Sure Mac gets along fine with him and the EE guys as well, but as sure as you know a veteran like Brunno you must also know he is a true and true professional.

Before we run out of time we must of course get to the big news, your recent fight against Chamuaknoi Sitsongrit, what a show that was. And a real nailbiter as well for a while as almost everyone agrees Chamuaknoi took the third round and was looking like he might turn the tide at that point. But you wrapped it up with a confident victory in the end, tell us your version, what happened there in the 4th round?

Yes that was a real fun fight, and I think it may have been one of my best so far on a tactical level. He was having some success, especially with his leg kicks and i felt that in the 3rd round. But then in the 4th he was starting to get stressed, I think he knew by then I wasn't planning on going down for a count, been there done that, it was a previous life and it doesn't bother me getting hit any more, it is just about keep going and hit the other guy harder. He had to win that round to keep up on score. He started to press forward more, but this only worked against him when we got more into my range. I heard his corner shouting, but I had the initiative as he started to back off more again I followed and pressed forward on him instead when he wasn't fully taking advantage of his counter opportunities any more. Like I said before the fight, Chamuaknoi has skill, but my experience simply gave me the decisive advantage here. But he is tough, took some good shots especially in the 5th round that not all fighters would have stood up to. I hope Mr. Ruengruong won't be too hard on him after this one.

That was a full 5 rounder that had high level tactics, both fighters showing heart and aggression as well as beautiful technique. It will surely be a classic among hardcore fans of the sport. It is also nice to see the respect between your side and the Sitsongrit camp when you were talking after the fight.

Yes all of the YABAI guys are among the very top when it comes to producing skilled fighters. You have to respect something like that, but more important they keep things clean and honest. I've been following them for a while and especially the Sitsongrit camp. It was an honor to fight against them and this is a win I'm proud of.

Your next fight is already set and again you face a thai fighter, one you already defeated once back at SFC. How do you think Dieselnoi Por Pramuk will approach this one given how you just handled a top MT fighter? He will surely be watching the tape in his preparations.

He is sure to try something new this time around, he was a purple belt already last time we fought, he may try to use his ground experience now and take it to the ground. But I'll let my manager worry about the what ifs, in the end my plan will just be to punch him in the face one way or another, sounds simple enough doesn't it?

Thank you, have a well deserved rest now, we are all looking forward to seeing you in action again next year.

• Upvote 4

• 2 years later...

17w25.jpg

Glass Joe, MMA record 29-14 (bantamweight 24-12)

This guy just turned 40 today. My first ever fighter. Started training back when I thought the higher the number on the public gym sessions the better. Started MMA at age 25 and late for his id range. He went through 7 organizations. Held titles in 3 of them.

I kept setting new goals with him. At first it was just to survive and learn the game. Then it became going for a title. Then to try and compete with the projects for as long as I could. To defend a title. Try to expand his very one-dimensional build I started training submissions, was it possible for my boxer to get a submission win? Yes he did it. Then to fight competitively at openid. Eventually I just took some weird fights to see what would happen. Back to learning about the game. Then I quit, sort of. But Joe didn't, he kept fighting as always, never gave up.

So of course I had to take him back when I came back to the game, give him at least one last fight. Thanks Eli Kandle who was nice enough to release him back to me. The idea was always to make Joe my personal assistant once his career was done. I never expected it to last this long. It was a glorious career in many ways even if it will never come near the Tycoon HoF. Joe always did all he could and more than he should, he never disappointed me in any of his fights. But here we are, 40 years old, finally time to hang up the gloves?

cc45e02f6316c3b.png

• Upvote 5

Glass Joe's career shows just how awesome of a game MMA tycoon can be, the amount of fun you can looking at these dudes with creepy avatars beat the shit out of each other. What a glorious career for a 25 year old and a glorious career for any fighter really. I don't know if I'll have a top P4P fighter but, I sure hope I have one that I can connect to and appreciate like Glass Joe.

• Upvote 2