markyosullivan

are they changing the controller and the online? those are the 2 primary reasons why 97% of my gaming time is spent on my 360 instead of my ps3. all i use my ps3 for is blurays and dvd's (for the upscaling), streaming videos from my laptop, and exclusive titles (metal gear, uncharted, etc).

Face Kicker: Can you elaborate on what's the big difference between those controllers? I own PS3 and been happy with it for about 6 years now. Granted I don't own XBOX or never have.

Im most likely gonna buy PS4 when it will be on sale. Looks GOOOD! =)

POWERFUL POWERFUL SYSTEM. Easily trumps the next XBox's leaked specs. Sony won't block used games. Microsoft said they will.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/20/playstation-conversation-ps4-is-a-technical-behemoth

8 GB Unified Memory

Dual-Shock 4

GDDR 5

Suspend/Resume Games

Background Downloads

Downloadable Games playable WHILE PLAYING

Hit "Share", Tag Footage, Upload While playing... Even livestream your playing with friends

Connectivity to mobile devices - Vita, smartphones, tablets

Predict purchases, predownloaded. Minority Report

GAIKAI

Hit X to try, Buy only what you love

Remote Play- Goal is all PS4 games on Vita.

No latency. Precision Control

Playstation Plus Confirmed

STREAMING BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY. EVERYWHERE.

Cloud services released in Phases.

http://s16.postimage.org/jxujvct9x/console.png

http://s12.postimage.org/kr1exub9p/controller.png

in game footage of some games

http://i.minus.com/ibp2LYnmQJjEkC.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

http://www.abload.de/img/deepdown-16-7fps-290-1iosm.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

new Dual Shock 4 controller in itself is amazing

(copy and pasted from http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221b_e.pdf)

Wireless Controller for PlayStation®4 (DUALSHOCK®4)

Utilizing a similar design as the popular Wireless Controller for PlayStation®3(DUALSHOCK®3), DUALSHOCK®4 features new innovations to deliver better gaming experiences. DUALSHOCK®4 incorporates a new highly sensitive six-axis sensor, as well as a touch pad located on the front of the controller, which offers gamers completely new ways to play and interact with games.

DUALSHOCK®4 features a light bar on the top with three color LEDs that illuminate in various colors. The light bar illuminates to match the color of characters in a game to offer a simpler, more friendly way to identify players, even when playing side by side. The light bar also changes patterns during gameplay to provide useful information to gamers, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken major damage.

In addition, DUALSHOCK®4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller. Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.

2-2-2-2 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES WIRELESS CONTROLLER FOR

PLAYSTATION®4 (DUALSHOCK®4) AND PLAYSTATION®4 EYE

2/4

While integrating “SELECT” and “START” buttons on DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless controller into a new “OPTIONS button”, DUALSHOCK®4 is newly equipped with a “SHARE button” to further enhance PS4’s social capabilities. The “SHARE button” allows gamers to easily broadcast their gameplay in real-time to friends through internet streaming services such as Ustream. Users can also share their triumphs and accomplishments by uploading video gameplay to Facebook with the “SHARE button”. Unlike streaming content via PC, users no longer have to convert data formats of their recorded gameplay, but can share it with ease. Additionally, gamers can charge DUALSHOCK®4 while PS4 is on standby or through a dedicated charging station. For convenience, YYY can also be charged with smartphone chargers via USB.

During the creation of DUALSHOCK®4, Sony Computer Entertainment worked with key partners in the development community to improve the feel of the left / right sticks and the trigger buttons, the result is a much tighter sense of control over in-game actions.

PlayStation®4 Eye

PlayStation®4 Eye, a newly developed camera for PS4 incorporates two high-sensitive cameras that have wide-angle lenses with 85-degree diagonal angle views which can recognize the depth of space precisely. This enables PlayStation®4 Eye to cut out the image of player from background, or to grasp players’ position in front and behind, further broadening the ways to enjoy games. Incorporated four microphones are also capable of accurate sound detection and source origination. In addition, users will be able to login to their PS4 with face recognition and are capable of using their own body movements or voices to enjoy games more intuitively. Furthermore, PlayStation®4 Eye senses the color of DUALSHOCK®4’s light bar to judge the positions of multiple players, and set characters in the same positions or let a character talk to a particular player, enabling players to enjoy games in new way. PlayStation®4 Eye also supports PlayStation®Move motion controller. It detects the motion of PS Move more precisely, and reflects players’ in-game motion more accurately than ever.

SCE will announce new details of PS4 and its robust lineup of games from 3rd party developers and publishers, the independent gaming community and SCE Worldwide Studios, as well as further enhancements to the entire PlayStation ecosystem between now and the holiday 2013 launch.

###

3-3-3-3 SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES WIRELESS CONTROLLER FOR

PLAYSTATION®4 (DUALSHOCK®4) AND PLAYSTATION®4 EYE

3/4

< Wireless Controller for PlayStation®4 (DUALSHOCK®4)>

External Dimensions

Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Weight

Approx. 210g (tentative)

Keys / Switches

PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2 button, Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3 button, Pad Button

Touch Pad

2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type

Motion Sensor

Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)

Other Features

Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker

Ports

USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack

Wireless Communication

Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR

Battery

Type

Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery

Voltage

DC3.7V (tentative)

Capacity

1000mAh (tentative)

<PlayStation®4 Eye>

External Dimension

Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)

Weight

Approx. 183g (tentative)

Video Pixel

(Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2

Video Frame Rate

1280x800 pixel @ 60fps 640x400 pixel @ 120fps 320x192 pixel @ 240fps

Video Format

RAW, YUV (uncompressed)

Lens

Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus

Capture Range

30cm~∞

Field-of-View

85°

Microphone

4 Channel Microphone Array

Connection Type

PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)

Cable Length

Approx. 2m (tentative)

Microsoft will really have to come up for something special to compete with Sony's PS4. If they decide to delay their console to make improvements, PS4 will take a big lead at the start.

yeah but MS is much better at marketing than sony. sony also shot themselves in the foot by starting out with a $600 price tag on the ps3; did they announce price points yet on the ps4?

Face Kicker: Can you elaborate on what's the big difference between those controllers? I own PS3 and been happy with it for about 6 years now. Granted I don't own XBOX or never have.

Im most likely gonna buy PS4 when it will be on sale. Looks GOOOD! =)

the ps3 controller makes my hands start to cramp/hurt after about 30-45 minutes, and my hands are pretty average for an adult male (maybe a bit larger than average). it was probably designed for (generally) smaller asian and children's hands, whereas the xbox controller was designed more for all hand sizes. i also like the triggers and bumper buttons a lot more than the related buttons on the ps3 controller (R1/R2, L1/L2), especially for shooters and driving games. the xbox triggers also have more range of motion so you have more precise control. the only huge advantage that the ps3 controller has is the d-pad, which is lightyears better than the shitty one on the xbox controller (although it's hardly noticeable in any games other than fighters like mortal kombat/tekken/etc, where you use the d-pad instead of the joystick for movement).

i'll probably wait about 6 months after it's launched before i get one, just to make sure the launch consoles don't have any problems, and because i'll probably be able to get it for at least 50-75 bucks cheaper.

in game footage of some games

http://i.minus.com/ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

i will guarantee you that no ingame footage will look like that. i still remember when they first announced ps3 and showed "ingame" footage of killzone...let me tell you...it looked nothing like the game that ended up being released.

also...dont wanna sound like a hater, but i dont see anything all that groundbreaking with the controller. we'll see...it seems like theyre trying to make the console really easy to work for, which is good. everything i seem to read says the ps3 was the most difficult to program for, which is why its full potential was never really realized by a lot of games.

i'm actually a little upset they didnt actually change the controller design more. for me...the ps3 controller is more uncomfortable than the 360...or even the old gamecube controllers, heh. i hate how the left stick is on the bottom too. at least they have indents on the actual analog sticks though.

i dont foresee myself buying any next gen console. i look forward to seeing the actual console itself and how games look on it though.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/whats-new-with-sonys-dualshock-4

In order to accomodate the new touch pad and integrated LED, Sony has had to adjust the overall layout and design of the DualShock 4, while also making some long-requested improvements. While not drastically larger — in fact, the two share similar dimensions — Sony has altered the grips and layout to give more surface area in the center. The handles appear to have been widened and shaped to make it more attuned to the shape of a player's hands, and the thumbsticks now sport convex pads with distinct outer ridges. The materials used on the bottom of the controller are also notably textured.

In terms of weight, the DualShock 4 adds a bit of heft to the DualShock 3, going from from 6.77 ounces to to 7.4 ounces. It's important to note, however, that Sony has cautioned that all of the device's specs are subject to change and the overall impact to the in-hand experience could be negligible.

In Sony's push toward a bold new era of social integration, it's done away with the long-standing Start and Select buttons in favor of Share and Options buttons. As we know, the Share button is being used to access the PS4's new social features, such as live video streaming, spectator modes, and PSN profiles. The functionality of the new Options button, however, is likely to be simply that of in-game menu access similar to the prior purpose of the Start button.

For the last two generations, the DualShock line has maintained a pretty consistent d-pad design, consisting of small, flat, low-profile directional buttons. Now, however, Sony is giving the DualShock 4 a slightly larger d-pad design with more angular buttons. The benefit, it would seem, would be better tactile distinction from the other buttons and a superior grip.

The leaked DualShock 4 prototype wasn't exactly a confidence-inspiring visual with its gaudy cylindrical LED and blank black touch pad. Fortunately, the final product is a lot easier on the eyes. The touch pad now sports a textured finish and is no longer recessed into the design, but rather stands slightly above the rest of the frame, making it easier to distinguish and more visually recognizable. The LED is no longer juts out at the top of the controller, but rather is built into the frame itself. It has also been given a more stylized triangular shape instead of a bland rounded bar.

hey virt, what do you mean about blocking used games? like how you need the (one-time use) code that came in the box to unlock online play in some games (or have to pay 10 bucks to unlock it if you don't have the code)?

dunno how they are going to do it

thumb stick locations are perfect for the ps3 :) i don't like that forward left thumbstick on the 360. feels awkward, especially when playing sports games.

the forward position is in a much more natural hand position though, which makes it more comfortable (for me, anyway). the awkwardness you feel is probably just cuz you're so used to the dualshock.