Alejandro Scott vs Texas Pete at Just Bleed 17 - an in depth preview

Slice

Hi guys; today I will looking at somewhat of a super fight in the fast rising 280K ID org Just Bleed. The org is based in Los Angeles and is run by Jake Bremner; who is doing an excellent job, Just Bleed is now ranked 25th in the world. This fight will be between Alejandro Scott (283355) and Texas Pete (260356); it is seen as a pivotal moment in the organisation. Make sure you all tune in as it's an extremely interesting fight, between two guys with very interesting stories.

When is it? Christmas Eve (24th December)

Where is it? Los Angeles

The event name? Just Bleed 17

Where can you find it? Here: http://www.mmatycoon.com/eventcommentary.php?EvtID=876187

Background:

This highly anticipated match up will be pitting the old guard vs the young lion; or the old lion vs the young dinosaur? (Maybe Vitor Belfort can help me out with that one).

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14366146262833.png

Alejandro Scott

Record: 5-2 Wins: 1 TKO/KOs 4 Submissions 0 Decisions Losses: 1 TKO/KOs 1 Submission 0 Decisions

Accomplishments: TWGC 11 Division 3 Finalist (265+ lbs) MMA Tycoon's 1st ever The Ultimate Fighter winner

The young lion in question; is the winner of the Light Heavyweight TUF tournament; “The Jobless Surfer” Alejandro Scott, I’m guessing he now has a job. The guy may only be 20 years of age; but he started fighting at 16 under manager in exile Moyses Mattos, where he went 1-2, so he has now been plying his craft for a long time. He has now turned into a lean mean submission machine under Tycoon celebrity and long standing member of Vendetta; The C Bomb. He is 4-0 since his change in management, and has seen very little adversity in this time; excluding the TUF finale, where Michael Brophy frustrated him with some decent striking in the first round, before Scott’s clinical submission game took over.

He does have a boxing background; something often overlooked recently due to his ability to excel on the mat. He competed at Super Heavyweight in TWGC at one time; where he managed to out-grapple 4 considerably larger opponents, before losing a decision in the final of the competition.

Alejandro Scott was dominant in his first fight at Just Bleed; dismantling the considerably smaller Adlet Mayer with his grappling skills. Therefore he is riding an incredible wave on momentum; can he continue it against undoubtedly his most difficult opponent yet?

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/28/28w13.jpg

Texas Pete

Record: 25-3 Wins: 22 TKO/KOs 0 Submissions 3 Decisions Losses: 3 TKO/KOs 0 Submissions 0 Decisions

Accomplishments: Former La Grande Promotions Light Heavyweight Champion (4 Defenses) Former Highland Games Light Heavyweight Champion (4 Defenses) Undefeated in his first 12 MMA fights

The older man; who is really getting on in years (In MMA terms) is the 34 year old Texas Pete. Pete is a 17 fight veteran of reputable organisation The Highland Games. He was the HG Light Heavyweight Champion for 4 successful title defences, flooring everyone in his path, until the now champion Jake Theodorou stopped him in his tracks.

Texas Pete has been fighting 10 years but his fighting style has almost always been the same; excellent striking diversity, deadly punches and kicks. His striking defence has got better over time undoubtedly, along with his ability to defend the takedown; which was really highlighted in his Highland Games 205 fight with Ludko Struja. Whilst Pete was taken down by Struja; he was able to thwart all but 3 out of 24 total attempts, sapping Struja’s energy, and allowing Pete to tee off on the feet, taking a close unanimous decision win. He also showed that even though his preference is to fight at kickboxing distance, he has some serious strikes in clinch if his opponent wishes to take it there. He teed off with some big punches to the body and head, going a long way to stopping opponents being happy to clinch up with him. It is arguable he is still improving even at this late age, as he did begin his MMA career later than most.

Texas Pete has now been looking for a new home since the dormancy of The Highland Games, and has decided to settle on Just Bleed for the moment, which gives us the opportunity to breakdown this incredibly interesting fight.

Bleacher Report Style Head to Toe Breakdown

Striking:

A look at their records would suggest that Texas Pete has a large advantage in this department; however the records do not tell the entire story. Texas Pete has an excellent finishing instinct and can floor opponents with a variety of strikes. Nobody should be sleeping on the striking of Alejandro Scott though, especially his boxing. Boxing of course was his original background when he entered the MMA Tycoon world aged 16. It was said that Scott could choose either professional boxing or MMA, and he chose MMA. He does not have the pure power of Pete, however of his most recent 4 fight winning streak, only Michael Brophy who was 8-0 at the time has actually out-struck Scott. This proves that his ability in boxing is still very much present and will be there for him if he needs it during this fight.

The difference maker for me here is that Scott’s striking is more a means to an end, a distraction which allows him to get the fight to the ground. On the other hand Texas Pete is always trying to take his opponents head off and more often than not he succeeds. Texas Pete’s striking is his go to move; the main way he wins fights, and he wins a lot of fights. For that reason, I give him a slight advantage.

Advantage: Texas Pete

Wrestling:

This is an interesting category as it is not where either guy excels; however it is likely to be the key to the fight. Alejandro Scott has a decent clinch game, he digs underhooks well, in order to pull opponents into his guard on the mat. However; he has never shown much of a takedown game, all of his submissions have come from exchanges where he has pulled guard, swept his opponent then found the submission from the top. He does not typically shoot for takedowns, and it is debatable for how long his ground game can be successful if this continues to be the case.

Texas Pete is a good wrestler in his own right. He does not use it offensively; but he does have some extremely effective takedown defence. This will be a five round fight; and the last time Pete went the full five rounds, he used excellent takedown defence and stuffed over 90% of the 24 attempts on him in this period. He is very hard to take down; and he will need to use the skills he has in this area to the maximum in order to get his hand raised in the fight. Pete also defends well from the clinch, as well as being able to land his own strikes from there, which could create problems for his opponent pulling guard. Scott has done perfectly ok pulling guard so far; so he has not been exposed as a bad wrestler, without being an outstanding one. Texas Pete has shown excellent defensive ability, but no wrestling offense whatsoever, which leads me to say this category is just about even. However we should all be prepared for surprises, because no-one really knows what will happen regarding wrestling here.

Advantage: Even

Ground Game/Submissions:

This is quite comfortably the most lopsided area of the fight. Alejandro Scott is a black belt who is dominant on the ground every single time he fights. He has really made a transition from a decent boxer, to an awesome jiu jitsu practitioner. He has deadly submissions; and Texas Pete will be looking to avoid the ground game as much as humanly possible a la Ed Gennero, in order to win the fight. As previously mentioned; Scott has submitted his last 4 opponents, and will be looking to make it 5; a submission is his most plausible root to victory by a considerable distance in this fight.

Texas Pete has a serviceable defensive ground game; he has never been submitted. However; many of his fights have not been to the ground due to his striking and takedown defence. It would also be worth mentioning that 2 of Texas Pete’s 3 losses were due to being taken down and dominated on the ground. All of these factors combined justify a large edge for Alejandro Scott.

Advantage: Alejandro Scott

Keys To Victory - Alejandro Scott:

Mix up his strikes: Scott’s game plan will be to get the fight to the ground; but he will need to make Texas Pete think about his boxing in order to surprise the bigger; older stronger man with takedowns. He must avoid becoming predictable as the fight goes on.

Use variety with Takedowns: Scott’s plan in his recent fights has been to establish the clinch and to pull guard in order to take his opponents to the ground. He has never faced an opponent with the clinch game and physicality of Pete, so he must be prepared to try different methods, such as a double leg from the outside; if his original approach does not work or else the situation could get sticky for him very fast.

Aggression: This is not to say he should go gung ho looking for the finish; but if he can entice Texas Pete into getting into a wild brawl; Scott may be able to use the chaos in order to initiate a scramble and catch Pete in a submission.

Keys To Victory – Texas Pete:

Control the Distance: Athleticism and experience should be on Pete’s side here; he needs to establish a distance where he can throw his punches and kicks early, not allowing Scott to tie up with him; and making him pay when he tries to.

Attack the Body: Texas Pete must fight the long game here; he will need to dictate the pace of the fight. If he can attack Alejandro Scott’s body early; this will sap the energy from his opponent, and will make it harder for Scott to get him to the mat as the fight transpires.

Patience: Texas Pete has a significant power advantage; and he should try to use it to finish this fight; however he cannot over commit, or it will give Scott more opportunity to take him down and initiate ground exchanges. Texas Pete will be best off controlling this fight from the outside; not fighting at a frantic pace, but gradually turning up the pressure as the fight wears on.

Preview and Prediction:

This fight is a seriously tough one to call for a few reasons; Alejandro Scott has fought lesser opposition who were much closer to his own age, he beat all of them, but it is hard to gauge what level he is really at with his all around MMA game. The result really hinges on whether Scott can take his opponent down. Texas Pete has been beaten on the ground twice before; but neither of those defeats ended in submission and they were both at the hands of Jake Theodorou, who is a much superior wrestler to Alejandro Scott. In striking; it is a relatively even fight; it is likely to be a boxing match on the feet; however Texas Pete will be able to mix in his kicks as well. Scott will be trying to initiate a clinch or a takedown in order to utilise his extremely prolific jiu jitsu game. I believe at first he will have a problem with this; Pete will pepper him in the clinch and will not be taken down. Pete is bigger and stronger after all; meaning he will not be bullied in the clinch. However the fight is likely to be quite gruelling which means by the middle of the 3rd round, both guys will start to tire out a lot. I believe Scott’s persistence will eventually shine through; he will find a way to get the fight to the ground and impose his dominant grappling game. I think he eventually gets the tap in the 4th round after an epic fight.

Prediction: Alejandro Scott via Submission (Round 4)

• Upvote 11

That was a great preview to read. Hope to see more of it in the future.

I would actually like to do more; make it something that happens on special Big fight/super fight type occasions. But this is completely dependent on org owners actually wanting it done of course.

Fair play that must have taken some time to put together, keep up the good work mate

It did mate believe me! I liked doing it but i'm glad it's over; now I need to get interviews with both these guys lol

• Upvote 1

Would be nice to see a poll to see who the readers think will win.

Anybody bold enough to make a prediction or a bet?

Texas Pete by TKO in Round 2......gambling now are we ??

One of the best preview I've seen on forum. I think you will earn some votes for WOTY. And I will try to use your preview as my template in the future.

Thank you very much for the kind words! It is a good template; but only for a main event; doing a whole card like this would take weeks!

I think Texas Pete will make a stupid mistake and will try to clinch at some point, falling into a trap. He must stay at distance to win.

What a damn good preview.

Thank you for the praise Bjorn; always appreciate it.

Would be nice to see a poll to see who the readers think will win.

Anybody bold enough to make a prediction or a bet?

I love the fact that this has turned into a predictions poll; this is something which should definitely happen more often on here