Why are knees/elbows useless at a higher level?

I think elbows and knees are underrated, so I decided to create a muay khao styled fighter early on when I joined the game. They seem to work well at a lower level, but everyone tells me as you progress into better organisations and fight more all-round fighters they become essentially useless. Why is this? Do they just land less than punches, or does a fighters KO power not translate into clinch fighting? Can someone give a good explanation?

Fighter in question if anyones wondering, took out a much better fighter in his last fighter with a knee/elbow strategy: https://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=356377

• Upvote 3

Well, they both got upgraded a bit by Mike, but still it is maybe more effective having punches since they can be used both at standup and clinch. I don't have much experience with elbows/knees, but I know elbows are doing a good job opening cuts vs opponent who has bad cuts hidden, especially at 205/265. Every skill could help having it, but don't forget you are working with a skill cap so it is all about optimization when looking for the best results.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Basically because of the skill cap, it's just better to put your skills elsewhere. Any high level fighter should have good clinch/wrestling/MT so it loses effectiveness at the higher levels because most fighters will have a defense for it. So instead of training elbows and knees which only work in the clinch and are relatively easy to defend at the higher levels, it's just more efficient to train punches/kicks.
That being said, don't sleep on elbows and knees in the lower levels. Before people train up the proper defense for the clinch, they can be devastating.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...