Mayweather vs Pacquiao ?

bjornmma1

Mayweather has the advantage and will likely win a decision, but maybe he knows something we don't. He has been doing everything possible to avoid this fight. Paquiao's aggressive style is what is needed, but his KO power isn't what it used to be. I don't think he can put Mayweather out.

This. I think Mayweather wins a decision, I think 5+ years ago, Paquiao finishes him, or really hurts him, but I just don't see Manny winning this one. I'll be rooting for him though.

• Upvote 1

My question is going to be start time.. PPV boxing matches are notorious for running into the godawful early hours in the morning with all the pomp and circumstance.. this one with all the bullshit (2 ring announcers, parades upon entry, etc) might not start until midnight eastern.

Pacquiao since I'm Filipino.

Mayweather is genius to delay this fight and wait for a past-his-prime Pacman. Genius enough to win? Hopefully not.

Everyone keeps saying this, im assuming Mayweather must be in his prime... In my opinion Mayweather's PRIME has been gone, he was hit in the cotto fight more than hes ever been hit. He just hasnt lost like everyone wanted him to. Floyd's prime was against Gatti, Judah, Hatton & Marquez (somewhere between 05-09) Pacquiao's prime was from De La Hoya till an unfocused Timothy Bradley fight (When he cared about watching the Boston Celtics playoff game more than the guy in front of him (08-12) in which i still think he tooled bradley. Pacman's "prime" was more recent than mayweather's "prime."

Is Mayweather not 38 years old? 2 years older than Pacquiao?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This. I think Mayweather wins a decision, I think 5+ years ago, Paquiao finishes him, or really hurts him, but I just don't see Manny winning this one. I'll be rooting for him though.

You saved me writing my own comment because I agree with yours exactly in every way. I will be watching though, just hoping for Mayweather to get caught out.

Even me, a fellow Filipino, has doubts on whether Pac can finish Mayweather. If he can't TKO or at least score a couple of knockdowns, I doubt Pac can win on points against Mayweather. Either UD or "controversial" split decision win for Mayweather.

I do hope though that Manny wins. LOL. Besides all that Filipino "Nationalism", I just don't like Mayweather as a person. A boxer yes. But as a human being. Well that's different.

Couple of thoughts on the general thread. I don't think Mayweather ever was scared of Pacquiao. As fans, we all reckon Pacquiao is an underdog so you have to think Mayweather certainly would too. Mayweather just likes to be the boss before fights, that's why he was talking to Pacquiao directly a few months ago as opposed to talking to Arum. He wanted to undercut Arum and make Pacquiao say "I don't care about promotion, I want this fight". So yeah, it was Mayweather's fault that the fight didn't happen a while ago, but not because he was scared, he's just a dick.

I HATE people acting like these guys are past their prime. Mayweather is STILL defeating opponents easily. I reckon Maidana's style might always be a difficult style for Mayweather, but Mayweather's outclassing guys like Cotto, Alvarez, Guerrero etc., all of which are still top ranked guys. People say Pacquiao is past his prime; how me a prime Pacquiao that dominated JMM? Imo, the fight he got knocked out is by a LANDSLIDE the first time Pacquiao ever even looked good against him. Since then, he shutout Bradley who the judges stupidly made beat Pac previously, he easily kicked Rios' ass, in a bad fight he still showed the skill difference against Algieri by knocking him down at least legitimately 4 times. Pacquiao looked as good as ever against Rios and he finally showed the knowledge to deal with a fighter running away from him against Algieri (for example, struggling to land on a running Mosely).

These are still the top two fighters in the world today, they are both looking solid against top guys. People saying this fight shouldnt happen now or bullshit just don't seem to want to enjoy things. This fight imo is the biggest sporting event of all time. I can't fucking wait.

• Upvote 1

Couple of thoughts on the general thread. I don't think Mayweather ever was scared of Pacquiao. As fans, we all reckon Pacquiao is an underdog so you have to think Mayweather certainly would too. Mayweather just likes to be the boss before fights, that's why he was talking to Pacquiao directly a few months ago as opposed to talking to Arum. He wanted to undercut Arum and make Pacquiao say "I don't care about promotion, I want this fight". So yeah, it was Mayweather's fault that the fight didn't happen a while ago, but not because he was scared, he's just a dick.

I HATE people acting like these guys are past their prime. Mayweather is STILL defeating opponents easily. I reckon Maidana's style might always be a difficult style for Mayweather, but Mayweather's outclassing guys like Cotto, Alvarez, Guerrero etc., all of which are still top ranked guys. People say Pacquiao is past his prime; how me a prime Pacquiao that dominated JMM? Imo, the fight he got knocked out is by a LANDSLIDE the first time Pacquiao ever even looked good against him. Since then, he shutout Bradley who the judges stupidly made beat Pac previously, he easily kicked Rios' ass, in a bad fight he still showed the skill difference against Algieri by knocking him down at least legitimately 4 times. Pacquiao looked as good as ever against Rios and he finally showed the knowledge to deal with a fighter running away from him against Algieri (for example, struggling to land on a running Mosely).

These are still the top two fighters in the world today, they are both looking solid against top guys. People saying this fight shouldnt happen now or bullshit just don't seem to want to enjoy things. This fight imo is the biggest sporting event of all time. I can't fucking wait.

It is one of the best things in boxing for years no doubt (though boxing has been so shitty for decades and I wonder if that is really any praise at all). I don't think anyone believes Pacman is totally finished. It's just that he's been proved human and so people are reluctant to believe in the fairy tale win against a guy that is a great fighter and has the right style to beat him. It's a shame because this fight would have been more of an event some time ago. I wasn't there for the negotiations but I would bet that Mayweather was the one doing the avoiding back then.

Still hasn't started. Apparently the PPV isn't working for people! Ho ho.

The Philippines national anthem is cheerful. Jamie Foxx is murdering the US anthem..

Michael Buffer is definitely less good than his bro.

Manny is on his way in..! The fans are cheering. He's fist bumping the crowd.

Floyd coming in, the crowd are booing.

Michael Buffer sounds like the compere from Jack Rabbit Slims in Pulp Fiction..

The ref is telling them - the world has been waiting for this, you are both champions, god bless you!

Here we goooo!!

• Upvote 1

It's sucks to watch Mayweather fights with my Mexican family. An hour before the fight started they were just talking so much shit about Mayweather and it just escalated from there. It got more and more racist. Apparently if you're not biting down on your mouth guard and throwing haymakers wildly you're not a real fighter. It was a decent fight and I had Mayweather winning pretty easily.

• Upvote 3

I had it 9-3 Mayweather & predicted 8-4 Mayweather so was pretty much as expected. I though Pac would look better early on than he did

I agree pretty much as expected; however, I never thought pac would do well at any point in the fight. As I said early on in this thread, he is a very awkward fighter, although he is fierce. Problem is as Jacman mentioned about his familie's thoughts, he had a bunch of opponents stand right in front of him in his career so stands to reason he got a lot of knock outs. I knew he would never be able to hit Floyd clean; although he landed a decent shot in the 3rd round. Can't remember anymore than that.

I agree pretty much as expected; however, I never thought pac would do well at any point in the fight. As I said early on in this thread, he is a very awkward fighter, although he is fierce. Problem is as Jacman mentioned about his familie's thoughts, he had a bunch of opponents stand right in front of him in his career so stands to reason he got a lot of knock outs. I knew he would never be able to hit Floyd clean; although he landed a decent shot in the 3rd round. Can't remember anymore than that.

Did you catch what Pacman said after the fight; they asked him why he had so much trouble and he said "Yeah I couldn't catch him, he was moving to much". NO SHIT Manny that's what Boxers do. Everybody would look great if they fought guys like Brandon "The Walking Punching Bag" Rios.

• Upvote 1