Florida

Steel

I haven't been to the States since the 90s.

Now, the wife has decided that as my daughters will be 10 and 14 next birthdays, I am having to pay for a fucking 4 bedroom villa in Davenport Florida, I think!, this will give em a room each, and fit the grandparents in (one set anyway). My old man lives in France and is married to French chick and basically the fuckers gone French 100%.

Anyway, will I enjoy it? walking around theme parks that cost me something like £500 per ticket for 2 weeks all access, walking fucking miles, having to go on roller coasters, having to listen to people get over excited over shit, watching people eat shit, seeing fat fuckers eating shit, and me putting weight on eating shit. (I cycle, I'm 12st I can get up hills, got 100 mile sportive when I get back, 13st of alligator burger aint gonna help 15% climbs).

Next June, its booked.

I figured Id look for Karter and then slap him silly, what else is there to do, is it good over there?

• Upvote 2

I am so picturing you as Karl Pilkington now hahaha. Murica is awesome for a holiday (I'm going in a couple weeks) but I've never done Florida, good luck though on what sounds like your idea of a nightmare lol

Now, the wife has decided that as my daughters will be 10 and 14 next birthdays, I am having to pay for a fucking 4 bedroom villa in Davenport Florida, I think!, this will give em a room each, and fit the grandparents in (one set anyway). My old man lives in France and is married to French chick and basically the fuckers gone French 100%.

Anyway, will I enjoy it? walking around theme parks that cost me something like £500 per ticket for 2 weeks all access, walking fucking miles, having to go on roller coasters, having to listen to people get over excited over shit, watching people eat shit, seeing fat fuckers eating shit, and me putting weight on eating shit. (I cycle, I'm 12st I can get up hills, got 100 mile sportive when I get back, 13st of alligator burger aint gonna help 15% climbs).

Next June, its booked.

I figured Id look for Karter and then slap him silly, what else is there to do, is it good over there?

You sound like a really nice and fun guy.

Douchebag.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Next June, its booked.

Just avoid Florida Man! He's one wild and crazy cat. It is beautiful but extremely humid. Women hardly wear any clothes in Southern Florida. Better wear your sunglasses so the wife doesn't trip. ☺

The parks are fun but crowded as shit and you're going to be standing in line for a while for larger attractions. Universal and Epcot are super cool IMO. Magic Kingdom was bleh compared to Disneyland. Some great waterparks though! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

And the cocaine! Lol.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok , this week I've done 3k on park passes and nearly a grand on fucking mini bus. Paid for 6 of us. Gone for Disney and Universal combo but probably do a glades trip and the girls like scuba diving so I'll have to fork out for that ? Any recommendation?

Question, pre paid cards? Anyone any experience on this stuff?

CTW collision waiver damage , seems the general policy with the car has cover but it's recommended I get a separate policy for 85 quid to cover me smashing it up?

Anything else I need?

Does anyone know how many calories are burned walking the parks each day?

I have family in FL, but I won't go there anytime between April and December. Their weather is great in Jan/Feb, but fuck that humidity and daily rain the rest of the year, and I won't fly anywhere around the holidays because i fucking hate airports and packed airplanes.

As to if you'll enjoy yourself at the Disney stuff, well it largely depends on your tolerance for large crowds, standing in lines, and thousands of children (and activities primarily aimed at an audience under 10 years old). If you have some flexibility in your schedule, i'd suggest taking a drive down to the Keys. It would likely need to be an overnight trip if you wanted to go all the way down to Key West (that'd be like a 6 hour drive each way), but you could go through the everglades on the way and do a fanboat tour and check out the gators, which is pretty cool. And/Or you could go through Miami/South Beach, which can be pretty cool. You can always rent a boat anywhere along the way, or go to a scuba or snorkeling place (watch out for sharks :))

Oh, and regarding the insurance for the rental, you may want to check with your credit card company. I don't know about European cards, but most good credit cards in America automatically give you free rental insurance, if you pay the rental fee using the card.

Bring a shitload of sunscreen wherever you go, and mosquito repellent when you go out of the city.

• 4 months later...

Over here, like last night, it was hotter after the sun went down.

Day 1

Really great roads , no pot holes like the UK and no congestion.

Super friendly people.

Didn't hear anyone swear in Magic Kingdom, in the U.K. theme parks get the usual social crap that throw fag buts on the floor , swear in front of kids and have tattoos with 'made in Salford ' on the backs of their necks or some other benefits street shit.

Americans seem more civilised and they are no fatter than brits.

Right now I prefer Americans, apart from JLP obviously, there's always an exception to the rule.

Not seen Chris Karter but not seen many or infact any ginger Americans yet so I'm wondering if I mention his name in the bars they'll know the lad.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Interesting. I'll look forward to more reports. Post pics, too.

Im in Tampa Bay area, not too far from you.

You're in Tampa Bay too?

Animal kingdom was better IMO the safari tour was excellent and the rides more accessible even without fast passes.

Everest expedition ride made me feel like crap.

Saw some American gingers but no one as short as Chris Karter.

Had a beer in Celebration on the way back it's a beautiful little place nice cafes etc very scenic.

Waiter took the piss out of my 10 year old daughter for knocking her drink over and she had him in a death stare for a while which got a chuckle.

So few cars on the roads even in the morning when you'd expect them.

Last night ate at Appelbys , had steak medium rare and they nailed it.

I'm becoming quite pro American once again the queuing was civilised whereas in the U.K. you can have altercations just parking.

• Upvote 1

Head west and go to Busch Gardens, spend a weekend and go to Adventure Island too.