Fantasy Baseball 2018

Deuce7

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Website??

• ESPN
    • Yahoo
    • Other

I cant make the current time. Saturday morning is best for me. Sunday would have to be a few hours later then the current draft for me to make it.

I'm good with Saturday if everyone else is

We have 8 teams signed up. Waiting on two more. Looks like the draft will be tomorrow (April 1st) at 7pm EST

Any idea which two teams are missing, so I can message them??? - I think I figured out the two teams. Messages have been sent. Worst case, we move forward with 8 teams I guess........

I was one of the missing teams and just signed up. Im good with Sunday night if it still stands. Sorry for the delay signing up, Ill be more active now that its set up on my yahoo app.

We have 8 teams signed up. Waiting on two more. Looks like the draft will be tomorrow (April 1st) at 7pm EST

Any idea which two teams are missing, so I can message them??? - I think I figured out the two teams. Messages have been sent. Worst case, we move forward with 8 teams I guess........

Nope. 4pm PST, 7pm EST

The count down timer was off too. At 2pm EST it was saying 2 hours till draft. I was good either way, but wanted to double-check.

The count down timer was off too. At 2pm EST it was saying 2 hours till draft. I was good either way, but wanted to double-check.

Had me worried. I just went back and checked it for a third time, lol. Now I'm 110% sure draft is at 4pm PST, 7pm EST.

If the last team isn't created shortly before the draft I will delete the auto-team and we'll roll with 8 teams.

• Upvote 1

Also wanted to give everyone a heads up that it is a weekly roster edit not daily like the last few seasons. Too many complaints about keeping up with daily edits over the last two years.

I completely forgot about the draft, now I'm really pissed. I auto drafted Goldy though so that makes up for it a little. Good luck this season everybody, only 8 teams so everybody is loaded.

Had a feeling you would like that pick, lol

Better than bad

Top 3 Picks: Max Scherzer, Mookie Betts, Jose Ramirez

Steal: Andrew Benintendi (7th Round)

Sleeper: Jake Lamb (22nd Round)

Rundown: Better than bad certainly didn't feel the strain of having the final pick in the first round with Max Scherzer falling into their lap. Arguably the best pitcher in the game (Clayton Kershaw supporters might say otherwise), you can go ahead and pencil Scherzer in for 200+ strikeouts and another Cy Young worthy performance which should give Better than bad a leg up on at least one category. With the selection of Mookie Betts, Better than bad is hoping for a return to his 2016 form when Betts lead the Red Sox offense in several offensive categories. I don't expect anything less then .300 Avg, 25HRs, 90+ RBIs and 20 SBs. One of the most underrated players of last season, Jose Ramirez has shown that he is an all-around offensive force with speed and power. If his numbers are close to what Betts puts up, don't be surprised. Selecting his second Red Sox outfielder in Andrew Benintendi, Better than bad is essentially getting a younger version of Mookie Betts (hits for solid average, a little power and great speed), but can he avoid the "sophomore slump" will be the big question this coming season. I have no idea how Jake Lamb fell as far as he did, but seeing his 30HRs and 105RBIs fall to the 22nd round might make Lamb the ultimate sleeper this season.

Conclusion: The pitching side will rack up the strikeouts all season long behind the two Nationals' aces. Better than bad is loaded with several all-around offensive players, but not many that are good at one thing. That can be good or bad, only time will tell.

Draft Grade: B

• Upvote 2

IWantToRideMyBrycle

Top 3 Picks: Giancarlo Stanton, Bryce Harper, Noah Syndergaard

Steal: Gerrit Cole (10th Round)

Sleeper: Matt Carpenter (21st Round)

Rundown: IWantToRideMyBrycle had to think it was Christmas when Giancarlo Stanton fell into their lap at pick #7. I don't really need to explain to all of you how good Stanton is, but I'll do it anyway. 59HRs and 132 RBIs...........on the Marlins!! If he can do that in a pitcher's ballpark with a mediocre team, I'm afraid and also very excited to see what he can do in the Bronx with a good team. Just when you think they couldn't be any more dangerous in the HR category, you take a look at Brycle's second pick and it just happens to be the man the team is named for....Bryce Harper. Harper will hit bombs without question, but the real question is which Harper shows up?? The 2016 Harper with a .243 batting average or the 2017 version that hit .319?? So what about their pitching you ask.....well Brycle has power in that department too. Noah Syndergaard is an absolute stud. No other way to put it. The only knock on him is his ability to stay healthy. If he can, he should contend for the strikeout crown this season with Scherzer and Kershaw with easily 200+. It must be nice to be the Astros and Brycle, at least when Gerrit Cole is your #3 starting pitcher. He would be the #1 guy on most teams and yet he fell to the 10th round. Go ahead and pencil him in for 200 innings and around 180-200 strikeouts. Matt Carpenter in the 21st round.........yeah, that happened. Brycle must have felt like he just found an extra $5 in his pocket when the lifeblood of St Louis' offense fell to them in the 21st round.

Conclusion: Did I mention this team is loaded with power?? This team is basically a Steroid Era fan's wet dream if he had to create a team of today's players. Side note: If you can beat IWantToRideMyBrycle in the HR category this season, then you need to go play your local lotto immediately.

Draft Grade: B+

• Upvote 1

Dominators

Top 3 Picks: Trea Turner, Charlie Blackmon, J.D. Martinez

Steal: Madison Bumgarner (9th Round)

Sleeper: Justin Turner (19th Round)

Rundown: "Take the best available player" was the theme to start Dominators draft. In doing so, they picked up the ultra impressive Trea Turner and his lightning quick speed at #6 overall. "Burner" Turner, as he is know to Nationals fans, showcased why he got that nickname by stealing 46 bases in just 98 games last season. Should he stay healthy, he could become the first player to break 70 SBs in a season since Jose Reyes in 2007. Speaking of 40+ base stealers, Charlie Blackmon was Dominators next pick. While he may not use his speed as often as he used to, Blackmon had a breakout season in 2017 by hitting .331 with 37 HRs and 104 RBIs. I would expect his numbers to come back to earth a little bit this year, but .310/30/90 is still pretty damn good. Ahhh yes, now we get to ESPN's new golden boy, J.D Martinez. Let's face it, if fantasy baseball took defensive skill into consideration, Martinez would be towards the bottom of the draft. Luckily for Dominators it doesn't, so enjoy the 35+ HRs and 100 RBIs that Martinez puts up while ESPN drools every time he is at bat. While some might have viewed the pick of Madison Bumgarner as a reach because he'll be out for at least first month and a half, I see it as a smart pick because he will add insurance to an already stacked SP core for Dominators. He may not hit 200 strikeouts, but 12 wins and 170Ks would still be a great season for any pitcher. We'll go ahead and add Justin Turner's name to that injury insurance list. Getting a guy in the 19th round that was a top 25 pick in most fantasy leagues last season.......can't beat that.

Conclusion: Dominators said "pitching is the key to fantasy baseball" and if you look at their full draft you'll see that they truly believe it. Offensively they will struggle, but their pitching heavy team should bail them out of most weeks.

Draft Grade: C+

• Upvote 1

Marvin's Team

Top 3 Picks: Clayton Kershaw, Chris Sale, Manny Machado

Steal: Jonathan Schoop (9th Round)

Sleeper: Scooter Gennett (20th Round)

Rundown: What a way to start a fantasy draft. Marvin's Team was able to draft the two most dominant left-handed pitchers in the game today. Had he not missed a few games due to a back injury, Clayton Kershaw may have had the best season of his career. He was on pace for 20+ Wins and 250+ strikeouts before being bitten by the injury bug. My only real concern is that Kershaw has only pitched a full season once in the last four years (a full season being 33 starts, he made 27 in 2017). Still, he's Clayton Kershaw, so I wouldn't at all be shocked if he manages 20+ Wins, 230+ Ks and an ERA around 2.35. The 2nd part of that left-handed duo is Chris Sale and man what a season he had. It actually could have been better. Had Sale gotten some run support, he easily would have hit 20+ Wins last year. I'd lower my expectations a little for this year, but Sale shouldn't have any issue putting up at least 260Ks and manage to hit that elusive 20 Win plateau. Even the best players have "down years" and Manny Machado is no exception. I should probably mention that his "down year" still looked pretty impressive (.259 AVG, 33HRs and 95RBIs). Marvin's Team should be very excited to know that Machado is in a contract year and we all know most guys play the best seasons of their careers during contract years. When you think power hitter, you normally don't think of a 2nd baseman. Allow Jonathan Schoop to change your mind. Last season, Schoop became only the third 2nd baseman in the last 8 years to have 30+ HRs and 100+ RBIs in the same season. If Schoop wasn't enough to make you look at things differently, enter Scooter Gennett. While his numbers weren't quite as impressive, Gennett almost added his name to that previous list when he hit 27HRs and had 97RBIs.

Conclusion: We learned two things about Marvin's Team during this: 1. They clearly love left-handed starting pitchers (they have 4 of them on their roster) and 2. They might be the only team that can rival IWantToRideMyBrycle in the power hitting department.

Draft Grade: B-

• Upvote 1