Public Gyms (Training Caps Needed)

10thPlanetKT

• 3 weeks later...

This game is pretty brutal to newbies.. I ran a clothing company for months until I was able to afford a private gym. I still have a fighter on my roster that was publicly trained. But, thankfully this is genuinely a cool community as long as youre not a twat. All sorts of managers are willing to help out. If the public gym thing is on the back burner, which it appears that it is, the least we can do as a community is be more proactive with our support for new players. :)

• Upvote 5

Something needs to be done about public gyms to improve the overall game experience for new managers. They start with a lack of cash and a lack of quality training for their fighters which isn't exactly an enticing situation. Training caps could help with the quality of training but that will reduce overall training numbers and could drive up gym prices. I've said this before but I think the only solution is to let more experienced managers have both a private and public gym to help out new players. Public gyms need to be profitable too and new players need to start with more cash to afford training.

• Upvote 3

Something needs to be done about public gyms to improve the overall game experience for new managers. They start with a lack of cash and a lack of quality training for their fighters which isn't exactly an enticing situation. Training caps could help with the quality of training but that will reduce overall training numbers and could drive up gym prices. I've said this before but I think the only solution is to let more experienced managers have both a private and public gym to help out new players. Public gyms need to be profitable too and new players new to start with more cash to afford training.

Yeah for sure something needs to be done & a cap would be the first point of call.

The community about 12 month ago did abit of a rally to open public gyms, i opened one(rambo funded mind lol) but it just wasnt viable to me so i gave it up and started a private gym( i notice that gym now is capped at 24)

Mike can easily implement a 4 max training situation for these gyms & it should be numero uno on his hit list as it will keep people around.

Also maybe a one time deal where if someone stays for a month logging in regular like afew times a week & they have bought VIP there could be a request to reset all fighters they have built so once they know them 2/9/3/1 builds are crap they can start again without the dreaded "i need to waste VIP" i fooked up i give up scenario

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Public gyms don't tell the public... Hey only 5 guys to a session... come back tomorrow.

Communication is key, and if it fails, that's part of the process. Private gyms are for ultimate control of that stuff.

Yes I know that private gyms are for ultimate control already that is why I already have one, been there done that lol. But if you look at the numbers way less than 50% of new users are retained when they play Mma Tycoon for the first time nowadays . I remember when I first started many years ago I didn't know how anything worked and I didn't have VIP so I quit in less than 3 weeks. However last year I rejoined, got a mentor (Tev Clark) from Underground I read all the forums and I learned how to win an progress to the intermediate level. Which is where it becomes more fun because right use of money, sliders, and builds make the difference and it is intriguing. My point is if we have to boost the amount of new players that reach the intermediate level with more quality training because it will make the game more fun and more users will come back everyday to spend their money because on average more fighters can progress faster if an owner can put on manual training caps. Thus making Mike Tycoon happy and the new community happy. I also agree with Action Jackson about being able to own both gyms and increasing the amount of cash because in the start you are pretty much broke and if you don't know how to win to increase your hype and free agent farm or become a top beginning player to get high $ for your project fighters you are screwed. I'm speaking as an ex-newb. Then they quit the game. No bueno.

Yes I know that private gyms are for ultimate control already that is why I already have one, been there done that lol. But if you look at the numbers way less than 50% of new users are retained when they play Mma Tycoon for the first time nowadays . I remember when I first started many years ago I didn't know how anything worked and I didn't have VIP so I quit in less than 3 weeks. However last year I rejoined, got a mentor (Tev Clark) from Underground I read all the forums and I learned how to win an progress to the intermediate level. Which is where it becomes more fun because right use of money, sliders, and builds make the difference and it is intriguing. My point is if we have to boost the amount of new players that reach the intermediate level with more quality training because it will make the game more fun and more users will come back everyday to spend their money because on average more fighters can progress faster if an owner can put on manual training caps. Thus making Mike Tycoon happy and the new community happy. I also agree with Action Jackson about being able to own both gyms and increasing the amount of cash because in the start you are pretty much broke and if you don't know how to win to increase your hype and free agent farm or become a top beginning player to get high $ for your project fighters you are screwed. I'm speaking as an ex-newb. Then they quit the game. No bueno.

Agree training speed and fighter development is an issue. I don't think adding a hard cap to class sessions is the way to go about it though. Nothing wrong with the idea - it doesn't hurt anybody and provides control - but definitely not gonna help retain a user by any means.

imo...

I say speed the game up 33%. It's a universal learning curve. Everybody, vets included, speed up. It'll also help fighters who declined catch up quicker. Since we have a hard cap on skill points, it aint like people will get so far ahead others can't catch up...

instead, people catch up quicker, to provide more frequent fair fights.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Increase the game speed by 33% and I'll never touch an org again. I think you underestimate how casual some people play this and I'd want nothing to do with needing to deal with people 33% faster when it's already fairly common for people to drag their ass.

I messaged Mike regarding this but my idea was to separate how teaching worked in private and public gyms. The problem I see now is that any improvements to a public setting will effect the private gym. The game uses some system to tell if a gym is private or public to calculate extra VIP cost so that could be applied here. A true public gym could see the same results with a 6 man session as a private gyms 3 man session but the large public class would still never be as efficient as 1-2 man sessions in a private gym. The above is an example, I'm sure the number would need to be played with.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Increase 33% and running an org would be easier because more fighters would be fight ready. There wouldn't be people cooking fighters for six months, one year, before their official career kicks off.

It takes well over an IRL year to max your fighter out. A noob that joins this game and creates fighters won't have a single fighter ready to compete in a legit top org for at least a year and a half, maybe 2 or 4 years if he butchers his first batch of builds.

33% increase isn't crazy. Instead of gaining 1000 skills point in X amount of time, you'll gain 1330 skill points. Let's say it takes a year. So in that year where you would normally have 1000 points gained you'll now have an extra two elite stats.

That would apply to every fighter in the game, old and young, (Obviously learning speed impacts that gains rate...) and would be much better overall for orgs and users alike.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I remember a few "Semi-Private" gyms way back when. It was basically a "Private Gym" but not for the owner or alliance...you had to message the owner, and if there was enough room ,they'd let you in, and there were very strict rules about class sizes and sparring. I think one was called Bee'z Nest (?). I remember getting in there and seeing the Message Board and it was awesome. People calling each other out for fucking up a session (so it wouldn't happen again), people setting up ultra sparring sessions and working out the schedules. Lots of managers working together to get top training for their guys.

Creativity in this type of game goes a long way.

Having said that, I have my own gym, but I would love to be able to open up another one and do something like that.

Something that maybe you don't throw all your guys in, but you definitely don't waste a fast learner on high class sizes and shitty sparring. Everyone that joins has to "donate" some type of sparring partner (110 or above) and get a lot of different managers working together (and honestly, getting to know each other somewhat) for the greater good of the fighters. A gym people talk about and try to recruit people to. Seems fun and could help a lot of noobs, especially since money isn't a big deal for a lot of managers here.

• Upvote 2

If you speed up the game though than slow learners with top tier hiddens will struggle though. The game will be temporarily ruled by fast learners. We already have that with the 18 vs 25 year old's when a new ID is released.

It closes the gap. It's already that way. Fast 18 vs slow 18. 6-9 months blown em out water. This way your slow learner catches up quicker. Everybody reaches skill cap quicker and everybody has a skill cap.

Also allows quicker fighter rollover to retain user base and new users get to participate in top orgs years sooner.

I remember a few "Semi-Private" gyms way back when. It was basically a "Private Gym" but not for the owner or alliance...you had to message the owner, and if there was enough room ,they'd let you in, and there were very strict rules about class sizes and sparring. I think one was called Bee'z Nest (?). I remember getting in there and seeing the Message Board and it was awesome. People calling each other out for fucking up a session (so it wouldn't happen again), people setting up ultra sparring sessions and working out the schedules. Lots of managers working together to get top training for their guys.

Creativity in this type of game goes a long

Holy shit. I forgot semi privates existed. I used to camp out on Highstreet a few minutes before Thursday's fees were paid, praying that I could take advantage of boot outs and hopefully get dibs on a spot.

I would also create fighters in cities with the best public gyms outside of my homebase just to reserve a spot for my project. I'd then fly my fighter out to that city during off peak hours and swap places.

Can't say I miss those times except for maybe the dopamine rush from getting a fighter in before everyone else bumrushed the door.

• Upvote 3

• 5 weeks later...

Holy shit. I forgot semi privates existed. I used to camp out on Highstreet a few minutes before Thursday's fees were paid, praying that I could take advantage of boot outs and hopefully get dibs on a spot.

I would also create fighters in cities with the best public gyms outside of my homebase just to reserve a spot for my project. I'd then fly my fighter out to that city during off peak hours and swap places.

Can't say I miss those times except for maybe the dopamine rush from getting a fighter in before everyone else bumrushed the door.

lol yeah, it was intense! i just had my island fighter switch gyms, and i think it's the first time i've switched to another gym since i did the eaton cox world tour lol.