Weight to Height ratio - Restricted weight?

Beck

A while back there was a thread about fighter height and to use supplements to change this, and that’s where my idea was posted and figured with a little backing in that thread, I’ll make a stand alone thread for it to gain more attention and hopefully have it implemented in the future.

Basically what I think should done is; restrict the weight based on a fighters height.

It is highly unrealistic to see 225cm tall fighters who weigh 135lbs and are able to have success in the game. So to prevent that from happening I think that on the creation page for fighters, once you put in the height of the fighter, the minimum weight they can be should be automatically added and only be allowed to be changed with higher values.

I do think that fighters should be able to get under the restricted weight by using supplements – but that would mean they are under fed and it should have effect on their physicals and perhaps hiddens and their fighting skills. Being under fed means the person is weaker, so less likely to have a lot of energy, less likely to be able to absorb punishment etc. Of course the more they under the weight, the stronger the effects become.

Another idea I have for this, is to implement a new hidden for weight cutting, but you will only get it if you select it when creating a fighter. This would allow us to see some unique fighters still who are able to fight heavyweight and drop down to welterweight like Rumble Johnson for example. Seeing as the weight cutting in MMAT is not like real life, I am not sure either if there should be penalties here or factors to determin a tough weight cut etc.

If you do not select the hidden, you’d have the same weight cutting skills as the rest based on the current method in MMAT.

I am not sure if there should be a max weight for certain heights, but hopefully that can be discussed in the thread too. You got to keep in mind that muscle mass weigh more than fat mass.

Hopefully we’ll get a good discussion on this subject and see what the community thinks.

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 3

I like the idea, maybe on the fighter creation screen it can have a range of base weight to choose from that autopopulates when you choose a height like (146lbs - 177lbs)

Also,i mentioned this a LONG time ago,it would be nice to have a box in the fighter profile page where you can choose how much your fighter tries to weigh in at. For example, your 205er (base 224lbs) is fighting HW for a superfight and the HW is 245lbs id like to be able to tell my fighter to show up at 210bs to gain more of a speed/agility advantage if that might help me.

Lastly, Daniel Cormier fights 205 right now and makes weight, 230lb guys can make weight at 205, it would be nice to have weight cutting as a hidden because some fighters are better than others at it naturally. Cut too much for your fighter and hes too drained, miss weight and the fight goes on but you forfeit 20% of your win bonus (if you win) to the opponent.

All in all,good idea i just hope it doesnt get ridiculed like most ideas here

• Upvote 2

I like the idea, maybe on the fighter creation screen it can have a range of base weight to choose from that autopopulates when you choose a height like (146lbs - 177lbs)

Also,i mentioned this a LONG time ago,it would be nice to have a box in the fighter profile page where you can choose how much your fighter tries to weigh in at. For example, your 205er (base 224lbs) is fighting HW for a superfight and the HW is 245lbs id like to be able to tell my fighter to show up at 21bs to gain more of a speed/agility advantage if that might help me.

Lastly, Daniel Cormier fights 205 right now and makes weight, 230lb guys can make weight at 205, it would be nice to have weight cutting as a hidden because some fighters are better than others at it naturally. Cut too much for your fighter and hes too drained, miss weight and the fight goes on but you forfeit 20% of your win bonus (if you win) to the opponent.

All in all,good idea i just hope it doesnt get ridiculed like most ideas here

a box would be nice to help with the weight cut for sure, it could add a lot to tactics and the overal gameplay. It would also be cool if you could determin when the weight cut starts, because if you try do do a rapid weight cut in fight week you probably be able to get a lot of weight back come fight time. In the game you could implement this so the weighin is actually a day before the fight/event too. Then the effects (the weight you gain back, energy etc. )of your weight cut are determined in the 24 hours after + in your fight.

• Upvote 1

Like this idea... and I like the idea of NOT cutting weight. Sucks to have to take a fighter off of recovery just so I can add weight when my natural weight is still in the weight class (i.e- a created weight of 144 shouldn't drop to 129 for a fight in 145).

Like this idea... and I like the idea of NOT cutting weight. Sucks to have to take a fighter off of recovery just so I can add weight when my natural weight is still in the weight class (i.e- a created weight of 144 shouldn't drop to 129 for a fight in 145).

As far as I know you don't. He will only cut weight to fight at 135

Nope, he will cut no matter weight class he is signed at. Have a fighter that before I used the weight gain on him would weigh in at 129 for 145 pound fight.

Nope, he will cut no matter weight class he is signed at. Have a fighter that before I used the weight gain on him would weigh in at 129 for 145 pound fight.

Where can you see what weight they weighed in with though? I always just assumed to if you got a 155lbs fighter fighting in the 145lbs division, he would cut to make 145lbs, not like 140lbs just because he can do that haha

Where can you see what weight they weighed in with though? I always just assumed to if you got a 155lbs fighter fighting in the 145lbs division, he would cut to make 145lbs, not like 140lbs just because he can do that haha

You can't, he's making it up. And he's of course completely wrong about fighters cutting even when they don't have to.

• Upvote 1

Just a quick photoshop :D I figure we could perhaps use sliders for height and weight. Note: The weight is not accurate and is just to show how it could be done.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2zyaaoj.jpg

Above fighter is 187,5 Cm tall - His minimum weight would be 177lbs.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/5x1v2v.jpg

Above fighter is 225cm tall - His minimum weight would be 240lbs.

These weights could be based on a condition level of useless - thus the higher the condition gets, the more weight they could cut.

It would be cool to see if this is doable with coding, where the minimum weight adjust to whatever height you select - and only being allowed to add weight.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Yep,totally incorrect.... The forums right now might just be enduring the worst period of time since ive joined. Trolls who have nothing better to do

Wasn't fuckin trolling.. I was wrong. I'm an idiot. I was under the impression that a fighter cut weight no matter what, I was wrong. Not the first time I was wrong.. certainly won't be the last time but it wasn't trolling.

Great idea and explanation Beck.

I'm 100% for this but I don't think it needs to be complicated. The way character creation works now, Mike has a way to stop invalid entries. For example, if you try to put just 1 in conditioning the form tells you that conditioning must be at least 20.

I think this could (possibly) be done simply by requiring that natural weight is put in first. If you are beyond the new height/weight restrictions, the form will tell you "please select a height value between X and X". If you try to set height first the form will tell you "Please select your weight first".

I also like the idea of a penalty for extreme weight cutting. I love the enigmas in this game, so I'd personally prefer Mike to implement that "behind the scenes" so that there's some mystery about how much cutting a fighter can get away with.

A hidden for ability to cut would be good too, but I have a feeling that's harder for Mike to achieve (I could be wrong of course).

• Upvote 2

Call me oldschool but I'm a fan of it the way it is.

Edit: To clarify I agree w/ what you guys are saying about crazy height/weight combos, and maybe there should be stronger disadvantages in certain areas for having such ridiculous fighters, but realism shouldn't be used as a reason simply because there are a lot of unrealistic things about this great game. If people enjoy having absurd fighters why take that from them? Just don't build or fight them. I have seen fun tournaments based off of crazy weight/height ratios. Is it just a problem for you guys because of a particular advantage they have or for "realism" purposes? I seriously don't get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Edit: To clarify I agree w/ what you guys are saying about crazy height/weight combos, and maybe there should be stronger disadvantages in certain areas for having such ridiculous fighters, but realism shouldn't be used as a reason simply because there are a lot of unrealistic things about this great game. If people enjoy having absurd fighters why take that from them? Just don't build or fight them. I have seen fun tournaments based off of crazy weight/height ratios. Is it just a problem for you guys because of a particular advantage they have or for "realism" purposes? I seriously don't get it.

Took the neg away - in return I'll get a neg. Uh ohhhhhhh. :P But yeah, although I like the point Beck made, I agree with you more. This game is a role playing "fantasy" game. So, if someone wants to make a 300 lbs midget, let them. It's fantasy. We shouldn't try to make everything into pure realism otherwise the game kinda loses it's charm - well for me anyways.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

From my understanding the game is brought as a MMAManagement Sim game, and I'd figure that would come with a bigger sense of reality then instead of having the fantasy element in the unrealistic height to weight ratios.

At the end of the day, Mike would have to look at it and look at the pro's and cons from this and make a decision. Changes might happen, and they might not. Till then it's nice to see different point of views on the matter :)

It's not the most important thing that needs doing but it wouldd be better IMO. Having a fantay dimension to the game is fun, like the Island for example, I agree. And if Mike did something seperate from the main game for fun, like a place were freak builds are allowed .... Vampires vs Dwarves even ;) .... I would be the first to play. But the main game is a sport sim, not a fantasy game. What we are talking about in RL terms is George Foreman finishing his career at flyweight. It is a bit silly that this can happen. I don't even care about the "advantage", if it exists.

From what I understand, a guy who is 225 cm and 135 lbs will get KO'd by a strong breeze and will gas from one body kick, and a guy who is 150 cm and 300 lbs will gas before the fighter intros are finished. You can make fighters with ridiculous dimensions, but they won't win. I find even a guy who is 200cm and 230 lbs can't take much more than one or two body kicks.

If only that was the case, then it wouldn't be a 'big problem' haha. Hostility did a 150cm/300lbs created fighters only tournament a while back, so you could look it up yourself to how they were performing :) I checked a few matches and late 2nd or 3rd round you got a message someone was tired/breathing heavily, much like regular guys from what I can tell