Rate the last movie you saw ...

Uncut Gems- 5/10

Entertaining storyline, but lacking direction and unfortunately hurt by sub-par acting performances.

Hmm, I totally disagree. I had that movie as an 8/10.

That is high for me. I track all the movies I rate on IDMB, and I have under 30 movies a 9 or above out of 1300+. Another great film by the safdie brothers with their typical tense, stressful pacing. I thought the film showed a different flair visually for a few moments in the film(aside for their usual gritty style) that was well executed, and I thought Sandler was phenomenal as the lead. Overall, a great film, even if it didn't quite top their previous best work(Good Time).

Tenet 8/10

Incredible visual flair, cinematography, and pacing. Good acting as well, Patterson once again impressed me as he did in Lighthouse. I thought the script was actually a very original take on a (now) well tread concept(Time travel). I don't think anyone else has taken the approach Nolan did here, and while it asks a lot out of the viewer to follow it as usual, I though the experience was rewarding. Falls short of Nolan's best like Dark Knight, Inception, and Memento; all of which kept the thrilling tension but also finished with a bang. I'm a huge Nolan fan though, so all those three above count as favorites all-time, and I still thought this was the best movie I've seen in 2020. Demands a re-watch as well(maybe several).

Of course, It's Nolan, so for people that don't enjoy his style, this will probably seem indecipherable and a waste of time. Personally, I'd rather a director make something so deep in their own style it is divisive(Tenet) than make a movie that strips all the best qualities of their style in order to shoot for general critical appeal(Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). All fellow Tarantino fans in my circle though that movie was overrated and a big disappointment.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tenet 8/10

Incredible visual flair, cinematography, and pacing. Good acting as well, Patterson once again impressed me as he did in Lighthouse. I thought the script was actually a very original take on a (now) well tread concept(Time travel). I don't think anyone else has taken the approach Nolan did here, and while it asks a lot out of the viewer to follow it as usual, I though the experience was rewarding. Falls short of Nolan's best like Dark Knight, Inception, and Memento; all of which kept the thrilling tension but also finished with a bang. I'm a huge Nolan fan though, so all those three above count as favorites all-time, and I still thought this was the best movie I've seen in 2020. Demands a re-watch as well(maybe several).

Of course, It's Nolan, so for people that don't enjoy his style, this will probably seem indecipherable and a waste of time. Personally, I'd rather a director make something so deep in their own style it is divisive(Tenet) than make a movie that strips all the best qualities of their style in order to shoot for general critical appeal(Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). All fellow Tarantino fans in my circle though that movie was overrated and a big disappointment.

Once Upon a Time was excellent and probably the best movie last year

It wasn`t done to please anyone, it was done as a throwback to the Hollywood of old, before the gangs, before BLM, before everything that made Hollywood changed.

Your circle simply didn`t get it.

I bet they were all like: OMG that`s not even the real story, in reality they all get killed... I ARE SO DISAPPOINT

Keyword: Fiction

Once Upon a Time was excellent and probably the best movie last year

It wasn`t done to please anyone, it was done as a throwback to the Hollywood of old, before the gangs, before BLM, before everything that made Hollywood changed.

Your circle simply didn`t get it.

I bet they were all like: OMG that`s not even the real story, in reality they all get killed... I ARE SO DISAPPOINT

Keyword: Fiction

Lol what? It had nothing to do with the movie not following the facts of the story, what a dumb assumption. Why would I care or even expect for that to happen in a Tarantino movie? It had to do with the fact the movie was a poorly paced, unfocused mess compared to other Tarantino movies. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had a deeper understanding of the older Hollywood time period, I'll give it that, but on the surface level(Pacing, Tension, Characterization, etc.) it was a big disappointment to me. I feel like a lot of the praise comes from the toned down version of Tarantino's style, but it just didn't work for me.

I can respect that you really enjoyed it, but personally, I'd have plenty ahead of it from 2019.

• Upvote 1

Lol what? It had nothing to do with the movie not following the facts of the story, what a dumb assumption. Why would I care or even expect for that to happen in a Tarantino movie? It had to do with the fact the movie was a poorly paced, unfocused mess compared to other Tarantino movies. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had a deeper understanding of the older Hollywood time period, I'll give it that, but on the surface level(Pacing, Tension, Characterization, etc.) it was a big disappointment to me. I feel like a lot of the praise comes from the toned down version of Tarantino's style, but it just didn't work for me.

I can respect that you really enjoyed it, but personally, I'd have plenty ahead of it from 2019.

Fair enough, if you guys got it but simply disliked it I can hespect that.

I went to see a 9/10 for sure most Tycooners will not get the 1st watch, and probably the 2nd watch also lol

Tenet

I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E

I might go rewatch this tomorrow again before we enter code red on Thursday here in Montreal.

Just the perfect experience, me and my gurl in an empty theater.

My gurl is mad smart, and she did a minor in physics at McGill before moving to another path her dad set for her. Holy shit, that movie was intense and very complicated.

I`m still digesting it... or it might be the tacos. woteva 9 outta 10 !

• 3 weeks later...

Fair enough, if you guys got it but simply disliked it I can hespect that.

I went to see a 9/10 for sure most Tycooners will not get the 1st watch, and probably the 2nd watch also lol

Tenet

I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E

I might go rewatch this tomorrow again before we enter code red on Thursday here in Montreal.

I need to re-watch this film again for sure. Got the majority of it, but I had a hard time following the last 20 minutes. It felt like my bladder was gonna burst but I didn't want to miss anything. Made it hard to focus. One of the all-time most satisfying trips to the urinal afterwards. No more large drinks for me during 2 hours+ movies.

Either way, I really enjoyed it, but I feel like I'll have a more clear opinion on 2nd watch.

O Brother, Where Art Thou 7/10

For the most part, it was just the right blend of absurdity for laughs and some genuinely well-made scenes. It does fall flat at times(and may not be for everyone humor wise), but when it hits it's funny as hell. Not quite up there with the best Coen brothers movies I've seen(No Country for Old Men, Big Lebowski, Fargo, and True Grit), but it was a very good movie that is absolutely worth the watch.

• Upvote 1

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm 6/10

This was an enjoyable watch that did get some good laughs out of me, but I think it focuses too much on current events, and (possibly because of covid-19) there isn't enough of the candid footage that made the first movie a classic. Even though it falls quite a bit short of the 1st, it's still worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...