PSUMike's Intermediate Fighter Guide

PSUMike

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to clinch[||||||||||||||||||||||||||]Stay on the outside

distance, ty very much.

If you haven't noticed stay on the outside is effective for sprawl & brawl because they have to shoot from further away. Similarly I'd imagine if you keep it somewhere in the middle your fighter will be changing distance often enough to limit kicks against them a bit. It might be wise to add this to the improvements forum so we could get something more like this

Stay Close

distance, ty very much.

If you haven't noticed stay on the outside is effective for sprawl & brawl because they have to shoot from further away. Similarly I'd imagine if you keep it somewhere in the middle your fighter will be changing distance often enough to limit kicks against them a bit. It might be wise to add this to the improvements forum so we could get something more like this

Stay Close

That slider determines how many times you will attempt to clinch. Nothing else. Stay on the outside means "don't try to clinch". Sorry bud.

I am opposed to the idea of making cookie cutter builds once you know how to play the game. This is great for noobs, but once you get past that state of mind, venture out into the world and build your fighter according to what YOU believe is going to work.

Times are changing.

*edit* and slider tactics are half or more than half of the battle.

I just got to that point where I understand why the builds work. I then proceeded to make my own and if I hadn't botched up which box I put my numbers in it would have been fine lol. Instead I have a a guy with MT/Wrestling and MT/BJJ secondaries XD.

Even if you know what your doing sorta you can still be an epic fail.

*edit* sliders do seem to matter as much or more than skills. Hopefully I can manipulate the sliders to keep that guy from being a complete junk fighter.

I am opposed to the idea of making cookie cutter builds once you know how to play the game. This is great for noobs, but once you get past that state of mind, venture out into the world and build your fighter according to what YOU believe is going to work.

Times are changing.

I disagree. Starting out by specializing and having a certain road map to follow is brilliant. A lot of the builds you see on the top are usually variants of these builds. Sure, some might be more well-rounded, but they usually have one or two things they're better at than the rest.

Times are changing.

None of these are cookie cutter builds to be honest as they all hold intrinsic strengths and weaknesses that will make them better or worse against different opponents which means you have to adapt to the competition as well as follow the norm which will actually make a great deal of builds quite different.

The more you tweak, finesse, and customize a build the more it becomes your build. There are only so many things you can do. You are definitely right about what you said ^here and that's why I think the intermediate to advanced players need to start thinking on their own and figuring out for themselves what weaknesses/strengths their fighter and opponent possesses.

In order to step out of the intermediate box, you need to start thinking for yourself; reading this kind of guide keeps you in the box.

This guide will definitely help new players...I don't mean to hate on what he has done for the community by doing this post-guide. Just saying it's better to think for yourself once you've grasped the intermediate level of understanding.

The more you tweak, finesse, and customize a build the more it becomes your build. There are only so many things you can do. You are definitely right about what you said ^here and that's why I think the intermediate to advanced players need to start thinking on their own and figuring out for themselves what weaknesses/strengths their fighter and opponent possesses.

In order to step out of the intermediate box, you need to start thinking for yourself; reading this kind of guide keeps you in the box.

This guide will definitely help new players...I don't mean to hate on what he has done for the community by doing this post-guide. Just saying it's better to think for yourself once you've grasped the intermediate level of understanding.

Seeing as I've been training for my opponents and based on my fighter's strengths and weaknesses since I started playing this game, I fail to see how that's particularly advanced.

This guide doesn't keep anyone in the box. It provides general guidelines for building a fighter. It gives information on which things that might be more economical for your build.

Mike's original guide has helped me plenty, and I was hardly new at the time. I've bookmarked this guide for future reference, and I'm hardly a rookie.

This is good stuff, PSU Mike.

But by these standards, I'm not sure how many of my fighters could even be considered "intermediate," which is a bit discouraging . . . .

:mellow:

It means this game still has a long way to go. No orgs are doing PPVs on a regular basis either.

Like I said in my initial post, my goal for this is to bring different ideas and avenues to light that a manager could explore as his fighter progresses. Furthermore, I am only giving my recommendation as to what I personally feel is the best avenue to take. At the end of the day, no 2 Liddells will be the same so its all about taking what you have and working with it. You also have to adapt to the fighter your fighter will be facing in training. There are too many variables to say that they are cookie cutter styles.

• 3 weeks later...