Lawler vs MacDonald 2

With so much hype on Aldo vs Conner everyone forgot that these two great fighters are also fighting on the card. Who do you think will win this and why?

I personally think Robbie will take the hard fought decision. In his first fight he didn't seem bothered by MacDonalds jabs and takedowns and took round 3 like a boss. MacDonald seems to struggle at the end, he did look lost in the 3rd round against Robbie and the last round against Condit. Robbie meanwhile looks like a beast in championship rounds and doesn't seem like tired at all, the way he killed Hendricks at the 5th proves it. If this goes to 4th and 5th rounds I see Lawler taking it.

I would love to see Rory step up and win this fight. I don't know if it will happen and it all kinda depends on how much Rory has improved himself considering his age and how much Robby prepares for this fight. There is so many factors that go into close match ups like this but I can definitely see Rory coming out with a decision win. That is kinda all I see him getting since he isn't KOing Robbie and his submission game isn't exactly top notch.

I say Rory by split decision but Robby could very easily take it.

I would love to see Rory step up and win this fight. I don't know if it will happen and it all kinda depends on how much Rory has improved himself considering his age and how much Robby prepares for this fight. There is so many factors that go into close match ups like this but I can definitely see Rory coming out with a decision win. That is kinda all I see him getting since he isn't KOing Robbie and his submission game isn't exactly top notch.

I say Rory by split decision but Robby could very easily take it.

Ry Ry... Rory is a black belt fam, don't underestimate his submission game because he's a cold blooded psycho that prefers to punch your face in. He's very capable of submitting anybody.

He survived on the floor with Maia and did a metamoris grappling match with... JT Torres right? Rory is legit.

Ry Ry... Rory is a black belt fam, don't underestimate his submission game because he's a cold blooded psycho that prefers to punch your face in. He's very capable of submitting anybody.

He survived on the floor with Maia and did a metamoris grappling match with... JT Torres right? Rory is legit.

Yeah I agree man. I didn't mean to dismiss his grappling game it's just he is so focused on striking a submission seems very unlikely. It's not like we are talking like about Shields were a submission can happen at any moment. If Rory focused on getting a submission it would be possible but like you said, that isn't how he approaches the game. He puts his psycho killer face on and uses his fists.

Firas Zahabi is a gameplan wizard. He will fix Rory and he will win 49-46 or 50-45 decision.

It's good when someone can give you a good gameplant, but it's Robbie's gameplan to punch Rory's gameplan out of his head, which he will gladly do.

And Rory has subs, but he's not a sub machine and against a very experienced fighter I don't see him getting a submission victory.

Robbie also did some mistakes(ok, a lot) in the first fight and he won't do them again. His takedown defense for instance is improving and has improved from their last fight. And I think he's working on his kicks, cause Rory is very good with caching those and taking you to the ground, the new Robbie will kick only when necessary.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, Lawlers defensive wrestling is on a different level at the moment, since he's fought Hendricks twice. But I think MacDonald will beat him on the feet in rounds 1 and 2. Being cautious, avoiding the power and wearing Lawler down. Then later on, he will mix in takedowns and ground and pound and look for submissions. I don't know if he will get a finish, but I think it's a possibility. Especially if Lawler makes a mistake. Rory has the superior BJJ.

The thing is, Robbie never stops, he's like a zombie. 3,4,5 he doesn't care which round it is and he just keeps going forward. I think the strategy on his side will be to tire out Rory in the first two rounds and pick him apart in the later ones. A war is coming.

The thing is, Robbie never stops, he's like a zombie. 3,4,5 he doesn't care which round it is and he just keeps going forward. I think the strategy on his side will be to tire out Rory in the first two rounds and pick him apart in the later ones. A war is coming.

He was great in the Hendricks fight because he switched off round 2 and basically took a round off and let Hendricks win it. Rory won't let him switch off and I'm willing to bet Rory's cardio is better than Lawlers. But it doesn't really just come down to that, it's how much exertion in the fight and if they get hit and there is so many factors, but Robbie is all power and I think he will tire out before Rory does. But anything can happen, Lawlers power is immense.

I also seem to vaguely remember Robbie butterfly guarding Rory all over the place so people might be putting too much stock in Rory's top game. Who's the best guy he's beaten on the ground anyways, Che Mills?

• Downvote 1

I also seem to vaguely remember Robbie butterfly guarding Rory all over the place so people might be putting too much stock in Rory's top game. Who's the best guy he's beaten on the ground anyways, Che Mills?

BJ Penn who pretty much done at that point in his career but I am pretty sure he took him down and messed him up on the ground as well. Unless you mean finished on the ground then nevermind.

Robbie's grappling defense is underrated but Rory is young and constantly involving so it will be interesting to see if he can get anything accomplished in that aspect of that fight this time around. It will mostly come down to the stand up game tho IMO which is where Robbie has an advantage. If Rory doesn't adjust and improve from that last fight he might lose a close decision rather than avenging that loss.

i hope robbie wins it but i think rory learned from that first fight and went into that fight sort of hesitant worried about robbie's power -- i dont think he does that again and makes this a much better fight and probably edges out a ud -- but i still hope robbie finds a way to win

side note on this does anyone think that gsp might return if robbie wins?

I think Lawlor beats anyone else besides Rory in the world right now, he is an elite striker with the best power and most dynamic striker in the division in my mind..

BUT styles make fights and although the I love both fighters I'm gonna have to choose Rory in this one by UD. Rory is bigger, and I see him out pointing Lawlor with takedowns and chippy elbow strikes from the guard and see him engaging in a lot of clinch work with Lawlor to wear him down. By round 4 I expect it to be anyone's fight but I just think Rory will edge this one out. Never count of Lawlor though, it it a toss up.

i hope robbie wins it but i think rory learned from that first fight and went into that fight sort of hesitant worried about robbie's power -- i dont think he does that again and makes this a much better fight and probably edges out a ud -- but i still hope robbie finds a way to win

side note on this does anyone think that gsp might return if robbie wins?

I sure hope so,maps much as I love both GSP and Lawlor, if Lawlor wins this fight would be massive

I doubt Rory is that much bigger. He's obviously got a bigger frame though. Rory's takedowns from the outside are incredibly overrated though, and Robbie's TDD has looked on point lately. Clinching with Robbie is also a dangerous proposition because you put yourself in harm's way for both his hands and his hand trapping. Lawler also has more experience in five round fights and has shown fantastic cardio in both the Hendricks fights and the Brown fight. In addition, he successfully kept Rory off him on the ground last time and messed him up bad in the third. The more I think about it, the more I think Lawler either finishes him or wins a lopsided decision.

Obviously Rory is still young and improving, but Lawler looked a class above him last time imo.

^^^ Hmm.. I could see a Lawlor KO but I don't see a clear cut decision coming from Lawlor, you are correct on just about everything but as much as I love both fighters and honestly don't care who wins, I just feel this is a bad matchup for Lawlor the second time around.. Both guys have not stopped improving since which is the crazy thing, I just think at this point Rory's style and tools can beat anyone at WW right now. Obviously Lawlor's can to, but I'm really torn on who will win this fight, both such amazing fighters.