I am shocked

easedel

To get people to freaking spar on a schedule.

I have guys in gyms with near 100 people yet the max on sparring on some weeks is 3 people a day. Or some schedules where there are 4 people here, 5 people there.

Is it that difficult to have people spar on Tuesday Thursday & Saturday?

I am starting to wish i created 1 fighter per weight class in the same city so they could be in the same gym so i know id have sparring partners lol

From my understanding, the more people sparring, the better the chances of raising that skill.

I think its quality over quantity here isn't it?

From my understanding, the more people sparring, the better the chances of raising that skill.

depends also on the quality of sparing partners -- you got superb boxing and everyone else below you -- you dont gain anything -- same for ground you got purple belt and everyone else lower -- sparring doesnt get same effects.

Help pages:

"Sparring: You NEED fighters to be training at the same time otherwise you will not receive any training. Beyond that, it doesn't matter how many people are training with you. You will rotate with all available training partners during sparring."

Gyms

Problem solved ;)

Yet there is a better chance of fighters being above you when there are more people.

Why?

A lot of people seem to think that, and I don't know why. If you're a white belt in a class with 50 white belts, you're not going to improve as much as you would in a class with 3 other white belts and a blue belt. You just rotate with everyone there. The best possible place for you to be is in a tiny class with at least one top-level guy so you get a longer session with the top-level guy. Since there's not that many top-level guys per gym, it's almost certainly better to keep the classes small instead of cramming everyone into one session.

A lot of people seem to think that, and I don't know why. If you're a white belt in a class with 50 white belts, you're not going to improve as much as you would in a class with 3 other white belts and a blue belt. You just rotate with everyone there. The best possible place for you to be is in a tiny class with at least one top-level guy so you get a longer session with the top-level guy. Since there's not that many top-level guys per gym, it's almost certainly better to keep the classes small instead of cramming everyone into one session.

I think there is a better chance of finding people better then you when there are more people to a sparring session.

Just to clarify here. Even if your fighter has the highest skill in whatever the sparring is training, they will still gain at least something from it, right? I assume that has to be the case because then there would be no way to train black belts, etc, unless from the peripheral training you get from other skills.

That being said, how good would the training for a brown belt fighter be if he sparred with a few blue belts or purple belts?

so this could make the choosing of a gym much more interesting for me now that i fully understand. maybe gyms could try to entice people with specific skills by sponsorship, and in return they spar on a regular schedule, almost like having extra trainers. so for example, a gym could have 3 elite bjj trainers and sponsor another 6 bjj brown belts to promise to spar regularly and at the same time so that the standard is always high, creating a super bjj club. or same for a specific boxing gym or whatever. i know this could work for any gym with different trainers, but i think specific gyms is the way to go now that i grasp this concept

I never join in on the sparring sessions mentioned in gyms because you can tell there is going to be a bunch of white belts making it lame. Just find a few people who want to spare with you and put it on a day when its not the same as the gyms day

Just to clarify here. Even if your fighter has the highest skill in whatever the sparring is training, they will still gain at least something from it, right? I assume that has to be the case because then there would be no way to train black belts, etc, unless from the peripheral training you get from other skills.

That being said, how good would the training for a brown belt fighter be if he sparred with a few blue belts or purple belts?

Yes, a black belt would still improve even if he trains with just white belts... the level of improvement for all these combinations is for you guys to figure out though :)

what exactly is the deal with better training partners = bigger gains... isnt it all the same gain? you get a mark for training, and at 4 you pop... i thought that was basically the deal

what exactly is the deal with better training partners = bigger gains... isnt it all the same gain? you get a mark for training, and at 4 you pop... i thought that was basically the deal

better training partners = faster gains

is another way to say it. you pop in less time with better partners.

In gyms that I have multiple fighters training in, I just look for sparring sessions where no one signed up and then I put all my guys in there. For example, I have 3 fighters in Canadian Top Team. One is a stud wrestler, one brown belt, and one MT/purple belt. I have one session when my BJJ guy and my MT/BJJ train wrestling with my remarkable wrestler, etc. You experience better gains this way.

actually, those marks (--,-,+,++) represent a range of numbers

Lets say your punches are Competent-- Numeric value of 50

you train and gain 6 points to your punch skill

Now your punches are Competent+ Numeric value 56

You dont move one level at a time necessarily. I have had skills/attributes go from -- to ++ in one session.

Here are the breakdowns for the marks

-- is 0 to 2.4

- is 2.5 to 4.9

+ is 5 to 7.4

++ is 7.5 to 9.9

Does that clear things up for you?

In gyms that I have multiple fighters training in, I just look for sparring sessions where no one signed up and then I put all my guys in there. For example, I have 3 fighters in Canadian Top Team. One is a stud wrestler, one brown belt, and one MT/purple belt. I have one session when my BJJ guy and my MT/BJJ train wrestling with my remarkable wrestler, etc. You experience better gains this way.

If you ever want to set something up, I also have 7 fighters at CTT--and we have similar skills sets. I have three Purple Belts, one Proficient Muay Thai Fighter, and two respectable wrestlers that are about 2-3 points from popping to proficient, so if you're ever looking for some good training partners--drop me a line.

I think there is a better chance of finding people better then you when there are more people to a sparring session.

You also have a better chance of finding really bad sparring partners. You have to assume that your sparring is going to be around the average of the gyms skill. The more sparring partners the more likely it will be close to that average. If there are not many than there is as much chance for it to be under as above that average. So no, your statement is false.

The best way is to controll your sparring sessions, try to know who you are sparring with.

I tend to set my own sparring schedules with my guys simply because I know the skill levels they are training with. If anyone else is there cool, if not oh well.