X Com

Mentor

well that is a hell of a good deal for that money, what is the Long War 2 mod?

Its an official fan made partial-conversion mod. I used the long war mod for the first XCOM myself and loved it. It creates a longer, more complex campaign that presents players with more strategic choices and customization options. It adds a significant number of new soldier classes, abilities, weapons, armors, and usable items, and also introduces new features, including soldier fatigue and improvements to alien units over the course of the game.

I usually like to do a vanilla play through first then there are lots of great mods for the second play though that enhance the experience by quite a bit.

The Long War team have already released 5 MODs which will probably all be part of the Long War 2 mod:

Long War Toolbox

Long War Laser Pack

Long War Alien Pack

Long War Perk Pack

Long War SMG Pack

Long War Leader Pack

I use quite a few other mods as well, a lot of them are just cosmetic or more maps:

Quicker Start

Squad Notoriety

Squad Cohesion

Mission Time Remaining

Configurable Protect Device

Additional Icons

Show Enemies on Mission Planning

Stabilize Me!

Evac All

True Concealment

Reliable Smoke

Maps by Vozati

World Expansion Project: ADVENT

More Maps Pack

Uniforms Manager

Custom Face Paints

Military Camouflage Patterns

Ink and Paint

Full Character Customization from Start

Free the Hood

A Better ADVENT 2

Additional Mission Types

Gotcha

True Retroactive AWC

Stop Wasting My Time

Capnbubs Accessory Pack

• Upvote 2

X COM 2 is a great game. would like if some more DLC came out. Tough to play multiple playthroughs for me, I'm usually burnt out by the end of the first one. It'd be cool if console had mods for this type of game, spice things up a bit. Looks like the pc has a lot of cool options for it.

Rambo "War Daddy" Jackson - ( Assault/Ranger )

Elvis "Zero" Frost - ( Sniper )

My two primary xcom war heroes. Had em in the original xcom and recreated em in xcom 2. Fortunately they've never been killed in my playthroughs. I have lost a few guys who's loss was gut-wrenching at the time.

Been messing around with skyrim remastered version for xbox one but might catch a case of xcom fever haha. Maybe I'll switch it up and make some mmatycoon managers as the soldiers... though there's a few of you out there that I'd use as human shields.

I haven't finished xcom2 yet because I always play Ironman mode (no saves to replay missions). I dont mind losing guys here and there but if there is a mission that goes south and I lose my entire squad (which always seems to happen eventually) the rest of my soldiers are not always good enough to move forward and a lot of times they end up getting wiped the very next mission due to lack of any veterans to carry them. I end up having to start over quite often. This is why I use the mod 'quicker start' so I don't have to continuously play the opening mission.

Its like the movie 'Edge of Tomorrow' reliving the same battle over and over, each time getting a little better until I finally get it right :D

This is also why mods are hugely important, such as map packs and more mission types. It keeps things fresh so every playthrough is a little different.

Mods like 'squad noteriety' and 'squad cohesion' are pretty cool too, it's adds a lot to the personality of the soldiers.

I haven't finished xcom2 yet because I always play Ironman mode (no saves to replay missions). I dont mind losing guys here and there but if there is a mission that goes south and I lose my entire squad (which always seems to happen eventually) the rest of my soldiers are not always good enough to move forward and a lot of times they end up getting wiped the very next mission due to lack of any veterans to carry them. I end up having to start over quite often. This is why I use the mod 'quicker start' so I don't have to continuously play the opening mission.

Its like the movie 'Edge of Tomorrow' reliving the same battle over and over, each time getting a little better until I finally get it right :D

This is also why mods are hugely important, such as map packs and more mission types. It keeps things fresh so every playthrough is a little different.

Mods like 'squad noteriety' and 'squad cohesion' are pretty cool too, it's adds a lot to the personality of the soldiers.

I would love if xbox one had some of those. I like most details that adds elements of realism and personality. New maps would be great too. Sometimes I'm craving Human vs Human fights because I don't always want gun battles with aliens lol. Would be cool if they had an XCOM style game (quality of xcom) but with modernized warfare and no aliens.

I play on ironman too but I haven't had that issue in Xcom 2 except later in the game when I try to get some younger guys experience in a random not-so-important mission. Only time I've ever lost a whole squad is if I try to send some rookies out there. You can evacuate at any point in time if shit gets too hectic. I had to do that once that I can recall. Had my lead ranger lead a squad of squaddies out there who got obliterated due to lack of proper equipment. Instead of losing my best ranger, who I consider my commander, I had to haul his ass outta there. Anyway...

I always go for satellites/soldier upgrade perks asap for extra money per month and extra xp + extra squad members. I do a pretty good job with my soldier rotation, especially as the game goes on. I can probably wipe out most maps with 1 Ranger and 1 Sniper at Colonel level, so the rest of the squad are just extra guns that I can rotate regularly. I lose a few guys early on and the occasional rookie later in the game, but I think I completed it on Ironman with less than 10 deaths and I did waaaay more missions than I need to because I like to complete every little aspect there is through the first playthrough (research, facilities, items, achievements).

Typical squad consist of:

2-3 Rangers 1 Sniper 1 Heavy 1-2 Support

if I'm really lazy I'll add an extra heavy because the high-tech rocket launchers do a lot of damage and destroy a bunch of cover. and my heavy guys tend to be anti-robot oriented.

I think that if you lose everyone (or close to) in a mission, you will most likely need to reboot in this game. I guess you could maybe get away with if you have really advanced tech and armor, but that is about it. I try to have 1 or 2 rookies i "build up" during each mission just to make sure i have a good replacement if someone gets killed. I also try to avoid restarting a mission i failed. One thing i do use is cheat codes for lowering the progress of the avatar project, that way i can screw around and complete missions without feeling the urgency of completing the main mission quickly.

My latest play through its going very well, I think I'll be able to get to the end game with the crew I have now. Because of getting lucky with early game RNG I ended up getting a lot of engineers early on which allowed to to build up my base super fast so my squad is beefed up pretty good. I find XCOM 2 a lot more unforgiving than XCOM 1 was. One little mistake like accidentally triggering 3 alien pods at once or something like that can turn disastrous pretty quick. Its why I love and hate the game so much at the same time! I tend to get impatient and rush my guys forward too fast, so it's been a challenge to control myself and be more strategic.

I think that if you lose everyone (or close to) in a mission, you will most likely need to reboot in this game. I guess you could maybe get away with if you have really advanced tech and armor, but that is about it. I try to have 1 or 2 rookies i "build up" during each mission just to make sure i have a good replacement if someone gets killed. I also try to avoid restarting a mission i failed. One thing i do use is cheat codes for lowering the progress of the avatar project, that way i can screw around and complete missions without feeling the urgency of completing the main mission quickly.

I do all the missions but don't go out of my way to stop the avatar bar from maxing out. After it maxes out just raid one of the facilities and it lowers it. But you have X amount of time, like 30 days or something, to fuck around and do whatever before you "lose game" and just knock stuff out and then raid alien base/facility before the timer goes off and you'll be fine. No need to stress that avatar timer or go out of the way to stop it from maxing out.

My latest play through its going very well, I think I'll be able to get to the end game with the crew I have now. Because of getting lucky with early game RNG I ended up getting a lot of engineers early on which allowed to to build up my base super fast so my squad is beefed up pretty good. I find XCOM 2 a lot more unforgiving than XCOM 1 was. One little mistake like accidentally triggering 3 alien pods at once or something like that can turn disastrous pretty quick. Its why I love and hate the game so much at the same time! I tend to get impatient and rush my guys forward too fast, so it's been a challenge to control myself and be more strategic.

Yeah that's what happens to me sometimes. Impatient and send one poor soul out way too quickly near the end of the turn. It's good to have rangers and snipers out there with a certain skill set that let's their turn continue if they kill an enemy.

Personally I find the beginning of the game way more enjoyable than the end of the game. Once I get to a certain point it kinda just gets "vanilla" or something I think is the way to describe it. Find the beginning of the game, and the enemies in the beginning of the game, much more realistic and enjoyable.

Yeah XCOM 2 had some good character customization, i remember that i made an exact same copy of Linda Hamilton/Sarah Connor from Terminator 2, very good.

Character customization was a huge improvement from the last title. I especially enjoyed the biographies for new recruits, even if they were limited.

Do you play with the same strategy everytime? I find the game pretty different depending if it's a military, tech, diplomatic or score victory

Tried a few; but I never end up not having a good enough army to at least defend well -- so the tactics just get samey after that; diplo / score / tech all feel virtually identical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...