Bisping vs GSP

No matter how happy I am to see GSP back in the cage a title shot straight away really?

I get he is a legend and was a champion but years away from the sport, guys fight all there life to get a shot plus that div is stacked for #1 contenders. Romeo/Musasassi/Jacre

They should of put him in with a top 10 name IMO rather than a title shot

• Upvote 1

My understanding is the UFC is not really a profitable company when you factor in the payments on the huge amount the new owners borrowed to purchase it. They are probably going to be making nothing but profit orientated decisions for the next few years. Bisping/GSP will have huge PPV numbers.

If McGregor is going to be difficult for the UFC to book for the foreseeable future, this is probably the biggest fight they can put on in terms of ppv sales.

• Upvote 1

bisping wins.

he is bigger, maybe stronger, and i think he can definitely stop the takedown. although even if he does get taken he will be able to get back up just like in the chael fight. i also think he outstrikes gsp. it really is a great thing that bisping is coming in the underdog. gonna win great money from this fight. bisping unanimous decision.

bisping wins.

he is bigger, maybe stronger, and i think he can definitely stop the takedown. although even if he does get taken he will be able to get back up just like in the chael fight. i also think he outstrikes gsp. it really is a great thing that bisping is coming in the underdog. gonna win great money from this fight. bisping unanimous decision.

No chance - GSP looks back to his best. Might be a bit rusty but no way does Bisping beat arguably the best fighter in MMA history.

I think this fight is just as tough as the Romero fight if not tougher.

Sounds like a great fight, GSP's last fight was so close it could have been a loss for him not to mention he almost got koed by a roided up Hendricks. It will be a very close bout but I would give it to GSP, he can take it to the ground for sure with Bisping and the striking will be a slight edge for the champ. GSP is not dumb enough to stand and bang with a guy that has boxing on that level. But he can definitely hang in there in the striking game assuming he is near the same level when he left. Honestly his striking seemed a bit lacking when he left but he has a great fight IQ and a great corner behind him. GSP by majority decision.

I'm not a fan of this decision. If GSP wins, he will fight fucking Jacare, Romero, Weidman or Rockhold who will all make GSP look like a Featherweight fighter. Maybe GSP's body can't handle the weight cut anymore but I still think a WW shot or a decent warmup fight at 185 makes way more sense..

Poor Romero man.

After listening to Dave Meltzer talk about this fight I'm a bit bemused about it been a title fight at all, seem's to me based on what Dave had to say that any opponent that GSP could face following a win (and that is a possible outcome if not the most likely given the lay off) would be really bad for GSP... what's the point?

Happy to see GSP comes back but this is just bizarre. How can you let GSP fight a MW champ for his comeback fight when both Jacare and Romero are there waiting. I expect a terrible fight since Bisping looked bad against Hendo and GSP probably performing awfully with that long ring rust.

It could mean bad news for GSP come the first title defense but I already saw that coming of course. Who knows if the weight cut is too much for him, all I know is Woodley could defo take his head off and Thompson can also even though Thompson may not have the heart to do that (he is kind of like GSP like that I find). It might just be that GSP and his team see fighting at WW as a likely loss and this is for sure the best possible way to go about seeking a win at this point. If anything this is a pretty good comeback fight compared to going back for the 170 lbs title.

At the end of the day it's not like GSP broke his leg brutally and is coming back a different fighter, the layoff thing only goes so far and ring rust can't be too much of an issue. He's been in the gym this whole time so I do not see ring rust as any issue.

No matter how happy I am to see GSP back in the cage a title shot straight away really?

I get he is a legend and was a champion but years away from the sport, guys fight all there life to get a shot plus that div is stacked for #1 contenders. Romeo/Musasassi/Jacre

They should of put him in with a top 10 name IMO rather than a title shot

I think this is to squeeze last pennies from his name. GSP is not getting any younger, had loooong break, and now everything is perfect to take belt from Bisping. I don't know how well GSP physically is, but Bisping is for sure someone who can be beaten... other guys? Well, I wouldn't bet on GSP against others.

Actually I wouldn't bet on him even against Bisping

I think this is to squeeze last pennies from his name. GSP is not getting any younger, had loooong break, and now everything is perfect to take belt from Bisping. I don't know how well GSP physically is, but Bisping is for sure someone who can be beaten... other guys? Well, I wouldn't bet on GSP against others.

Actually I wouldn't bet on him even against Bisping

GSP is 35 - far from old.

From videos he looks back at his best, might be a bit rusty but will certainly be a competitive fight - I reckon 48-47 GSP.

Fuck the UFC. It went from a competitive sport to simply booking of whoever sells. They might as well start giving title shots to whoever has the best promotions of their fights because the way things are going, "who is the best" is irrelevant it seems. I think the UFC needs to rethink the way they book fights.

The title should remain for "who is the best" and should always be, between the champ and the top contender or next in line for the belt, that is how it always was and how it should be. This shit storm all began with Conor, with his jumping around the weight classes, putting him on the card against Diaz in a non-title fight, simply to sell the PPV. But this is not the only case, we had the Lesnar scenario, now this with Bisping. People like Khabil, Ferguson and Jacare/Romero should be fighting for titles, but are forced to sit around while the champ's in their division take money fights or wait for them to play around with other sports (talking about Conor and Boxing).

GSP has never fought competitively at MW and he has not been fighting in years. I think the best option would be to give Romero the title shot against Bisping and put Jacare with GSP in the top contender fight. That would sell 2 major PPV events without any problem and would be a huge build up for the title shot. It also makes sense due to GSP's long layoff. I also think both those PPV's would sell as good if not better. I mean who would you put Romero / Jacare to fight now? You cannot really put them into random bullshit fights again, they should be headlining now. Both are in their late 30s and they have faced each other already.

• Downvote 1

No chance - GSP looks back to his best. Might be a bit rusty but no way does Bisping beat arguably the best fighter in MMA history.

I think this fight is just as tough as the Romero fight if not tougher.

No way GSP is the harder fight. Romero is a better wrestler than GSP, is heavier and hits harder.

bellator is more fun now

I think you are right, i was not even watching their events until 7-8 months ago, but as of late i am watching them with almost the same amount of interest. I would say that the standard of fighters is still a little worse off, but overall the shows and fights are about as entertaining.

I kinda agree with Mentor, I feel like the title should always be legitimate and the contender should always be legitimate, that does not mean you cannot have big name fighters running around doing things like they have but just do so outside of the title picture, after a certain point a fighter can become bigger than the title anyway in the sense they won't need it to bring numbers in the door but they may very well not be the caliber of fighter to actually contend for a title at that point and that's fine! the problem comes when you have a guy like Connor holding up multiple divisions for literally years on end... just strip the guy and have him be a luxury attraction fighter and let the divisions maintain credibility outside of that.

• Upvote 2

I kinda agree with Mentor, I feel like the title should always be legitimate and the contender should always be legitimate, that does not mean you cannot have big name fighters running around doing things like they have but just do so outside of the title picture, after a certain point a fighter can become bigger than the title anyway in the sense they won't need it to bring numbers in the door but they may very well not be the caliber of fighter to actually contend for a title at that point and that's fine! the problem comes when you have a guy like Connor holding up multiple divisions for literally years on end... just strip the guy and have him be a luxury attraction fighter and let the divisions maintain credibility outside of that.

I think they should strip Connor at this point. He gets the honours of "former LW and FW champion of the world" and can have a title shot upon his return but to hold things up like some Primadonna it's not looking good for anyone. You would think he would have fought someone by now but it really is getting a bit much. Eventually people will start saying he's got ring rust because of how long he's been on the shelf not fighting.

• Downvote 1

I think they should strip Connor at this point. He gets the honours of "former LW and FW champion of the world" and can have a title shot upon his return but to hold things up like some Primadonna it's not looking good for anyone. You would think he would have fought someone by now but it really is getting a bit much. Eventually people will start saying he's got ring rust because of how long he's been on the shelf not fighting.

Can not strip him lol. Everyone one forgets how active he is. He should be stripped if he aint going to defend the belt but for all we know his next fight could be his first defence.

He has not even been away that long

Can not strip him lol. Everyone one forgets how active he is. He should be stripped if he aint going to defend the belt but for all we know his next fight could be his first defence.

He has not even been away that long

We are going on 4 months now with no plans at all of any fights to defend any titles. Usually by the 4 month mark a champion actually has the next fight deal signed and set for like 6-8 months in the future. But that didn't happen and Mcgregor is looking for money fights that nobody will take against him. He is wasting his time trying to do that because he just wants to fight little guys he can beat and they are all scared because he's got such a reach and weight advantage, usually they are little guys that walk around at like 160 lbs.

He is looking for sure shot wins where he has every advantage and he makes tons of money - it's not very sportmanlike.

And I love the guy, he is a great fighter and did some great things so far but he needs to defend the belt if he wants to keep it. Shit or get off the pot.

I used to say "give him a break" but no champ has ever really done this before you know.

We are going on 4 months now with no plans at all of any fights to defend any titles. Usually by the 4 month mark a champion actually has the next fight deal signed and set for like 6-8 months in the future. But that didn't happen and Mcgregor is looking for money fights that nobody will take against him. He is wasting his time trying to do that because he just wants to fight little guys he can beat and they are all scared because he's got such a reach and weight advantage, usually they are little guys that walk around at like 160 lbs.

He is looking for sure shot wins where he has every advantage and he makes tons of money - it's not very sportmanlike.

And I love the guy, he is a great fighter and did some great things so far but he needs to defend the belt if he wants to keep it. Shit or get off the pot.

I used to say "give him a break" but no champ has ever really done this before you know.

Completely agree he should be stripped, he fought three times as the 145 pound champ yet never even considered defending it despite having 3 top contenders waiting. He's fought quite often so it doesn't bother me that he's taking some time off especially since he's having a kid but we all know the last thing he's gonna do is defend that belt. He will look toward Mayweather first. I bet it will be a year before he even considers defending that belt and that will probably only be against Nate again who won't be deserving anyway.

We might actually see a khabib/ferguson fight before we see a conor title defense.