MMA Trading Card Game (ISO: Graphic Designer/Artist)

Over the course of roughly 2 years, I've slowly been working on a MMA Trading Card Game in my spare time. In that time, I believe I've developed a diverse system that showcases all facets of MMA in a balanced, engaging, & diverse way.

Just as a fan of both MMA & TCGs, I've looked into other MMA related card games on the market such as Uncaged, Deckfighters, MMA Federation, etc. I found them all extremely sub-par for many reasons but mainly due to the lack of depth, strategy, & customization when compared to the big, mainstream card games (magic, yugioh, etc).

That being said, I think i've finally been able to accurately capture the art form in an accurate, fun way. I've already had all the cards professionally printed with placeholder images. I then had the game play tested with friends, family, & people at my local hobby/game shops. All with varying levels of knowledge & familiarity of strategy card games & MMA. I've worked out all the "bugs", exploits, & mechanics for a variety of play styles to be enjoyable & viable.

I'm making this post because i'm ready to move forward with the next phase of making this game a reality: official card artwork.

As of right now, their are 231 cards i'm in need of images for. I'm looking not only just for graphic artists but ones that are interested & decently knowledgeable of MMA. My vision for the art style is an anime aesthetic a la Hajime no Ippo, Teppu, etc. However, I'm open to other ideas, concepts, & styles!

With each card i can give a brief description about the fighter (nationality, size, expression, real life inspiration), techniques (source images for the real technique), events, etc which leaves a decent amount of artistic freedom.

This is a really big passion project of mine, which if i'm being honest, I'm nervously excited about moving forward with.

I have & know of multiple platforms & channels to contact artists with but this is the first place publicly i'm reaching out through.

So if you're interested or know someone that would possibly be interested, PM me in game & we can talk further details.

• Upvote 7

Hope this comes good sounds like my type of thing

I'm no graphic artist but I would play the hell out of a well designed MMA TCG.

Thanks for showing interest in the actual game itself guys! I'm actually communicating & in negotiations with several artists right now in regards to the illustrations. I will most certainly keep you guys posted!

That's pretty cool, I grew up playing competitive TCG's and of course I enjoy MMA, pretty keen to see how this turns out. I'm a little worried about the niche in this genre mashup if you're going the physical route, a huge issue in most traditional TCG's is establishing a playerbase and just getting more new eyes on your game over the others being released even if the product is good. A big mistake I think even large companies make is ignoring an online market, creating an accessible online version and supporting that is something I feel most of the games I like growing up are missing.

Assuming this isn't going to be a virtual TCG anyway and honestly, it'd probably fair better online. Very likely a cheaper product to maintain after the initial investment and gives you the ability to get invested into the balancing of the game after you let a general population break all your card effects(I hope you didn't even get close to sorting out all unintended card interactions :P ). or go the extra distance to create an official competitive scene.

• Upvote 1

That's pretty cool, I grew up playing competitive TCG's and of course I enjoy MMA, pretty keen to see how this turns out. I'm a little worried about the niche in this genre mashup if you're going the physical route, a huge issue in most traditional TCG's is establishing a playerbase and just getting more new eyes on your game over the others being released even if the product is good. A big mistake I think even large companies make is ignoring an online market, creating an accessible online version and supporting that is something I feel most of the games I like growing up are missing.

Assuming this isn't going to be a virtual TCG anyway and honestly, it'd probably fair better online. Very likely a cheaper product to maintain after the initial investment and gives you the ability to get invested into the balancing of the game after you let a general population break all your card effects(I hope you didn't even get close to sorting out all unintended card interactions :P ). or go the extra distance to create an official competitive scene.

To be honest, I also thought you could fare better doing this in a digital environment. The market you would be looking for is a fairly small niche, and it seems to me like uniting potential users so that their community is active would be so much more doable online. The money you save by establishing a downstream supply line could be better invested in promoting your product, or hosting online events / launch parties/ etc.

Building further on this, this does not mean you completely avoid the physical market, but I think that you will see much more success if you try to engage your client base after you have built an online presence.

My 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

For those that were interested, I've had a single graphic artist I've hired working on the card illustrations. Their are several other behind-the-scenes things involving the game I've been able to accomplish as well during this time. As for the illustrations, 90 of them are completed with 141 left to go.

• Upvote 1

For those that were interested, I've had a single graphic artist I've hired working on the card illustrations. Their are several other behind-the-scenes things involving the game I've been able to accomplish as well during this time. As for the illustrations, 90 of them are completed with 141 left to go.

Give us a sneak preview of one of the cards?!

• 2 months later...

Again wanted to update everyone, only 91 images left to go! With it being a single artist who also works on other things it has & will take some time but it's given me plenty of time to do the less glamorous behind-the-scenes business side of the game.

Give us a sneak preview of one of the cards?!

Sorry I missed this reply awhile back Bwang! I don't want to post any images of the cards quite yet. I've paid the artist but not in full yet so it wouldn't feel right to post her images even in this setting.

• 1 year later...