Primary vs. secondary for success in performing secondary in fight

SeanJuan

Good evening,

I apologize if this is somewhere on here. I did a quick search and did not see it, but by all means if it's in a thread or on the Wiki somewhere, I'd be glad to read there.

Anyhow, my question involves secondary skills and how they relate to their associated primaries. I realize this might not exactly correlate for things such as clinchwork and striking defense, but I'll try to keep it more basic in asking my question.

I think my question will be best asked via examples:

If the opponent they all face is the same individual, which of the following fighters would have the best success taking him down:

- The fighter with 15 (elite) wrestling and 1 (abysmal) takedown offense

- The fighter with 8 wrestling and 8 takedown offense

- Or the fighter with 1 wrestling, and 15 takedown offense.

Or similarly, which fighter would throw better elbows?

- 15 MT, 1 elbows

- 8 MT, 8 elbows (I suddenly wonder if octopi have elbows)

- 1 MT, 15 elbows

To ask in more general terms, to be successful at a specific secondary skill in a fight, is it better to have strength in the secondary, it's associate primary, or is it a balance between both (and if so, is it even)?

In a sense, I would almost think it would make sense that it were the even balance, and that the success would be some formula involving a product of the 2 (so the first and last example above would be even at 15, while the second fighter would be over four times better at 64).

Rather than randomly speculate, if anyone can clarify this, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

the one with 8 Wrestling/8 takedowns will be a better wrestler. Same with elbows. Depending on the style of fighter you are trying to build, you may want to go ( 15primary/1 secondary, vice-versa) as a surprise element, but it is always wise to put at least something in your secondary to be more effective.

• Upvote 1

Thank you. Does anyone know if the skills weigh evenly, or if it's say, 70% secondary, 30% primary? I've just been considering making a few new fighters, and wonder what the skills of say, a Chuck Liddell-style fighter might look like if my main concern wrestling-wise would be to stuff takedowns and keep it on the feet.

Your answer has been helpful, and any addiitional detail would be even better. Thanks!