Boring?

kenlow73

I went Orc. Rage special ability was so fun.

To answer the OP though, yes there are definitely some boring ass fights, and I catch the vast majority of events, so I'm not a casual. I personally enjoy the tense, technical counterstriking that some call boring(Big Chida Fan), but there have been some horrible striking fights(Lewis-Ngannou is probably one of the worst I've seen). I'm generally more bothered by lay and pray/clinch stall types, but even there I have a high tolerance compared to the average fan. However, is anyone going to claim they get more hyped by seeing someone like Usman or Merab on the card over an action grappler like Brendan Allen or Chris Weidman? All types of grappling can be exciting with the right matchup, but the most interesting are the ones who take their opponent to the ground to do damage.

Usman's style is definitely on of the more boring for me, although at least in the Woodley fight he actually did damage in the clinch. This fight he seemed skittish of the striking and mostly just stalled. It was boring as hell IMO. Effective though, so I can't hate on it, I just hope they give him good grapplers or guys who can counter of the back foot from now on. I don't want to see another defense that plays out like Usman-Masvidal.

I blame Woodley

Also, I would love to see Usman against a bonafide leglocker like Toquinho.

Yes, Demian Maia is a BJJ monster and he CAN leglock, but he is Oldschool BJJ, brazilians think leglocks are dirty cheap and "hail mary move".
Try clinch stalling like that a bonafide leglocker and you are in for some torn ACL

EDIT:
Usman game is all about foward pressuring with the clinch until he pins you on the cage.
Maia dealt with this trying to take the back and got stuck with a whizzer on R1
A bonafide leglocker, like Ryan Hall/Garry Tonon/Palhares would drop as soon as he felt that forward pressure

Also, I would love to see Usman against a bonafide leglocker like Toquinho.

Yes, Demian Maia is a BJJ monster and he CAN leglock, but he is Oldschool BJJ, brazilians think leglocks are dirty cheap and "hail mary move".

Try clinch stalling like that a bonafide leglocker and you are in for some torn ACL

EDIT:

Usman game is all about foward pressuring with the clinch until he pins you on the cage.

Maia dealt with this trying to take the back and got stuck with a whizzer on R1

A bonafide leglocker, like Ryan Hall/Garry Tonon/Palhares would drop as soon as he felt that forward pressure

I use a similar sumi gaeshi-based entry into leg locks, even in wall wrestling. The problem with it is that it only really works if you have plenty of space behind you in my experience. Usman usually punches his way in and enters the clinch fairly close to the fence, which smothers entries like this. I can see people getting it if they frame his face off and start angling off, but at that point it's safer to just keep angling and get away from Usman imo.

There's a reason why most of Hall's/Tonon's standing leg entries come from the Imanari roll in the middle of the cage. If you end up close to the fence it's hard to get the right angle on the leg, and the opponent can fairly easily stack you and crumple you up against the wall.

I don't really see anyone leg locking Usman from the bottom either. Most (if not all) leg entries from the bottom requires their hips to be elevated, and good luck elevating a 210 lbs block of marble who refuses to pass your half guard lol.

I use a similar sumi gaeshi-based entry into leg locks, even in wall wrestling. The problem with it is that it only really works if you have plenty of space behind you in my experience. Usman usually punches his way in and enters the clinch fairly close to the fence, which smothers entries like this. I can see people getting it if they frame his face off and start angling off, but at that point it's safer to just keep angling and get away from Usman imo.

There's a reason why most of Hall's/Tonon's standing leg entries come from the Imanari roll in the middle of the cage. If you end up close to the fence it's hard to get the right angle on the leg, and the opponent can fairly easily stack you and crumple you up against the wall.

I don't really see anyone leg locking Usman from the bottom either. Most (if not all) leg entries from the bottom requires their hips to be elevated, and good luck elevating a 210 lbs block of marble who refuses to pass your half guard lol.

Thats why I think Palhares was the best bet. Tono and Hall are too light anywya and I dont know of any leglocker that fights at 185. BTW, did you see Palhares JACKED LIKE A BLUE BELGIAN for his figgr against Tonon in 2018? Scary as fuck.

About the fence, Palhares did a drop like this almost pinned, when he was angling sideways, against Mike Pierce a few times. Thats how he got the kneebar that got him banmed from UFC lol

EDIT: I was using cell phone, thats why so much typos up there ^^^, sorry about that

images.png

160331-news-agro-2.png

"Got Juice? "

Palhares was one of those fighters I was wrong about. I thought dude was champion caliber material. When he was winging spinning wheel kicks and rocked Hendo I was like oh shit, this dude is legit. Then he got Belcher'd lol.

We both mate

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Snoozeman is typically a boring fighter imo but Colby vs Usman was one of the better championship fights of all time.

I like Burns odds vs Usman. Looking forward to it actually. I don't think fighters "resist" the cage control as much when they're not being damaged or threatened.

Yeah Burns looked crazy good against Woodley. Can't see how Usman wins this, does he really want to take Burns to the mat? The guy is one of the few mama fighters that can hang in a bjj discussion with Maia, Jacare and Werdum.

When i heard that they were fighting and Usman was the one moving camp that clinched it for me. Not often teammates fight but when they do it's usually the contender that has to leave. The champ leaving just makes me think he knows he needs to pick up some more skills to win to the camp have picked their winner.