NBA 2017/2018 Season

Mentor

Lebron putting up a monster game tonight to tie up the series with little to no help from his teammates. I don't see how he doesn't win the MVP this year over Harden, he's just been more impressive all year long imo.

The playoffs do not count towards his MVP.

To me it is debatable on what you are judging here, if the question is "who is the best player" then Lebron should win it the past 8 years. But that is not how the NBA works, they take into consideration various things such as "importance to his own team, win record of the team, total stats" but there is also other things such as "sympathy and tiredness". If someone has already won it 3-4 times, people simply want to vote for someone else for the sake of it, also many people are arguing that Harden was a top 2 MVP candidate in 3 of the past 4 years and he always fell short. This year with his team being #1 as well, i think he will be given the award. Offensively you could argue that Harden is more versatile. Better FT, 3pt shooter, better overall passer of the ball, makes fewer turnovers as well. He also got better in defense this year, even though he is average at best in that department.

All in all though, i think Lebron should of had AT LEAST 2 more MVP awards, the Rose year and the first Curry year for sure. I think Westbrook's MVP voting was not right last year, he got it due to the average triple double, however i think you cannot compare his triple double with Oscar Robinson. First of all, there is more possessions now due to the pace of the game, Westbrook was on a terrible team and he had the highest all time usage rate ever. Everyone knows he had a lot of very "padded" stats, especially uncontested rebounds and meaningless assists. They still ended up 6th in the rankings, were eliminated in the first round and his efficiency ratings were terrible as well. Funniest thing of all? He averaged a triple double this year and nobody is even mentioning his name.

I've been surprised by the Boston series as well but I think it's more of an indictment on Milwaukee and how much they've just under-achieved all year with the talent that they have which I think we'll prove in the next round if we come up against Boston. They're still going to be the team to beat in the east next year though unless Lebron really does come to the 76ers in which case that makes us the odds on favorite.

I'm curious who's going to win the Kawhi sweepstakes though

The playoffs do not count towards his MVP.

To me it is debatable on what you are judging here, if the question is "who is the best player" then Lebron should win it the past 8 years. But that is not how the NBA works, they take into consideration various things such as "importance to his own team, win record of the team, total stats" but there is also other things such as "sympathy and tiredness". If someone has already won it 3-4 times, people simply want to vote for someone else for the sake of it, also many people are arguing that Harden was a top 2 MVP candidate in 3 of the past 4 years and he always fell short. This year with his team being #1 as well, i think he will be given the award. Offensively you could argue that Harden is more versatile. Better FT, 3pt shooter, better overall passer of the ball, makes fewer turnovers as well. He also got better in defense this year, even though he is average at best in that department.

All in all though, i think Lebron should of had AT LEAST 2 more MVP awards, the Rose year and the first Curry year for sure. I think Westbrook's MVP voting was not right last year, he got it due to the average triple double, however i think you cannot compare his triple double with Oscar Robinson. First of all, there is more possessions now due to the pace of the game, Westbrook was on a terrible team and he had the highest all time usage rate ever. Everyone knows he had a lot of very "padded" stats, especially uncontested rebounds and meaningless assists. They still ended up 6th in the rankings, were eliminated in the first round and his efficiency ratings were terrible as well. Funniest thing of all? He averaged a triple double this year and nobody is even mentioning his name.

Obviously the playoffs dont count but those games did show a lot about importance to team. Harden played poorly and the rockets won by 20, lebron had to go off just to barely win. If were arguing importance Lebron runs away with that, the cavs would absolutely fall apart without him and become the suns. I just dont see the statistical advantage that harden has over lebron not to mention the fact that lebron played all 82. Lebron has more assists, rebounds, shoots 10% better from the field and even though you said harden is a better shooter their 3pt% was identical. Harden had 4.4 turnovers to lebrons 4.2. Not much of a difference but clearly harden doesnt make fewer turnovers as well especially considering he had broken turnover records in the past. The only thing Harden has is better free throw percentage and more points but I attribute that to harden shooting 4 more free throws a game without that it would be even.

Harden will win it but it ultimately comes down to one point that you made, sympathy. People feel like its his year like he was snubbed 2 previous years so this time well give it to him. To me thats just absurd and it should be about who had the best season but sadly that is how the nba works.

I'm curious who's going to win the Kawhi sweepstakes though

Yeah, loads of debate there. I was happen to be thinking about something that could work, these guys also had a radio show mentioning it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvRFPwJOM54

Basically the idea is to send the Spurs Ingram + Kuzma together with Deng contract + this years first round pick to get Leonard. The numbers will work out for the cap, they can take on those contracts and we have space. The Spurs will have potentially 2 future all stars in the making with Ingram and Kuzma, plus they get a potential starter with this years first round pick of the Cav's (The Spurs do a good job with drafting). The Spurs will be pretty good with the current team they have together with Ingram and Kuzma and the draft pick. They are competitive against GS and that is without those 2 on their team. The Spurs could actually make use of Deng in their rotation as well, they are good in maximizing veteran players. In 2 years time players like Parker, Ginobli, Deng, Gasol and maybe Aldridge will be gone, but they will have their building blocks for the future already in place.

For us it will be huge because we offload the Deng contract, this means we can resign Randle. This also means we can sign 2 max contracts, one is likely going to be George (unless they do really well in the playoffs) and the pressure will be on for Lebron. I mean a team with Leonard, Randle, Lonzo, George and Lebron should be able to take on anyone in the league. Once he signs, we could go over the cap and resign role players like Thomas (on a big 1 year deal) and Lopez. We also have Hart who is a solid backup SG.

Anyway, i do not think this type of deal is impossible.

ok it seems it is official, Leonard actually wants to come to LA (Leonard is from Leonard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxVMb0y2ONA

If that is true, then we have no real reason to trade for him. We can simply ride out 2018/19, sign George, resign Randle and we can keep our young guys.

I am very impressed by the Pelican's. Most people have them written off when Cousin's went down injured, not only did they make it to the playoffs, but they made it to the #6 seed. Now they have Swept the #3 seed Blazers in the first round and most of those games were relatively easy wins. I love it because the Pelicans are basically made up from other teams "rejects" plus Anthony Davis. Holiday was offloaded by the 76ers, he was a good player but never considered great. Rondo is considered way past his prime and has bounced around unsuccessfully in the past few years. Mirotic was fined earlier this year by the Bulls for getting into a fight and traded shortly after to New Orleans. If you have a look at their roster, they have a bunch of nobodies. The bad news for them is that next round they have GS, so this run will probably end soon.

This series between the pacers n cavs is playing out odd to me. I feel as if the pacers are barely hanging on (i am a pacers guy BTW). I love seeing how good they are doing. After tonights loss, idk if they can win this. It is all up to the next game.

One thing about pacers v cavs is that they never get smoked, and are always somehow in it. Just need to get Lance Stephenson to stop with the clinch takedowns and it will all be good. I think he went for some of those non-existent clinch elbows at the end there haha.

My only problem not trading for him mentor is other teams aren't gonna sit and wait if he's available. So if Boston trades for him, or philly or i've seen the twolves would offer wiggins in a package so if paired with KAT and jimmy b and he makes an nba or finals or possibly win one._._does he wanna play in LA so badly he walks away from a championship contending situation ?

My only problem not trading for him mentor is other teams aren't gonna sit and wait if he's available. So if Boston trades for him, or philly or i've seen the twolves would offer wiggins in a package so if paired with KAT and jimmy b and he makes an nba or finals or possibly win one._._does he wanna play in LA so badly he walks away from a championship contending situation ?

The scenario that many people are playing out now is basically the Lakers will send them Ingram + Ball + the first round pick in exchange for Leonard. This will open up enough space to sign George + Lebron assuming they stretch Deng. Then they can resign Randle, Thomas and Lopez and go over the cap because they are current members of the Lakers. I think this lineup:

Lebron

George

Leonard

Kuzma

Randle

With Lopez, Thomas, Hart and some role players can basically compete with anyone in the league. Not sure they can resign Lopez and Thomas though as it will probably give them a payroll close to 150 m. Lopez already said he would take a pay cut to play on a contender and would like to stay in LA.

For Leonard the best place to go is probably 76ers, i heard you could offer them Fultz and 2 picks. Personally if i was the Spurs i would take our offer of Ingram, Ball and 1 pick, Ingram is way more proven than Fultz and the 1 pick will likely be worth less than Ball.

Boston can offer Tatum and or Brown, but unless they are willing to give both of those, i still think our offer is better and if you was Boston would you give Tatum and Brown? I most certainly would not, i like those 2 players A LOT, i think Boston will be fine without Leonard next year if they can get Irving and Haywood back fully fit. Obviously if they can get Leonard with just one of those 2 players together with picks, then it is worth considering for sure.

I do not really rate Minnesota and rumors are Butler will be leaving next year anyway, i think the Spurs would be crazy to agree to an offer of Wiggins in a package, he is basically an over rated / under performing volume shooter who cannot be bothered to put consistent effort in his D.

Anyway, from what it seems he will either go nowhere or will go to one of those 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PjsfEQy1gs

More about that there.

Yeah I know we have the ability to make a trade for Kawhi and still bring in Lebron James. We'd probably have to offer Fultz, Covington and probably another contract like Justin Anderson or someone like that + possibly both pick 10 and 26 this year. And then we'd have to get rid of Bayless' contract to still get to 35+ mil in space to make a run at Lebron. Then we'd most likely re-sign Redick to the mid level exception to keep him in the fold as well.

I'm not even saying I want that to happen because quite honestly I'm not sure how Lebron fits with our team. The only way that fits imo is if Lebron is looking at Philly as a place he can come to extend his career and not have to be the catalyst for 35+ min a game all the time. He'd have to be willing to come here and let the ball be in Ben Simmons' hands and let it be his show and then just pick and choose his moments to assert himself onto the game. Because Ben Simmons' playing off the ball doesn't seem like it'd work and Lebron is used to dominating the ball. Same reason I don't see how him and Lonzo fit together if he were to go to LA. Ben and Lonzo would do nothing but kill your ability to space the floor playing off the ball.

Anyway I'd be willing to bet a lot of teams would try to make a run at Kawhi. Some of the offers I've seen for him so far are....

Clippers - A. Bradley, T. Harris, pick 12 & pick 13 this year

76ers - Fultz, Covington, pick 10 and pick 26

Lakers - Ingram, Ball + 1st round pick

Celtics - Brown + Horford + 2 of the 4 first round picks they have next year (Mem, LAC, Sac, own) for Kawhi and Gasol

But I could also see a few other teams try to get into the mix that have acquired assets over the years like Denver and Phoenix or a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. Or you could see teams maybe like the Wizards, Bucks or Blazers include one of their stars if they decides is time to break that shit up. Maybe a deal around Beal or McCollum or something like that. Speaking of this topic, if I were both of those teams I would be breaking it up.

I do not think the Clippers have much of a choice with that offer, also the Celtics will need to add at least 3 of their 4 picks to compete with the offer the 76ers and Lakers have there. I think the 76ers and Lakers offer is somewhat similar, it all depends what the Spurs hope they can get at that 10th spot in the draft. To be honest, what really matters here is what Leonard wants, if he actually wants to go to LA, then the Spurs will need to basically need to deal with us and we can probably get a discount due to it.

My personal opinion is that neither the 76ers or Boston really need to push anything, you are in a fantastic position as it is, you have at least 2 cornerstone All star players. If i was Boston or 76ers i would not try to go for Lebron for sure and i would not go "all in" for Leonard either. All you really need to do is keep flexibility, offload the bad contracts and resign the dudes you do have to good long term deals and you will be set. The Lakers on the other hand are not in such a good position, we do not have that all star type player and the young core we have are nice, but are unlikely to be transcendent players. At best they could be borderline all stars and that is about it. We also have a lot less options in the draft to bring in those top rookies, so our only option is to clear out all the cap space and try to land 3 top players and surround them with mid level exception role players. Due to the lack of general talent, those 3 super stars will need to be very versatile players, able to play in various roles, so Lebron, George and Leonard make sense. None are playmakers, but all can play make and my view is that big men these days do not need to be Elite, they need to rebound, finish at a high % at the rim and protect the paint. You can get those types cheap.

I have read a few articles and listened to some podcasts and they are basically saying that to land all 3 of them, we realistically need to offload Deng as well, either to the Spurs or somewhere else because even if we lets say stretch his contract, it will basically mean we wont have enough space to renew Randle AND land enough depth to be competitive. Also for us it is better to offload Ball and Ingram instead of Kuzma because they are earning 7m each next year and Kuzma is on under 7m. If we cannot offload Deng it means we can keep Kuzma, but it means no Randle. The ideal option for us is for Leonard to say he wants to join us, that will keep teams like Boston and 76ers out of the equation and it means we can make an offer of Ingram + Ball (still very good, but we can save that 1st round pick). Then hopefully we can offload the Deng contract with that 1st round pick, maybe a second rounder and someone lower ranking such as Zubac or Hart. If we can do that then i think we will be competing for the title next year.

I forgot to say, IF the Bucks get KOed by a Boston team without Haywood and Irving (and it seems that way now), then they should start by sacking the coach, that is absolutely pathetic. That is basically a team with Horford and 2-3 players with less than 3 years of NBA experience (Rozier, Larkin, Brown and Tatumn), How can that team be losing to a team with Giannis, Bledsoe, Middleton, Parker and last years ROY Brogdon? Full credit to the Boston coach, plus their undervalued talent. Their young guys are really putting on a show, but i do not see them getting past you guys, the Bucks have more chance i think.

I forgot to say, IF the Bucks get KOed by a Boston team without Haywood and Irving (and it seems that way now), then they should start by sacking the coach, that is absolutely pathetic. That is basically a team with Horford and 2-3 players with less than 3 years of NBA experience (Rozier, Larkin, Brown and Tatumn), How can that team be losing to a team with Giannis, Bledsoe, Middleton, Parker and last years ROY Brogdon? Full credit to the Boston coach, plus their undervalued talent. Their young guys are really putting on a show, but i do not see them getting past you guys, the Bucks have more chance i think.

I think we all underestimated the Celtics and how good they could still be. Fantastic coaching with a lot of young talent can really take them further than they should but now I question just how good Giannis is. For most he is a top 10 guy and many would argue top 5 but if he is at that level the Bucks should have come out on top tbh. The coaching obviously needs to change but for a guy we consider to be a superstar or damn near a superstar I expect more. The Bucks have plenty of talent that matches and even surpasses the talent the Celtics had imo. His stock took a big hit in this series.

Cavs in 6

76ers in 6

Rockets sweep

Warriors in 5

I think we all underestimated the Celtics and how good they could still be. Fantastic coaching with a lot of young talent can really take them further than they should but now I question just how good Giannis is. For most he is a top 10 guy and many would argue top 5 but if he is at that level the Bucks should have come out on top tbh. The coaching obviously needs to change but for a guy we consider to be a superstar or damn near a superstar I expect more. The Bucks have plenty of talent that matches and even surpasses the talent the Celtics had imo. His stock took a big hit in this series.

Cavs in 6

76ers in 6

Rockets sweep

Warriors in 5

Raptors blew a big one earlier. What a bad way to start the series. Come out strong in the first and choke out in the end. Celtics are really good despite not having their top 2 players. I don't think the rockets will sweep. Jazz gonna find a way sooner or later. I think warriors will sweep this one.

Interesting article I've read also. Leonard's got bad blood with parker and ginobli so he's most likely leaving.

All I can say is that it seems the Boston coach (Stevens) is a genius. First of all, he made Thomas a legit MVP candidate, he somehow managed to hide his obvious weaknesses and launch a team that gave a much deeper Cavs team a push. This year he took a depleted boston team to the 2nd seed, the he beat a Giannis team without his two super stars and against you guys he beat your team (which is CLEARLY more deep, talented and experiences) without 3 starters. But, that is not where this all ends, he has a very strong coaching philosophy if you pay close attention. His D is very impressive, he knows how to totally neutralize even the best driving players (Giannis, Simmons) and he knows how to defend the 3pt (best in the league, he killed you guys). Possibly he will have a problem with veterans, but that does not seem to be the case, he is getting the max out of an aging Horford, he got the most out of Thomas, he integrated Irving perfectly and in a short amount of time, without killing the team identity (so Irving is not simply "taking over" or in super man mode). The atmosphere seems to be very good in the team as well and his young players are playing with a lot of confidence. Not sure, but from what it seems, this dude could be the real thing.

As for the series:

GS will win in 5.

Houston in 5.

Cavs in 6

76ers in 6

He is 36 in May, so maybe it makes sense for him to move there this year, assuming he wants to play for them for 1-2 years. I read recently that he is willing to play for the Spurs for as a backup PG though, i guess a lot depends on what Popovich want's to do. 5-6 years ago he was saying he will retire with Duncan retired, but that was already 3 years ago, so i am not sure how long he has left.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think no one wants to talk about James going to LA because they dont want to admit I was right.

Renouncing Randle to sign Rondo is kind of confusing, so there must be something else in the works. I think the Spurs will knuckle under and send Leonard to the Lakers. I'd definitely rather have Leonard over George if I was James (assuming Leonard is healthy). I'd like to see the Magic help facilitate that deal, take Deng and a young prospect from LA to help make the #'s match while sending Vucevic or Fournier to the spurs.

• Upvote 1

Why hasnt lebron ever took a pay cut to sign more players.

He signed for a hair more than KD and Steph makes more than he does. LA is still 38mil under GS's cap. The Cavs without Lebron have a higher cap currently than LA. Even Houston is 20mil under Golden State. The real issue is GS is the Yankees of the NBA