Tips for Running a Successful Org?

mrfuji21

Hello everyone! I understand the basics of running an organisation, but how did you(as an org owner} start your org out. I need info like:

- Fighter Pay

- How much time is consumed

- How much does it cost to hire a writer

- Is hiring extra staff reccomended

- Hype/Pay ratio

- Making fair matches

- What weight classes to fill first, second, third, etc.

- The First Event

- Maintaining good ratings

- Any unknowns to running an org

- Merch Partners

I recommend starting out as an ID restricted organization. There is a milestone ID coming up very soon that would be a great one to base an organization around (200K+). When you recruit give preference to VIP managers and give them the best contracts because they are the most likely to be around for the long run. For non-VIPs check their activity level first (manager record), if they are pretty active then you can offer them decent contracts as well. Be careful recruiting fighters from 0-0-0 or similar record managers because a lot of them will go inactive right away.

When you are ID restricted it is a lot easier to offer fair match ups. When I started out I didnt set a restriction and it was almost impossible to keep the low ID fighters busy. I ended up having to let them go and set a 150k+ limit which worked out really well.

Hello everyone! I understand the basics of running an organisation, but how did you(as an org owner} start your org out. I need info like:

- Fighter Pay

- Hype/Pay ratio

- Making fair matches

- The First Event

- Merch Partners

this will help you a lot http://www.tycoontools.com/eventhelper.php

We are at 199560 right now so I would hold out and jump on the opportunity to be MMATycoons first ever 200k+ organization but that's just what I would do. The problem with that is all your fighters would have very low hype so it would take awhile to build your organization but that's part of the fun of starting out fresh in my opinion. Just book your events in the smallest arenas to start off.

You would have to be pretty aggressive with recruiting at the start, when I started out I tried recruiting all the new creations every day until I had a good solid base to work with. I got over 100 fighters in under a month but I think I partly just got lucky (started an org at the right place at the right time)

250-300k is enough for a very good start, that's around what I had.

Yes, I do agree with you. I'm not going to just jump into this either haha, so I was probably going to wait for that anyway. Should I start out with like 3 weight classes with ~8-10 guys a piece? That seems like the logical thing to do, and then add a weight class monthly. Also, what would you think the hype/pay ratio is? Whats the average pay for a fight who is 0-0-0?

Also, what city do you think would be the best to start an org in?

- Fighter Pay

- Hype/Pay ratio

- Making fair matches

- The First Event

- Merch Partners

For me, it was:

- I used a formula that took into account things like wins, losses, popularity > hype, reliable manager, etc. As an example, a completely new manager with a 0-0-0 fighter would generally get something like 500/500/750, a well established manager that I didn't know would get 1000/1000/1000, and I would increase that for managers that I knew or who already had fighters in the org. For a decently hyped guy (say ~2500 p4p) with an unknown manager, the pay might be something like 3000/2500/4500. Some people will offer much more than that (I've gotten 3000/3000/3000 offers for new fighters), but that would have sunk me starting out so expect to lose a lot of fighters to those orgs.

- It probably took 5-6 hours to get it started, then I spent a few hours per week on it. I had to work some weekends and nights at my last job, and a lot of that time was just monitoring equipment, so I put more time in on those shifts.

- It really depends on who you know, who's available, etc. Just ask around in the org and on the forums and see what people want to do.

- At first I didn't need it. Later on, the tedium made me look for it and eventually sell the org when a bunch of real life issues came up.

- I generally tried to match primaries in all cases, hype if possible, and fighter IDs in newish (less than 2-3 game years old) fighters. That being said, a lot of managers ended up requesting fights, so I'd generally send a message to the other manager to see if he was ok with the match-up and then offer it if he was.

- 170, 185, and 205 have historically been the easiest to fill for me. With about 40-50 fighters spread across three weightclasses, you can get events going.

- I lost money on the first couple of events, but it quickly became ultra-profitable. I probably ended up needing about $100,000 of startup capital to cover the initial losses.

- Always try to fill the arena. For the first event, don't go over 1000 people unless you're getting highly hyped fighters (I think I used the 750 seat one). Use free tickets to fill the seats and it will pay off in later events. Always try to fill the events also (10 fights).

- Some managers will decline fair fights constantly. It annoyed me at first until I realized that it is a management game, so more power to them if they're playing to protect their fighters. Also, a lot of new managers simply stop playing (~50% from my experience, and I didn't recruit managers who hadn't logged in since creating their accounts), so you get stuck with their fighters.

- Probably annoying, but I just spam messaged unpartnered companies to see if they were interested.

For me, it was:

- I used a formula that took into account things like wins, losses, popularity > hype, reliable manager, etc. As an example, a completely new manager with a 0-0-0 fighter would generally get something like 500/500/750, a well established manager that I didn't know would get 1000/1000/1000, and I would increase that for managers that I knew or who already had fighters in the org. For a decently hyped guy (say ~2500 p4p) with an unknown manager, the pay might be something like 3000/2500/4500. Some people will offer much more than that (I've gotten 3000/3000/3000 offers for new fighters), but that would have sunk me starting out so expect to lose a lot of fighters to those orgs.

- It probably took 5-6 hours to get it started, then I spent a few hours per week on it. I had to work some weekends and nights at my last job, and a lot of that time was just monitoring equipment, so I put more time in on those shifts.

- It really depends on who you know, who's available, etc. Just ask around in the org and on the forums and see what people want to do.

- At first I didn't need it. Later on, the tedium made me look for it and eventually sell the org when a bunch of real life issues came up.

- I generally tried to match primaries in all cases, hype if possible, and fighter IDs in newish (less than 2-3 game years old) fighters. That being said, a lot of managers ended up requesting fights, so I'd generally send a message to the other manager to see if he was ok with the match-up and then offer it if he was.

- 170, 185, and 205 have historically been the easiest to fill for me. With about 40-50 fighters spread across three weightclasses, you can get events going.

- I lost money on the first couple of events, but it quickly became ultra-profitable. I probably ended up needing about $100,000 of startup capital to cover the initial losses.

- Always try to fill the arena. For the first event, don't go over 1000 people unless you're getting highly hyped fighters (I think I used the 750 seat one). Use free tickets to fill the seats and it will pay off in later events. Always try to fill the events also (10 fights).

- Some managers will decline fair fights constantly. It annoyed me at first until I realized that it is a management game, so more power to them if they're playing to protect their fighters. Also, a lot of new managers simply stop playing (~50% from my experience, and I didn't recruit managers who hadn't logged in since creating their accounts), so you get stuck with their fighters.

- Probably annoying, but I just spam messaged unpartnered companies to see if they were interested.

Wow, thanks, this really gave me some extra ideas and info!

If anyone else would like to pitch in their org experiences, let me know. :P

The work load can be pretty intensive so I would highly recommend getting friends to work for your org and divy up the duties. Writers can vary from $5000 per week to as much as $15,000 per write-up or more. Usually you will be able to get someone to do it for around $5K per week and that works out well. As the org becomes more profitable then you should probably look to pay them more if for no other reason than to keep them interested as it is a time consuming and tedious duty... I know I am a writer for an org now and I was the writer for another org for quite a while.. I used to spend about three hours per write-up scouting all the fighters and such to make educated sounding previews and it got too much when my work schedule changed.

Also, as far as making fair matchups goes, look at the P4P rankings, ID and age of fighters, then look at what the Primaries look like. Most people would not be too happy, and thus will be more likely to decline if their Proficient/Woeful/Superb/Blue was sent an offer to fight a Sensational/Exceptional/Exceptional/Brown fighter. I know I would decline that fight.... and I have NEVER declined a fight.

I'm more inclined to agree with Barbossa than Mikejohnson here.

Don't recruit guys of varying levels. It makes it much too hard to make even fights. Choose an ID restriction. 200k will be a nice easy restriction to work with.

Don't offer less than 1000/1000/1000 for a 3-4 fight contract. It isn't fair to the fighters. Besides, experienced managers who know the game economics will not accept it and you will be stuck with a bunch of noobs who are likely to quit within a few days or weeks.

With an ID restriction, making fair fights should be easy. However, you still have to try to match 18 year olds with 18 year olds and 25 year olds with 25 year olds. The 25 year olds will eat the 18 year olds alive until their training catches up.

Give preference to VIP managers or those with an extensive historical record. It shows that they have been around a while and are unlikely to go inactive.

Do the writing yourself until your company is profitable. Your money is limited. You don't need to be wasting it hiring someone to do something you can do yourself. Once you are making money on events, then you can hire staff.

Require fighters to give reasons when they decline fights. Some managers have a good reason. For example, they want more training time. However, others are looking for easy fights to pad their records. Managers who are consistently declining with bad reasons or no reasons are not worth the effort to keep around.

Avoid 135 and 145 at first. I started with them, but it was really hard to build them up to a decent size because there just aren't that many of them. You can add them later when you are more established.

You will be approached by tons of other org owners asking you to become a feeder org for their more established org. Turn them down. They just want to poach your fighters as soon as they develop enough hype to be useful.

Use http://tycoontools.com/ for planning your events. It will help you set appropriate budgets and schedule your fights in the right order. You'll need to figure out the details yourself, but it is a good guide to work from.

To get good ratings, make sure to book 10 fights on every card. Sometimes guys go inactive and putting on 10 doesn't happen, but 8-9 is the absolute minimum.

At the beginning, most fighters will be hyped around the same in an ID restricted org, but eventually the cream will rise to the top. Make sure that every event has a solid main event and co-main event, because the bulk of your event rating comes from these two fights.

Use the micro arena for your first fight with premium tickets. Do not book a larger arena until you can sell out the micro arena with premium tickets. From there, use Tycoon Tools and event history to help you determine when you are ready to move up to bigger arenas.

Join an alliance. If you make a mistake or bite off more than you can chew, having alliance mates who can lend you $50k or $100k can be the difference between success and failure.

I can't think of any other tips at the moment, but I'll add more if I think of them.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Just recruit fighters that are over the limit you decide on. That's it really but I recommend letting people know in the "List of ID restricted orgs" thread -> http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26345 and I also recommend putting your ID limit at the end of your org name, for example my org name is Eternal Rivals {150k+}. That way people will know at first glance what ID your org is restricted to.

I started at 2000/2000/2000 for all more or less unhyped fighters (which is what your new folk will have)

It should only take a few hours a week to search for fighters and send contracts, renew contracts, make matchups, book events and award Of The Night bonuses.

A new writer can go for 5000 per article but they're in pretty high demand, I'd recommend you write for yourself until you start getting money in the bank then start offering 10 000 per preview/review.

I wouldn't bother with extra staff until you have a lot of events and fighters. To be honest I do everything myself.

Go to http://www.tycoontools.com and use the event helper once your fights are all confirmed for the event. Also download the GreaseMonkey scripts, it will put numbers next to hype/pop. But in the 'fighter list' screen of the org management page, it will list all fighters by hype/pop total, descending.

I match fights in ascending order of hype/pop by opening a shitload of fighter profiles from the list and then going counting their total primary points and matching them within a couple of points of that.

I recommend doubling up on some divisions, i.e. 135-145 all under 145, 170lbs, 185-205lbs under 205lbs, and possibly anything heavier under 265+ due to a relative lack of super heavyweights.

Obviously start off your first event in the smallest arena and advertise say 12 000, production values of 5000. Then go up from there. I generally advetise 20 000 for 700 person stadium, 25 000 for 1000 person, 55 000 for 2000, 80 000 for 3000. I also have a flat production value of 15 000 for any event I run as it has a cumulative effect. There are other factors such as hype and stuff which will effect the advertising cost and benefit.

A merch partner is nice but not necessary, don't sweat it :)

When searching for fighters to recruit, do what Nexus said and pick an ID number to start at. It doesn't HAVE to be ID restricted but you may choose you wan't no one above 155 000 ID initially as this will give a relatively level playing field. Over time you can pick and choose.

Also make sure you set the manager inactivity switch when you search. I never let it be higher than 3 days and I only ever search the local city as it is expensive and a pain in the arse to travel.

Also remember that championship bouts generate extra hype, so use that to your advantage.

I already answered your PM about that but it reminds me of a question I've had for quite awhile.

Does it make a difference if you set 8 fights and 8 happen or set 9 fights and 8 happen. Is there a bigger hype loss for setting 9 and having 8 than there is for setting 8 and having 8 (as opposed to having a full 10 fight card) hope this makes sense.

Posted Yesterday, 11:48 AM

I was all set to give this guy some advice from the perspective of someone who has recently gone though a lot of these things but looking at the org and the fact that all his personal stable is inactive I don't think there will be a need.

What amazes me with things like this is that with everyones inactivity being over 40 days now (he hasnt logged in since the last event to give any offers, so the shortest are those who fought on the last card- 30th november!) theres still 28 fighters signed. If it were my fighter Id be out soon as posible.