Ascension gets even bigger! + $4 Million - 16-man Featherweight Tournament

ludovik

All fighters from Hawthorne Camp will be rooting Waru Kuzuri to win this tournament. Some of them might even show up in few Kuzuri fights!!

• Upvote 1

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1374080529asc-lway.png

Long Way to the Top Preview

Hello ladies and gentleman! Dovik here for my first Ascension preview. It’s for a special cause as Mr. Chad – our preview guy – is a little busy. So this is a huuuge card. We have the first 8 fights of the 4 Million 145lbs Tournament with the winner also getting a title shot against #1 p4p Danny Power. We also have in our first fight and interesting bout at lightweight and in the main event we have two monsters facing each other for the right to fight Carl Creel for the heavyweight championship.

MAIN EVENT (Heavyweight bout)

"Granite Breaker" Emeka Shakur (32-10-1 MMA; 1-1 Ascension) vs "The Town Drunk" Mickey McFinnigan (15-3 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

This is such an epic fight! Shakur is an amazing fighter with elite striking and he faces McFinnigan, the last ONI champion and another elite striker. They’re so evenly matched on the feet that it’s almost impossible to figure out who would win this one standing. McFinnigan is making his debut after a great run at ONI and is looking to come over and unify the belts. They’re both brown belts in BJJ and though they never submitted anyone, they can really fight down there. The main advantage there would be Shakur’s wrestling over McFinnigan’s. The Irish likes to use all aspects of the clinch and he also likes to use his legs more than Shakur does. I really think it’s a toss up when it comes to striking but maybe one of them decide to use the wrestling to get better and in that case Shakur should have an advantadge. Shakur has been knocked out a few times and also got cuts that cost him fights, while McFinnigan has only been finished twice with ground and pound added by a loss via cut. I believe that McFinnigan will impose his will and win a narrow decision.

Pick: McFinnigan via Decision.

CO MAIN EVENT (Featherweight bout)

Chris "The Brick" Mullen (39-13-1 MMA; 0-0 Ascension) vs Chauncey "Nightcrow" Silvestre (24-11-1 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

Mullen is the #2 seed of the tournament and he faces a very well rounded fighter in Silvestre. Both guys have experience but I see Mullen having an advantage in that area as he faced tons of top fighters and he still does that. He argues that coming to this tournament will prove his status as one of the best fighters around the world. We already know that but who knows what could happen if Silvestre got the upset? He’s coming off a TKO loss and I believe that Mullen’s elite tricks will prove too much for him and “The Brick” will get a KO victory here.

Pick: Mullen via KO

MAIN CARD BOUT (Featherweight bout)

Red Fox (33-12 MMA; 4-3 Ascension) vs Torsti Turjake (30-12 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

This is a huuuge fight. Red Fox is the #4 seed, has solid skills everywhere and is a former ONI champion. Turjake was retired for a long time and took Sugarol’s spot when he wasn’t able to fight due to an injury. Fox had an easy fight in Sugarol but back luck came and gave him a tougher fight than expected. Turjake is a better fighter everywhere and he should take Fox to deep waters and overwhelm him. The main question here is: Will the ring rust take a toll on Turjake’s game? I don’t think so.

Pick: Turjake via TKO

MAIN CARD BOUT (Featherweight bout)

Meat "Like a bat out of hell" Loaf (20-6 MMA; 0-0 Ascension) vs "The Animal" Aaron Witt (23-2-1 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

This one is pretty interesting. Meat Loaf is a tough fighter. With just 150cm, he’s pretty muscle packed and his submissions are slick! Besides that his ground and pound is pretty effective and that’s what he used to win his last fight against… Aaron Witt. Yeah, that’s right. Both guys faced each other in their last appearance and Loaf dominated Witt inside the first half of the fight. Witt was a huge start in ALWC and went undefeated for a long time as their champion until he finally lost to Fred Jones. He adventured himself for a couple of fights later and got defeated by Loaf. Witt is currently under new management but I don’t think that will change the result of this fight.

Pick: Loaf via TKO

UNDERCARD BOUT (Featherweight bout)

"Poron Kusema" Pikku Näkäräinen (23-8-2 MMA; 0-0 Ascension) vs "Spitfire" Gegard Houellebecq (13-3 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

Näkäräinen is the top seed of the tournament and his ground skills are second to none! The guy will enter the ring with an elite wrestling and wearing a gi with a red belt on it. He has great striking to help him get the fight to the ground or hang in there against strikers. Houellebecq has a better striking but the gap is so huge when it goes to the ground - and listen to me, this one will reach the ground – that Näkäräinen is no match for the UPG veteran. If the upset does not happen, the#1 seed submission will come.

Pick: Näkäräinen via Submission

"Raging Pit Bull" Jake Lamotta (32-12-1 MMA; 0-0 Ascension) vs "Champagne" Charlie Magri (21-8 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

Lamotta has the skills to hang in there in every area and so does Magri. Magri is a former boxer so he has the advantage standing while the black belt Lamotta is better when it goes to the ground. So this one is basically about where this fight will go and I believe that Lamotta will find a way to drag Magri to the ground and submit him there.

Pick: Lamotta via Submission

Vevrin Betlach (36-16 MMA; 1-0 Ascension) vs "Wetwork Ninja" Waru Kuzuri (28-7 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

Betlach came into Ascension as Geezers Palace final lightweight champion and when he defeated Ed Gein (now Gein is a top contender) via decision, everyone thought he was next in line and would try to unify the belts. He decided to go for a super fight at Versus and ended up dominated by Kauko Partio. He then decided to drop to 145 and enter the tournament. That might be a wise idea and we see a pretty strong candidate for winner here. Kuzuri fought the majority of his career at ONI and he’s definitely a legend there and in the bantamweight/featherweight history. Kuzuri is not on a good run but his skills against Betlach are evenly matched. I believe that momentum is with Betlach and he’ll emerge winner in a tough decision.

Pick: Betlach via Decision

Scott Cain (29-12-2 MMA; 0-1 Ascension) vs Titus Garner (26-12-1 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

Cain was also one of the last Geezer’s champion and he came here to unify the featherweight belt against Power. He got defeated by the #1 P4P fighter in the world and he looks anxious to win this tournament and get some revenge. He’s an elite fighter and has the skills to defeat anyone out there. We can’t say the same about Empire veteran Titus Garner. He’s struggled recently and looks to get back in track here in Ascension. I don’t believe it will be against Cain and we’ll see a vintage performance by Cain.

Pick: Cain via Submission

Clint "The Manchester Nightmare" Lomax (42-9-1 MMA; 0-1 Ascension) vs "Yeaaah Motherfucker" MixMaster Me (17-10 MMA; 0-0 Ascension)

This one might seem close on paper but I don’t think it is. Lomax was never finished and it won’t happen in this fight. The guy is a living legend and his main goal is to keep his legacy rolling. He’d love to get revenge against Power and he has potential and skils to get there. MixMaster Me is not on his level and I believe his not in anyone’s level here. Don’t blink or you’ll miss it.

Pick: Lomax via KO

UNDERCARD BOUT (Lightweight bout)

"The Paraguayan Lion" Roque Barretto (30-10 MMA; 4-3 Ascension) vs Randolph Turpin (17-10 MMA; 1-2 Ascension)

Barretto wanted to recreate himself at 155lbs and facing Ed Gein in his first fight there would be a great test to prove that. He struggled a bit at 170 but it wasn’t different as he got knocked out cold with just 25 seconds. It’s tought to recover from such performance but he’ll try that against Turpin, who defeated the previously highly hyped Raphael Marciano in his Ascension debut but then lost back to back fights for La Plegua and Miller. Both guys like to bang but I believe that Barretto will try to mix it a little bit more and avoid Turpin, as the British has better striking.

Pick: Barretto via Decision.

My tournament picks

Silvestre vs. Mullen

Fox vs. Turjake

Loaf vs. Witt

Nakarainen vs. Houellebecq

Lamotta vs. Magri

Bertlach vs. Kuzuri

Cain vs. Garner

Lomax vs. Mixmaster Me

here is my picks and over all winner

nakarainn buy sub if it hits ground and hallebecq if it stays standing

magri tko /ko if it stays standing lamotta but sub if it hits ground

turjate by either ko tko /sub but will come late in fight as red fox is a tough fighter

meat loaf if it stays standing witt if it goes to ground by sub

mullen by tko/ko if it is kept standing

im picking belach by a decsion due to him having better mt and wrestling than kuzuri but kuzuri will bring it

cain sub/gnp if it hits ground garner by tko if it kept standing

lomax and mixmaster me will be a dec cant pick who though as to close to call

my picks to win over all vevrin betlach or chris mullen

Great event guys. Definitely some fantastic fights. I'll do a recap probably tomorrow about the fights and I'll send the next offers right away :)

KOTN: McFinnigan - Fantastic fight. Fantastic KO

SOTN: Lamotta - Only sub of the night but it was pretty straight forward.

FOTN: Nakarainen vs Houellebecq - If I could give it also to McFinnigan and Shakur it would be great. Both guys rocked each other and then next round... BOOOM. But take a look at this fight between #1 and #9. Back and forth and then a split decision to crown it. It could have gone either way.